Andrea Lyon New DP Atty

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think after reading everything on Lyon's site and links (read her publications and awards and the sites she subscribes to) that she will be THE asset to Casey's case. She is a very upstanding lawyer and I believe after reading what is available about her that she is committed to upholding the constitutional rights of a defendant. This will help Casey's case.

I would stop short of calling her "noble" but it is a bulls eye for the defense.

If KC could only dump JB now she'd have more of a chance. With AL on the case now it will be a much more intelligently fought trial, which I will enjoy following.

(by the way, before anyone thinks I am a proponent of acquittal, let me say that I believe like nearly everyone on the planet that KC killed Caylee and should be punished to the full extent of the law...I'm just putting my two cents worth in regarding the choice of the excellent lawyer AL)

Very interested in the line of the defense story.

(sorry, I just posted this on the wrong forum)(don't be angry! :blowkiss:)

At least at this point, I doubt the newcomer, Ms. L, is lead counsel in any way other than in name only, though the situation is weird. None of the others are DP qualified, so they definitely need her and the apparent legitimacy boost she brings. But JB had to bring up to the press what he considers important -- the criticism of him, whether he could step aside, etc. - and announce that they are a "team of equals," and welcome her on board. He still acted like the one in charge, doing the welcoming. I'd forget about all her writings and lectures about plea deals to save the client's life, though, at least for the foreseeable future. The defendant and JB are adamantly opposed, and MsL took up the party line yesterday, saying that she's innocent and should be acquitted. I have no idea what would ever happen if push came to shove and they disagreed on a major issue like this.

If you have the time, go read the last link I just posted about how to represent these clients. She states that during the penalty phase, defending mitigating factors requires the defense attorney to bring up painful and emabarrassing information about the client and their family (similar wording...paraphrasing here!)

"A capital defender thus faces the daunting tasks of
investigating and preparing to meet the evidence against the
client in the trial, as well as investigating and preparing to
meet the aggravating evidence at a penalty phase, in addition
to locating and presenting mitigating evidence—much of
which is a matter of shame to the client and his family."

I believe this attorney will throw out any reasonable doubt possible out there. Even if it's a fabricated story from Casey. We know how good Casey is at that.

Now,wouldn't it be something if what ever happen to Caylee happen while she was in Cindy's care and Casey is covering for Cindy? (This would be something cooked into Casey's head.) Not that I believe this is the case, but what if? What if Casey claims she is covering for Cindy to gain the love she so desperately wanted in the first place? I would see this as the twist of this crazy saga....you never know. Nothing would shock me at this point. This family has been strange since day one and nothing would surprise me. Just thought I would thrown that out there because I feel this new attorney might start rattling some skeletons in the Anthony closets as well. Will Casey throw her family under the bus to save her life? I think she will if she has to and that is why she no longer needs their support and did not look their way yesterday in court.

Which reminded me of a comment Cindy made last year. What has been done is done and nothing can change that. So, we can assume that Cindy knew something back then. We know now what was done. IMO the Anthony's have shut down and made themselves believe that Caylee never existed to avoid more heart ache and Cindy blames herself for what happen to Caylee and now they are all for Casey, especially Cindy. Because of her own guilt, not out of love. A little to late to be a supportive parent. An innocent life was lost, they have tried to forget that innocent life and want to keep the possible killer alive and free so they don't look like bad parents (at least Cindy does), and so that they don't lose another child. The Anthony's sad to say will never have a normal life again as long as they support Casey, and even if they didn't a precious baby ended up dead most likely at the hands of their daughter and life will never be the same. It's a shame they will not stand up for Caylee, if they did the public would be more supportive and they could start healing. Until then, they might as well be in cell next to Casey because people will look down on them the same and everywhere they go they will be shunned away. Being a supportive parent does not mean that you will lie or cover up for a child's bad behavior. You stand by their side but you also make them aware of the repercussions they will have to pay for their crime so that they will learn. You never stop loving your child regardless. JMO

Does anyone have the stats on women in FLA. getting the death sentence? Just wondering how often it happens... thanks~

Not sure if this is what you were looking for , but had this saved from when the article about Casey came out.

