Amanda Knox tried for the murder of Meredith Kercher in Italy *NEW TRIAL*#5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
People may be interested to read about the Juliana Redding case which was in 48 hours tonight. The defense case sounded utterly preposterous but the defendant got off

The defendant allegedly left DNA all over the crime scene. But defense argued that the real killer grabbed a rag that had the defendant's DNA and then spread it all over the crime scene. The defendant and victim did not know each other, yet somehow the killer got a rag with the defendant's DNA and then wiped it and that explains multiple pieces of DNA all over the crime scene - body, clothes, blood evidence in a fingerprint, etc. DNA was all over, and secondary transfer explains ALL of if, the defense said

And the defense was acquitted!

It sounds utterly preposterous. But the defense raises reasonable doubt to explain all of that DNA - and they succeeded. I personally would have found the D guilty but it just goes to show how reasonable doubt operates in a much much stronger DNA case than this one! In that are the jury certainly went overboard bc one cannot believe that much DNA could be transferred. But here the DNA evidence is so thin, it is not a stretch to say it is problems.

DNA was turned on it's head and it was demonstrated that DNA has no evidentiary value. That seems to be what is happening in this case too.

I understood that one DNA argument was used: repeated secondary transfer. The prosecution should have had an expert to demonstrate that secondary transfer is unlikely, if not impossible ... especially multiple incidents in one location.

Meredith had very short nails so it is possible that no DNA was left under her fingernails.
From the Massei report:

The scratch on Knox's neck was not significant and also not by itself solid proof of guilt. I don't remember it was ever presented as such. More interesting is that Knox said it was a hickey and people discussing what a hickey looks like :)
Interesting. Thanks so much for that.

:rumor:

Michele Giuttari and Giuliano Mignini will go on trial again in Turin Jan 15 for abuse of office and other offences.

:party:
Is it rumor or fact? The prosecution video budget is also being investigated. And then there is the Hampikian talk. Well, I guess on both sides this all goes round and round. I had been under the impression that Mignini had already been convicted and had received jail time (while Amanda was still in jail).

"UPDATE NOV. 23, 2013
Monday and Tuesday the prosecution and civil parties will make their cases in the Florence court of appeals, which is currently hearing the appeal of Amanda Knox and Raffaele Sollecito. It is the second appeals trial in this case. The first appeal, which resulted in acquittal, was annulled by Italy’s Supreme Court in March 2013. The court remanded the case back down to appeal, in another jurisdiction outside Umbria.

On the eve of the prosecution’s case to the Florence court of appeals this coming Monday comes news that an internal review is being conducted of the appropriateness of of spending 182,000 euros ($240,000) in public monies to create a 23-minute high definition animated video used in the first Amanda Knox trial, in which she was convicted. The 23-minute high-definition video was approved by prosecutor Manuela Comodi, who curated the forensic aspect of the trial. Those in the video/tv/graphics business know HD graphics can be very costly, costing up to thousands of euros per minute.

But $240,000? It simply seems too much. And Comodi is being asked to justify this expense to the National Council of Magistrates in December. But as with almost every story that breaks on this case, there is more to the story than meets the eye. A review of the facts shows it was an anonymous group of Perugia citizens who filed a denuncia (formal complaint) with the Umbria audit office regarding the costly video and who it was awarded to and why (worth considering: who were these anonymous citizens and were they in any way related to the media group who did not get the bid?). An important detail might be the fact that the invoice for video services incorporated a much larger documentation project that included the animated video, but also a number of other media services, including video recording of witnesses testimony and key court hearings and presentations.

Prosecutors in Perugia apparently thought it necessary to have a master file of recorded trial testimony on file as part of the case record. Hence the price tag is for much more than just the animated video.

For the record, the animated video shown on the final day of closing arguments, as I reported from court here and mentioned again in this more broad analysis of the trial, was not a particularly effective tool for making the prosecution’s case. The oversexualized cartoon reenactment featuring badly-stereotyped avatars and seemed trivial and silly compared to the more compelling original testimony of police and witnesses, which jury members heard in the trial of first instance, but not in the appeal. A waste of money? Probably."

http://thefreelancedesk.com/front_featured/amanda-knox-appeal-2/

BBM

I'm assuming that this is what it's about.

Is it rumor or fact? The prosecution video budget is also being investigated. And then there is the Hampikian talk. Well, I guess on both sides this all goes round and round. I had been under the impression that Mignini had already been convicted and had received jail time (while Amanda was still in jail).

Feb 5, 2013

"Mignini is no stranger to Florence. In 2010, Mignini was convicted of abuse of office in another case he tried in Florence. A judge decided that Mignini abused his office by wiretapping journalists and police officials.

