American doctor in Liberia tests positive for Ebola virus

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Of course they traveled by plane. How else would they get from Liberia to US? Incubation period is up to 21 days (and could actually be as long as 25 days). So once that is up, (it hasn't been 21 days yet) it will become clear if his family is infected or not.

I was referring to her trip from Texas to Atlanta. When she traveled from Liberia to the US she did not know her husband had ebola and that she may have been exposed. The trip from Texas to Atlanta is different, IMO. If she traveled here to visit with her husband today I hope doctors are certain there was no risk to the public.

I think we will see deadly Ebola in this country but when it happens, it will be from your everyday travelers and not this doctor. We know he has it. Think of all the travelers who will have symptoms and NOT report it. It will happen.

I was referring to her trip from Texas to Atlanta. When she traveled from Liberia to the US she did not know her husband had ebola and that she may have been exposed. The trip from Texas to Atlanta is different, IMO. If she traveled here to visit with her husband today I hope doctors are certain there was no risk to the public.

The doctors seem very nonchalant about this whole thing.

Does anyone else feel like a huge mistake has been made?
Why was it so important that he come here to Emory?

IMO they knew the virus got out before he showed up and now they can blame it on him.
Oops?

All posts are MOO

do you remember where you read/saw this?

i googled "brantly and helicopter" and got this... theory re: faked ambulance transport (OOPS -- GUESS THAT LINK IS NOT WANTED HERE -- SORRY)
I heard the reporter SAY that live on TV as I was cursing them and watching it. My husband heard it too because we were discussing the cost of life flight and the fact that he just walked out of the ambulance, he was not in a life threatening position at that moment, then we heard the helicopter is too small to encase him. (Like on the jet)
Therefore the ambulance was used.
There is a wreck on every corner in Atlanta I am
so glad an 18 wheeler didn't run into them!

My guess is no helicopter pilot was willing to risk their life to fly him without a barrier. Guess the bubble suit wasn't enough.

***I just went through all the transcripts on CNN and they don't have them up from when the Dr. arrived. It was about 11:30 am. The comment I heard was right as he was arriving at Emory.

Another reason could be that the isolation unit is not connected to the hospital and the only way to land on the roof and take him in would require he be on elevators and hallways etc.
All posts are MOO

I heard the reporter SAY that live on TV as I was cursing them and watching it. My husband heard it too because we were discussing the cost of life flight and the fact that he just walked out of the ambulance, he was not in a life threatening position at that moment, then we heard the helicopter is too small to encase him. (Like on the jet)
Therefore the ambulance was used.
There is a wreck on every corner in Atlanta I am
so glad an 18 wheeler didn't run into them!

My guess is no helicopter pilot was willing to risk their life to fly him without a barrier. Guess the bubble suit wasn't enough.

All posts are MOO

Oh geez I never even thought of a auto accident.

This whole thing is so scary.

http://www.georgianewsday.com/news/...ulance-after-landing-in-us-for-treatment.html

<scroll down for AP photos>

Specially contained: Dr. Kent Brantly, one of two Americans who contracted the deadly Ebola virus while working in West Africa, landed in the U.S. Saturday and is en route to Emory University Hospital for treatment ..
According to WXIA, Emory's isolation unit is on the ground floor and has three beds with the highest standards in negative pressure air handling, HEPA filtration and exhaust.
...we hoped we'd never have to use the space to treat a serious communicable disease
'When this unit was being built, we hoped we'd never have to use the space to treat a serious communicable disease,' said Emory epidemiologist Bruce Ribner.
After it emerged the Americans were returning to their homeland, Twitter lit up with fellow citizens fuming over the decision.
One self-proclaimed patriot was especially unhappy with the news.
'Ebola patient will be brought to the U.S. in a few days - now I know for sure that our leaders are incompetent. KEEP THEM OUT OF HERE!' Donald Trump tweeted Thursday evening.

<sniped - read more>

"A hospital spokesman confirmed that Brantly walked into the building under his own power, the Reuters news agency reported."
Notice the driver is in a biohazard suit as well.
Is the cab of that ambulance seperate from the back?Like a U Haul?

upu8ene8.jpg

http://m.aljazeera.com/story/20148332930120611

The plan was for him to be taken by ground per the Pentagon...
The patients will be flown to Dobbins Air Reserve base in the Atlanta area, the Pentagon said. Upon arrival, the patients will be driven to Emory in a special ambulance, according to Emory staff.

http://m.aljazeera.com/story/20148332930120611
So.I guess chopper was a big .NO since pilot couldn't be seperate from patient, or because he couldn't wear a biohazard suit, or the chopper couldn't be cleaned enough in the event he became ill?

