GUILTY AR - Anne Pressly, 26, raped & murdered, Little Rock, 20 Oct 2008 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And one day Patti and Guy will be reunited there. I look at it this way, God called her home sooner because he had a job in heaven for her to do and needed her there.

I know what you mean. I guess I struggle with the half empty/half full way of seeing things... God called her home, or Satan made Vance kill her.

Each woman showed such great courage--Edwards by her strong determination to survive and thus live to testify and Anne, in her courageous battle to fend off her attacker. Patti Canady's recount (20/20) of finding her daughter broke my heart, she brought me to tears. The toll of damage, of senseless pain and anguish, heaped upon so many by one vicious person in the course of a cruel, violent frenzy is just staggering. As cheap as life is to offenders like Vance, it is just as precious to Anne and her family. Yes there was surely disparity between their upbringings and their lives but far too often we hear this used as an excuse. Most people make their opportunities--and there are also always those from the most hopeless, oppressive backgrounds who choose nevertheless to rise above those beginnings. So while we can be fairly assured this perp was never provided the same role models, stability, moral guidance nor educational opportunities as his victim undoubtedly was, this alone can never fully explain nor ever remotely justify his cowardly, heartless choices to victimize. JMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTSB View Post
Generally, rape is about control and domination rather than the actual sex act. Sometimes, it's also about violence.

rape is not about sex and is not a sex act. it can actually occur without "intercourse" as in rape with an object, etc.

Which is exactly what I said... Please read my original post above. And trust me, I am very well aware that sexual assault can occur with any number of items, with or without penetration, etc. The law is written to cover all forms of sex crimes. And yes, quite often they are referred to as 'sex acts' in case narrative.

Each woman showed such great courage--Edwards by her strong determination to survive and thus live to testify and Anne, in her courageous battle to fend off her attacker. Patti Canady's recount (20/20) of finding her daughter broke my heart, she brought me to tears. The toll of damage, of senseless pain and anguish, heaped upon so many by one vicious person in the course of a cruel, violent frenzy is just staggering. As cheap as life is to offenders like Vance, it is just as precious to Anne and her family. Yes there was surely disparity between their upbringings and their lives but far too often we hear this used as an excuse. Most people make their opportunities--and there are also always those from the most hopeless, oppressive backgrounds who choose nevertheless to rise above those beginnings. So while we can be fairly assured this perp was never provided the same role models, stability, moral guidance nor educational opportunities as his victim undoubtedly was, this alone can never fully explain nor ever remotely justify his cowardly, heartless choices to victimize. JMO

Hi everyone, I have read this thread for a while, and I am a Little Rock native. I want to thank everyone in this thread for being so compassionate and understanding about this tragedy.

Kiki, I completely agree with you- there is absolutely no excuse for what that monster has done- no excuse.
I know a handful of people from Marianna, one who is now in Med School, who grew up absolutely dirt poor- they have all managed to lead healthy productive lives.

There was a lengthy article about Vance in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette today. His girlfriend "Sheanika", called the cops on him for "slamming her head into a wall" b/c they were fighting over her wanting to drive his car.:eek:

Also, when she was arrested for pawning stolen property, she pointed the finger at Vance saying "Yeah I pawned it but he's the one stealing it" ... there were more accounts of his criminal activity listed as well (more theft, burglary).

Between this stuff and his known criminal activity, I don't understand why Marianna police weren't more aggressive with him... and why didn't they suspect him of the April rape BEFORE Little Rock detectives put the idea in their heads???

I hope Vance's attorneys don't go for an insanity plea- hopefully that won't be acceptable.

"It took seven months for the DNA evidence to be processed in the attack in Lee County. Seven months that Vance was out on the street.

The crime lab director says it takes on average five months for evidence to get processed here at the Arkansas State Crime Lab. But he says he doesn't believe the length of time it took to process a crime Vance is accused of this spring had any effect on what happened to Anne Pressly.

State Crime Lab Director Kermit Channell has already heard all the claims.

"If you didn't have a backlog then maybe this could have been prevented," Channell recounts.

FOX16 first reported it took seven months for the crime lab to process a sexual assault in Marianna and come up with DNA that matched evidence found at Pressly's home. The reason is a backlog of cases, preventing Vance from being arrested for seven months.

"The better you are as far as eliminating a backlog the chances of that happening become less likely," Channell admits.

Channell says the crime lab has eight DNA analysts, with four in training. Training takes up to a year. Processing physical evidence averages three months, DNA an average of two months.

"Our goal is within 30 days in every section,” Channell says. “We're not there yet, we're getting closer and closer but these things take time."

In Pressly's case the time to process DNA was a lot quicker because Channell says violent cases with no suspects get moved to the front.

“So if we have a case and we know that it’s very brutal and law enforcement doesn't know who the perpetrator is there's a risk to the community of someone at large," Channell says.

