American doctor in Liberia tests positive for Ebola virus

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I first heard of Ebola from a news magazine show on ABC. The movie, Outbreak had an Ebola like virus called Matoba.

I stand corrected- (apparently I gave away my only copy of Outbreak. I have most of his other novels.):
Outbreak is a medical thriller written by Dr. Robin Cook and published in 1987 which deals with an outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus in the United States.
Despite its name and very similar storyline, the book is not connected to the 1995 movie also called Outbreak. The book was made into a television movie in 1995 and released under the title Robin Cook's Virus, later renamed Formula for Death, starring Nicollette Sheridan and William Devane.

Dr. Marissa Blumenthal of the CDC investigates a series of deadly ebola outbreaks. The ebola virus, considered a level 4 pathogen, then plays havoc with the lives of innocent people. The ultimate villain is the ever-helpful doctor friend of Dr. Blumenthal. In the end Dr. Blumenthal is nearly killed by a goon but an FBI agent kills him and she is saved. The person she suspected was innocent and simply had been so caught up in protecting the CDC that he refused to listen and figured out the truth almost too late. Later it is explained to her that due to her investigation the people responsible for the outbreaks were caught and were going to jail for a long time including her former friend and that what they did was being compared to the Nazis. She has become an international epidemiological hero for her actions but she has decided to possibly go back into pediatrics after a vacation she's about to take at the end of the story. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outbreak_(novel)

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/spanish-missionary-with/1301406.html

An Airbus A310 carrying 75-year-old Roman Catholic priest Miguel Pajares landed at the Spanish capital's Torrejon military air base at 8:15 am (0615 GMT), the Defence Ministry said in a message on Twitter. The priest had tested positive for Ebola at the Saint Joseph Hospital in the Liberian capital Monrovia where he worked, according to the Spanish aid organisation that employs him, Juan Ciudad ONGD.

r

A health worker, wearing personal protection gear, offers water to a woman with Ebola virus disease (EVD), at a treatment centre for infected persons in Kenema Government Hospital, in Kenema, Eastern Province, Sierra Leone in this August, 2014 handout photo provided by UNICEF August 6, 2014.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/08/07/us-health-ebola-treatments-idUKKBN0G716D20140807
Ebola emergency turns spotlight on experimental drugs
"..............On Wednesday the World Health Organization said it would discuss next week the ethics of using Ebola drugs that have never been cleared for human use, wary of a long history of medicines being tested on people who were never properly informed of the risks. In the countries hardest hit by Ebola, suspicion of foreign medical workers is already widespread......".

In the photo above, please note the child is NOT wearing PPE.

This is the sort of thing that W. Africa deals with - very little infrastructure, very limited supplies, and very little education on how to prevent disease. And the lack of trust of those who come to help makes everything 100x harder...

Bless everyone in the path of Ebola, either there, or here, or in between. Just God bless everyone.

Best-
Herding Cats

In the photo above, please note the child is NOT wearing PPE.

This is the sort of thing that W. Africa deals with - very little infrastructure, very limited supplies, and very little education on how to prevent disease. And the lack of trust of those who come to help makes everything 100x harder...

Bless everyone in the path of Ebola, either there, or here, or in between. Just God bless everyone.

Best-
Herding Cats

Despite what we are being told, I don't think US hospitals are anywhere near ready if Ebola was to outbreak here. We only have four hospitals with isolation units like the one in Emory. Even those for are not going to hold many people. Where would all the patients going to go then?
The guy who flew to Nigeria apparently managed to infect a bunch of people there before his disease was recognized as Ebola. One nurse already died. What is to stop something like that from happening in the US? In fact that guy was an American Citizen. We are lucky he didn't fly back to US.

http://www.raps.org/Regulatory-Focus/News/2014/08/07/19977/Regulatory-Explainer-What-You-Need-to-Know-About-the-Regulation-of-Ebola-Treatments/

Regulatory Explainer: What You Need to Know About the Regulation of Ebola Treatments
Posted 07 August 2014

Excellent article.... :moo:

