Greece American tourist a retired cop, 59, not returned from a solo hike, Amorgos Island, 11 June 24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
That still wouldn't be enough water for this trip, though. You'd need double that, plus electrolytes. And, with all that weight, the trip is not logistically possible IMO. The weight would be very problematic in that heat. Even carrying 3 liters can feel like a burden: it weighs 6 lbs approx without the container.

IMO a hiker in those conditions wouldn't be surviving until dark. I believe heatstroke death comes quickly.

That particular pack (Juno) has very high reviews. Very nice one IME.

Yeah. If you were planning on being out there for 4 hours in 100+ heat, 2 gallons of water & electrolyes would not be too much. That water is going to weigh about 17 pounds, so even though you are consuming it, it is a dis-incentive to carry more safety supplies or gear, and you are just adding huge additional stress to your cardiovascular system.

And even under shade, that temperature is very stressful as the ambient air is not cooling your body at all. Add direct sunshine and 100 will feel like 110

Questions: Is there just one path from the place he was last seen to his presumed destination? Is it the shortest path? Is there a shortcut through rough terrain? Is there a chance that he got lost? How many people would normally be on the same path at that time of day? Since he was not found on the presumed path, why would he leave the trail? To get some shade? To get a better view of something? Could he have fallen off a cliff or down steep terrain? Did he try to get to the beach?

Although previous interviews suggest not, I do hope his loved ones have been getting more info than we have... at least more info (and confirmations of times/places) than they were receiving two days ago.

jmo

Questions: Is there just one path from the place he was last seen to his presumed destination? Is it the shortest path? Is there a shortcut through rough terrain? Is there a chance that he got lost? How many people would normally be on the same path at that time of day? Since he was not found on the presumed path, why would he leave the trail? To get some shade? To get a better view of something? Could he have fallen off a cliff or down steep terrain? Did he try to get to the beach?

There is one major path that bifurcates mid-way through. The majority of hikers will use the path he probably didn;t take. There are enough hikers that a little cafe offers drinks and food along the way, but this day would have been very sparse as it was so hot and few people would risk it.

He's visited Amargos 20 times and loves to hike there so he knew the hiking trails better than many locals. But perhaps he fell, or wanted some shade or such and had to deviate to a place that was less safe.

Shortcuts are really dangerous and in some places impossible because you have to navigate over and around terraced stone walls so it is very cumbersome and prone to turning an ankle or other injuries. What looks easy on a map may be very much difficult.

Of course he could have taken a wrong turn on to one of the lesser used trails and become lost.

It appears he did not have a smartwatch. He had two phones with him, but whatever happened, neither of those phones were used. I'd think he had one in his pack and one in his pocket. Either he fell and lost consciousness, then heat stroke set in, or the pack was out of reach and whatever was in his pocket was damaged or also fell out of reach.

Last edited:
Although previous interviews suggest not, I do hope his loved ones have been getting more info than we have... at least more info (and confirmations of times/places) than they were receiving two days ago.

jmo

The weather is cooler and the report from today noted there was a tracking dog with it's handler being used. Clearly the family has as much information as they can find. He has many friends on the island and they are also contributing their knowlege or assisting.

WRT to the discussion about sleeping in the roof: IME this is normal in many parts of Greece.

My architect friend and his wife and children typically sleep on the flat roof terrace in summer. I have often had a bed in a guest house type accommodation on the roof, and once a travellers hostel type place where all the beds were out in the garden.

This is dying out in busy islands as tourism takes a greater hold but still common on more isolated islands with more backpackers etc.

Since he was not found on the presumed path, why would he leave the trail? To get some shade? To get a better view of something? Could he have fallen off a cliff or down steep terrain? Did he try to get to the beach?
IMO, as a retired Sheriff's Deputy (though we don't know where in California, do we?), surely he would have dealt with cases of heat exhaustion/heat stroke in others, if nothing else than cases like vulnerable seniors in their homes without aircon, and dogs/children in hot cars.

IMO he felt fit and strong, had never had problems on this trail before, and had made plans to do it, so was going to follow through and do it. He wasn't a quitter. Plus, the longer he lingered at the store, the hotter it would be. I'm attaching a screenshot from weather history that day, showing how quickly temperatures were rising that morning.

The advice from the California public health website:

"If activity in the heat makes your heart pound or leaves you gasping for breath, stop activity, get into a cool or shady area, and rest. Especially if you become lightheaded, confused, weak or feel faint."

IMO, that would be the instinct and natural reaction of someone like him. Try to find the nearest shelter : from up on the island spine, that would be a stone building, or grove of trees. Once there, he could rest, assess his situation, call for help if necessary.

I wonder if he had a map on his phone - or perhaps just knew the whole island from exploring it on so many visits.

JMO
20240620_160015.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah. If you were planning on being out there for 4 hours in 100+ heat, 2 gallons of water & electrolyes would not be too much. That water is going to weigh about 17 pounds, so even though you are consuming it, it is a dis-incentive to carry more safety supplies or gear, and you are just adding huge additional stress to your cardiovascular system.

And even under shade, that temperature is very stressful as the ambient air is not cooling your body at all. Add direct sunshine and 100 will feel like 110
I think he factored in the stop at the store: drank over half his water on the way there, then resupplied for the rest of the hike. I think he planned carefully to be finished his hike by well before noon.

I noticed that typically, weather in past years on that day in June would be in the high 70°s.