Were they worried hed be shot down ?
I dont know. I know a military SUV followed.behind the caravan... There were a lot of vehicles traveling with the ambulance, more than we realized.

All posts are MOO

Oh geez I never even thought of a auto accident.

This whole thing is so scary.

And they went on the expressway with traffic in both adjacent lanes.. Talking about a catastrophic accident just waiting to happen.. I worked for Atlanta Fire and was assigned to the hazard materials unit squad 4/5, which is the unit that would have responded in case of an accident. The CDC is located only three or four miles from where the photos of the convoy were taken.. Sure am glad I am retired now..

if this is nothing to worry about, why have approx. 60 ebola healthcare workers died while using the necessary precautions?

http://www.vox.com/2014/8/1/5959413...ter-than-our-efforts-to-control-it/in/5712456

if this is nothing to worry about, why won't anyone say how these two people were infected? if they'd been pricked by a needle or found themselves wearing a glove that was cut, wouldn't that be shared by now? why the secrecy?

I've been lurking around here for a bit, and this is my first post. However, I have some insight into how these healthcare workers were exposed. I've worn PPE before, and even in air conditioning, they are incredibly uncomfortable and hot. Most of the medical facilities that these healthcare workers are in are at best buildings with no HVAC, and at worst, tents and other temporary structures. These healthcare workers are just as vulnerable to fatigue as anyone else, and I can only imagine the heat makes it much worse. When fatigue sets in, people get careless. That is why we had a limit of 45 minutes (and that was in air conditioned labs working with tissue samples) before we had to take a mandatory break.

When people get tired, they make mistakes. It can be as simple as touching your face or not properly removing your PPE.

As far as the family being transported from Texas to Atlanta, keep in mind that you could easily drive that distance. It would be a long drive, but it can be done. It is also entirely possible they came by private airplane or chartered airplane.

thanks seph -- and WELCOME TO WEBSLEUTHS!!!:greetings:

:wagon: :welcome: :welcome2: :welcome4: :welcome6:

just re-watched the interview i linked earlier where dr. gupta spoke w/ the director of the cdc... when sanjay asked "so you have no reservations about bringing these patients to the US?", frieden did not answer the question, and instead gave a run around answer... is this concerning?

just re-watched the interview i linked earlier where dr. gupta spoke w/ the director of the cdc... when sanjay asked "so you have no reservations about bringing these patients to the US?", frieden did not answer the question, and instead gave a run around answer... is this concerning?

Of course it is concerning. If this Ebola gets out, these people will have a lot of explaining to do.

Like I said way back in the beginning...I think this is a mutated form of Ebola...seems to be either an enhanced or refined mode of transmission, imho. I have read from several sources that both the Dr and the RN who got Ebola took all precautions, and did not report any break in bio suits...which means there wasn't a break in them, again imho.

So, for both Dr and RN to get Ebola, there had to be some alternate route of transmission; either that, or we're not yet seeing even the beginning of the crest of this epidemic...why I say that is, if both the Dr and the RN got it while out walking around the city, eating dinner, shopping, traveling - basically any activity other than being in a level 4 containment suit/set-up...which means it's running around cities, and many, many hundreds/thousands of folks are being exposed.

I don't mind, I don't think, that he is getting great care. I think I mind that he is getting great care here...that the virus, active and "alive" (well, as alive as Ebola/any virus gets, I suppose) is on our shores...when we don't know it's natural host, it's preferred environment (some virii prefer hot, some cold, some moderate; same with humidity, and so on...), if it has a carrier/intermediary...we don't know so damned much about Ebola...

AtTheLake, thanks for that vid. This one shows a bit more assistance than the other one...a bit more assistance indeed.

Best-
Herding Cats

Which photo? The caption I see says it's professor Oxford, which is a completely different guy.

Oh sorry, wasn't sure what the name of the Dr. In this case was.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First, I wish survival & a return to health for the American patients.

My hubby grew up in Druid Hills where neighbors were professionals at Emory Hospital, the University & CDC. Much of the research & work ties all 3 institutions together. Historically, there has been a lot of "very scary stuff going on around there." We don't even want to know what's cooking (or chilling) in the CDC labs. Planning & operation of the containment treatment area is probably one of the best researched in modern medical knowledge. There are surely many safeguards for human error. I choose to believe that the public is safe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back