The questions that are answered in this article include:
Let's Start at the Beginning—What Does the Drug Development Process for a Drug Usually Look Like?
That Sounds Straightforward. Does That Process Work for Drugs Intended to Treat Ebola?
Why is the Animal Rule Necessary?
What Happens if an Ebola Drug is Being Tested, but Has Not Yet Obtained FDA Approval? Can it Still be Used?
Can FDA Grant Emergency Approvals to Ebola Drugs?
I Heard of Some Ebola Patients Being Given an Experimental Product Which Hadn't Obtained FDA Approval—Did They Obtain Approval Through the Expanded Access Process?
What's This I Hear About a "Top Secret" Drug to Treat Ebola?
FDA Sometimes Uses ‘Enforcement Discretion’ in Emergency Situations. Is it using that with Ebola?
I've Heard Quite a Bit About an Ebola Treatment Called ZMapp. Are There Any Other Experimental Drugs in Development?
Some Americans Have Reportedly Obtained Access to Experimental Therapies. Why Aren't More People Receiving the Drug?
FDA Regulates Drugs in the US—How did Treatments Get Approved to be Sent to Africa?
If There's no Ready Market for These Drugs, Why Would Any Company Make Them?
Are There Other Incentives to Develop Treatments for Ebola?
Are There Other Ways of Getting new Ebola Treatments to Patients More Quickly?
What Other Testing Hurdles Exist?
You Mentioned the Animal Rule Earlier—What Happens if a Drug Undergoing Testing is Used in Humans with Ebola? Will FDA Look at its Use for the Purposes of Approval?

Despite what we are being told, I don't think US hospitals are anywhere near ready if Ebola was to outbreak here. We only have four hospitals with isolation units like the one in Emory. Even those for are not going to hold many people. Where would all the patients going to go then?
The guy who flew to Nigeria apparently managed to infect a bunch of people there before his disease was recognized as Ebola. One nurse already died. What is to stop something like that from happening in the US? In fact that guy was an American Citizen. We are lucky he didn't fly back to US.

latest background on that patient etc... This is one of the reasons that the WHO could shut down exiting countries or instituting extreme control
measures as a result of the two-day emergency meeting taking place right now in Geneva - recommendation is expected Friday (tomorrow) morning.

http://frontpageafricaonline.com/index.php/news/2506-sawyer-s-final-hours-in-lagos-indiscipline-rage-strange
Sawyer’s Final Hours In Lagos: ‘Indiscipline’, Rage, Strange
"In the aftermath of Sawyer’s death, diplomatic, ECOWAS and medical authorities here are baffled over Sawyer’s deception, especially armed with new information that his sister, Princess had died of the deadly virus and his denial. Finance Ministry sources in Monrovia are in quiet murmur over what they feel was a letdown by Sawyer for not being forthcoming with his peers he worked with.....FrontPageAfrica has now learnt that Sawyer exhibited similar indiscipline behavior during his sister’s stay at the Catholic Hospital in Monrovia where she was taken because he noticed she was bleeding profusely and was later found to be a victim of Ebola....Sawyer was seen with blood on his clothing after his sister’s death and had earlier demanded that she be placed in a private room. President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf cited indiscipline and disrespect as a key reason why Sawyer contracted the Ebola virus. She said his failure to heed medical advice put the lives of other residents across the nation’s border at risk.......Back in Monrovia, Samaritan Purse, the U.S. missionary group helping to treat Ebola patients is scaling down, announcing Wednesday, plans to evacuate nonessential personnel given the five-month-old outbreak is worsening as the fate of two Americans infected with the Ebola hang in the balance on hope and prayers."

http://allafrica.com/stories/201408070521.html
Nigeria: Sawyer Knew He Was Infected Before Coming - Minister
"The paper said Mr. Sawyer vomited a few times among his friends in Liberian just before heading to the airport and also on the plane.FrontPage Africa’s publisher, Rodney Sieh, later told PREMIUM TIMES by telephone from the Liberian capital, Monrovia, that his paper’s extensive reporting on the matter showed clearly Mr. Sawyer knew he had contacted the Ebola virus before travelling to Nigeria. “He definitely knew he was sick and it was curious that he still decided to travel,” Mr. Sieh said. “His sister had died from the virus and he most likely had contact with her..... According to FrontPage Africa, after Mr. Sawyer became ill on the airplane; he denied to First Consultant’s personnel that he had contact with anyone infected with Ebola despite repeated inquiries"

Unfortunately, some people will travel even if they know they could be infectious.

No, jjenny, I agree - we are nowhere near ready to handle something like this. However, I will also say that what we can do, and do much much better than those in Africa (for whatever reason - I make no judgment here), is BOTH supportive care, as well as preventative precautions.