The conviction stemmed from a series of killings in Florence — the so-called “Monster of Florence” case — and not the Knox prosecution. But Mignini continued to prosecute the Knox case, despite his own conviction.

In November 2011, the Court of Appeal in Florence overturned Mignini’s conviction for lack of jurisdiction and referred the case to the prosecutor in Turin to decide whether to re-file the charges"

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2013/02/amanda-knoxs-slander-trial-moved-to-florence/

i find this odd. in the various pics of her, it appears she kept her nails on the longer side:

http://2.citynews-today.stgy.it/~media/originale/21822447732725/meredith-kercher-2.jpg

pic 20: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pic...e-murdered-British-student.html?frame=2206666

were her nails clipped during the autopsy? (a usual protocol after a murder)
Yes, her nails were long enough to get dna under them. I never saw these pics - what a pretty girl she was.

Me too, but I have not read any information that her nails were clipped during autopsy. That wouldn't be necessary if they were already very short. Maybe the killers clipped her nails. Who knows.
It's hard to imagine them having the wherewithal to clip her nails under those circumstances. And then where did they put the clippings?

Just some more thoughts: Looking at those pics of Meredith, one does get the feeling that if Knox and Sollecito really were involved in her murder, that they should be made accountable.

On the other hand, it seems to me that every time I find some really solid indicator, it vanishes. Such as Galati asserting that Knox knew details of the crime she couldn't possibly have known unless present : This really sold me on guilt - and then the Follain Luca text cancels that. Unless Knox spoke of the details PRIOR to riding with Luca: Can anyone clear that up?

And the unexplained scratch: Had they found Knox's dna beneath Kercher's fingernails, no matter how the defense might have tried to explain that away (it happened earlier in some innocent manner) I would view that as a pretty strong indicator of guilt.

As it stands, I sometimes think either a. they were not involved or b. some weird providence was at work to dispel all their solid evidence. The lost hair is a case in point.

Another thing I wonder about: If there was no evidence of defensive wounds, and if it appears she was restrained by multiple attackers, were any of the bruisings indicative of someone's fingers grasping and holding? (usually that is how you would restrain someone: By firmly grasping their arm or wrist and holding on with all your strength.) Wouldn't this leave hand marks of finger-shaped bruises? Was this ever mentioned?

Well, your perspective of someone shifts if you view them as innocent or guilty, respectively. Who would have thought that the college-educated, cute and scrubbed Paul Bernardo would be capable of hacking a girl's body into pieces and pouring cement over them? If prior to the discovery someone had proposed, "That must be how he disposed of the body" they would have sounded insane.

I see Amanda & Raffaele as normal college kids from good families.

They are not long in a cosmetic sense - but they appear "long" enough to scratch or get dna beneath them. ETA: Did they ever find out who the hair belonged to? Or it was lost before it could be tested?

The hair was lost before it was tested I believe.

I see Amanda & Raffaele as normal college kids from good families.
True, for the most part - but one never knows what someone is capable of. You do need solid evidence, though, or reasonable doubt must rule the day.

Another thing I wonder about: If there was no evidence of defensive wounds, and if it appears she was restrained by multiple attackers, were any of the bruisings indicative of someone's fingers grasping and holding? (usually that is how you would restrain someone: By firmly grasping their arm or wrist and holding on with all your strength.) Wouldn't this leave hand marks of finger-shaped bruises? Was this ever mentioned?

Considering the lack of defensive wounds it is assumed she was restrained well.

IMO It's more likely that she would have DNA under her nails if RG was the lone wolf. After all he somehow had to have her completely restrained while wielding a knife and removing her clothes.

Considering the lack of defensive wounds it is assumed she was restrained well.

IMO It's more likely that she would have DNA under her nails if RG was the lone wolf. After all he somehow had to have her completely restrained while wielding a knife and removing her clothes.
True. thanks

It is in the book 'Angel face' by Barbie Nadeau.
http://books.google.com/books?isbn=1458761258

So they did test positive, but a hair test so shortly after the murder night wouldn't show much if drugs were taken. At least we can say that they were not regular hard drug users otherwise it would have shown in their hair samples IMO.
Speaking as a scientist, Barbie's statement literally makes no sense. How is it possible that you have enough material to say that something is present but not enough to know what it is? Barbie's reporting on the forensics of this case has been her weakest area, IMO, and this continues in that tradition. If one is trying to claim that something is a narcotic on the basis of a hunch, then one has left good forensics behind. Here is a FAQ list. "It takes approximately 7-10 days from the time of drug use for the effected hair to grow above the scalp." and "For head hair, Omega's standard window of detection is 90 days. However, longer and shorter timeframes are possible. Body hair samples are noted as an approximately 12 month timeframe." Therefore, if the authorities believed that Knox and Sollecito took drugs less than 7 days before their incarceration, they could have sampled again later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95