American doctor in Liberia tests positive for Ebola virus

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The CDC PR DR; TV Pundit, in this update seemed to be overly emphasizing the fact that Dr Brantley, in grave condition, was able to walk from the ambulance to the hospital. Said he was very surprised..

Dr Kent Brantley was reported in Grave condition before arriving to Emery in a standard Grady Hospital ambulance.
Allowed to walk into the hospital..
Now, the family asks that his condition be kept private.. Why, if his condition is improving?

"Go figure... & Call me just a little bit more than skeptical"..

It's not a 100 % lethal. And he got what appears to be several experimental treatments while in Liberia. At some point he was going to either improve and then recover, or take a turn for the worse and die. Sounds like in his case he might be on the road to recovery. He is still infectious though. His body fluids will remain infectious for some time even after he recovers.

And what about all the people Patrick Sawyer came in contact with while he was flying? I am guessing they will have more cases on their hands. Doesn't seem so hard to get, does it?

It doesn't. I'm growing increasingly alarmed.

It doesn't. I'm growing increasingly alarmed.

And they brought patients right here into US.
They really better hope they don't make any mistakes, because they will have a lot of explaining to do.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/04/health/experimental-ebola-serum/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

"(CNN) -- Three top secret, experimental vials stored at subzero temperatures were flown into Liberia last week in a last-ditch effort to save two American missionary workers who had contracted Ebola, according to a source familiar with details of the treatment.

On July 22, Dr. Kent Brantly woke up feeling feverish. Fearing the worst, Brantly immediately isolated himself. Nancy Writebol's symptoms started three days later. A rapid field blood test confirmed the infection in both of them after they had become ill with fever, vomiting and diarrhea.".................

ETA: It also states that he did get a dose of ZMAPP (3 vials were sent) and his condition improved remarkably. The company that makes the serum has been funded.... "On July 30, the Defense Threat Reduction Agency, an arm of the military responsible for any chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and high-yield explosive threats, allotted additional funding to MAPP Biopharmaceutical due to "promising results."

Let's just say I'm concerned about bring this virus to the U.S. despite the reassurance from the CDC. I now expect any U.S. citizen who contacts this virus in another country to request transport to a U.S. hospital.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/04/health/experimental-ebola-serum/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

"(CNN) -- Three top secret, experimental vials stored at subzero temperatures were flown into Liberia last week in a last-ditch effort to save two American missionary workers who had contracted Ebola, according to a source familiar with details of the treatment.

On July 22, Dr. Kent Brantly woke up feeling feverish. Fearing the worst, Brantly immediately isolated himself. Nancy Writebol's symptoms started three days later. A rapid field blood test confirmed the infection in both of them after they had become ill with fever, vomiting and diarrhea.".................

ETA: It also states that he did get a dose of ZMAPP (3 vials were sent) and his condition improved remarkably. The company that makes the serum has been funded.... "On July 30, the Defense Threat Reduction Agency, an arm of the military responsible for any chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and high-yield explosive threats, allotted additional funding to MAPP Biopharmaceutical due to "promising results."

SNIPPED

Brantly asked that Writebol be given the first dose because he was younger and he thought he had a better chance of fighting it, and she agreed. However, as the first vial was still thawing, Brantly's condition took a sudden turn for the worse.

Brantly began to deteriorate and developed labored breathing. He told his doctors he thought he was dying, according to a source with firsthand knowledge of the situation.

Knowing his dose was still frozen, Brantly asked if he could have Writebol's now-thawed medication. It was brought to his room and administered through an IV. Within an hour of receiving the medication, Brantly's condition dramatically improved. He began breathing easier; the rash over his trunk faded away. One of his doctors described the events as "miraculous."

By the next morning, Brantly was able to take a shower on his own before getting on a specially designed Gulfstream air ambulance jet to be evacuated to the United States.

Writebol also received a vial of the medication. Her response was not as remarkable, according to sources familiar with the treatment. end snip

So the media PR last week saying this wonderful dr. gave up the first dose to the other patient, actually changed his mind, and wanted her dose. I don't believe, I believe anyone about anything going on with this.. We IMO are back on the gov. "need to know basis" merry go round.:gaah: Why are they top secret? :thinking:

And there was supposedly only one dose, but there was actually 3......