Because we do supportive and preventive better, it will be perhaps easier to control if Ebola comes here. OTOH, it terrifies me to know that this virus is here, especially because I believe it has mutated, and may become airborne (and, tbh, I think that may have already started...). And if so, all bets are off...

Best-
Herding Cats

latest background on that patient etc... This is one of the reasons that the WHO could shut down exiting countries or instituting extreme control
measures as a result of the two-day emergency meeting taking place right now in Geneva - recommendation is expected Friday (tomorrow) morning.

http://frontpageafricaonline.com/index.php/news/2506-sawyer-s-final-hours-in-lagos-indiscipline-rage-strange
Sawyer’s Final Hours In Lagos: ‘Indiscipline’, Rage, Strange
"In the aftermath of Sawyer’s death, diplomatic, ECOWAS and medical authorities here are baffled over Sawyer’s deception, especially armed with new information that his sister, Princess had died of the deadly virus and his denial. Finance Ministry sources in Monrovia are in quiet murmur over what they feel was a letdown by Sawyer for not being forthcoming with his peers he worked with.....FrontPageAfrica has now learnt that Sawyer exhibited similar indiscipline behavior during his sister’s stay at the Catholic Hospital in Monrovia where she was taken because he noticed she was bleeding profusely and was later found to be a victim of Ebola....Sawyer was seen with blood on his clothing after his sister’s death and had earlier demanded that she be placed in a private room. President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf cited indiscipline and disrespect as a key reason why Sawyer contracted the Ebola virus. She said his failure to heed medical advice put the lives of other residents across the nation’s border at risk.......Back in Monrovia, Samaritan Purse, the U.S. missionary group helping to treat Ebola patients is scaling down, announcing Wednesday, plans to evacuate nonessential personnel given the five-month-old outbreak is worsening as the fate of two Americans infected with the Ebola hang in the balance on hope and prayers."

http://allafrica.com/stories/201408070521.html
Nigeria: Sawyer Knew He Was Infected Before Coming - Minister
"The paper said Mr. Sawyer vomited a few times among his friends in Liberian just before heading to the airport and also on the plane.FrontPage Africa’s publisher, Rodney Sieh, later told PREMIUM TIMES by telephone from the Liberian capital, Monrovia, that his paper’s extensive reporting on the matter showed clearly Mr. Sawyer knew he had contacted the Ebola virus before travelling to Nigeria. “He definitely knew he was sick and it was curious that he still decided to travel,” Mr. Sieh said. “His sister had died from the virus and he most likely had contact with her..... According to FrontPage Africa, after Mr. Sawyer became ill on the airplane; he denied to First Consultant’s personnel that he had contact with anyone infected with Ebola despite repeated inquiries"

This is interesting but (for me at least) still raises the question of how someone coming off a plane from Liberia, a known Ebola hot spot, could fail to be put in isolation for 24 hours. I don't care what he claimed or didn't claim - anyone arriving from Guinea, Liberia or Sierra Leone with potential Ebola symptoms should be put in isolation until tests give them the all-clear.

Also, the description of him basically 'playing up' and being disrespectful and behaving strangely could at least in part be due to the infection.

Whilst i agree that failing to admit he had been in contact with Ebola was unforgivable (if that is actually what happened) people should be aware that psychiatric symptoms are a feature of Ebola because the combination of weird clotting and thinning of the blood affects the brain just as it affects all of the other internal organs.

Unfortunately there are people who lie! No reason to sidestep it and try to call it anything else, it is a blatant lie.

ETA: In reference to Mr. Sawyer.

r

A health worker, wearing personal protection gear, offers water to a woman with Ebola virus disease (EVD), at a treatment centre for infected persons in Kenema Government Hospital, in Kenema, Eastern Province, Sierra Leone in this August, 2014 handout photo provided by UNICEF August 6, 2014.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/08/07/us-health-ebola-treatments-idUKKBN0G716D20140807
Ebola emergency turns spotlight on experimental drugs
"..............On Wednesday the World Health Organization said it would discuss next week the ethics of using Ebola drugs that have never been cleared for human use, wary of a long history of medicines being tested on people who were never properly informed of the risks. In the countries hardest hit by Ebola, suspicion of foreign medical workers is already widespread......".

Why is the child not suited up??????? Why is he even there (the child) ???????

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimmyann4141
Back