Amanda Knox New Motivation Report RE: Meredith Kercher Murder #1 *new trial ordered*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once I get a chance I'll respond to your other points, but I want to get these out of the way first.

5. Why would a shoe light up to Luminol? When you make up these kind of stories do you never wonder if what you are saying makes any sense?

Okay, so here I'm not sure why you're, again, accusing me of something when there is a photo of one of the CSI's shoes glowing blue with luminol (which has been posted here and discussed in the past). Please clarify.

You were wrong on the bleach, and now this is the best you can come up with?

Exactly what was I wrong about? If I remember correctly, I responded to Otto a while back saying the defense argued it was bleach. I have the defense expert's testimony where she says this.

Wendy's four points:

1."More damning was the statement Sollecito gave police when confronted with the discovery of the victim’s DNA on the blade."

False. He never told the police this. It was in his diary and was never introduced at trial, which she also falsely claims. She creates an entire narrative around the diary entry that never happened. This particular point has always been an internet talking point, and is moot considering the knife DNA was rejected.

2. "Knox’s DNA was found mixed with the victim’s blood in five different spots at different places around the apartment where the murder took place."

False. It was three spots of blood in the bathroom the two girls shared.

3. "She said she was at her boyfriend’s apartment at the time of the murder – but phone and computer records – as well as her boyfriend’s own statements – proved that her alibi was a lie."

False. Phone and computer records never proved that she was lying about being at Raf's.

4. "In one of her statements, Knox relayed such specific details about the crime, it revealed her involvement because only someone who was really there would know information such as the room where the murder took place."

False. Nothing in her statements to police turned out to reveal anything about the true nature of the nature of the crime, and was almost entirely wrong about what happened. The victim screaming, if that is what Wendy is referring to, is not something only the killer would know.

Wendy could at least acknowledge the events of the appeal trial, but is concerned with only presenting out of context and factually wrong snippets that were the main talking points circa 2009. To top it off, she makes the offensive and ridiculous claim that anyone who thinks Amanda is innocent is racist. Now where have I heard that one that before?
1. The police read his diary and it is an excuse to explain away the evidence. Of course he knew they would read it. It was meant for them. The rejection of DNA on the knife has been declared invalid and is part of the evidence.

2. Bathroom near Meredith’s room:
On the drain of the bidet
On the Q-tip box located at the ledge of the sink
On the edge of the sink
Elsewhere in the apartment:
In a luminol-enhanced bare footprint in the hallway outside Kercher’s room
In a luminol-enhanced spot found in Filomena Romanelli’s room
http://www.truejustice.org/ee/index..._know_about_the_mixed_blood_evidence_samples/

I understand you are trying to say that floating DNA just so happened to land inside the Luminol spots that was actually fruit pulp. It is not probable and that is not what was concluded in the first trial.

3. Phone and computer records showed that they weren't doing what they said they were doing during the time of the murder. Her boyfriend did make incriminating statements about Knox being out from about 9pm to 1am.

4. She knew that Meredith made such a horrific scream that she put her fingers in her ear. An horrific scream was later reported by several witnesses. Knox knew before anybody else that Meredith was sexually assaulted. Knox knew that Meredith was killed in front of the wardrobe without seeing in the room when the door was opened. She tries to cover this up in her book by saying she heard 'someone' else say it.

Racism is unfortunately a part of this case. Not in the least because Knox accused her boss of rape and murder. She has been convicted for this and this conviction has been confirmed by the SC of Italy. Why is this hardly reported in the US media? Instead we hear how awe-full it was that they called her a devil. She doesn't explain who did that and why. It was her boss's lawyer who called her a 'she-devil' because she falsely accused him of rape and murder.

Once I get a chance I'll respond to your other points, but I want to get these out of the way first.

Okay, so here I'm not sure why you're, again, accusing me of something when there is a photo of one of the CSI's shoes glowing blue with luminol (which has been posted here and discussed in the past). Please clarify.