SNIPPED

Why are they top secret? :thinking:

My guess :moo: is that this company had submitted samples to the US government, perhaps under "top secret" that they were working on it? And that the samples that were airlifted came from the governments deep freeze holdings as imho they keep stuff from private industry for bioterrorism ? ... I've never even heard of the US Defense Reduction Threat Agency, have y'all?.....That's my take on below..... from that link

"ZMapp has not been approved for human use, and has not even gone through the clinical trial process, which is standard to prove the safety and efficacy of a medication. The process by which the medication was made available to Brantly and Writebol is highly unusual. It may have fallen under the U.S. Food and Drug Administration's "compassionate use" regulation, which allows access to investigational drugs outside clinical trials.

Getting approval for compassionate use is often long and laborious, but in the case of Brantly and Writebol, they received the medication within seven to 10 days of their exposure to the Ebola virus.

On July 30, the Defense Threat Reduction Agency, an arm of the military responsible for any chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and high-yield explosive threats, allotted additional funding to MAPP Biopharmaceutical due to "promising results."

ETA: Here is link to that agency http://www.dtra.mil/About.aspx

And there was supposedly only one dose, but there was actually 3......

The woman pt. received 2 doses, so now there are none. Unless, of course, there are more and they are TOP SECRET, too. IMO

The woman pt. received 2 doses, so now there are none. Unless, of course, there are more and they are TOP SECRET, too. IMO

Hmmmm, perhaps that 3 doses were put on request for 3 patients to get .... and one of the patients that the "compassionate request" paperwork that was originally put into motion died? That makes sense to me... :fence: then again...according to the CNN link above http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/04/health/experimental-ebola-serum/index.html?hpt=hp_t1 "Writebol also received a vial of the medication. Her response was not as remarkable, according to sources familiar with the treatment. However, doctors on Sunday administered Writebol a second dose of the medication, which resulted in significant improvement."

:moo: would assume there are a more doses within the gov'mt holdings associated with Defense Threat Reduction Agency http://www.dtra.mil/About.aspx .... three just sounds too low for a holding for such imho.

But I would think that they haven't gone into large scale production at the MAPP lab...and perhaps the funding, JUST 5 days ago (see above post), from the gov'mt agency is for such?

As to what the monies are going to be used for? Would assume protocols to gear up to grow virus/create serum etc that takes time. Perhaps indeed these two US citizens that have been infected will jumpstart the government(s) to put in monies for a "treatment cure" which would not have happened.... as MAPP would not/could not due unless profitable for them?

ETA: Bringing back memories of AIDS research and gov'mt monies/private industry need for profit to help 3rd world disesases.

Perhaps this situation and media attention was just what the third world needs to help them. :(

Let's just say I'm concerned about bring this virus to the U.S. despite the reassurance from the CDC. I now expect any U.S. citizen who contacts this virus in another country to request transport to a U.S. hospital.

Samaritan's Purse brought these two back not the government. So any other American citizen in Africa who gets ebola needs some good contacts to get back to the USA.

Absolutely I would ! Wouldn't most folks ?

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Once it happens, its too late. These dr's made the decision to go there to help, and I applaud them. ( I was surprised he took his family there) But when you contract the disease, don't come back here with it. If any thing, let these dr's at CDC, who feel there is no risk, go there. Can you imagine in our society, if this got out into the population, hello, it would be almost impossible to contain. And on top of that, would probably be the straw that breaks the USA's fiscal back.
I'm also for closing the borders where this is running rampant.
I guess I'm just a big meanie.

Samaritan's Purse brought these two back not the government. So any other American citizen in Africa who gets ebola needs some good contacts to get back to the USA.

Wouldn't the gov't have had to approve it? I hope to God so.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/08/04/ebola-serum-explaining-americans-experimental-treatments/

Both experimental treatments, if they work, would need to lower the viral load by binding to the virus and preventing it from replicating, which would give the immune system enough time to regenerate its cells and fight the disease, Geisbert said.

However, such treatments likely have limitations. In the last stages of the disease, in a process known as a cytokine storm, the immune system goes haywire and inflammatory molecules called cytokines attack the body's own tissue.

At that point, "if you're 24 to 72 hours from death and you've got a full blown case of Ebola hemorrhagic fever, there's probably nothing on the planet that's going to save you," Geisbert told Live Science.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89
Back