With Casey Anthony's life at stake, court costs will soar

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,6347811.story

Death Penalty For Women Rare In Fla.
Baez: Casey's Not A Serial Killer
In nearly 100 years, a Florida jury has sentenced only 16 women to death, and most of those sentences were later thrown out for various legal reasons. There is only one woman on Death Row now out of 392 people.

"Very few women are put to death in Florida," defense attorney Jose Baez said. "She's not a serial killer."Anthony is charged with murdering a child, a crime that juries rarely find worth of capital punishment.

Statistics on Executed inmates in Florida

Refers to inmates executed after the death penalty was reinstated in Florida, beginning with J. Spenkelink’s execution in May 1979.
12.31 years is the average length of stay on Death Row prior to execution.
13.94 years is the average number of years between offense and execution.
44.35 years is the average age at time of execution.
30.40 years is the average age at offense for executed inmates.

Posted by Reality Orlando:

Some very interesting reading here on Woman on Death Row in Florida
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/women.html

Verité;3807711 said:
She will be Mirandized. She'll be told that she has the right to remain silent.

I didnt really explain myself here (am at work and hard to really do sometimes). If AL has knowledge of an inappropriate relationship between JB and KC under the bar ethic system is a licensee required to report this?

The first thing Lyon is doing is requesting an extension. She simply doesn't have enough time to prepare....well, surprise, surprise?!!! An experienced person such as she is and has been on board for some time now...just needs many more months to prepare. JB waited as long as he could to announce her. The judge let him too...the state ask last month for him to show his hand.

This merry-go-round has to be one of the longest cases in Florida History. It is a simple case and not complicated. Well, the longer it takes, the richer the Anthonys. People who give to them are so naive. Pretty soon the state may be giving them a handful too if that congressman gets his wish.

The wheels of justice seem to be flat in this case.

Caylee has not been dead a year and the trial has not begun but Baez & Co. did NOT ask for a speedy trial (which is their right).

Since it is a death penalty case I am totally not surprised that the trial has not yet begun and I don't think it is dragging out too much (yet!). The trial is set for October as it stands now, correct? And we are almost in June. I would think that June, July, August, and September is enough time for a new attorney to prepare her case.

When interviewed,after today's hearing,Attorney Lyons stated she will not answer questions because she doesn't know the case. Yet, she proclaimed Kc's innocence. She also stated SA doesn't have the evidence required to seek the death penalty. How is it she can make all these statements, but she doesn't know the case well enough to answer questions? [URL]http://www.wftv.com/video/19591538/index.html[/URL]

I was thinking the same thing! Now I'm convinced her motivation for being on the case is fame and book sales. She is supposed to be a top notch attorney but says contradictory statements in her first presser. You can't say someone is innocent one minute then say you don't know the case well enough to answer questions. How does she know she's innocent if she doesn't know the case well?

Caylee has not been dead a year and the trial has not begun but Baez & Co. did NOT ask for a speedy trial (which is their right).

Since it is a death penalty case I am totally not surprised that the trial has not yet begun and I don't think it is dragging out too much (yet!). The trial is set for October as it stands now, correct? And we are almost in June. I would think that June, July, August, and September is enough time for a new attorney to prepare her case.

I thought AL said it would not start in October during their little presser yesterday. No?

Who decides if and for how long a continuance is granted? Does the defense make a motion for a continuance and also name a potential date? Or do they ask for a continuance and the judge decides how long he will give them to prepare?

Thanks.

I thought AL said it would not start in October during their little presser yesterday. No?

Wow! Haven't even requested a delay, but all ready expects one to be granted.

Since JB told the Judge and everyone last month that he had a DP atty and was just waiting until now to announce, I hope the Judge takes this last month into consideration when thinking how long she has been part of the 'team.'

I was thinking the same thing! Now I'm convinced her motivation for being on the case is fame and book sales. She is supposed a top notch attorney but says contradictory statements in her first presser. You can't say someone is innocent one minute then say you don't know the case well enough to answer questions. How does she know she's innocent if she doesn't know the case well?