Exactly what was I wrong about? If I remember correctly, I responded to Otto a while back saying the defense argued it was bleach. I have the defense expert's testimony where she says this.
Yes, according to you the photo shows that. I am asking why a shoe would light up to Luminol since it makes no sense. So have you considered that the photo shows something else? What has all this to do with the footprints anyway.

Ok, so can we just agree that the defense was wrong to argue that since it can be ruled out?

1. Yes, another far less sensitive (than Luminol) presumptive blood test was negative. The far more sensitive test was positive. It does not mean that there was no blood. It means there was very little blood.

Well, no, it doesn't just mean that. It also means it maybe wasn't blood at all.

Like I said three times by now and quoted, the truth is that you know beforehand that you can't scientifically prove for the Luminol traces to have been made in blood since they were not visible.

If there wasn't enough blood to do a confirmatory test, that still doesn't mean it has to be blood. I understand you are a fervent believer that the prints had to be made in blood, but there are too many caveats for me to be convinced that they are, and I've listed them. Another point I've mentioned in the past is that there's no way of knowing if those prints are compatible with the other roommates' prints because they were photographed wrong, didn't take reference prints of the other girls, and there's even one where the second toe doesn't match Amanda's "Morton's toe".

2. Amanda's footprints were right in front of the murder room. How do you know which way she walked?

I know if it's hers that she didn't come in or out of Meredith's room since they're just in the hallway. That's the biggest problem with those prints, that none were in the murder room.

3. Why do they have to be smeared or why do you think they weren't so diluted that they weren't invisible to begin with?

I think it goes without saying that if she cleaned up a bunch of bloody footprints that the shape of the blood is going to show at least one smear, with it being more likely that they would all be smeared from the wiping motion.

If the prints were so diluted that they weren't even cleaned then (a) there goes the clean-up theory and (b) there would be no excuse for the negative TMB test.

4. The most obvious cleanup was in the bathroom. Blood behind the toilet? Where is the blood in front?

There was blood on the toilet seat cover. I don't see any mention of blood behind the toilet. But there were trace amounts of blood on the light switch and in the bidet as well.

Half a footprint and blood on the bathmat? Where is the other half footprint and blood that fell next to the bathmat?

The bathmat was moved and blood was found on the underside. The heel was either wiped away from that or it so diluted that it didn't show up.

'Anything in the house but blood'. Seriously? You were wrong on the bleach, and now this is the best you can come up with? I just listed the few items that could be found in a household and that react like blood and they don't make any sense here.

Right, it doesn't make sense to you. You're incredulous that the prints were anything but blood. Yet, we have photos of many other things reacting to Luminol that weren't blood.

This whole argument is about dumping Luminol evidence because you can't further test it for blood. There is no rule that you should dump evidence because you can't scientifically prove it for a 100%.

Of course not, but if the prints were found originating in Meredith's room and then led a trail to the bathroom or Amanda's room, this would be more compelling evidence. If one of the prints had tested positive for blood, this would be different. If the prints didn't have attributes different from Amanda's feet, this would be different. If any prints were revealed in the murder room, this would be different. These are all issues for why you can't just go off a positive Luminol test alone, given it is prone to false positives.

Same goes for other evidence like witness statements, or the bathmat print for example.

I would hope witnesses who change their story a year later would not be admitted as evidence. I don't see an excuse for that.

A footprint can't be scientifically proven for a 100% to match a person. Still this is important evidence. Science is great but there are judges for a reason.

The problem is when you have other people living in the house whose prints could also be compatible. Maybe Filomena or Laura don't have Morton's toes to which the one print could be attributed. If only Amanda and Raf had left bloody palmprints and shoeprints in the murder room and their DNA on the victim like Rudy did, the prosecution wouldn't have to grasp at such straws.

Wendy's four points:

1."More damning was the statement Sollecito gave police when confronted with the discovery of the victim’s DNA on the blade."

False. He never told the police this. It was in his diary and was never introduced at trial, which she also falsely claims. She creates an entire narrative around the diary entry that never happened. This particular point has always been an internet talking point, and is moot considering the knife DNA was rejected.

