Allison Baden-Clay - GENERAL DISCUSSION THREAD #32

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw a case on the Crime Channel that reminded me of this case. Here is a precis.

http://kimcantrell.hubpages.com/hub/Craig-Rabinowitz-Cheating-Husband-Ponzi-Schemer-Wife-Murderer

Lots of forensic accounting needed. Highly educated wife. Husband high roller with questionnable business dealings. Involved with another woman. Got into bad financial trouble. Wife had no idea. He wanted her life insurance. He drugged her, then tried to drown her in the bath, but he had to use more force than he anticipated.

Quote from the script "All of this showed motive, but if the medical examiner didn't rule Stephanie's death a homicide, it was salacious but little else".

Lots of forensic accounting needed. Highly educated wife. Husband high roller with questionnable business dealings. Involved with another woman. Got into bad financial trouble. Wife had no idea. He wanted her life insurance. He drugged her, then tried to drown her in the bath, but he had to use more force than he anticipated.

Quote from the script "All of this showed motive, but if the medical examiner didn't rule Stephanie's death a homicide, it was salacious but little else".

Perhaps this story showed up on GBC's google search... y'know, getting some ideas...

This is a post from a local...

05-12-2012, 06:36 PM #914
Keyboredom
Registered User Join Date: Apr 2012

There's a lot of swirling backwash around bridge pylons under flood. I've found large animal carcasses in very similar situations (which again is an awful comparison) following heavy rain and flash flood? Dead bodies after a week or more are likely to be floating and at the mercy of the water flow.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, 43, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 - #6

Thanks Marlywings.

The two huge pipes running from bank to bank across the Kholo Creek mouth would have acted like a weir, creating further damming and eddies, perhaps sufficient to carry Allison up the bank to rest in behind the pilons. Perhaps she was of just the right buoyancy and weight (sorry to be crude) to come to rest there while other debris like vegetation got washed away?
JMO

Personally I find it unbelievable that the forensic accountant needs all this extra time. Surely this case would have been given top priority and she had other staff working with her to assist with enquiries re finances...

IMO it is to create a longer delay so the QPS can pursue more incriminating evidence against GBC...

I find it more than believable. He has to follow a money trail. That CAN take ages. Especially if someone has been very creative.

I feel that even if the judge was 'flabbergasted' it may be that he could not hide the fact that someone could weave such a tangled web. And I doubt the prosecution would string it out longer than need be, not good to get a judge offside.

Anyway, he ruled that all other evidence in a brief be handed over by a certain time - and that they can wait for the financial evidence.....

I think it is all good so far.

In case it got overlooked, I did post sometime in the last couple of days that the determination of the age of bloodstains is notoriously unreliable. There may be a brand new wizz-bang test that is highly accurate that I don't know about, but the last time I heard (and that was VERY recently) it is extremely difficult if not impossible to age bloodstains once past the first couple of hours or so. Actually - I'll check again in the next day or so - I have my sources....

I would imagine that the defence may be planning on using that fact to claim that the bloodstains in the back of the car were from an earlier date, and perhaps from something like a nosebleed.

Just an opinion, as always ;)

Hi Doc,

I am reposting a post I did on the last thread yesterday or day before - re information in relation to blood ageing. Would appreciate any comments.

I have found a couple of articles which may be of interest in relation to the ability to 'age' bloodstains. The first one is from 2006 and sounded promising, insofar as my ability to interpret scientific data is concerned, and the second attachment pdf is in relation to an instrument developed to read and age the bloodstains to assist forensics. So it seems that the process, if not already available is well on the way.

https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles1/nij/grants/213892.pdf

Attachments

• implen_article_ilm_35.3lr_p34[1].pdf
    241.5 KB · Views: 4
I just saw Media Watch on ABC. Mention of GBC case, but only in relation to pix... cant spell it - covering up of photos of arrested people and how google images can find them in seconds.

Thanks Marlywings.

