All things swine flu (H1N1)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I jumped in this forum late in the ball game and have not read all the posts. I live in Texas approx 40 miles north of Houston. Closing down the border should've happened last week. I'm so poed about them not shutting it down. Even if they shut it down they will cross illegally since the SOB's in office have not cleared the fence to be built. these illegal people come across our border have children here, get WIC (Texas program for free formula, cheese , milk cereal, etc), put their kids in our school system pay no taxes, and then bring the rest of their illegal family over. In my child's elmentary school they have a least one class room per grade level where they are teaching spanish speaking children english along with normal classes. these people cross back n forth across the border. they are bringing this across to our families. I'm so ticked our government is not protecting us.

Also the 24 month old child who died in houston is a mexican national (supposedly visting Brownsville I'm betting he lived there illegally) they came to visit in houston. the child started getting ill and they checked into a hotel. Then took this sick child to the Galleria Mall (they just released this info on the news tonight) exposing God knows how many people. houston has a huge population. They have closed 4 schools in the area for a week do to kids who have been confirmed to have the swine flu. What is it going to take for our government to stand up to Mexico and protect us!!

No I'm not racist. I have no problem with people who come here legally and pay there fair share of taxes!

Really Ladybass? How come? I am so confused! I'm not sure it really matters to me, because I am not a scientist or working in the health field. But still.... it seems a person would like to know that the information they receive is accurate.

Wired made it sound believeable. 3 scientists concurred based on info directly from the CDC. But.... the CDC has been saying it is a combination of bird, swine and human viruses.

Ugghhh! Our local news just reported the first case in our County this evening and we have a group of 20 cadets in isolation with flu symptoms, so I guess it is here now. I'm staying home!

Salem

Really Ladybass? How come? I am so confused! I'm not sure it really matters to me, because I am not a scientist or working in the health field. But still.... it seems a person would like to know that the information they receive is accurate.
Wired made it sound believeable. 3 scientists concurred based on info directly from the CDC. But.... the CDC has been saying it is a combination of bird, swine and human viruses.

Ugghhh! Our local news just reported the first case in our County this evening and we have a group of 20 cadets in isolation with flu symptoms, so I guess it is here now. I'm staying home!

Salem

One thing I have learned from reading on WS is don't always believe what you read. Our local the paper has misinformed many times!

O/T but hockeymom that's an excellent idea. I may start carrying them with me just not in the car now (old habit from having so many kids, never broke it). I absolutely cringe because almost every time I go out to the store I see a small child with their mouth on the handle of the bascart. ACK.

Also at the risk of sounding even more paranoid, I was shopping today for a few groceries and saw people touching and bringing produce up to their faces smell it and to check it out. I have to admit that I brought my apples home and washed them in the sink before I sat them out for the kids. I usually rinse them but I actually used a bit of soap ....I know, I know...getting silly here.

You may want to read this about washing produce in soap. It can make you sick.

http://counties.cce.cornell.edu/suffolk/FCSprograms/Washing Produce.pdf

It's all SWINE in the flu - no human, no bird but a mix of two pig viruses...

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2009/04/swinefluupdate/
That's correct, but at the same time incorrect.

There does exist an avian component. Let's say a pig carrying a swine flu virus was fed in its feed a bird carrying an avian flu virus. In the pig, the two recombine or merge with the swine version dominant. That pig then infects pig #2, but what pig #1 is now transmitting is a swine flu virus, but with an avian component.
Pig #2 was carrying another variant of swine flu. They recombine again in pig#2, and that pig infects a human who is carrying human strain of H1N1 seasonal flu virus. The virus transforms again, and we have what's currently being passed around.

My explanation is way oversimplified because frankly, when these geneticists start talking virus recombinations, there's a slew of variants that have recombined, and gone into making up the present variant. The swine portion is still dominant. So yes, it is technically an all swine flu.

edited to add this link: http://www.flutrackers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101112
You can learn probably more than you wanted to know about all the recombinates here.

It's in St. Louis Missouri now ...

Student from Elllisville one of probable swine flu cases

Michael Hairsine, 20, of Ellisville, is suspected of contracting the swine flu virus while attending college in Chicago, his mom said today.
Anne Debellis said Hairsine was told Wednesday by the Chicago health department that preliminary tests indicated he has the virus. The sample was sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta for confirmation, which should be coming soon.
Hairsine started feeling sick with flu symptoms last weekend. His mother picked him up at his dorm at Loyola University Chicago and brought him home to Ellisville, where he is now resting. He is taking the anti-viral medicine Tamiflu and feels like he is improving, Debellis said.
Hairsine doesn’t know how he could have contracted the virus. He has not visited Mexico and doesn’t know anyone who has. There are nine suspected cases in the Chicago area.

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/fi...-elllisville-one-of-probable-swine-flu-cases/

How swine flu spreads
A respiratory disease of pigs, swine influenza infections occur most commonly among humans who are in close proximity to pigs. However, the disease also can spread from person to person. Highly contagious, swine flu has the same symptoms as regular human flu, including fever, cough, sore throat, headache, chills and fatigue.