2. "Knox’s DNA was found mixed with the victim’s blood in five different spots at different places around the apartment where the murder took place."

False. It was three spots of blood in the bathroom the two girls shared.

3. "She said she was at her boyfriend’s apartment at the time of the murder – but phone and computer records – as well as her boyfriend’s own statements – proved that her alibi was a lie."

False. Phone and computer records never proved that she was lying about being at Raf's.

4. "In one of her statements, Knox relayed such specific details about the crime, it revealed her involvement because only someone who was really there would know information such as the room where the murder took place."

False. Nothing in her statements to police turned out to reveal anything about the true nature of the nature of the crime, and was almost entirely wrong about what happened. The victim screaming, if that is what Wendy is referring to, is not something only the killer would know.

Wendy could at least acknowledge the events of the appeal trial, but is concerned with only presenting out of context and factually wrong snippets that were the main talking points circa 2009. To top it off, she makes the offensive and ridiculous claim that anyone who thinks Amanda is innocent is racist. Now where have I heard that one that before?

Thank you!!

Well, no, it doesn't just mean that. It also means it maybe wasn't blood at all.

If there wasn't enough blood to do a confirmatory test, that still doesn't mean it has to be blood. I understand you are a fervent believer that the prints had to be made in blood, but there are too many caveats for me to be convinced that they are, and I've listed them. Another point I've mentioned in the past is that there's no way of knowing if those prints are compatible with the other roommates' prints because they were photographed wrong, didn't take reference prints of the other girls, and there's even one where the second toe doesn't match Amanda's "Morton's toe".
By excluding the few alternatives you get pretty close to proving it was blood. The conclusion that it was blood is not because I want to but because it is the only one that makes sense since there is no alternative. There are several characteristic of the footprints that are compatible with Knox her feet. Besides they go into her room.
I know if it's hers that she didn't come in or out of Meredith's room since they're just in the hallway. That's the biggest problem with those prints, that none were in the murder room.
The set of footprints are right in front of the murder room. Of course, you don't know which way she walked or that she didn't come from the murder room. I have no opinion if she came out of the murder room or not, but this is just one example how incredibly unlucky she must have been to leave one set of Luminol positive footprints right in front of the murder room if not related to the murder.
I think it goes without saying that if she cleaned up a bunch of bloody footprints that the shape of the blood is going to show at least one smear, with it being more likely that they would all be smeared from the wiping motion.
Doesn't go without saying. You seem to underestimate the sensitivity of Luminol and the microscopic amounts of blood we are dealing with here.
If the prints were so diluted that they weren't even cleaned then (a) there goes the clean-up theory and (b) there would be no excuse for the negative TMB test.
Personally, I am positive on the cleanup in the bathroom, undecided about a cleanup in the murder room and hallway. Again you don't seem to understand that the prints were invisible to begin with, which means there will not even be enough blood for a confirmatory test. No matter if they were cleaned or not. The reasons for the negative TMB test are still the same.
There was blood on the toilet seat cover. I don't see any mention of blood behind the toilet. But there were trace amounts of blood on the light switch and in the bidet as well.
There was blood behind the seat and on the pipe behind the toilet. No blood on any visible parts. Those were all cleaned.
The bathmat was moved and blood was found on the underside. The heel was either wiped away from that or it so diluted that it didn't show up.
The heel was indeed wiped away. Including all other visible spots of blood on the floor.
Right, it doesn't make sense to you. You're incredulous that the prints were anything but blood. Yet, we have photos of many other things reacting to Luminol that weren't blood.
Like what? I already showed a list of things that react with Luminol. There are only a few. There is no point in repeating things that react with Luminol in a different way. It is a weak argument that 'something' could have reacted with Luminol besides blood without showing anything that even remotely makes any sense. Sorry, but forget about being right or wrong for a minute and just look at it from a legal perspective. The defense is not going to win that argument.
Of course not, but if the prints were found originating in Meredith's room and then led a trail to the bathroom or Amanda's room, this would be more compelling evidence. If one of the prints had tested positive for blood, this would be different. If the prints didn't have attributes different from Amanda's feet, this would be different. If any prints were revealed in the murder room, this would be different. These are all issues for why you can't just go off a positive Luminol test alone, given it is prone to false positives.

