All things swine flu (H1N1)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This type of flu (swine ) is killing HEALTHY people. Where as the normal flu only kills the weak and elderly.
I'm going to rephrase your post.

'This flu variant is exhibiting a higher than normal incidence of serious infection in healthy adults.'

Does that sound any different? Other than having corrected the mistakes in your post., it says the exact same thing.

To address your first point. All flus can kill otherwise healthy people.

To address the second. "Normal" flus do not "only" kill "the weak and elderly".

The right word would be 'mostly'. A better description would include 'people with compromised immune systems'.

To be honest, I am also concerned about the demographics emerging in this episode.

I am also waiting for more data.

Reliable data.

Americans told to wear masks as swine flu spreads round globe

North of the border, in the US, doctors were advising people worried about the illness to buy painters’ masks from DIY stores as a precautionary measure. Authorities across the globe were torn between the imperative of slowing the spread of a potential flu pandemic and the need to avoid bringing every big city to a grinding halt.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article6173927.ece

This type of flu (swine ) is killing HEALTHY people. Where as the normal flu only kills the weak and elderly.

As MistyM pointed out in an earlier post, those with the strongest immune systems are affected the most due to an over-reaction of their own immune system. This is what was seen in 1918 as well with the secondary pneumonia being the real killer most the time and not just simply the flu.

Both flu strains can be lethal to anyone, the more common strains due tend to affect the weak and elderly (true for most infectious diseases though).

-BigTex

As far as I know that is Mexico City and I have no plans of going anywhere near there! Thanks for the heads up though.

ETA: I have not read one thing where EVERYTHING is closed.

Its all over CNN, they are reporting that everything is closed in Mexico.

Mexicos, cathedrals, and soccer fields are closed. Schools and universities are closed. Many other places are closed.

French citizens are urged to CANCEL their trips to mexico by the FRENCH government.

The Mexico governmement has shut down everything where huge groups can congregate, to prevent the spread of this virus.

As reported by CNN abotu 5 minutes ago!

In New Zealand, officials said 22 students and three teachers, who returned from a three-week language trip to Mexico, may have been infected with the swine flu virus. The group remains quarantined at home, and Health Minister Tony Ryall said 10 students tested positive for influenza A -- the general category of strains that includes the H1N1 swine flu.

In Spain, six people, all of whom had recently returned from Mexico, were being isolated in hospitals, the country's health ministry reported. And in Israel, doctors are running tests on a man who recently returned from Mexico with light flu symptoms.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/26/swine.flu/index.html

what kills the young healthy people is not pneumonia but a cytokine storm, which is when your body goes into overdrive producing so many white blood cells that you drown in your own fluids.

but anyways, i wouldn't panic, that just causes problems. think of it this way, not everyone will be infected by this, i mean not everybody gets the flu in any given year. if you practice handwashing, don't touch your mouth, nose or eyes when you go out and stay away from large crowds chances are you will be fine.

if the second wave comes (in 1918 the first wave happened in march/april and was quite gentle, but the second wave that came in august was the killer) just make sure you are alert and if your city/town goes under quarantine just sit tight, it takes about three months for it to pass. that is if it is anything like the 1918 flu. which it totally might not be.

i think that is why they are being very cautious and declaring states of emergency. i mean this thing could go either way we nobody knows. but just looking at it being a totally new strain it might copy the 1918 flu. more people lived than died of that flu. this isn't total world annihilation here. just alot of sick people.

Could Mexico already be experiencing a second round of this flu?

I will try to catch whether it is all of Mexico, but I know that France is telling ALL people planning on traveling to mexico to cancel there trips.

Edited to add I get google alerts, I am posting the info as I get the alert.

Key developments Sunday on swine flu outbreaks:
_ Deaths: 86, all in Mexico. 22 confirmed as swine flu, 64 suspected.
_ Sickened: 1,384 in Mexico, suspected or confirmed; 20 confirmed in U.S.; 6 confirmed in Canada; 13 suspected in New Zealand; 7 suspected in Spain; 1 suspected in France; 1 suspected in Israel; 1 suspected in Brazil.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hZVkRqV2uZVim0TRk5R1ZBfovTCAD97QESOO1

I will try to catch whether it is all of Mexico, but I know that France is telling ALL people planning on traveling to mexico to cancel there trips.

Ok because your initial post claims all of Mexico....this is why everything is so blown out of proportion and panic sets in.

I heard ALL of mexico, I could have sworn I did, Will listen again, I am watching CNN

it depends on where you are going. It's like there being an outbreak in NY and being urged not to go to CA. It's appears to have spread all over anyway. This reminds me so much of the SARS outbreak.

Guy on Cnn Now:

People watching tv today are not that High, so they are going to have to get the media playing it again.

Also if they wake up tomorow not knowing not to go into the Er when they are sick we may see a whole crap load of cases being reported tomorow.

How did it start in mexico, where did it come from? Why are mexicans dying form it, when the others are not. Did this swine flu come out of a lab, or a farm?

More reports will be coming in of more cases within 24-72 hours.

Once a death has happened and the cause is related to the flu, you will see a change of the game plan for the cdc, Once a death happens the cdc and homeland security will change how they handle it now.

True to form the media is completely over-hyping this. They hype up stuff like this without knowing all the facts. The fact that the US cases are milder than the Mexican cases suggests an additional infection might be local to Mexico City or other environmental/geographical factors. This will likely be forgotten soon enough like so much else. Hundreds and hundreds die every day due to the flu, this one just has a cool catchy name (like the swine-flu, bird-flu, blah blah blah).

Wash your hands, take cautions like you should always do when traveling or around crowds and everything is just fine.

True to form the media is completely over-hyping this. They hype up stuff like this without knowing all the facts. The fact that the US cases are milder than the Mexican cases suggests an additional infection might be local to Mexico City or other environmental/geographical factors. This will likely be forgotten soon enough like so much else. Hundreds and hundreds die every day due to the flu, this one just has a cool catchy name (like the swine-flu, bird-flu, blah blah blah).

Wash your hands, take cautions like you should always do when traveling or around crowds and everything is just fine.

I get this, but the CDC and homeland security has stated that they expect deaths from this! They expect this to get more severe. They expect more severe cases!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back