All things swine flu (H1N1)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
To recap.

In your original post you said...

"One thing is different: Humans have never been inoculated against H1N1 influenza."

This is patently ridiculous.

The influenza A (H1N1) virus is one of the most commonly seen in humans, and is regularly considered as part of the inoculation planning.

You have rephrased in your post above, indicating that you may actually have been referring to a new variant of N1H1 in Mexico, which would be correct. Perhaps your quotes are too "generic".

You say, "One does not get accurate medical information from " Wikipedia" necessarily."

Perhaps one could look at the footnotes and references included with the Wiki article. Unless you find the CDC to be an unreliable reference the Wiki article footnotes would have led you to this site, a CDC web page which gives all of the flu data they have accumulated for every flu season since 1999, by week, and includes yearly summaries and recommendations for the following season's vaccine composition.

The influenza A (N1H1) virus features quite prominently.

There is enough pointless panic being sparked by unnecessary misinformation. Let us not contribute further to it.

Unless you have access to material prepared for and presented to medical professionals about this flu variant, then you cannot compare what I am reading and paraphrasing from MD- only sites ( which require an MD license verification to register) to the extremely generic info on Wikipedia.
I am well-versed in the annual CDC influenza reports, of course. It is also common knowledge that yearly flu vaccines are prepared from these same trending reports. The vaccine is produced way ahead of the yearly N. A. influenza season and contains a mixture of the most likely flu strain variants based upon the CDC and also Asian seasonal influenza trending when yearly vaccine is being formulated by the major manufacturers.
H1N1 is a common Type A influenza strain, yes, in so far as you broadly stated yourself.
However, the variant of swine flu now presenting, which has been infecting humans in Mexico for at least 1 month without the CDC being aware of the existence of any influenza illness or death in Mexico, is not a common variant.
It is not one which any of us have been inoculated against or which epidemiologists believe those of us in this era have ever had first line exposure to.
Therefore, we do not have immunity to fight it. If you do not understand why we do not have immunity to all influenza variants and want to understand why, I can explain the antibody- antigen response, both passive and acquired.

I am not here to cause panic, dissension, or strife. I have quoted statements from news bulletins sent to the medical community only as they have arrived in my Inbox from the CDC and from Homeland Security.

As a resident of a state bordering Mexico, and a young person with a very serious chronic illness affecting two major organ systems, I probably hope more than anyone else that this turns out to be a false alarm. That no one in the USA dies. That health care needs are met here and elsewhere.

And that most of all, as we attempt to interact with each other in the spirit of Websleuths, that other posters are not called " absurd" or their posts called " absurd" simply because another poster reading the information contained may not have a clear understanding of the other poster's knowledge or meaning regarding the many RNA variants in viruses and their mutations.

Maria

Unless you have access to material prepared for and presented to medical professionals about this flu variant, then you cannot compare what I am reading and paraphrasing from MD- only sites ( which require an MD license verification to register) to the extremely generic info on Wikipedia.
I am well-versed in the annual CDC influenza reports, of course. It is also common knowledge that yearly flu vaccines are prepared from these same trending reports. The vaccine is produced way ahead of the yearly N. A. influenza season and contains a mixture of the most likely flu strain variants based upon the CDC and also Asian seasonal influenza trending when yearly vaccine is being formulated by the major manufacturers.
H1N1 is a common Type A influenza strain, yes, in so far as you broadly stated yourself.
However, the variant of swine flu now presenting, which has been infecting humans in Mexico for at least 1 month without the CDC being aware of the existence of any influenza illness or death in Mexico, is not a common variant.
It is not one which any of us have been inoculated against or which epidemiologists believe those of us in this era have ever had first line exposure to.
Therefore, we do not have immunity to fight it. If you do not understand why we do not have immunity to all influenza variants and want to understand why, I can explain the antibody- antigen response, both passive and acquired.

I am not here to cause panic, dissension, or strife. I have quoted statements from news bulletins sent to the medical community only as they have arrived in my Inbox from the CDC and from Homeland Security.

As a resident of a state bordering Mexico, and a young person with a very serious chronic illness affecting two major organ systems, I probably hope more than anyone else that this turns out to be a false alarm. That no one in the USA dies. That health care needs are met here and elsewhere.