I would hope witnesses who change their story a year later would not be admitted as evidence. I don't see an excuse for that.

The problem is when you have other people living in the house whose prints could also be compatible. Maybe Filomena or Laura don't have Morton's toes to which the one print could be attributed. If only Amanda and Raf had left bloody palmprints and shoeprints in the murder room and their DNA on the victim like Rudy did, the prosecution wouldn't have to grasp at such straws.
If..if..if..this is exactly the problem of why there are still people who think they are innocent. Instead of just following the evidence that we have, they make up a bunch of stuff that should or should not have been there. It doesn't work like that.

1. Yes, another far less sensitive (than Luminol) presumptive blood test was negative. The far more sensitive test was positive. It does not mean that there was no blood. It means there was very little blood. Like I said three times by now and quoted, the truth is that you know beforehand that you can't scientifically prove for the Luminol traces to have been made in blood since they were not visible.

No thanks to CSI programs - most people have a misconception of what Luminol is. It is NOT a blood detection agent. It's simply a chemical that turns lumnescent when oxidized. There are a number of chemical compounds that oxidize Luminol - including blood, urine, feces, substances containing iron and bleach.

Any blood oxidized in luminol - including the faintest traces - can be blotted and tested for DNA. Even the faintest trace of blood, even when cleaned will give a positive result. A negative result for blood is just that. Entirely negative.

So Luminol is only relevant to forensics when it's blotted, tested and the test yields positive blood results that are DNA matched and contextually relevant to the crime scene.

2. Amanda's footprints were right in front of the murder room. How do you know which way she walked?

That would be immaterial. It was Amanda's home. Her DNA, footprints, fingerprints and hair will be all over the cottage. In forensics - DNA and prints of all residents are excluded in common areas of cohabitation and in any way that's outside the context of the crime.

Amanda walked, barefoot, to Meridith's door and knocked on the door (iirc), then walked away from the door. So those footprints are accounted for and thus, not evidence towards the crime. They are not in a criminal context.

3. Why do they have to be smeared or why do you think they weren't so diluted that they weren't invisible to begin with? Smeared prints happen when there is a pool of blood. Not necessarily when you deal with a microscopic amount of blood.

Because blood is viscous. It smears when moved.

It's irrelevant though if the luminated substance was not positively tested for blood, DNA matched to the victim - then placed in the context of the crime scene. None of that happened. In the US, Canada, other European nations, most of the middle east, the south pacific... well everywhere else - it simply would not have been admissible as evidence - because it's not evidence of anything.

4. The most obvious cleanup was in the bathroom. Blood behind the toilet? Where is the blood in front? Half a footprint and blood on the bathmat? Where is the other half footprint and blood that fell next to the bathmat?

As a woman - sorry - but that makes me laugh. When a woman, living in a home with other women finds blood droplets on the floor in the bathroom - murder is not ever suspected. We simply assume that one of our roomies had their period and didn't know it - lumbering into the bathroom at night, unaware. Happens frequently. It's embarrassing as well - so good roomies grab a tissue and a bit of bleach and clean it.

5. Why would a shoe light up to Luminol? When you make up these kind of stories do you never wonder if what you are saying makes any sense?

...uhh.... cause someone was wearing a shoe? (see explanation of luminol above).

Unlike the US - countries around the Mediterranean basin have mainly stone floors and counters and tile bathrooms. Common method of cleaning is a bleach wash (yeah - I'm from that region of the world).

You take a bucket of hot water and a cup or more of bleach (in % strengths not available here) - and pour the entire bucket over surfaces. Scrub. Then squeegy the excess water on the floor down a floor drain, out over a balcony or down the hall and out the front door. Best way to clean stone and prevents black mold.

