Andrea Lyon New DP Atty

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No you are not the only one wondering why the need for these law students to be there in Orlando or the place of venue change if granted.

Since AL blogs, why doesn't she Skype like the rest of us? Besides, if I remember correctly, when JB was in court crying about not getting the crime scene photos, he was ordered to make his computers secure to coordinate with Dr. G's office. So we know he has the abilities to run a secure server.

THe last time I went to his website, the links did not work and hadn't worked for some time. Yet he can run a secure server. Baez needs tomeet Jackie Peterson - style vs. substance. He goes for style all the way.

THe last time I went to his website, the links did not work and hadn't worked for some time. Yet he can run a secure server. Baez needs tomeet Jackie Peterson - style vs. substance. He goes for style all the way.

Bold mine

Remind me--who's Jackie Peterson? The name's familiar, but I can't recall.

I am thinking that AL is a woman who thinks about 10 steps ahead. It might be that her geometric reasoning for bringing in the students is so that one bright day she is going to tell JB to sit down and hush, he is one of the students. If she is 19 for 19 she isn't going to lose #20 because JB likes to see his face on the tv screen.

I think Andrea Lyon joining the defense team is almost an admission that Casey IS guilty.

Lyon is know for saving her clients from the death penalty, is that correct? Not necessarily for getting them off for their crime, but for saving them from the death penalty.

To me, it seems as if Lyon is there because the team knows they can't defend Casey and win her freedom... that they have conceded defeat and are just trying to save her life.

Of course, you might just as easily say that of course they must be prepared for all possibilities including conviction and therefore have someone like Lyon on board early.

I think Andrea Lyon joining the defense team is almost an admission that Casey IS guilty.

Lyon is know for saving her clients from the death penalty, is that correct? Not necessarily for getting them off for their crime, but for saving them from the death penalty.

To me, it seems as if Lyon is there because the team knows they can't defend Casey and win her freedom... that they have conceded defeat and are just trying to save her life.

Of course, you might just as easily say that of course they must be prepared for all possibilities including conviction and therefore have someone like Lyon on board early.

I get the same impression. AL most likely took it because the timing will jive with her book release, and it's a high-profile case.

I agree with your assessment of Andrea Lyon's likely purpose in this case.

Her biography from the Depaul University web site references her DP experience as "She has defended more than 30 potential capital cases at the trial level and has taken 19 through penalty phase; she won all 19."

For 19 trials to be in the penalty phase, she clearly had 19 loses in the trial phase, resulting in murder convictions for each case. While no mention is made of the remaining 11 cases, I'm reasonably certain that any acquitals would have been included in her biography.

http://www.law.depaul.edu/faculty_st...tion.asp?id=29

I agree with your assessment of Andrea Lyon's likely purpose in this case.

Her biography from the Depaul University web site references her DP experience as "She has defended more than 30 potential capital cases at the trial level and has taken 19 through penalty phase; she won all 19."

For 19 trials to be in the penalty phase, she clearly had 19 loses in the trial phase, resulting in murder convictions for each case. While no mention is made of the remaining 11 cases, I'm reasonably certain that any acquitals would have been included in her biography.

http://www.law.depaul.edu/faculty_st...tion.asp?id=29

If AL feels integrity bound to explain this to her client, KC may fire her. I believe the reason she has been separated from family and friends is to keep her under the illusion that she will go to trial and the next day wake up in her own bed at home as if none of this had ever happened. She may consider any threat to this fantasy an unexceptable splash into reality that she is not ready to take.

Well, ostensibly Lenamon was there for the very same thing; his specialty is removing DP, not exonerating his clients. His original brief he gave the court in November, IIRC, that PPD and accidental death or some other mitigating mental factor should remove the DP from the table (and later his admitted disagreement with JB over that strategy) was probably why he did not return.

If AL wants to use some mitigating circumstance to overturn a DP conviction - and she has not convinced JB to use an indivdualized mental condition as a reason to remove it from penalty, then I'm assuming her best second bet would be to conjure up some sort of mental condition or state that was induced by others (some kind of PTSD or Stockholm syndrome variation of being raised by CA would be my guess). She tends to use environment as a mitigating factor I've read. That may also be something that would appeal to KC on quite a few levels.

Beans---I hope Al can appeal to KC somehow. I'm ready for the show to began. Am tired of the cartoons. (do they have cartoons at the movies now-a-days?)

If AL gets the DP off the table before the trial then we will have to put up with JB again cuz AL will go home---right?

Verité;3833993 said:
Bold mine

Remind me--who's Jackie Peterson? The name's familiar, but I can't recall.

Jackie Peterson = Scott Peterson's mother.

Those law students are excellent for researching the law. They don't necessarily have to attend the trial to do that. Can you imagine having that many fresh minds at your disposal?

If AL feels integrity bound to explain this to her client, KC may fire her. I believe the reason she has been separated from family and friends is to keep her under the illusion that she will go to trial and the next day wake up in her own bed at home as if none of this had ever happened. She may consider any threat to this fantasy an unexceptable splash into reality that she is not ready to take.

I completely agree. It seems to be a way for JB to have total control.The A's have said in interviews with LE that they didn't like JB [at least GA said it].
LA actually warned KC that JB may not have her best interest at heart. It will be interesting to see if there are any changes with AL on board.