The word "SUPPOSE" is the key. Anymore because of politics I dont believe it until I see it and sometimes thats questionable. Anyone can write glorified things about themselves or co-author a book. How many people do you know listed as chairman or co-chairman on this board and that board and the boards never meet? As stated before I am NOT impressed with her position at U of M. I take the wait and see approach and still I will have questions because of politics...

Maybe its time for NG to come out of retirement and get qualified to do DP cases in the state of FL.... lol Now to me that would be an interesting trial! One of them would then lose a case........:laugh:

All I can say is I hope AL doesn't do any of her crying in front of the jury, that she's been known to do. I really feel like a jury may feel guilty putting KC to death since she's fairly young and doesn't look like an evil killer. Her crying female defense attorney might make them feel even worse IMO..

I have a feeling she is going to do a lot of boo hooing in unison with GA/CA. She'll probably say stuff like 'please don't devastate the grandparents more by killing their only daughter, they've both been suicidal...and on and on.' She'll lay a huge guilt trip on the jury.

I wish they could keep large, poster size pictures of Caylee up during this display to remind the jurors of the real victim..

I have a feeling she is going to be doing a lot of boo hooing in unison with GA/CA. She'll probably say stuff like 'please don't devastate the grandparents more by killing their only daughter, they've both been suicidal...and on and on.' She'll lay a huge guilt trip on the jury.

I wish they could keep large, poster size pictures of Caylee up during this display to remind the jurors of the real victim..

No doubt she will play the boohoo card. Agree about the photos being displayed everyday too.

off in another direction regarding the new attorney.

comments have been made regarding the difference in presentation of the A's and KC, which all coincide with the arrival of the new death penalty attorney.

Just a food for thought, is it possible that the entire family, and subsequently, their representatives, are being taken in hand, brought into the fold and given their instructions on how to comport themselves for the remainder of the the procedures to bring this case to a close?

Mods, If this belongs in the rumor thread, please move it.

But I am speculating on this hearing, and the change in how things appear to be from previous hearings.

I dont believe the failure to register with the court was an oversight, I think the attorney was on a fishing expedition to see and asses whatever damages have been done to the defense case, to get the measure of the judge and all the players. I saw the attorney covering a smile a time or two and never observed the "aghast" look ( mentioned on these pages). If it had been a hopelessly mired procedure I doubt the proper paperwork would have been presented following the hearing. Excuses would have been made, and another attorney sought.

I have an opinion that she has taken them ALL in hand and suggested if they want her services that its going to be on her terms and her terms are in the form of instructions for each of them in how to comport themselves in the public eye. Hence, the sulleness of the grandparents, and weepiness ( from anger as well as sorrow) . (i.e. "THIS is how serious it is Cindy, so if you want your daughter to live, then do as I say without exception.... take down the publicity for the memorial page, and be quiet about the new business. Stay off the interview circuit, stay off camera and watch what you say and how you appear. Control your faces and speeches." ) I believe (imo) that everyone had a "come to Jesus meeting" behind the scenes and it was THIS that has affected most of the demeanor changes. I think this will limit also, the antics of JB, and his last huzzah was seen in this hearing. IF she decides to continue based upon what she saw in court; if they haven't already mucked it up beyond repair, I think she will decide to step aboard, but again, only on her terms. I think she's very keenly aware of the benefits of joining so close to her book release, but this is not a stupid woman and I dont believe she will join up forces if JB continues to call the shots. I will be surprised if she lets him appear more than nominally from here on out. The proof of this speculation will be in the rest of the proceedings, and the comportment of the grandparents regarding the public eye.

I think JB was performing for her benefit as much as for answering the court. Hence the delayed paperwork. She was observing his performance as well, grading him as it were and OBSERVING the judge. Even LKB deferred to her in seating . They want this woman on board badly and I suspect she can set whatever terms she wants to, including dictating the means and ways the grandparents comport themselves publically, (which should give their lawyer a huge sigh of relief...certainly he cant control them.)