JMO

IMO, as a retired Sheriff's Deputy (though we don't know where in California, do we?), surely he would have dealt with cases of heat exhaustion/heat stroke in others, if nothing else than cases like vulnerable seniors in their homes without aircon, and dogs/children in hot cars.
bbm, & snipped for focus.
He is from Hermosa Beach, reported earlier. I noticed because I live in the same area...5 miles away or so. Hermosa Beach is a beach community. We don't have the extreme dry heat you'd have inland. Likely most of what he dealt with were water and (cliff rescues where I am), and of course crime in the area. Then again he was likely trained for heat exhaustion cases and such, which could result in certain conditions (children in hot cars etc)

Yes, exactly. This trip cannot be done safely, by the math.
Even half of it would feel like too much on your back.

Last edited:
I'm not finding any news updates from today, June 21 in the English language or European media. Has the family posted anything new?

By now I imagine the two LA SAR members have had to return to the US.
I think there were 7 people searching for EAC. Don't know how many are left now, but, sadly, I can't see him being found alive now. It's been 10 days since he went missing now.

If he had two phones with him, one presumable a US-based smartphone, would that be storing any GPS or other tracking data if it was not open, but not completely shut down? I would think he sent his GF the trailhead photo on that phone, and most likely had the most GPS and other tracking data capacity on that one, rather than a local phone with a Greek phone #

We've heard the Greek authorities don't seem to want to pursue opening his second phone for data. I would think the family could get a US-based carrier or brand to get them some access to his US phone records.

Right now, failing any bird, insect, or scent signs of a demise, I think that might be the best option to pursue.

I think he factored in the stop at the store: drank over half his water on the way there, then resupplied for the rest of the hike. I think he planned carefully to be finished his hike by well before noon.

I noticed that typically, weather in past years on that day in June would be in the high 70°s.

JMO
But IMO as a resupply, a bottle of water and a bottle of cole would be inadequate in those conditions for even half the trip. And we don’t know how much he had for the first half of the trip. He might have made those purchases to compensate for being dehydrated already.

But IMO as a resupply, a bottle of water and a bottle of cole would be inadequate in those conditions for even half the trip. And we don’t know how much he had for the first half of the trip. He might have made those purchases to compensate for being dehydrated already.
The CCTV shows him carrying two sort of squat round black bottles when he is near the vehicle, along with his large black pack.

Unless he was saving good wine in them, I'd think they were both unbreakable and insulated water bottles and that he was taking them with him. I'd guess 1 to 1.5 liter each.

Like you, RichshawFan, I am a bit concerned that he did not actually have water with him for the first half and had to stop to get the Coke ( sugar, caffeine) and a bottle of water. That bottle manly have been something like 8 or 12 oz, not nearly enough for 2 more hours as the temps increased to over 100F.

But that oversight / lack of preparate goes counter to his working life in the LAPD and likely associated with some SAR and rescue operations. That's what makes all of this so confusing. To me, it points to a single catastrophic event, rather than a small mistake with compounding complications that could not be rectified by an experienced and prepared hiker.

Last edited:
The week prior, two unrelated tourists died on Crete.

One was 63 and the other was 70. Both collapsed and died, the older man having a known heart condition. Dr. Mosely was 67. The Dutch tourist who died was 84. The American tourist who died was 55.

The common issue with these deaths and collapses is exposure to high ambient temperature and an age over 50. EAC is just reaching that point and although he seems very fit, he may have some underlying mild health conditions that put him at higher risk. I think heatstroke just has to be the most likely cause for his disappearance. I wish he could be found soon.

I am behind on this thread so please forgive me if this has already been mentioned:

I am sure the heat has been a major factor in these deaths. I wonder how many of these folks had covid? I am curious because longer term adverse health effects are not yet fully known or even diagnosable but the medical community has indicated a likelihood of long term issues.

So maybe people who had otherwise been healthy, spent a lifetime of exploring/walking/hiking/etc. may have new factors in play, health-wise, along with the heat? It might explain why they might not have anticipated having issues doing things they had previously been able to do with no problem.

Just random musing on my part. MOO.

"Some people, especially those who had severe COVID-19, may experience multi-organ effects or autoimmune conditions lasting weeks, months, or even years after COVID-19 illness. Multi-organ effects can involve many body systems, including the heart, lungs, kidneys, skin, and brain."

I'm not finding any news updates from today, June 21 in the English language or European media. Has the family posted anything new?

By now I imagine the two LA SAR members have had to return to the US.
Apart from his brother, at least two people involved in the search are posting on fb (a Greek friend and a SAR member returning home). Apparently more volunteers are coming from the US.

The CCTV shows him carrying two sort of squat round black bottles when he is near the vehicle, along with his large black pack.

Unless he was saving good wine in them, I'd think they were both unbreakable and insulated water bottles and that he was taking them with him. I'd guess 1 to 1.5 liter each.

Like you, RichshawFan, I am a bit concerned that he did not actually have water with him for the first half and had to stop to get the Coke ( sugar, caffeine) and a bottle of water. That bottle manly have been something like 8 or 12 oz, not nearly enough for 2 more hours as the temps increased to over 100F.

But that oversight / lack of preparate goes counter to his working life in the LAPD and likely associated with some SAR and rescue operations. That's what makes all of this so confusing. To me, it points to a single catastrophic event, rather than a small mistake with compounding complications that could not be rectified by an experienced and prepared hiker.
Bbm.

That's what I still don't understand. As you say this was basically a highly experienced professional. The only logical explanation is that he was a bit blasé about the risks given that he had walked this route multiple times before. Sadly, this time, it just didn't work out for him.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back