Marianna police told FOX16 News Friday they thought they had a suspect in their April attack. When crime lab results came back last week, DNA cleared their original suspect. Vance was then brought in as a possible suspect in some unsolved burglaries.

"I don't think that we could have done anything differently in this case or in another case that would have prevented something from occurring," Channell says.

The crime lab says it is not the people or money. It's receiving an additional $1.7 million a year in state funding since the 2005 legislative session. Channell says that money will help them continue to get to their goal of a 30 day turnaround for DNA cases.

Sargeant Carl McCree with the Marianna Police Department said he would not comment whether he thought the length of time it took to process his case played any role in keeping Vance from being caught earlier.

"The crime lab does a good job, the best it can do," McCree told FOX16 News Monday. "They handle cases all over the state in every county. I have no problems with the timeliness of how they handled our case here in Lee County."

McCree says they looked to Vance because of recent burglaries in Marianna and the arrest of his girlfriend, Shaemika Cooper, 25 in West Helena for pawning stolen items. McCree says there are no other unsolved sexual assaults he is investigating, but he is looking at Vance as a suspect in burglaries in which he was spotted in a home, but left without confronting the homeowner.

McCree added he spent most of the day with a New York crew from the ABC news magazine 20/20 on Monday for an upcoming episode featuring the Pressly case.

Pressly's parents Patti and Guy Cannady told NBC's Matt Lauer on The Today Show Monday morning they believe the KATV anchorwoman was sexually assaulted and that she broke her left hand trying to fight off her attacker."

For State crime lab director to deny that the inordinate length of time--seven months instead of the evidently more customary "mere" five--which it took lab to process the DNA for the Marianna (Edwards) crime last spring had any effect on what ensued w/ Anne Pressly is ludicrous. But to further state he is unable to see anything which could have been done differently to prevent the subsequent tragedy is totally disheartening. I cringe just to think of all that can transpire in even the requisite 30 day turnaround to which the lab aspires--much less the "standard" five month wait period considered commonplace for the processing of DNA. Seems Marianna police are in similar denial and complacency unable, or unwilling, to connect the dots. But I shudder at just how many others may have been either unwitting victims of Vance's stalking--or worse, outside of their county eg--over time. For starters, I suspect had Marianna LE taken seriously the domestic violence assault reported by his girlfriend (too seldom followed through on by victims, but also too often dismissed by LE) and heeded warning signals, they would have recognized Vance in a dangerous light for both his violence as well as his involvement in both burglaries and suspected home invasions--rather than writing him off as some petty thief linked solely w/ property crimes. JMO

http://www.cwarkansas.com/news/loca...s-in-Pressly-case/w31stYoXr0G-5cG2sksv4A.cspx

"In Pressly's case the time to process DNA was a lot quicker because Channell says violent cases with no suspects get moved to the front."

Do I misunderstand... or is the implication here by Channell that Kristen Edward's sexual assault eg in her home was somehow something less than violent? That someone has to die before they're given any priority? Omg I'm trying to give these guys the benefit of the doubt really I am, but they can't seem to see the writing on the wall, geeesh... JMO

I take it as meaning in AP's case... it was murder. No suspects. The only lead seemingly was the unknown DNA, so it got a rush. In the Marianna case, the case was not a murder so it was not on the same priority.

Im not saying that is right or not. Or that one kind of crime deserves more/less/faster/slower handling. but, for practical purposes, i can sort of see that being the case in a lab that has a backlog.

since Vances voluntary swab came AFTER both assaults, getting the info back from the Marianna case sooner probably woudnt have meant anything. it would have been unknown, just liek Annes.

And you arent swabbed for domestic, at least in Florida.

Hmm, what if Marianna police were far more aggressive about pursuing the April 08 rapist?

What if they put a lot more pressure on the crime lab, saying "Hey we really need a rush on this case- we have a rapist on the loose and we are also dealing with a lot of unsolved burglaries in the area- we're very concerned". They crime lab may have put a rush on the case then.

Why did it take Little Rock detectives to ponder "Who around Marianna is known for break-ins/robberies in the area???" ... and then the light bulb came on for Marianna police "Oh yeah, Curtis Vance!""

Why couldn't Marianna police have done that on their own- their town was the one experiencing rape and burglary/robbery .... and they have always suspected Vance of these crimes. It blows me away.

Sadly it seems like with LE they have to wait until stuff happens and then figure it out. they often arent the most proactive.

like when my car got broken into a long time ago. they took some fingerprints but said they dont bother to run them unless they catch someone actively breaking into cars. then they look to see if that guy matches any existing cases.

Hmm, what if Marianna police were far more aggressive about pursuing the April 08 rapist?

What if they put a lot more pressure on the crime lab, saying "Hey we really need a rush on this case- we have a rapist on the loose and we are also dealing with a lot of unsolved burglaries in the area- we're very concerned". They crime lab may have put a rush on the case then.