Various species infected by the flu virus ...

... can infect pigs, swapping genes, forming new viruses ...

... that can infect humans who have direct exposure to pigs ...

... who in turn can infect other humans.
swine.jpg

Safety measures
Health officials recommend several steps to prevent the spread of the virus:
• If you have flu symptoms, stay home from work or school to avoid spreading the disease. Do not return until two days after your symptoms are gone.
• Wash your hands often and cover your nose and mouth when you cough or sneeze.
• Go to the hospital if you have severe symptoms, such as difficulty breathing. If your symptoms are mild, stay home to avoid spreading the virus to others at the hospital.
• Masks may be recommended for health care workers, family members and others who come in close contact with swine flu patients, but there is no need for the general public to wear masks.
• It is safe to eat properly handled pork. Cook it to at least 160F.
Sources: Associated Press

Confirmed cases of swine flu
A swine flu outbreak has sickened more than 2,500 people in North America. The strain is suspected to have killed more than 150 people in Mexico; the first death in the United States occurred on April 27 in Texas.

http://www.stltoday.com/mds/news/html/2362

http://www.journal-post.com/2009/04/dr-marcus-gitterles-e-mail.html

Link to a letter & a partial retraction sent out by a Dr. in New Braunfels, Tx. Read the whole thing. I checked, and this guy is certified by the Texas Board of Medical Examiners with no strikes against his record.

He says we have not been informed as to what the real situation is. You'll note, that the original email he sent out was prior to the death of the 22 mo. old toddler, a Mexican National in Houston.

Sorry, I'm afraid I think his statements prior to his retractions were indeed what he meant to tell his patients, family and friends. Notice he doesn't retract his figures on infection rate.

Swine flu in Lowell, Mass.

BOSTON (AP) - Two young brothers in Massachusetts who became sick after a trip to Mexico have tested positive for swine flu, health officials confirmed Wednesday.

The boys, ages 8 and 10, are from Lowell - about 35 miles northwest of Boston. They are the first confirmed cases in New England.

http://www.berkshireeagle.com/ci_12250342

Did a search for Lowell with no results. Article is 2 days old though so just ignore if posted already.

There are now 3 cases being tested here in North Louisiana and one school closed in Lafayette, La..

I have family in so many states and am worried.

I hope everyone will take precautions.

I'm pretty sure I have swine flu. I have all the symptoms. I'm staying home and not going out anywhere until I'm well. :(

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well Nyla. Please call your Doc and see what he/she suggests.

I'm pretty sure I have swine flu. I have all the symptoms. I'm staying home and not going out anywhere until I'm well. :(

I'm really sorry to hear that and hope you feel better very soon!

You really should go to the doctor and get tested if you think you have the influenza-A (H1N1) virus AKA "swine flu." The CDC is tracking the progression of the influenza-A (H1N1) virus and it may be valuable for you to have the test done.

If you do go out to the doctor or anywhere else, please wear a mask or tie a bandanna or handkerchief over your mouth and nose.

http://www.journal-post.com/2009/04/dr-marcus-gitterles-e-mail.html

Link to a letter & a partial retraction sent out by a Dr. in New Braunfels, Tx. Read the whole thing. I checked, and this guy is certified by the Texas Board of Medical Examiners with no strikes against his record.

He says we have not been informed as to what the real situation is. You'll note, that the original email he sent out was prior to the death of the 22 mo. old toddler, a Mexican National in Houston.

Sorry, I'm afraid I think his statements prior to his retractions were indeed what he meant to tell his patients, family and friends. Notice he doesn't retract his figures on infection rate.

This is one of my biggest fears. Panic-stricken masses aren't good, and if it takes lightening the number of infected and dead, then I wouldn't put it past the guv'mint to do so. Mustn't upset the herd.

Nyla, sorry to hear that. Please take care of yourself & do go see a doctor.

The thing that alarms me is that that Dr. Gitterle said in Hays and Comal Counties, TX doctors were being told a 40-50 % rate of infection. Thank goodness most of the cases are mild so far. "So far" being the key words.

I have three adult children in the highest infection bracket, invincible 20 somethings who aren't taking this seriously enough, and they've all heard plenty from mom. I'm sure others here are in the same boat or are in that 12-44 age bracket. One of mine was on his way to South Padre Island last night with his RN girlfriend.:banghead:

We are in contact with 2 nurses & one senior nursing student who works at a hospital when not in school. None of them have been briefed other than being told to wash their hands. One is my significant other's ex-wife, who is a senior nurse in her dept. at a large hospital.

A lot of nurses have families, and I have to wonder if the CDC, local health depts., and hospitals aren't worried that some of them may decide not to show up for work if things turn bad, and so haven't given them adequate information.

I am backing off on handling coins until after I've given them a bleach & water bath.

Mail and paper money are going to sit for 2 days before handling.

And if I go to a bank, I'll be wearing latex gloves when I handle the pneumatic tubs at the drive through.

Be well!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LarryG
Back