Well, ostensibly Lenamon was there for the very same thing; his specialty is removing DP, not exonerating his clients. His original brief he gave the court in November, IIRC, that PPD and accidental death or some other mitigating mental factor should remove the DP from the table (and later his admitted disagreement with JB over that strategy) was probably why he did not return.

If AL wants to use some mitigating circumstance to overturn a DP conviction - and she has not convinced JB to use an indivdualized mental condition as a reason to remove it from penalty, then I'm assuming her best second bet would be to conjure up some sort of mental condition or state that was induced by others (some kind of PTSD or Stockholm syndrome variation of being raised by CA would be my guess). She tends to use environment as a mitigating factor I've read. That may also be something that would appeal to KC on quite a few levels.
That might appeal to JB also.I really think we will hear alot about the dysfunctional family at trial.They will either use it to explain why KC might commit such a crime OR they might just throw the A's under the bus and accuse them of killing Caylee.CA was last one seen ,for sure and they have lied and covered up the yazoo.They really pushed the Caylee is alive story and AL could use that to implicate the family.
If DP stays on the table how much of the defense is AL responcible for? Does she follow JB's lead?

That might appeal to JB also.I really think we will hear alot about the dysfunctional family at trial.They will either use it to explain why KC might commit such a crime OR they might just throw the A's under the bus and accuse them of killing Caylee.CA was last one seen ,for sure and they have lied and covered up the yazoo.They really pushed the Caylee is alive story and AL could use that to implicate the family.
If DP stays on the table how much of the defense is AL responcible for? Does she follow JB's lead?

Well several things she wrote indicate she is not just interested in the penalty phase that is for sure; and she is even less interested in SODDI stuff, imo. Perhaps because it does not maximize the opportunity to build a sympathy case from the outset. I'm sure it is a combination of what she is expected or responsible for within her representation parameters and if she can get KC deprogrammed enough to realize JB has put his own interests ahead of his client. Some of the legal minds on here have speculated she may refuse to work with him if he doesn't cooperate, but what attorney would want the extra work to have to be a ventriloquist, writing all of JBs words and motions for him to stand up and spout because he sure doesn't manage all that well on his own.

It's hard to know if KC's silence is due to her own stubborn agenda (she is CA's daughter) or some kind of Svengali-like sway JB seems to have created.

Well several things she wrote indicate she is not just interested in the penalty phase that is for sure; and she is even less interested in SODDI stuff, imo. Perhaps because it does not maximize the opportunity to build a sympathy case from the outset. I'm sure it is a combination of what she is expected or responsible for within her representation parameters and if she can get KC deprogrammed enough to realize JB has put his own interests ahead of his client. Some of the legal minds on here have speculated she may refuse to work with him if he doesn't cooperate, but what attorney would want the extra work to have to be a ventriloquist, writing all of JBs words and motions for him to stand up and spout because he sure doesn't manage all that well on his own.

It's hard to know if KC's silence is due to her own stubborn agenda (she is CA's daughter) or some kind of Svengali-like sway JB seems to have created.

You have addressed one of my questions better than I could have asked. I also have been wondering why qualified DP attorneys in Florida did not take her case. Was it because of JB, KC, the evidence or what? I know and understand why TL stepped down. Hope I have asked clearly.

I completely agree. It seems to be a way for JB to have total control.The A's have said in interviews with LE that they didn't like JB [at least GA said it].
LA actually warned KC that JB may not have her best interest at heart. It will be interesting to see if there are any changes with AL on board.

Ohh, that was all so very early on. Later on, they said that the only person whom they trust is their attorney and KC's attorney (JB). What their belief is now, on this very day,
after the addition of AL to the defense, who of us will be so bold as to second-guess the A's and go on record to the extent that we get a substantive opinion about what
the A's believe on 6-05-09? Not I!

Verité;3839097 said:
Ohh, that was all so very early on. Later on, they said that the only person whom they trust is their attorney and KC's attorney (JB). What their belief is now, on this very day,
after the addition of AL to the defense, who of us will be so bold as to second-guess the A's and go on record to the extent that we get a substantive opinion about what
the A's believe on 6-05-09? Not I!

That IS a gamble isn't it?:banghead: I would not venture their either.

One thing that I seem to be seeing with A.L. is that she won her cases, in that her clients did not get the death penalty, but she did not WIN them per se, because didn't all of those clients-at least the first 17 or 19-get LIFE? If that is the case, then I hope her winning streak continues and Miss Casey can sit there until she is old and gray and contemplate her baby that she destroyed for NOTHING. :furious:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1793578/casey_anthony_case_undefeated_death.html

If you skip to the very last paragraph it states this:
"Whether or not Lyon can continue winning life sentences remains to be seen."

So winning the cases is not necessarily winning the cases...right?

Thanks so much for this, magic-cat. I was struck by the statement in that article that says AL argues that DP costs more (than LWOP, I guess). Why?
Is it because it takes so long, with so many appeals, etc. or just what? Since the money issue interests me in the KC case, how can "they" justify this
argument (about cost of DP) when "they" are dragging out things so long before trial. I don't get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mwaggoner16