Why did it take Little Rock detectives to ponder "Who around Marianna is known for break-ins/robberies in the area???" ... and then the light bulb came on for Marianna police "Oh yeah, Curtis Vance!""

Why couldn't Marianna police have done that on their own- their town was the one experiencing rape and burglary/robbery .... and they have always suspected Vance of these crimes. It blows me away.

Kitten I am right there with you, feeling your frustration 100%. I didn't have my head knocked into a wall--but I did have it kicked in repeatedly after being dropkicked to the ground and if you ask me EVERY violent offender should be swabbed and entered into some sort of database... so when repeat crimes, escalating in violence, are committed by that same perp maybe LE won't have to sit around scratching their heads wondering gee... who could it have been THIS time all while an emboldened perp is out committing increasingly violent crimes right under their noses... ggrrr... JMO

:mad:

Kitten I am right there with you, feeling your frustration 100%. I didn't have my head knocked into a wall--but I did have it kicked in repeatedly after being dropkicked to the ground and if you ask me EVERY violent offender should be swabbed and entered into some sort of database... so when repeat crimes, escalating in violence, are committed by that same perp maybe LE won't have to sit around scratching their heads wondering gee... who could it have been THIS time all while an emboldened perp is out committing increasingly violent crimes right under their noses... ggrrr... JMO

:mad:

Marvelous idea- Im going to talk to a Legislator in AR about this tomorrow. Even if only some groundwork is done now, its better than the laws we presently have.

:blowkiss:

Good for you kitten. Crime I referred to was committed in OH, after which I moved to a different state. Not sure what the laws are here but need to know how I find out? Seizures and cognitive problems now make this sort of thing a bit more difficult, but not impossible; and you have inspired me :)

I think a DNA sample should be entered into someones criminal record along with fingerprints. Why not? Sure, fingerprints are a good method of ID'ing someone, and have been for over 100 years. But why not include DNA now?

I have seizures, memory problems and blindness now too from several assaults. I think only one person was ever caught.

The popular rumor in AR is that Jermaine Taylor, the famous boxer, was having an affair with Anne. It is also rumored that she was pregnant with his child and his dna was at the scene. I think this is the rumor LE is refferring to. It seems that he may have at least had a relationship with Anne, on some level, but only a rumor and unlikely that he and/or his wife hired Vance.

The popular rumor in AR is that Jermaine Taylor, the famous boxer, was having an affair with Anne. It is also rumored that she was pregnant with his child and his dna was at the scene. I think this is the rumor LE is refferring to. It seems that he may have at least had a relationship with Anne, on some level, but only a rumor and unlikely that he and/or his wife hired Vance.

Pregnant~ It will be interesting to see if that is true. If it were true, LE could prosecute for 2 murders instead of one. (ie: Scott, Lacy, Connor Peterson) However, I have to say, I doubt that Anne was pregnant w/ JT's child or anyone elses. jmo.

BTW~ Thanks Exfed for the info. and Welcome to WS.

Marvelous idea- Im going to talk to a Legislator in AR about this tomorrow. Even if only some groundwork is done now, its better than the laws we presently have.

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=75289&catid=2

The database collection change to arrests and not just convictions is already in the works.. and already has some opponents. I do feel it will pass eventually, though.

snip:

State Representative Dawn Creekmore has written a bill to change Arkansas' inmate DNA collection law.

"This bill will require DNA samples to be taken upon a felony arrest," says Creekmore.

Right now, Arkansas collects DNA only after a conviction. Creekmore says murders like Buskin's could be solved sooner if the state would only stop waiting for a conviction before getting a DNA sample.

"Taking DNA sample is just like taking a finger print it's not infringing on anyone's rights," says Creekmore.

Defense attorney Jeff Rosenzweig says this proposed law sets a dangerous precedence.

"DNA tells you so much more than a mere fingerprint," says Creekmore.

He's concerned innocent people's rights to privacy could be violated.

end snip

http://www.todaysthv.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=75289&catid=2

The database collection change to arrests and not just convictions is already in the works.. and already has some opponents. I do feel it will pass eventually, though.

snip:

State Representative Dawn Creekmore has written a bill to change Arkansas' inmate DNA collection law.

"This bill will require DNA samples to be taken upon a felony arrest," says Creekmore.

Right now, Arkansas collects DNA only after a conviction. Creekmore says murders like Buskin's could be solved sooner if the state would only stop waiting for a conviction before getting a DNA sample.

"Taking DNA sample is just like taking a finger print it's not infringing on anyone's rights," says Creekmore.

Defense attorney Jeff Rosenzweig says this proposed law sets a dangerous precedence.

"DNA tells you so much more than a mere fingerprint," says Creekmore.

He's concerned innocent people's rights to privacy could be violated.

end snip

Thank you, Im going to see what can be done by the community to support this...... so it can ultimately pass!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734