Luminol any surface in Italy, Greece, Cyprus, Turkey, Israel, Egypt, Lebanon - you'll get a positive reading on shoes, hands, doorsteps, etc (ie: everywhere). If you don't test the readings - it's never assumed to be blood. Of course, when the public is not aware that luminol reacts to bleach - a jury can be deceived into believing something else.

'Anything in the house but blood'. Seriously? You were wrong on the bleach, and now this is the best you can come up with? I just listed the few items that could be found in a household and that react like blood and they don't make any sense here.

This whole argument is about dumping Luminol evidence because you can't further test it for blood. There is no rule that you should dump evidence because you can't scientifically prove it for a 100%. Same goes for other evidence like witness statements, or the bathmat print for example. A footprint can't be scientifically proven for a 100% to match a person. Still this is important evidence. Science is great but there are judges for a reason.

Again - luminol reaction is not evidence. Never has been, never will be.

The system of gathering evidence in Italy is partly to blame for the confusion. The prosecutor is the one who directs the testing. If the luminol wasn't tested - that's because the prosecutor instructed his team not to test it. No matter how faint the trace - it's testable. If it was just recently cleaned with bleach, however, the entire area would luminate - equally - without distinction of prints. Just a solid blue glow.

Allow a CSI team and police to work independent of the judicial process (as you have in the US and I have here in Canada) and the luminol prints would have been tested, placed in context and then discarded and irrelevant to the investigation.

I still think Amanda Knox is GUILTY and an acquitted murderess. Nothing she can say to make me change my mind, and I sincerely hope she is extradited to Italy to stand trial again and be behind bars where she belongs!!! Justice for Meredith Kercher- the only victim here!:jail::jail::jail::twocents::moo:

The thing that really bothers me about this case is how irrational people seem to get over it.

Personally, I agree that some of Amanda's behavior was odd or inappropriate. However, there are so many reasons that someone might behave in an odd way - it just does not mean guilt.
So many??? Like what? What justifies going out and buying lingerie and having sex when your roommate has been murdered and doing cartwheels in the policed station??? Her behavior screams guilt- like an uncaring sociopath/psychopath in the same vein as Jodi Arias doing handstands in the interrogation room, or Casey Anthony- another acquitted murderess.

Oh why did I read this http://wendymurphylaw.com/amanda-knox/ how on earth does she pull race into this?

This quote at the end is particularly distubing:

As painful as it is to look at the face of the girl-next-door and see a killer – the choice is simple. Either see the truth and accept it – or look away, and shut up.

Basically what she is saying is if you don't agree with her, then stop reading about the case and don't disagree with her.

Freedom of thought, speech, and all of that. No, this is Wendy Murphy's Law.

No thanks to CSI programs - most people have a misconception of what Luminol is. It is NOT a blood detection agent. It's simply a chemical that turns lumnescent when oxidized. There are a number of chemical compounds that oxidize Luminol - including blood, urine, feces, substances containing iron and bleach.

Any blood oxidized in luminol - including the faintest traces - can be blotted and tested for DNA. Even the faintest trace of blood, even when cleaned will give a positive result. A negative result for blood is just that. Entirely negative.

So Luminol is only relevant to forensics when it's blotted, tested and the test yields positive blood results that are DNA matched and contextually relevant to the crime scene.
Sorry for the snip but I like to keep it short as I already explained most. Besides I am confused about what exactly the point is you are trying to make beside the Luminol could have reacted with 'something else'.

This first part is in contradiction with the fact that invisible traces can't be proven to have been blood. It has nothing to do with the prosecutor. Investigators know this beforehand and still use Luminol. So apparently it is relevant.

You are confused that Luminol can't be used as evidence. You don't provide any sources at all. From all I read it can't be used as blood evidence. A Luminol reaction is still evidence of a Luminol reaction. It is as simple as that. Then when you have zero alternatives besides blood to have been the source of that reaction the conclusion is rather simple.

Sorry for the snip but I like to keep it short as I already explained most. Besides I am confused about what exactly the point is you are trying to make beside the Luminol could have reacted with 'something else'.