I think (imo) that Cindy finally got confronted with the poor choices of actions she's made, and it wasn't tears of being sad we observed but anger at finally being backed into a corner and told to behave or else be responsible for her daughters death sentence. She wouldnt' like being controlled in any manner and it would explain the faces..... rather like a toddler after having a temper tantrum. But the low key presence in court is a very telling change imo. I do believe Cindy FINALLY gets it, and has met her match, at least in this environment. I also beleive, this may have been the moment and delivery of the reality of where her daughter stands. not just about the death penatly , although certainly includes that, but also the fact of KC's responses to them, and how this all came about in the first place. The glimmer of truth is sparkling before them, and for the first time, I think they are noticing it. As final proof, KC ignored them upon exiting.... it's like getting a sucker punch right after being beaten up by someone else.

Its the only thing that explains everything .....even to commanding or controlling KC... I believe we have seen the end of all of all over-played antics, including JB, and KC's. If there ever was any hanky panky going on there, I doubt if even JB is intrepid enough to continue it, faced with the "iron spaniel: at the other end of the table. She looks more than capable of protecting the law in the face of untoward actions of attorney and client.

If any of this speculation is true, I predict the beginning of legal proceedings more in line with what we are used to expecting and certainly, Caylee deserves.

I sincerely hope so.

I have a feeling that the circus is over (and the fat lady is about to sing.):crossfingers:

That was a great post LawRig.

I wholeheartedly agree that AL slapped the entire clan into reality and the result was the change in demeanor we saw in court yesterday.

comments have been made regarding the difference in presentation of the A's and KC, which all coincide with the arrival of the new death penalty attorney.

Just a food for thought, is it possible that the entire family, and subsequently, their representatives, are being taken in hand, brought into the fold and given their instructions on how to comport themselves for the remainder of the the procedures to bring this case to a close?

But I am speculating on this hearing, and the change in how things appear to be from previous hearings.

I dont believe the failure to register with the court was an oversight, I think the attorney was on a fishing expedition to see and asses whatever damages have been done to the defense case, to get the measure of the judge and all the players. I saw the attorney covering a smile a time or two and never observed the "aghast" look ( mentioned on these pages). If it had been a hopelessly mired procedure I doubt the proper paperwork would have been presented following the hearing. Excuses would have been made, and another attorney sought.

I have an opinion that she has taken them ALL in hand and suggested if they want her services that its going to be on her terms and her terms are in the form of instructions for each of them in how to comport themselves in the public eye. Hence, the sulleness of the grandparents, and weepiness ( from anger as well as sorrow) . (i.e. "THIS is how serious it is Cindy, so if you want your daughter to live, then do as I say without exception.... take down the publicity for the memorial page, and be quiet about the new business. Stay off the interview circuit, stay off camera and watch what you say and how you appear. Control your faces and speeches." ) I believe (imo) that everyone had a "come to Jesus meeting" behind the scenes and it was THIS that has affected most of the demeanor changes. I think this will limit also, the antics of JB, and his last huzzah was seen in this hearing. IF she decides to continue based upon what she saw in court; if they haven't already mucked it up beyond repair, I think she will decide to step aboard, but again, only on her terms. I think she's very keenly aware of the benefits of joining so close to her book release, but this is not a stupid woman and I dont believe she will join up forces if JB continues to call the shots. I will be surprised if she lets him appear more than nominally from here on out. The proof of this speculation will be in the rest of the proceedings, and the comportment of the grandparents regarding the public eye.

I think JB was performing for her benefit as much as for answering the court. Hence the delayed paperwork. She was observing his performance as well, grading him as it were and OBSERVING the judge. Even LKB deferred to her in seating . They want this woman on board badly and I suspect she can set whatever terms she wants to, including dictating the means and ways the grandparents comport themselves publically, (which should give their lawyer a huge sigh of relief...certainly he cant control them.)

I think (imo) that Cindy finally got confronted with the poor choices of actions she's made, and it wasn't tears of being sad we observed but anger at finally being backed into a corner and told to behave or else be responsible for her daughters death sentence. She wouldnt' like being controlled in any manner and it would explain the faces..... rather like a toddler after having a temper tantrum. But the low key presence in court is a very telling change imo. I do believe Cindy FINALLY gets it, and has met her match, at least in this environment. I also beleive, this may have been the moment and delivery of the reality of where her daughter stands. not just about the death penatly , although certainly includes that, but also the fact of KC's responses to them, and how this all came about in the first place. The glimmer of truth is sparkling before them, and for the first time, I think they are noticing it. As final proof, KC ignored them upon exiting.... it's like getting a sucker punch right after being beaten up by someone else.

