American doctor in Liberia tests positive for Ebola virus

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
16x9

Three leading Ebola experts call for release of experimental drug
http://www.latimes.com/world/africa/la-fg-three-ebola-experts-release-drugs-20140806-story.html

On the media yesterday it was said there are only a handful of doses of that medication, that it takes weeks to make more. That it would take months to even have a small amount. They were discussing how it wouldn't help the epidemic because of these limitations

On the media yesterday it was said there are only a handful of doses of that medication, that it takes weeks to make more. That it would take months to even have a small amount. They were discussing how it wouldn't help the epidemic because of these limitations

Yeah, and more companies are throwing in their hat such as a different company http://www.wbur.org/2014/08/06/cambridge-bio-tech-ebola

"Sarepta Therapeutics says if given approval, the firm will, within a few months, have enough of the injectible drug — AVI-75370 — for up to 125 patients."

www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/outbreaks/guinea/qa-experimental-treatments.html DOD apparently isn't working with them though as it doesn't mention Sarepta ...

"Are there other companies developing experimental treatments or vaccines?

Two other companies, Tekmira and Biocryst Pharmaceuticals, receive funding from the Department of Defense's Defense Threat Reduction Agency and have therapeutic candidates for Ebola in early development. The Department of Defense is working with a company called Newlink to develop an Ebola vaccine candidate. BioCryst, with NIH support, is working to develop an antiviral drug to treat Ebola virus that is expected to begin Phase 1 testing later this year."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/son-of-sim-missionary-nancy-writebol-issues-statement-today-270208201.html
Son of SIM Missionary Nancy Writebol Issues Statement Today
""We are grateful to be able to see our mom once again, and we entrust her care both to the Lord and to the fine doctors and staff at Emory University Hospital. Mom is tired from her travel, but continues to fight the virus and strengthen her faith in her Redeemer, Jesus. We were able to spend a few minutes with her to encourage her and be encouraged by her condition. Her servant's heart is evident, as she expressed concern for us above and beyond her own circumstances.

"Please continue to pray for her recovery and for wisdom for the doctors and medical staff caring for her. We lean on Christ, our stronghold in this time of trouble, because we know the Lord has not forsaken us (Ps. 9:9-10)."

This article states there was only 3, TOP SECRET TOO. We have never heard there was more, until now. So how many more doses are there? Just 1? :moo:

where does it say there are "only three"? i read that three vials were flown to africa....

The company has very few doses for patient use...

i don't think they'd really want to say how many they do or don't have for fear they will be inudated with calls/requests...

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/04/health/ebola-drug-questions/

Whoa! 8,952 likes already.

I must say that I am floored and shocked that folks from WS are not on this thread. Just really really shocked as missing discussions with folks at WS.

Guess it shows that folks at WS have no interest in following this. :thud:

ETA: No one person other than myself is on this thread right now... just SMH SMH SMH Guess it just goes to show that WS is for everyone, and none of us thinks alike as to what is important.

SMH SMH....
I am interested, and have read the thread. I don't have much to say. I do find the serum based on 'recovered' cases interesting. They did that with polio in 1920s-30s too, before there was gamma globulin and then the vaccine(s). Not really related - just thought it was interesting.

http://www.thelocal.es/20140805/confirmed-spanish-priest-ebola-liberia

so i take it these two didn't exchange bodily fluids?

p.s. thanks to zwiebel for the info/link

I read an article on the CBC that said Nancy Writebol didn't come into direct contact with patients either. I am trying to find that article, but haven't been able to, even though I KNOW I read it either last night or this morning. I will keep looking.

SNIP

I read an article on the CBC that said Nancy Writebol didn't come into direct contact with patients either. I am trying to find that article, but haven't been able to, even though I KNOW I read it either last night or this morning. I will keep looking.

This was from Tuesday article, is this what you are looking for?
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/sim-speak-about-charlotte-missionary-ebolas-return/ngtYK/
"Nancy has arrived safely. Let me just take a pause. Samaritan's Purse and SIM are so grateful," SIM President Bruce Johnson said while choking back tears.
Johnson said he does not know how Writebol contracted Ebola in Liberia......... He said she did not have any direct contact with Ebola patients."

I am interested, and have read the thread. I don't have much to say. I do find the serum based on 'recovered' cases interesting. They did that with polio in 1920s-30s too, before there was gamma globulin and then the vaccine(s). Not really related - just thought it was interesting.

Quoting myself :)

Here is the article.

"Writebol worked as a hygienist whose role included decontaminating those entering or leaving the Ebola treatment area at that hospital."

I guess it is possible she came into contact with bodily fluids of infected individuals, although that job description is slightly vague.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/ebola-...ncy-writebol-leaves-liberia-tuesday-1.2726884

ETA: thanks atthelake. That may have been it!

i think we've all seen/heard it :)

but she was decontaminating suits so the theory is she came into contact with fluid that way. but the priest? did the patient sneeze on him? and why, if you visit an ebola patient, wouldn't you wear PPE? i honestly don't understand what's going on over there...

This was from Tuesday article, is this what you are looking for?
http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/sim-speak-about-charlotte-missionary-ebolas-return/ngtYK/
"Nancy has arrived safely. Let me just take a pause. Samaritan's Purse and SIM are so grateful," SIM President Bruce Johnson said while choking back tears.
Johnson said he does not know how Writebol contracted Ebola in Liberia......... He said she did not have any direct contact with Ebola patients."

I think she would be the one spraying people that came out of Ebola hospital. Maybe while she was spraying, some of it splashed onto her.

I think she would be the one spraying people that came out of Ebola hospital. Maybe while she was spraying, some of it splashed onto her.

Yes, but shouldn't she have been wearing one of those white suits? Surely they would have given her more than a face mask and some gloves.

I'm assuming by this article that 1 vial is 1 full dose.

the point i am trying to make (again) is three vials were flown to africa. nowhere have i read that those are the only 3 in existence. if anyone comes to this conclusion, i think the articles are being misread.

moving on...

Just because only three doses were send to Liberia, doesn't mean that's all there is. This serum is made from genetically modified plants.
Three doses were send to Liberia. Two were given to Nancy and one to the doctor. It would seem now that she is back into the US, the company made more serum. Or they already had more in storage.

bump!

the point i am trying to make (again) is three vials were flown to africa. nowhere have i read that those are the only 3 in existence. if anyone comes to this conclusion, i think the articles are being misread.

moving on...

It's TOP SECRET, no one even knew they existed, it certainly is TOP SECRET as to how many................ move on as you please.................I remain very distrustful of the gov't, and willfully removing the wool/sheep placed over my eyes.:moo:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back