And that most of all, as we attempt to interact with each other in the spirit of Websleuths, that other posters are not called " absurd" or their posts called " absurd" simply because another poster reading the information contained may not have a clear understanding of the other poster's knowledge or meaning regarding the many RNA variants in viruses and their mutations.

Maria
I am grateful that you have seen fit to further explain the meaning of your original, rather imprecise statement. Perhaps you might allow that this was indeed the point I was trying to make initially, that this is a "variant" of a virus which we are dealing with.

You said, in your first post, quite unequivocally,

"One thing is different: Humans have never been inoculated against H1N1 influenza."

Please note. This is a quote. Your own words. Exactly.

I have to ask you, with your stated background and expertise, to consider this question; If you had seen this same statement made by someone else, would you have felt it to be a scientifically accurate one?

The question of vaccines and flu virus variants is not a simple one. We agree on this. Your original post seemed to suggest that it is.

I'm not sure if the CDC is an acceptable reference when compared to your super-secret doctors-only sources, but they seem to have this to say about the subject, quoted from this link.
Can the vaccine provide protection even if the vaccine is not a "good" match?

Yes, antibodies made in response to vaccination with one strain of influenza viruses can provide protection against different, but related strains. A less than ideal match may result in reduced vaccine effectiveness against the variant viruses, but it can still provide enough protection to prevent or lessen illness severity and prevent flu-related complications. In addition, it's important to remember that the influenza vaccine contains three virus strains so that even when there is a less than ideal match or lower effectiveness against one strain, the vaccine may protect against the other two viruses. For these reasons, even during seasons when there is a less than ideal match, CDC continues to recommend influenza vaccination. This is particularly important for people at high risk for serious flu complications and their close contacts.
This statement might lead one to believe that even vaccines not targeted towards a specific new antigenic profile could still provide some efficacy against it. Do you disagree with such an assessment?

To reiterate, your original post was quite unequivocal.

I'm reassured to find that you are now tempering your earliest statements with a more considered and balanced explanation of your meaning.

In support of your effort I'll include this quote from another CDC page (if the CDC is an acceptable reference), which I believe is in support of the point you wanted to make.
Human Infections with Swine Influenza A Virus:

On April 17, 2009, CDC and the California Department of Public Health determined that two cases of febrile respiratory illness occurring in children who reside in adjacent counties in southern California were caused by infection with a swine influenza A (H1N1) virus. On April 22, CDC confirmed an additional three cases of swine influenza among residents of the two counties, two adults and one adolescent. All case-patients had symptoms of ILI. Additional testing at CDC identified swine influenza A (H1N1). All five had self-limited ILI and have recovered; one required hospitalization. Two additional cases were identified from Texas and confirmed as swine influenza at CDC on April 23.
Of the five case-patients with swine influenza A (H1N1) infection from California, two are a father and daughter and other than the father-daughter, the five case-patients have no known epidemiologic link or contact with pigs. The two new case-patients from Texas are schoolmates and an epidemiologic investigation is currently underway.
The viruses from all seven cases are closely related genetically and contain a unique combination of gene segments that have not been reported in the United States or elsewhere. Viruses from 6 cases are all resistant to amantadine and rimantidine and sensitive to zanamivir and oseltamivir, and sensitivity testing is underway for the remaining virus.
Vaccination with seasonal influenza vaccine containing human influenza A (H1N1) would not be expected to provide protection against swine influenza A (H1N1) viruses.
The final line in the above quote (which I have bolded) is, I believe, what you were trying to say. I was not in disagreement with what you meant. I was in disagreement with what you said.

(A minor aside on the subject of quotes. In your post above you quote me as having described a statement of yours as "absurd". Twice. I didn't call it "absurd". I called it "utter drivel" in one post, and "patently ridiculous" in another. I don't mind in the least bit being chastised for rudeness, but please be accurate about it.)

Can we please drop the infighting? It serves no one. This is an important topic, and I would hate to see it locked permanently. It was briefly locked yesterday evening.

Can we please drop the infighting? It serves no one. This is an important topic, and I would hate to see it locked permanently. It was briefly locked yesterday evening.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't consider any of the above posts to be "infighting". As you said, this is an important topic, so it's quite prudent to clarify any incorrect statements made by posters. When things get taken out of context and misinterpreted from websites and then relayed here, it serves no educational purpose whatsoever.

