Anita Rose, 57, walking her dog, police investigating suspected murder, Brantham, Suffolk, 24th July 2024'

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In my initial post on Anita’s thread I brought up the question of leashed vs not because it seemed notable to me that a perpretator would attack her if she clearly has her dog by her side. Many a dog would attack and bite to defend their human, so the assaulter would get injured.

Did the attacker not know she was with her dog, because maybe Bruce was away from her at the time, exploring off-leash?

MOO
It’s a very good point. Why attack somebody with a dog which is likely to react badly. Maybe the dog was away from Anita or maybe there was a thought that it was so early in the morning any dog noise would not be heard by anybody.

Moo..it is a myth that your dog will protect you, that is unless it is human aggressive in the first place. Your dog may be guardy around your home or vehicle but on neutral territory, as in while on a walk dogs rarely will challenge a human.....moo

Such an odd and sad case. The location of her body, off her known route, is particularly curious.
Could she have tried to run from her assailant and been caught up with there?
Or was she moved against her will, either before or after sustaining the head injury? That might explain the missing jacket somewhat, as perps will often drag a person by their clothing, causing it to tear, fasteners to break and the garment to come off completely.

The deceased looks fit and youthful on the CCTV and I wonder if that may have been a factor in her attracting attention.

Total speculation: I can envision a scenario where a disturbed/sadistic young man spotted her walking past his house at an early hour, and decided to follow her with SA in mind. Only some time later, once he was directly upon his intended victim, does he realise that she was in fact older and perhaps did not meet his intended ideal profile for a victim (we know that many sex offenders have a specific fantasy or ‘type’ they prefer to victimise, with youth often being a factor in this).

As is typical, the offender lashes out in rage at being ‘thwarted’ or otherwise disappointed in his intent, which could explain the head and face injuries, robbery and lack of reported SA. It could also explains him not ‘finishing the job’ and still leaving her alive. The offender then flees the scene, discarding the jacket en route, and passing the phone on to friends/family to get it out of his possession once he realised his panicked mistake.

Phone is tracked to the person currently in possession, who says they got it from X. X is found to live on the walking route, have a relevant criminal history and/or be seen on CCTV also walking in the early hours some way behind the victim.

Enough to arrest, but not to charge. JMO and pure speculation based on what we have so far.
You bring up good questions. I have been assuming she first encountered the assailant where she was found, but perhaps something happened earlier? Was she hurrying away? Or, if she hadn't seen him earlier, did he see her and follow her or cut her off?

jmo

“So far, three people have been arrested and bailed in connection with the attack, including two on suspicion of murder and one on suspicion of handling stolen goods.

In a statement Suffolk Police said officers would continue to carry out inquiries in Brantham and the investigation was being treated as a "priority".”

How were the police able to locate the three that they arrested and let go on bail? They seemed to do so rather quickly, but it’s been four weeks and they’ve not been charged. Do you think they had the right persons who assaulted Anita?

What “key information or evidence to the investigation” could the pink jacket and phone case hold? By that, I mean, do they need those items in order to charge the suspects?

JMO

How were the police able to locate the three that they arrested and let go on bail? They seemed to do so rather quickly, but it’s been four weeks and they’ve not been charged. Do you think they had the right persons who assaulted Anita?

What “key information or evidence to the investigation” could the pink jacket and phone case hold? By that, I mean, do they need those items in order to charge the suspects?

JMO

I guess a phone's signal led Police to one of them.
This led to another and another still.

But as there is no strong evidence,
they are bailed till October.

Coroner didn't even give the cause of death.

JMO

Moo..it is a myth that your dog will protect you, that is unless it is human aggressive in the first place. Your dog may be guardy around your home or vehicle but on neutral territory, as in while on a walk dogs rarely will challenge a human.....moo

As was evident in the Julia James case.

• Sad
Reactions: nao
Such an odd and sad case. The location of her body, off her known route, is particularly curious.
Could she have tried to run from her assailant and been caught up with there?
Or was she moved against her will, either before or after sustaining the head injury? That might explain the missing jacket somewhat, as perps will often drag a person by their clothing, causing it to tear, fasteners to break and the garment to come off completely.
RSBM

In an article that was linked to up thread, it was said the police believed from phone data she had retraced her steps and gone back up Newmill Rd. The location where she was found was, I believe, on what would have been her normal route had she not gone back (possibly running from someone as you say). In light of that the location is indeed curious.

I think though, if she'd been dragged there would have been evidence of that on her other clothing/shoes.

Last edited:
RSBM

In an article that was linked to up thread, it was said the police believed from phone data she had retraced her steps and gone back up Newmill Rd. The location where she was found was, I believe, on what would have been her normal route had she not gone back (possibly running from someone as you say). In light of that the location is indeed curious.

I think though, if she'd been dragged there would have been evidence of that on her other clothing/shoes.
I believe this was superseded by a subsequent article that said police did initially think this, but have since updated her route. A member in this thread helpfully compared the two maps.
Perhaps I am misunderstanding, though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Heypig06
Back