The two huge pipes running from bank to bank across the Kholo Creek mouth would have acted like a weir, creating further damming and eddies, perhaps sufficient to carry Allison up the bank to rest in behind the pilons. Perhaps she was of just the right buoyancy and weight (sorry to be crude) to come to rest there while other debris like vegetation got washed away?
JMO

Before A was found, an elder predicted she would wash up there. I want to believe she was placed. Not so sure now.

I find it more than believable. He has to follow a money trail. That CAN take ages. Especially if someone has been very creative.

I feel that even if the judge was 'flabbergasted' it may be that he could not hide the fact that someone could weave such a tangled web. And I doubt the prosecution would string it out longer than need be, not good to get a judge offside.

Anyway, he ruled that all other evidence in a brief be handed over by a certain time - and that they can wait for the financial evidence.....

I think it is all good so far.

I'm just a bit shocked that the judge would actually show that he was annoyed with the police.... infront of the defence. I know, it's the way it is, but to me it's like giving the defence a bit of 'something' to enjoy.

Surely though investigation into fraud should be far secondary than the alleged murder charge. His financial debts are common knowledge anyway. IMO the QPS could be using this delay to gather more incriminating *definite* evidence re the murder charge so the Defence team cannot find *loopholes* in the circumstantial evidence which has been presented so far by the DPP...

Well I've been thinking what if he didn't actually do the deed himself but paid someone else to do it. Remember in Allisons diary she wrote that she didnt know how he paid for hotels re TM. This indicates that it wasnt from their original accounts. My point is maybe he used the business to pay for things that he didnt want anyone to know about.IMO

Going back to the bankruptcy idea, I've just had a look at this website and can't find any records for baden-clay (or variations of spelling) so I assume he wasn't bankrupt. Perhaps someone else might know of another place to search.

www.comcourts.gov.au/public/esearch...led_after=&filed_before=&search_by=bankruptcy

I'd love to know how we can check bankruptcy records Whatif? Not all bankruptcy matters go to court, in fact I believe most don't. Someone close to me is bankrupt and his name doesn't appear on that site. I know my friend's didn't go to court at all.

I think that's an interesting observation that all the loans made to GBC have been by non-financial institutions - either the previously bankrupt theory could apply, or perhaps the banks wouldn't touch him because didn't think he had the means to support repayments .... and as we have learned .... doesn't appear to have.

I thought WOW when I read that over 300 witness statements have been prepared ... and wait, there's more to come. My head then jumped to what it might cost for the defence to peruse all this documentation and prepare counter arguments. That alone has got to run to simply hundreds of hours .... translated into dollars, the mind boggles. And this is only part of the process. I really can't fathom how GBC will be able to keep the legal team involved unless they are doing pro bono ... and why on earth would they?

Except in the instance of an allegedly Publicity-hungry Legal Eagle...

I'm just a bit shocked that the judge would actually show that he was annoyed with the police.... infront of the defence. I know, it's the way it is, but to me it's like giving the defence a bit of 'something' to enjoy.
Happens quite a lot.

I think this Magistrate was exerting authority to not only retain control of his Courtroom, but as a warning of sorts to both parties..."comply, or deal with the consequences..."

:moo:

Well I've been thinking what if he didn't actually do the deed himself but paid someone else to do it. Remember in Allisons diary she wrote that she didnt know how he paid for hotels re TM. This indicates that it wasnt from their original accounts. My point is maybe he used the business to pay for things that he didnt want anyone to know about.IMO
Or TM paid

WOW, WOW, WOW - you guys have got to check out this link from Nads. That is soooo close to what I believe happened! My goodness, it's almost like GBC was watching tv one night and thought "Uh, there's an idea". What amazing parallels. Will be interesting to see how close it is in the end to our story.

Moo

Before A was found, an elder predicted she would wash up there. I want to believe she was placed. Not so sure now.

I recall mention of this at that time possum. Did the elder predict that particular spot, or just that she would be found in or near the waterways? I can't recall the details.

Happens quite a lot.

With good outcomes for the prosecution I hope. I don't know why, I just get a feeling that it won't be easy to nail him. What if he does get off?

If this judge heard it today, does it mean he will hear it next time too, or is it a random thing of who you get on the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IamNobody