Anthonys May Sue Over Merchandise being Sold

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/caylee-anthony/os-casey-anthony-trial-caylee-tradema20110517,0,5638136.story

So this is mostly over CafePress? Pfft, that's a custom content site that gives users discretion over the products they make- they totally release themselves of any liability as far as copyright, making it known early on when you try to make a shirt or something that the customer must own the rights to whatever they make and they aren't responsible. So, the As can try to hunt down the individual people who make things they don't like.. but... good luck with that. The most that will happen is products may get removed, but I'd be shocked if that even happened.

ETA all someone does is upload a jpg and someone can order a generic product with the picture on it, it's not "manufactured" for that purpose or anything, and so much goes through those kinds of sites that there is objectionable content made every day I'm sure. If anything you can be heartened that in general no one really ever sells anything on those sites, so whatever "profit" people are making may if they're really, really lucky be five dollars. Still gross, no arguments here, but no one's going to Hawaii anytime soon.

I think those selling Caylee stuff are disgusting.
If she were my grand daughter, I would sue too.

They have every right to do so.

JMO

I have ordered several things from CafePress.
If they are selling Caylee gear, I won't be shopping there again.

Disgusting way to make a buck.

JMO

So they can profit from Caylee's death, but no one else can. It's sick either way.

CA and GA really need to SIT DOWN and SHUT UP before they find their behinds in jail!!

How many headlines can we get that say "Anthonys may sue"? The DT, BC, on and on.

I think another thing that should be noted is the timing of this action. These threats to sue could have happened at anytime leading up to this. However the A's and their lawyer decided to do this right during the middle of jury selection. These actions could have taken place before hand when this case was stagnant, but they choose right now do it.

Hummm :waitasec::waitasec: I wonder why that is???

It's so transparent, it's almost sad.

This "stunt" isn't so much about keeping Caylee's name and likeness "sacred" as it is about the A's not being the ones to make $$$ off of it and assisting their daughter.

Of course they don't want tshirts that display the phrase "justice for Caylee" because they don't truly want Justice for her. They know true justice would mean that their daughter must remain behind bars for the remainder of her life. And that, well, is not something the A's want. Regardless if Casey killed her only child.

I honestly think the A's just need to stay out of the limelight and allow the chips to fall where they may. They haven't learned in all these years that they can no longer control everything. And that drives Cindy up the wall.

Our own WS members went to some of these locations and there were no coins, they did see plenty of hundred dollar bills tho.

I JUST YESTERDAY changed in my daughter's piggy bank for $32. And it was ALL coins!

Is this their way of Justice for their own flesh and blood? They never showed any support for Caylee, not one. They did however lie, time and time again to place blame in other places, to point fingers at other people. It's all about the money, always has been.

if they should win any of these lawsuits

i wonder, will they use the money to search for the killer of their grandaughter?
JMO

How many headlines can we get that say "Anthonys may sue"? The DT, BC, on and on.

And this is what, twice -- since jury selection?? They cannot just shut up and be quiet. They may not be attending jury selection, but they have to make sure to get their name out there. DISGUSTING.

Hummm :waitasec::waitasec: I wonder why that is???

It's so transparent, it's almost sad.

This "stunt" isn't so much about keeping Caylee's name and likeness "sacred" as it is about the A's not being the ones to make $$$ off of it and assisting their daughter.

Of course they don't want tshirts that display the phrase "justice for Caylee" because they don't truly want Justice for her. They know true justice would mean that their daughter must remain behind bars for the remainder of her life. And that, well, is not something the A's want. Regardless if Casey killed her only child.

I honestly think the A's just need to stay out of the limelight and allow the chips to fall where they may. They haven't learned in all these years that they can no longer control everything. And that drives Cindy up the wall.

This pretty much sums it up! Wonderful post! Thank you!
Imo, they cannot stop people from wearing an opinion or advertising for justice with one name of Caylee on a shirt. Are they going to sue over the Missing Caylee shirts as well? Sheesh! I hope when trial starts up, EVERYBODY on the outside wears some form of Justice For Caylee T-Shirts. :banghead:

I have always wondered this...Do all grandparents of murdered grandchildren get lawyers for no apparent reason during the investigation?
I have never followed a case before, but this always seemed odd to me.

(Keeping in mind that I'm not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV)

Doubt this is going to happen. In order to trademark, you have to have your lawyer go after each and every instance of the term/product being used. They have to do this if they want to trademark, otherwise they'll lose the trademark . You have to prove you want it bad enough. Seriously doubt the Anthony's have this kind of money.

As well, while celebritys (sp) trademark their names, it costs money to do. It is their business, how they make money so it's a little easier for them to do.

The Anthonys are just common folk. Don't see it happening here either. Again, their lawyer would have to go after every single instance of the name used.

I did a trademark search: nothing there that I can find:

http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/process/search/#heading-1

You cannot copyright a name.
In addition to your information above, I too have been keeping an eye on the uspto, just waiting for any application to show up. As of today, there has been NO applications for a trademark. The last time I checked, which was about 6 months ago, The Caylee Marie Anthony Foundation, Inc. web site was using a fraudulent Racol symbol. (®) It is a Federal crime to fraudulently display the Racol without having received approval for a trademark.

I appreciate your words and absolutely listened to them. I understand where you are coming from and I do not deny that you are right in many respects.

I have to disagree about the protestors - anyone can look at them and realize that they were there for their own amusement most of the time and they terrified their own children in the process.

My point is that Cindy and George are in incredible turmoil and it is not ending anytime soon. They have brought much upon themselves - no doubt. This trial has not even started and they are going to hear some horrible things.

I for one would be desolate if my grandchild was killed; Cindy was desolate about this and has reacted in a way that is much disliked.

The hate is enormous and it solves nothing. That is all I am saying. It solves nothing to hate her. And she is hated. She can't do anything without someone criticizing it. Now how can one person DO EVERYTHING WRONG in three years. Is it possible that something she has done does not warrant this - such as getting the name taken care of. IMO, that is what she is doing.

Why does she have to be torn apart with every move. I don't understand that. That is not compassion.

With all due respect, she does so everytime she opens her mouth. It is one thing to feel compassion for someone and another to enable them to continue their nonsense. For those who have attempted to show her compassion first hand CA spits back hateful statements. Ask TM, NM, BC, YM, JA etc., just to name a few. I truly think CA has problems along with her daughter. Most people can't get past that. It is what it is. jmo

Caylee never has belonged to them. How could they do this? What would happen in the future if God forbid another Caylee went missing and died. Then what? If they had the trademark for just the name alone, they'd be profitting in the future off of somebody else's possible tragedy. KWIM? Hope JB stops this.

I JUST YESTERDAY changed in my daughter's piggy bank for $32. And it was ALL coins!

My mom took us to Disney World and bought all new carpets with the $3000 she had in a 5 gallon water jug that was all coins. I don't believe, personally, that paying their lawyer was not a profit. If they hadn't gotten the money from the network, they would have had to come up with it from somewhere else and just because you didn't use the money on something fun does not mean that you didn't get it. When I have to use my whole check to pay the electric bill I don't say that I didn't get paid.

That said, and having not read the article, not all times when someone is suing are they getting money. Having not read the article, I am hoping that they are suing to have them stop. I just finished suing someone for a document. Hopefully this isn't about money, because then they would be committing the same moral sin that the people selling the items are committing.

Oh NO!!! We can't have anyone making money from exploiting Caylee except for them!!! Cindy does hold the Caylee Anthony registered trademark, ya know...**eyeroll**

Well said!!! It's ok for CA to MAKE MONEY from Caylee, but not anyone else. Hypocrite!!! JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back