This first part is in contradiction with the fact that invisible traces can't be proven to have been blood. It has nothing to do with the prosecutor. Investigators know this beforehand and still use Luminol. So apparently it is relevant.

You are confused that Luminol can't be used as evidence. You don't provide any sources at all. From all I read it can't be used as blood evidence. A Luminol reaction is still evidence of a Luminol reaction. It is as simple as that. Then when you have zero alternatives besides blood to have been the source of that reaction the conclusion is rather simple.

If you want to read up on Luminol - google it. There is a ton of online literature on the chemical, it's reactants, it's use in forensics, it's downsides, it's upsides.

A very simple explanation (for a fast, non-thorough read): http://science.howstuffworks.com/luminol1.htm
A slightly more "geek read" Luminol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
...that's just the beginning. If you really want to know - it's gonna take some research.

I am not at all confused on this subject. There is a difference between "evidence" and "information". Evidence says something about the crime and the person/s who committed it in the place it was committed.

If an investigator notes, for example, that there is milk in the fridge, it's not "evidence". Doesn't say anything about the crime. It's just information.

Every household in the world (every public place) will have things on walls, floors and other surfaces that react to luminol.

You can even youtube a tutorial and make your own luminol and test it out on your own home. (it's pretty complex...) If you ever do this - luminol your bathroom and tell me if the luminol reactions are evidence of a crime or simply information about luminol oxidization reactants in your bathroom.

Once again - luminol readings at a crime scene:
1. test for blood. if blood is not the reactant - something else is
2. test for DNA IF it's blood - to see if it links to the victim
3. put in context of crime.

(and no. 3 usually comes before testing. No point in testing a luminol reading that would have no obvious information to the crime).

These steps are what turns information into evidence.

So many??? Like what? What justifies going out and buying lingerie and having sex when your roommate has been murdered and doing cartwheels in the policed station??? Her behavior screams guilt- like an uncaring sociopath/psychopath in the same vein as Jodi Arias doing handstands in the interrogation room, or Casey Anthony- another acquitted murderess.

What justifies buying underwear is not being allowed into your home for several days. But as they often do, the tabloids made this into a better story. The general clothing store Bubbles was reported as a specialty lingerie shop and an overheard conversation about hot sex was fabricated.

Oh why did I read this http://wendymurphylaw.com/amanda-knox/ how on earth does she pull race into this?

This quote at the end is particularly distubing:

Basically what she is saying is if you don't agree with her, then stop reading about the case and don't disagree with her.

Freedom of thought, speech, and all of that. No, this is Wendy Murphy's Law.

Wendy bought into the prosecutions theory of the crime, but then closed her mind to all other information. As a result, she doesn't really understand how the case falls apart on close examination.

Yes, the investigators did find Amanda's DNA in the house. Many people get the impression from watching TV crime dramas that DNA is only shed during crimes. But in fact humans shed DNA all the time. Swab a bathroom in your home and you will find DNA from the people that commonly use that bathroom. All but one of the swabs showing Amanda's DNA came from the bathroom she shared with the victim. None of them came from Meredith's room where the murder happened.

The DNA that doesn't fit normal expectations came from Rudy. His DNA was found on the victims clothing, on her purse and inside the victim. Rather hard to explain for a guy who didn't belong in the upstairs apartment.

Did anyone see Amanda's interview with Diane Sawyer?

I watched it... And am part way through her book.

I thought she did really very well in what must be a stressful situation. She seemed to be quite emotional at times.

Of course, I expect that ones opinion on how she comes off in this interview might relate directly as to how you view the case as a whole. If you are convinced that she had something to do with the murder in spite of any evidence to the contary, you are not going to view her favorably.

It would be interesting to know the opinion of someone who does not have any prior opinion / undue influence from either supporters or detractors.

Is this the proper thread for comments about Knox in her ABC interview?

You know who else's behavior screamed guilt? Lindy Chamberlain and Michael Morton. It took decades for the forensics to clear them and prove that their behavior had nothing incriminating to do with the death of their child and spouse. But people were just as certain they were guilty based on their actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member