All things swine flu (H1N1)

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Doh! Maybe Mexico should have shut their border! Scientist think swine flu may have originated in the US. I wonder if this is why it is not so deadly here, maybe our people have more immunities to this strain (I am not an expert). According to the article below, they've been tracking it back to 1998.

http://www.grist.org/article/2009-04-30-cdc-swine-strain/

CDC: swine flu strain has genetic roots in U.S.A

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124113876438075685.html
A picture is now emerging of how U.S. and Mexican officials, with a key assist from a Canadian government lab, first realized they faced a new type of disease and began racing to isolate its earliest origins. Until recently, Mexico was widely assumed to be ground zero. Now, however, some California doctors are questioning that.
The four earliest confirmed cases are divided evenly between California and Mexico. In fact, it appears two children in California got sick in late March, several days before the first two known Mexico cases in early April.

This is the original article from New Scientist
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20227063.800-swine-flu-the-predictable-pandemic.html?full=true

There are now 3 cases being tested here in North Louisiana and one school closed in Lafayette, La..

I have family in so many states and am worried.

I hope everyone will take precautions.

I think all the Catholic schools in Lafayette Parish have closed. Still haven't heard if the positive tests are for Swine flu or "regular" type A flu.

One public school has had a child test positive---same caveat as above, the final results are not known. That caused some outcry here, because it was announced that a student tested positive at a public school, but they refused to name the school. What idiots! If they WANTED to make parents panic, that was a good first step to take.

Lots of co-workers were out today, because they kept their kids home.

Doh! Maybe Mexico should have shut their border! Scientist think swine flu may have originated in the US. I wonder if this is why it is not so deadly here, maybe our people have more immunities to this strain (I am not an expert). According to the article below, they've been tracking it back to 1998.

http://www.grist.org/article/2009-04-30-cdc-swine-strain/

CDC: swine flu strain has genetic roots in U.S.A

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB124113876438075685.html
A picture is now emerging of how U.S. and Mexican officials, with a key assist from a Canadian government lab, first realized they faced a new type of disease and began racing to isolate its earliest origins. Until recently, Mexico was widely assumed to be ground zero. Now, however, some California doctors are questioning that.
The four earliest confirmed cases are divided evenly between California and Mexico. In fact, it appears two children in California got sick in late March, several days before the first two known Mexico cases in early April.

This is the original article from New Scientist
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20227063.800-swine-flu-the-predictable-pandemic.html?full=true

You know my husband had some crazy flu,that he couldn't get rid of. He started in Febuary and it lasted almost 2 months before he finally was right again. Whos to say he didn't have it? How does anyone know really?

So true, hockeymom!

CDC diverted a flight headed to Dulles into Boston due to an ill German passenger complaining of flu like symptoms.
http://wbztv.com/local/germany.flight.diverted.2.999173.html

So now we are diverting planes, but not closing the border? This makes so much sense. NOT.
Yeah, yeah, I know the flu's here, but still, we could slow it down by closing the border.

I'm pretty sure I have swine flu. I have all the symptoms. I'm staying home and not going out anywhere until I'm well. :(

I am not kidding, if you really think you have it, go straight to ER.......fevers can go so high that you will pass out!

At Slippery Rock University (PA) 22 students cannot go to there graduation.
The 22 will be having there graduation in a separate place.
Unbelieveable!

I am not kidding, if you really think you have it, go straight to ER.......fevers can go so high that you will pass out!

Nyla, whether you go to a doctor or the ER, call ahead & let them know you're coming & you
suspect you have swine flu.

Swine flu might be in my hometown. Someone I know has tested positive for flu, but it will take days to know if it is swine flu. I'm freaking out. I've got a kid here at home (not Baby E, but Teen E) who has a stomach ache, headache, and fever. I've never freaked out over a fever like this. So far it's mild, only 100.7, but she feels like crud and has been sleeping most of the day. A Saturday!

More confirmed in Lee County, FL this morning and one probable one County up in Charlotte.....who's advise is the best to follow?! :chicken:

:( My son awoke this morning with 103 fever and is pretty out of it at the moment. We have an appointment for 4:45 today. As with most reports of medical issues in media I was cautious but not panicked. Now I'm panicked.

Anyway, we're in Illinois, haven't seen much in way of numbers (only three) but I did see some media outlets reporting that only those who had been in Mexico within the last week or who had contact with someone who had traveled to Mexico would be tested for this strain of Influenza A. This in attempt to conserve resources:

As a result of the virus, city and state health officials urged people with mild flu-like symptoms to stay home and treat the virus the way they would a typical flu -- rather than going to the hospital. Doctors are also being asked to limit testing for the H1N1 virus to hospitalized patients with severe symptoms as a way to conserve resources.

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7015010459

I'll come back with an update on my son when we return from his physician's office. He's my sick child and usually ends up in hospital once a year for a day or two. I hope this isn't another one of those times.

Disguiseduser, I'm in the same boat. My daughter has a high fever, chills, aches, and is just miserable. She'll see the doctor at 3:30. A local college student has a suspected case of swine flu! I'm terrified!

:blowkiss: Lots of get well vibes to both of our little ones. Ya know, I can handle most anything. When one of my kids is sick I turn into a bumbling mess.

Is your daughter sleeping a lot? My son was up for a little bit but has mostly been sleeping. All he was complaining of when he awoke was being hot and having a headache (no neck stiffness so I doubt anything like meningitis). This is one of those days you want time to go by faster so you can get your child the help he/she needs.

Please do update on how daughter is doing. I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers.

More confirmed in Lee County, FL this morning and one probable one County up in Charlotte.....who's advise is the best to follow?! :chicken:

At this point I'd just go with your gut.

My daughter's symptoms are headache, earache, fever (101 earlier), lethargy, chills, aches all over, and just an overall cruddy feeling.

It seems like the flu to me. Swine flu...??? We'll see today. She has spent most of the weekend in bed or on the couch. Last night, huddled under a blanket, shivering, she said, "But I have to go to school...I have a math test..." Yeah, right.

Thanks for the info, Mr. E. My little guy just started coughing a little so it's looking like he has some type of flu thing going on. I've been watching him and he seems to have the shakes a bit as well (perhaps shivering from the fever). Sigh, come on 4:45.

Ugh! I just lost my long post.

Long story short: A few of us (myself & two of my children) aren't feeling well, but no high fevers. I'm not sure what to make of it.

I'm sending 'Get Well' vibes to both of your children. It's tough when they're ill. :(

A friend at our school had the same thing Sunday. She said that her DD8 had a 103+ fever, totally lethargic, and upset stomach. The children's hospital here told her not to come unless she was gravely ill. :eek:

They went to the doctor and it is strep, but she says her DD has had strep before and it has never been this bad. The doc says strep is rampant right now in our area, which can bring the high fever and nausea like the flu.

Apparently there is also a stomach bug going around 1st grade but the school hasn't mentioned a word about it. I wonder if they are still testing people. How would we know if we had a case?

There is a case just south of Atlanta in Henry County at a private school, so it is close.

My DD is supposed to receive First Communion Saturday. I keep envisioning the whole thing getting canceled. UGH!

My son graduates from university on Saturday. They're setting up antibacterial stands as you walk in the doors so everyone can sanitize their hands and the graduates are not allowed to shake hands with the administrators. It's going to seem a little weird with them just walking across the stage, taking their diploma and walking off without the handshake.

Oh well, better safe than sorry. I honestly was wondering if we all would be required to wear a face mask.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GaHAu
Back