All things swine flu (H1N1)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Prayers to this family.

No mention of any preceding health condition and she certainly looks healthy. I am reading about all these pregnant and new moms dying.. I would be scared to be pregnant right now.

I totally agree. I would be terrified to be pregnant right now. People would think I'm a freak when I didn't let them get near me without Lysoling them down and having them use hand sanitizer.
As it is, I will be traveling to Salt Lake over Christmas with my son who will be almost 7 months at the time. And it's making me so sick to my stomache worrying about him breathing the same recycled air as all those people, for the duration of a 3 hour flight, right in the middle of flu season and all this crazy H1N1 stuff.
A 14 year old girl died last Sunday here in Dallas, well, actually Tarrant County. She was completely healthy. Came down with flu-like symptoms Friday. Was refused hospital admittance and Tamiflu on Saturday. Was admitted Sunday morning and was dead by Sunday evening.

I'm not big on the flu shots. I haven't had the flu in 10 years, since I stopped getting the vaccine. I got the worst flu 3 years in a row when I got the vaccines. Yes, I know the vaccines are a dead form of the virus and can't actually give you the flu. But whether it just lowered my immunities enough to catch another strain, or something else, I don't know.
Now, I am having to decide what to do about getting the regular and H1N1 shots this year. I'm terrified of making the wrong decision. If I get the shot, I could get the flu (as is my experience) and would be putting my son in danger. If I don't get the shot, I could get the flu (less likely, in my experience) and put my son in danger. If I get HIM the shot, it may or may not help him, or may lower his immunities to where he catches something else, etc. Not to mention all the harmful chemicals they put in these vaccines like mercury, formaldehyde, aluminum, etc.

Trying to make these decisions feels like playing russian roulette with my son's life and I am HATING it.

I need to make a correction to my last post as I did it from memory, and my memory was incomplete. Here is the more correct information from Flutrackers.com. I found this posted by a moderator, and I feel sure in the public's interest, he or she won't mind me posting this.

"Link between immunoglobulin levels and H1N1 severity seen

The results of a study from three institutions in Melbourne, Australia, suggest that administering immunoglobulin to patients with severe H1N1 infection may mitigate the impact of the disease, particularly in pregnant women who appear to be more vulnerable.

The group assessed levels of total serum immunoglobulin as well as particular immunoglobulin subclasses in patients with moderate H1N1 infection and in those with severe cases requiring intensive care, some of whom were pregnant, as well as in uninfected pregnant women.

They found that pregnant women infected with H1N1 were more likely to have lower levels of immunoglobulin, and that levels were lower in severe cases than in mild ones. (Gordon CL: "Association between severe swine-origin influenza A virus [S-OIV] infection and immunoglobulin G2 subclass deficiency."

This is critical information that could save someone's life.

DES MOINES, Iowa – The swine flu virus has been confirmed in a cat treated at the Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine.

Officials said Wednesday it's the first known case of the virus to be diagnosed in a cat. Veterinarians say the virus has also been confirmed in two ferrets, one in Oregon and the other in Nebraska.

The 13-year-old cat was treated in Ames, Iowa, and is recovering.

The veterinarian who treated the cat, Dr. Brett Sponseller, says two of the three people in the same house had flu-like symptoms before the cat became ill.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091104/ap_on_he_me/us_swine_flu_cat

This flu is crossing over to all kinds of species, isn't it?

CRAP! Our cat is a SEVERE asthmatic. I have to drug her every day w/ Prednisone just to keep her alive. If she gets this, she will have no chance at all. :( Thanks for the "heads up."

Well the odds are still pretty small, given the number of cats in the U.S. but it was worth a heads up, anyways. I am not sure keeping them inside would make a LOT of difference, plus they may get stressed out if they are used to being outside sometimes. But if anyone who gets sick has cats or other animals, use the same precautions as you would with your other family members.

Well the odds are still pretty small, given the number of cats in the U.S. but it was worth a heads up, anyways. I am not sure keeping them inside would make a LOT of difference, plus they may get stressed out if they are used to being outside sometimes. But if anyone who gets sick has cats or other animals, use the same precautions as you would with your other family members.

The cat caught it from sick family members. I would suggest if anyone in your family comes down with it...leave the cat alone and if you touch it, wash your hands. Cats and ferrets are catching it from their owners

Yes, please, be a responsible pet owner and wash your cat's hands a few times a day.

Yes, please, be a responsible pet owner and wash your cat's hands a few times a day.

Nah - Just stick a pump of alcohol-based hand sanitizer next to the litter box.

Joking aside, I wonder if there will be a veterinary H1N1 vaccine for small animals.

The cat caught it from sick family members. I would suggest if anyone in your family comes down with it...leave the cat alone and if you touch it, wash your hands. Cats and ferrets are catching it from their owners

That's a tall order - my cats were always glued to me whenever I was bed-ridden with any type of illness. Poor kitties; it would be hard to explain how it's for their own good.

If anybody caught that blink, it was the right thought on the wrong thread. Sorry, my mind is all over the place.
What I was going to say here is are we sure that the cats are only catching it from us? Wouldn't it work both ways?

If cats can catch it I wonder if dogs can too?
We have a yorkie and if any of us are sick he won't leave your side. Our son has an ankle condition and he never complains of the pain. I always know he is having a flare up when the dog is laying on his feet. There is no way we could keep him away from us if we got sick.

Thank God the vet was able to treat the feline. Has there been a study done on this? If there's only been 2 cases with ferrets and 1 with a feline, are the sure it is the swine flu and not something else?
Otherwise i'd say the strain mutated very quickly; you'd think we'd have heard more about it affecting cats, ferrets, and other household fur family..

I have two cats and a dog and they all sleep with me. If I come down with the flu then there's going to be some unhappy critters.

http://www.qconline.com/archives/qco/display.php?id=465510

DES MOINES (AP) - A 13-year-old Iowa cat has been infected with swine flu, veterinary and federal officials said Wednesday, and it is believed to be the first case of the H1N1 virus in a feline.

The domestic shorthaired cat was treated last week at Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine in Ames and has recovered, officials said. The virus also has been confirmed in two ferrets - one in Oregon and the other in Nebraska - but they died.

"We've known certainly it's possible this could happen," said Centers for Disease Control and Prevention spokesman Tom Skinner. "This may be the first instance where we have documentation that transmission occurred involving cats or dogs."

The veterinarian who treated the cat, Dr. Brett Sponseller, said two of the three people in the cat's Iowa home had flu-like symptoms before the cat became ill. The case was confirmed at both Iowa State and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

I thought this was interesting.

Oh Great now we have to worry that are pets could give it to us or vis versa.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back