I, for one, am glad that some of the inaccurate information being posted here is being clarified and corrected. We all should be. Knowledge is only power when it is accurate knowledge.

Alot of people, registered members and not, read at WS. I think we need to be careful about contributing to a panic situation. Even me, who's been sticking by the facts and remaining level headed about this, had my own panic attack as I was watching CNN while making dinner.

I'm very impressed with the response from some of the affected areas. Especially near San Antonio. The county gave directives to their employees to stay home if feeling ill. It's what we all should do, but alot of us fear the wrath of our employer if we call in sick.

It could be (and probably is) nothing, but this new flu brought this article to mind - made me wonder if these kids had something more than just Influenza B - would they have been testing for the swine flu back on 4/16?

Lil' E, I really hope that you head out to the doctor to have yourself and your family tested. It sounds like you are doing better now but one can never be too safe. It's better to err on the side of caution and not only that, but if for some reason you did test positive, it could give more of an accurate record of how this thing is spreading.

Take care of yourself and everyone please be cautious.

The Mexican Health Minister was on CNN a few minutes ago. I did not catch it all, but what I did catch was that 1900 (could not understand the exact number??)patients had been treated for pneumonia related to the swine flu virus. Of those 149 (?) have died. What this means to me is that 1900 people who were sick were sick enough to go to the Hospital. It does not tell us how many are actually sick, and what the actual fatalitly rate is for the virus. He said that pneumonia is the cause of death (assuming the health minister is giving us accurate information).
The deaths may be related to the individuals not taking the symptoms of pneumonia seriously enough. They may only get to the hospital when they have the most serious symptoms of pneumonia, when many times it it too late for treatment to help.
We have had 2 cases of pneumonia in my home in the past 6 months, my 6 year old & me. Both of us got to the Dr as soon as we had symptoms, & we were treated & recovered within 2 weeks.
You cannot mess around with pneumonia - no matter how you get it.

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/

last updated Monday, April 27, 2009 10:15 AM ET

Laboratory testing has found the swine influenza A (H1N1) virus susceptible to the prescription antiviral drugs oseltamivir and zanamivir and has issued interim guidance for the use of these drugs to treat and prevent infection with swine influenza viruses. CDC also has prepared interim guidance on how to care for people who are sick and interim guidance on the use of face masks in a community setting where spread of this swine flu virus has been detected. This is a rapidly evolving situation and CDC will provide new information as it becomes available.

State (# of laboratory confirmed cases)
California ------------ 7 cases
Kansas ---------------2 cases
New York City --------8 cases
Ohio----------------- 1 case
Texas--------------- 2 cases
TOTAL COUNT 20 cases

I see no updates on the WHO website for today.

I guess WHO and the CDC aren't updating their websites as frequently as they should be, that kind of makes me mad.

add 29 more cases to NY

This is so scary.:(

My sister had to go to the ER this morning. She hurt her back and called our physician. He couldn't see her as he was called to an emergency meeting for the county about swine flu...he's the commissioner of health.

The dr's office told her to go to the ER. She said it was PACKED with people getting tested already. It seems panic is setting in.

It could be (and probably is) nothing, but this new flu brought this article to mind - made me wonder if these kids had something more than just Influenza B - would they have been testing for the swine flu back on 4/16?

We had a 15 year old in Charleston WV die a few months ago from the flu, but they said it was related to a staph infection.

add 29 more cases to NY

I'm hearing 29 confirmed total cases for NY. The below article states 28, but the front page says 28 more.

URGENT: NYC Mayor Bloomberg reports 28 more cases at Catholic HS, CDC reports at least 40 cases nationwide;

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,517958,00.html

The head of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed that 40 people in five states have been sickened with swine flu.
Twenty-eight of the 40 cases are clustered at a single private school in Queens, N.Y. Another 17 cases of swine flu are suspected in New York.

This is so scary.:(

My sister had to go to the ER this morning. She hurt her back and called our physician. He couldn't see her as he was called to an emergency meeting for the county about swine flu...he's the commissioner of health.

The dr's office told her to go to the ER. She said it was PACKED with people getting tested already. It seems panic is setting in.

That's too bad. I can understand it though. If I had so much as a sniffle right now, I think I'd wig out. :eek: I'm so phobic when it comes to germy stuff.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back