Its the only thing that explains everything .....even to commanding or controlling KC... I believe we have seen the end of all of all over-played antics, including JB, and KC's. If there ever was any hanky panky going on there, I doubt if even JB is intrepid enough to continue it, faced with the "iron spaniel: at the other end of the table. She looks more than capable of protecting the law in the face of untoward actions of attorney and client.

If any of this speculation is true, I predict the beginning of legal proceedings more in line with what we are used to expecting and certainly, Caylee deserves.

I sincerely hope so.

I have a feeling that the circus is over (and the fat lady is about to sing.):crossfingers:

Great post. I just posed similar questions in the procedures and legal thread earlier wondering if she can overcome the previous conflicts and animosity JB has created within his hearings and briefings and now with the briefing against the corrections dept.

Would love to read yours and others thoughts on this.

Great post. I just posed similar questions in the procedures and legal thread earlier wondering if she can overcome the previous conflicts and animosity JB has created within his hearings and briefings and now with the briefing against the corrections dept.

Would love to read yours and others thoughts on this.

I think if anyone can, this woman is more than capable. Whether or not she will, is still unanswered. Does anyone know if the promised paperwork was actually faxed to the court as promised for her entry?

Her biggest challenge is not the Anthony's deportment, she is capable of bullying Cindy into silence. It's not in the animosity JB has created, once she supplants him , the court and SA will probably celebrate because they know how to deal with a real attorney who doesnt toss confetti at them expecting them to grab the pieces and refit them to make some kind of sense out of the resultant documentation.

it's not the facts or KC who present her greatest challenge. She's already got KC's number and can out manipulate even her to get the desired result. (if Ms. L. can control Cindy's behaviour, she can manage KC.) And facts are her stock in trade.

no... the only hurdle I percieve her having difficulty with is JB's ego and need to be lead attorney. He may step down officially to a supportive role but as with the after-hearing presser... he just can't help himself. She is going to have to rein him in if she wants to add this case to her credentials with any kind of favorable light. jmo

Her biggest and most formidable task is to retrain JB, and teach him how to be a real lawyer, while pulling KC's brisket from the fire. :rolleyes: EVen Cindy gets it, so how come JB still doesn't understand? pressers = TMI

I think if anyone can, this woman is more than capable. Whether or not she will, is still unanswered. Does anyone know if the promised paperwork was actually faxed to the court as promised for her entry?

Her biggest challenge is not the Anthony's deportment, she is capable of bullying Cindy into silence. It's not in the animosity JB has created, once she supplants him , the court and SA will probably celebrate because they know how to deal with a real attorney who doesnt toss confetti at them expecting them to grab the pieces and refit them to make some kind of sense out of the resultant documentation.

it's not the facts or KC who present her greatest challenge. She's already got KC's number and can out manipulate even her to get the desired result. (if Ms. L. can control Cindy's behaviour, she can manage KC.) And facts are her stock in trade.

no... the only hurdle I percieve her having difficulty with is JB's ego and need to be lead attorney. He may step down officially to a supportive role but as with the after-hearing presser... he just can't help himself. She is going to have to rein him in if she wants to add this case to her credentials with any kind of favorable light. jmo

Her biggest and most formidable task is to retrain JB, and teach him how to be a real lawyer, while pulling KC's brisket from the fire. :rolleyes: EVen Cindy gets it, so how come JB still doesn't understand? pressers = TMI

Thank you! :clap:

I sincerely hope so.

Lord, I hope you're right. Does anyone know the logistic of the attorney protocol, now that AL is on board ? Will JB have to follow her advice & counsel? If, after she becomes familiar with all the statements of Casey, etc., and she decides that Casey should take a plea, will they have to follow her recommendations, or will she be out of there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member