Amanda Berry, Gina deJesus & Michelle Knight - General discussion #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds to me that the dogs were Castro's dogs. Hopefully they can find good homes for the dogs if the victims don't want them.

"We are the attorneys who have come together to help Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight. These three brave women have asked us to give this message to everyone who has expressed concern and support.
Amanda, Gina and Michelle want you to know they are doing well. They are happy and safe and continue to heal, a process that requires time and privacy.

Since we first spoke publicly on their behalf, it has been wonderful to see that their plea for privacy has been answered and respected. The media has disappeared from their front lawns and their neighborhoods are no longer experiencing traffic jams from news vehicles and curious onlookers. You have no idea how much this means to them and has helped in their recovery process.

Their first public message included a simple, heartfelt thanks to well-wishers and supporters for “everything you are doing.” That “everything” now includes perhaps the greatest gift of all – the space and time to reconnect with their families and recover and rebuild their lives. And so they say again, “Thank you. Thank you so much!”

it continues here ...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/24/ohio-kidnapping-survivors-thank-you_n_3331919.html

It's not unheard of for prosecutors to seek capital charges even when a body hasn't been located. But the Castro case brings up another layer of difficulty given that no human remains of any kind have been found on his property.

"How does the prosecution prove a pregnancy? How do you prove that Castro caused the termination of the pregnancy?" said Michael Benza, a Case Western University law professor who has also represented death row clients.

The prosecutor also must factor in the strain of a capital case on the three women, who could face lengthy and intrusive media attention, Benza added.

The nature of the crime makes it likely that, death penalty or not, Castro would face a life sentence if convicted on rape charges alone, said Hofstra University law professor and death penalty expert Eric M. Freedman.

"The odds that it's going to go to a death penalty trial and result in a jury verdict of death," he said, "are vanishingly small."

Here's to hoping that the "diary" AC allegedly kept really does exist and he was arrogant enough to record every little detail!

It's not unheard of for prosecutors to seek capital charges even when a body hasn't been located. But the Castro case brings up another layer of difficulty given that no human remains of any kind have been found on his property.

"How does the prosecution prove a pregnancy? How do you prove that Castro caused the termination of the pregnancy?" said Michael Benza, a Case Western University law professor who has also represented death row clients.

The prosecutor also must factor in the strain of a capital case on the three women, who could face lengthy and intrusive media attention, Benza added.

The nature of the crime makes it likely that, death penalty or not, Castro would face a life sentence if convicted on rape charges alone, said Hofstra University law professor and death penalty expert Eric M. Freedman.

"The odds that it's going to go to a death penalty trial and result in a jury verdict of death," he said, "are vanishingly small."

Here's to hoping that the "diary" AC allegedly kept really does exist and he was arrogant enough to record every little detail!

BBM

The same way you prove the years of torture that these girls/women suffered. Victim testimony supported by expert testimony of physicians, grief counselors, etc. Let the jury decide what is credible. :moo:

I said it before, but hopefully the prosecutors will not go that route, because:

1. There is no legal precedent for the death penalty in a case like this, and it is highly unlikely they would be successful in getting the death penalty for Castro.

2. Even if Castro did get the death penalty, he would never be executed. Because he would die of natural causes before the appeals process would ever be over. So seeking the death penalty for him would be pointless.

3. The punishment should fit the crime. Castro should spend the rest of his life in prison. The same way he kept those girls imprisoned for ten years.

I don't have problem with prosecution going for the death penalty if they can prove that miscarriages were caused by Castro.
How could they prove if they have no bodies?
There are other possibilities of how it can be proven.
Allegedly, Castro wrote some sort of suicide/confession letter. We don't yet know everything that it's in that letter.

LOL

Ariel Castro jail logs: Nearby inmate howling like a dog

Read more: http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...uspect-howling-like-dog-in-cell#ixzz2UU4LkVYh

"Also, Castro has said to be polite to sheriff’s deputies when receiving his meals. For breakfast, it’s boiled eggs and grits along with Kool Aid.
The wild antics continue this week with records showing Castro continues to pace around his jail cell in the nude, staring out his window."

This "thing" gets a window??!!! He's eating and living better than his captives did!

Hopefully the reference is to the very small window in the door of his cell rather than a window which would give him a view of the outside.

I'll bet they can easily prove the "forced miscarriages" using these methods:

1) Of course Michelle will have detailed testimony of her pregnancies and horrific abuse.

2) The 2 other victims will also be able to corroborate her victimization. They probably witnessed the assaults and saw Michelle's pregnancies, with the attendant symptoms.

3) Lastly, and most convincing could be Castro himself. As has been mentioned, when captured he didn't want a lawyer and "cooperated" with police. This means that he may have already confessed to impregnating Michelle & assaulting her to force the miscarriages.

Hopefully the reference is to the very small window in the door of his cell rather than a window which would give him a view of the outside.

Typically his cell would be something like this.

DavidHickscell_zpsac4d134c.jpg

"About two months ago … he showed me a picture that was in his cell phone, randomly. He said ‘look at this cute little girl,'" Gregg said. "I said ‘she's cute, who is that?' He said ‘this is my girlfriend's child.' I said 'dad, that girl looks like Emily.' Emily is my younger sister and he says ‘no, that's not my child, that's my girlfriend's child by someone else.'

"He denied it. I said 'dad, look at the nose. That looks just like Emily.' He started getting vague. He said ‘well it could be mine; we've been together for a long time. I just don't know,' and then ‘subject change.'"

Also Thursday, CNN reported Emily Castro was sentenced to 25 years in prison for the attempted murder of her infant child.

http://m.wafb.com/autojuice?targetU...6622/ariel-castros-daughter-its-all-adding-up

I said it before, but hopefully the prosecutors will not go that route, because:

1. There is no legal precedent for the death penalty in a case like this, and it is highly unlikely they would be successful in getting the death penalty for Castro.

2. Even if Castro did get the death penalty, he would never be executed. Because he would die of natural causes before the appeals process would ever be over. So seeking the death penalty for him would be pointless.

3. The punishment should fit the crime. Castro should spend the rest of his life in prison. The same way he kept those girls imprisoned for ten years.

Not sure if any locals have weighed in on this, but the county prosecutor, Tim McGinty, is a former judge. No doubt he will seek as much justice as possible in prosecuting Castro, but he will also focus on winning the case.

IMO, I don't see him as the type to go out on a limb and take risks with the case if he doesn't have enough evidence to bring the death penalty. I do see him putting together an airtight case that will put Castro in jail for the rest of his life with no possibility of parole. JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro