Analysis of Casey's Clothes and Body Language

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The below doesn't necessarily apply to Casey's situation. But it goes to show you how the courts themselves have rules on dress. The below is from a judge himself.

http://dcourt.org/forum/node/529

Dress Code for your clients -- reminder

Tue, 12/20/2005 - 8:29am — JudgeJones (updated 2007-03-09) -- a reminder is needed on this point. Please have your staff caution your clients on these matters. Note the bolded language below.
Counselors (primarily, but not exclusively, those on the criminal court side), please make sure your clients show up with proper attire. The rules briefly are (as you well know):
  • No logo advertising t-shirts (Polo and the like with subtle emblems are OK). The target is the football sweatshirt, rock band pictures, Harley shirts and the like.
  • No hats.
  • No sunglasses inside unless by doctor's prescription.
  • Shirts tucked into pants (men).
  • All clothing clean.
Your clients who show up otherwise will either be sent home to change and if not returning by the time their case is called will be subject to forfeiture of bond; or, bond may immediately be forfeited and your client incarcerated if the court has concern about flight at that point.
Please help with this. The sloppiness has just about gotten on my last nerve! Today (2007-03-09) it DID get on my last nerve!

Quite frankly, I don't think that body language "experts" can "read" people by their facial expressions or movements anymore than anyone else. It takes quite some time to study someone's mannerisms and expressions in order to "read" them.

You know I realized that Casey's demeanor was odd in that she doesn't seem to show any grief for Caylee. I would have expected her to flinch every time the word "remains" was said.

But I had forgotten about GA. Her dad is in the hospital after what appears to be a suicide attempt and remains ill enough that he has been confined for 2 weeks now. Did anyone see KC attempt to ask BC a question ? I would have moved JB out of the way to ask "How is my Daddy today ?"

It's really chilling the more I think about her. She is dangerous.

A constant barrage of expectations from others is what pushes a lot of people over the edge. Society, in general, is not very compassionate towards strangers--people seem to think that we are all generic clones, with predictable behaviors for every given situation.

If you really want to dig down deep into some of the serious problems of this society, you might want to look at how people react when they are ridiculed for not fitting what someone considers to be "the norm". Many individuals who have commited tragic crimes have experienced this same type of non-acceptance by their peers and/or strangers.

The first step in solving a problem is realizing there is a problem. Maybe if everyone strives to incorporate a little understanding into their exchanges with others, we will not have to deal with the wrath of those who are not able to comprehend that what others think of them is not really all that important. Some very small dig one person makes against the other may be the straw that broke the camel's back to someone who is having a rough way to go. And this does not even involve walking on eggshells, all it involves is restraining ourselves from using someone else as a verbal punching bag--which in itself is disrespectful.

It seems very common for people suspected of crimes to be accused of inappropriate reactions as they go through the legal process. When you think about it, maybe the inappropriate is actually appropriate in that setting--there certainly seems to be a trend that way. Have you ever been involved in a media-focused criminal event as a suspect? Until that day arrives, I don't think you can say with any certainty exactly how you would act.

Grief and anxiety are very personal, and I don't think that people should be chastized for how they deal with it--nor should a lot be read into how they present themselves to the public when going through these emotions. A thorough analysis would involve a lot more than a few statements or photo ops presented by the media.

Picking apart every movement and inflection of the defendant may help the public deal with the situation, but this doesn't really do much towards contributing to finding out what really happened. And that's what this is all about--not US...but finding out what happened and why.

http://ezinearticles.com/?How-to-Dress-for-Court&id=188367

(snip)
Since that time, I have let my clients know that they should dress nicely for court, further describing the clothing as "church" wear. These clients have thanked me for informing them about how to appear in court.
If my clients do not have and cannot afford such attire, I even loan them some of my clothes or take them shopping. This has had a tremendous effect on my clients, and some of them had told me that this helps them tremendously, as they now no longer worry about "looking stupid" in court.
In conclusion, if you are about to attend a court hearing, even though you are not there as part of a fashion show or to be criticized in any way for your apparel, clothes really do make the man. Or the woman.
That's an interesting article, Suzi. Thanks for the link. If an individual is self-conscious about her clothing, in this case a defendant at trial, her lack of confidence will show in her demeanor by way of her body language. She might slouch or keep her arms folded in front of her, which a juror might perceive as incertitude regarding her innocence. As with Casey's ill-fitting blazer, tugging at the sleeves, fidgeting with buttons, are subtle cues that convey apprehension and anxiety.

Likewise, prison uniforms are dehumanizing and give the impression that the person wearing them in a courtroom is of a lower status than those around him. As I posted last night, that is the very reason the United States Constitution affords the accused the right to appear before his accusors in his own clothing. More than just a defense ploy, it is an element of due process.

A constant barrage of expectations from others is what pushes a lot of people over the edge. Society, in general, is not very compassionate towards strangers--people seem to think that we are all generic clones, with predictable behaviors for every given situation.

If you really want to dig down deep into some of the serious problems of this society, you might want to look at how people react when they are ridiculed for not fitting what someone considers to be "the norm". Many individuals who have commited tragic crimes have experienced this same type of non-acceptance by their peers and/or strangers.

The first step in solving a problem is realizing there is a problem. Maybe if everyone strives to incorporate a little understanding into their exchanges with others, we will not have to deal with the wrath of those who are not able to comprehend that what others think of them is not really all that important. Some very small dig one person makes against the other may be the straw that broke the camel's back to someone who is having a rough way to go. And this does not even involve walking on eggshells, all it involves is restraining ourselves from using someone else as a verbal punching bag--which in itself is disrespectful.

It seems very common for people suspected of crimes to be accused of inappropriate reactions as they go through the legal process. When you think about it, maybe the inappropriate is actually appropriate in that setting--there certainly seems to be a trend that way. Have you ever been involved in a media-focused criminal event as a suspect? Until that day arrives, I don't think you can say with any certainty exactly how you would act.

Grief and anxiety are very personal, and I don't think that people should be chastized for how they deal with it--nor should a lot be read into how they present themselves to the public when going through these emotions. A thorough analysis would involve a lot more than a few statements or photo ops presented by the media.

Picking apart every movement and inflection of the defendant may help the public deal with the situation, but this doesn't really do much towards contributing to finding out what really happened. And that's what this is all about--not US...but finding out what happened and why.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

To me, everything Casey does, from tying the t-shirt to her waist, to smiling when someone pays attention to her, is that Casey is always in a defensive mode. She is very confused and has absolutely no idea what the appropriate behavior would be. This is something she learned growing up - always look as if you are in control. jmo

It's pretty obvious KC's actions since day one say it's all about herself. (you can tell that by the tape recordings of her wahhing about herself)
And, she smiles in court because "JB and company were paying attenteon to her", and she loves attenteon.
But when the judge came in she is "twisting her hands" (when the court session starts), because its about "her being in trouble".
Get it?
It doesn't take an analyist to figure this out.
As far as her clothing, they can put her in a suit and do whatever they want, but when the jury sees those hot body photos, and hears all the incriminating evidence, she's no longer the "mom of the year"

I youtube'd the body language program from the history channel..how informative... there is a thread here where some sleuthers were able to decifer and crank up the volume to hear the exchange between kc and jose..anyone see that? no doubt this girl is immature...

I youtube'd the body language program from the history channel..how informative... there is a thread here where some sleuthers were able to decifer and crank up the volume to hear the exchange between kc and jose..anyone see that? no doubt this girl is immature...

and a narcassitc.. how could i miss that? probably misspelled it though..lol:banghead:

That's an interesting article, Suzi. Thanks for the link. If an individual is self-conscious about her clothing, in this case a defendant at trial, her lack of confidence will show in her demeanor by way of her body language. She might slouch or keep her arms folded in front of her, which a juror might perceive as incertitude regarding her innocence. As with Casey's ill-fitting blazer, tugging at the sleeves, fidgeting with buttons, are subtle cues that convey apprehension and anxiety.

Likewise, prison uniforms are dehumanizing and give the impression that the person wearing them in a courtroom is of a lower status than those around him. As I posted last night, that is the very reason the United States Constitution affords the accused the right to appear before his accusors in his own clothing. More than just a defense ploy, it is an element of due process.

It's a necessary evil. And the courts themselves demand the respect. What gets me though is the cases where you have a guy, that when he was arrested, looked like the criminal he is accused of being. At trial the guy is cleaned up and looks like a Christian Minister! It's sometimes hard for a jury to reconscile that the person they see in court is the heathon that commited a crime. The church look is really what good defense attorneys go for. I think Baez made a mistake letting Casey come to court looking like an attorney. My attorney told me not to. I was also told to never wear pants. I think after the bracelet incident JB will take more control over how Casey dresses.

I feel yesterday was KC's first dress rehearsal for the upcomming event (she loved to beleive she was an event planner) of Trial. The defense will get the reaction from the public and tweek her costume for her next appearance at trial. So if the defense team reads here, what would you like to see her in?

I think JB s wife dressed her:eek:, I guess she has to get her where she can. IMO

mikeysmommom, I read that Cindy gave the clothes to Baez. It was the article about the bracelet being hidden in the sock. Baez said Cindy gave him the clothes.

With a respectful nod to the moderators, I promise not to get catty about what I saw today.

I've only breezed through the posts here. ITA with what so many have said: someone else picked her wardrobe. I believe she did the very best with what she had. On the other hand, it didn't do her justice. I'm certainly no fashion Guru (how I keep hoping Stacy & Clinton will show up at my door!), but I felt that she looked much like a child playing "dress-up," and that paired with her silly antics (w/JB) was, well . . . silly.

While I understand & nod with agreement with those who have said her looks DO NOT matter, only her actions, I still agree more with those who have said that (like it or not), it does matter. I don't speak for every individual person, but I do believe that as a society this is, in general, how we think. It is, in fact, valid to discuss her appearance; think of this as a dress rehearsal - literally and figuratively - for the REAL JURY.

Lastly I want to draw attention to another thread regarding her psychological profile. Sorry to be so non-specific, and no link. I'm just not organised & I think my brain fell asleep halfway through BSG (my favorite show - I'm a geek!). Anyway, there are some riviting discussing about how she maybe tends to mimic the personality traits of her boyfriends, or in this case her lawyer. Maybe this conservative look is her way of bonding to JB.

Thanks for your attention & time!

Very well said! I had just commented earlier concerning this same thing. She is I think, in her mind right now, a lawyer helping with a case. It doesn't seem to register in her mind that this is HER case. In one of the jail visits she tells her mother she is looking up things for the trial and then today, she comes in dressed as if she is an attorney in court. She made notes, talked with her attorneys, tried to act as if she was part of the team. I totally agree with you.

It's a necessary evil. And the courts themselves demand the respect. What gets me though is the cases where you have a guy, that when he was arrested, looked like the criminal he is accused of being. At trial the guy is cleaned up and looks like a Christian Minister! It's sometimes hard for a jury to reconscile that the person they see in court is the heathon that commited a crime. The church look is really what good defense attorneys go for. I think Baez made a mistake letting Casey come to court looking like an attorney. My attorney told me not to. I was also told to never wear pants. I think after the bracelet incident JB will take more control over how Casey dresses.
It's a necessary evil that works both ways by providing the accused equal footing and protecting the judicial system from charges of discrimination.

As for the tart mom's wardrobe yesterday, it seems to have been chosen in haste. It might've been a last minute concession to get her to cooperate after she pitched a fit and said she wouldn't appear. Who knows. Maybe they did chooser a Sunday school outfit but she refused to wear it, so they borrowed a blazer from a staff member just to shut her up. :mad:

I wasn't sure if I could link an article, but I see it's allowed. This is a snip from an online article at Psychology Today...

Judging by Appearance

"Judges and juries can be swayed by more than just a pretty face: the clothing defendants wear and the jewelry they display can sometimes mean the difference between doing time and dodging jail."

The whole article can be read at: http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-19971101-000019.html

Mods, I apologize if I did this incorrectly. I'm still learning.

I wasn't sure if I could link an article, but I see it's allowed. This is snip from an online article at Psychology Today...

Judging by Appearance

"Judges and juries can be swayed by more than just a pretty face: the clothing defendants wear and the jewelry they display can sometimes mean the difference between doing time and dodging jail."

The whole article can be read at: http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-19971101-000019.html

Mods, I apologize if I did this incorrectly. I'm still learning.
you did it perfectly.

When watching KC in court I watch the video inits entirity. Then I go back and watch her eyes only to see where her focus is throughout. Go back again and watch hands, watch again for affect, watch again for her interactions. After your finished, combine your notes into one and you have pulled off a, "Diane Fossy" as I'v called it into human behavior in the most threatning of circumstances the criminal finds herself in. Kind of ironic she didn't seem threatned so far by what lies ahead of her(KC). I love the psych threads but sometimes you must look at what GA has said all along, "It is what it is" You can talk diagnosises till the cows come home to try and understand KC's issues and how she became a criminal. I respect all psych. opinions as I have had many myself, but to be able to see KC front and center in a court of law is the most interesting.

Once again... IMO, I kind of feel like, what else are you supposed to wear to court? You SHOULD be wearing a suit. Your hair SHOULD be tidy. It is a sign of respect.

I dont know what else everyone expects her to wear.

Personally, I could care less about this.

I watched the pre-court part too, and I couldn't help but notice that Casey has some sort of strange itch or irritation of her palms.

It sort of reminds me of Shakespeares' MacBeth where Lady MacBeth is constantly scrubbing her hands and saying, "out damned spot!"

Is this a rash, a nervous habit, or a psychological giveaway or body language that should be interpreted somehow?

It was quite striking how she was constantly rubbing and scratching at her palms and fingers. Take a look, and see if you agree.

OOh, yeah, watching her scratch her palms totally bugged me, whats up with that? Fidgety people drive me nuts, so between the tugging at the jacket and the palm thing I wanted to scream!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member