GUILTY AR - Beverly Carter, 49, Little Rock, 25 Sep 2014 - # 1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if it is "common" for a perp to send phony texts from a victim's phone?

I don't think I have ever followed a case where that, actually, happened. Though, it comes up often as a theory in the early stages of MP cases.
I don't think it happens all that often but it did happen in Samantha Koenig's case. I think when it does, it is to buy some time.

I can't believe they haven't been able to track down people she was in contact with by phone previous to her disappearing. Is there a chance that the cops have been unable to access her phone records due to it being the weekend or because they have to get a subpoena from a judge ?

Through one means or another, she would have HAD to have been in contact with her abductor. Even if this was a "customer" that she had shown a home to previously, and maybe she was the one that initiated the contact with said "customer", there has to be a record of it somewhere.

Maybe this happening on a Friday evening is why there seems to be a big lag in the electronics tracking side of things. They are out searching and what-not, because at this point, maybe that is all they can really do until all the legal stuff is arranged.

The Zillow listing for the foreclosure states that Seller is "Secretary of Veterans Affairs". What, if anything, could this mean, and why is this something that must be disclosed?
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/14202-Old-River-Dr-Scott-AR-72142/267986_zpid/

That just means that the loan was secured by the Veterans Administration, commonly known as a VA loan. If it had been a conventional loan, the Seller would be the name of the bank or mortgage company. When a veteran with a VA loan defaults, the VA pays it off and sells the home to recover as much of the loss as possible. Because the loan is guaranteed by the VA, the bank can make the original loan at a discounted rate because they know that they will be paid.

Nothing sinister there, just creative financing, and thank God for VA loans!! Without them, many family's would not be able to buy a home.

I am curious if this "unknown male" bought a cheap cell phone with prepaid minutes and called her up, gave her a phony name and set up an appt.

I thought the discussion we had was more to do with her frame of mind in so much because of her sterling reputation and her attire , that she might have felt comfortable with the person indicating they might have met before. Because she had scheduled more appointments afterwards I think that line of thought is moot also.

I think my comments might be the ones people find insensitive. I got off topic with others about appropriate business attire, and a discussion started about a pic posted of 3 runway models wearing suit jackets on top with mid thigh shorts. How could I be commenting on BC's attire when none of us have seen it??
I was stating my opinion about women dressing provocatively and expecting certain depraved types not to notice. I also said not all men behave as gentlemen. That is never going to change, no matter how much women are outraged by that fact. My message to women was to be careful of the kind of attention you are attracting. Apologies for getting off topic.

interesting that the house she was showing has been on the market almost 1500 days and was last sold in August 2010 which means it went back on the market very soon after... A long time for someone to see the property. I'm not a realtor but is there a centralized database at all?? Would be interesting to see if the same person(s) has gone to see the house numerous times? (to get the layout etc)... just a thought

interesting that the house she was showing has been on the market almost 1500 days and was last sold in August 2010 which means it went back on the market very soon after... A long time for someone to see the property. I'm not a realtor but is there a centralized database at all?? Would be interesting to see if the same person(s) has gone to see the house numerous times? (to get the layout etc)... just a thought

I find this thought interesting. I hope some of the real estate agents come along soon. I wonder if the local agents there know when was the last time it was shown, how often, etc. I wonder if there were other agent cards laying on the kitchen counter.

I think my comments might be the ones people find insensitive. I got off topic with others about appropriate business attire, and a discussion started about a pic posted of 3 runway models wearing suit jackets on top with mid thigh shorts. How could I be commenting on BC's attire when none of us have seen it??
I was stating my opinion about women dressing provocatively and expecting certain depraved types not to notice. I also said not all men behave as gentlemen. That is never going to change, no matter how much women are outraged by that fact. My message to women was to be careful of the kind of attention you are attracting. Apologies for getting off topic.

But, whatever happened to her, it certainly seems as if this was pre-planned. The perp. would have no way of knowing what attire she was going to show up in so it is highly likely this had zero to do with what she was wearing. If he was intent on harm, she could have shown up in a winter parka and the same outcome would have occurred.

Reasons why this case is sketchy and is probably going to get busted wide open quickly:

The husband doesn't ever mention calling her when he didn't find her in the house. Did he try her friends? Maybe she had a coworker pick her up for drinks..

The lockbox is gone. Obviously perp isn't versed on how they work and got prints all over them, subsequently creating the need to destroy the box (or cut it off in some way).

Husband got texts from her at 1am after she was reported missing with inaccurate statements (going to have drinks)..did he call the phone at that time? Did he immediately call the police to tell them that he got communication from her phone? From the police report, they began searching and securing the scene around 0047...so he got these texts from her at or around 1am and the police weren't told? If they were told, maybe they could've tried for a ping at that moment since the phone was being used. Why would a perp be so dumb as to text from an iPhone, knowing the tracking capabilities and the chance of texting inaccurate info? They wouldn't. They'd throw that phone as far as possible and as soon as possible. No one keeps evidence like that when they abduct someone. There have been cases of husbands being perps and sending "inaccurate" texts like this to solidify the idea that "oh she MUST be kidnapped, bc she doesn't drink."

He has access to her phone records...look and see who she talked to. Since her phone and iPad are synced, look for her location...Find My iPhone.

Family requesting blood hounds right out the gate, and husband hiring a helicopter...why be so sure she's dead?

The husband is very talkative about the details according to him, and seems to be making things up as he goes. Watch his interview again and notice these things.

Recent weight loss and improvements to her appearance (tanning and all that)...maybe she was seeing someone on the side, someone new, and husband found out.

I respect your point of view and have shared many of the same misgivings you have but NOT in this particular case.

This one hits me in the gut because I'm a Realtor, we are practically the same age, I've been married a long time, we have kids who are young adults and I to am a new(ish) gramma. I imagine that Beverly's everyday life is much like mine. I have been glued to this case since the news hit.

Having looked this one inside and out, I would be speechless ( a minor miracle) if her husband is involved. He is being pro-active from the get-go, doing everything that I would wish my hubby would do if this happened to me. Unfortunately, my H would probably drop the ball and not take it seriously until it was way too late.

By the way, anyone who wants to be a successful Realtor is never really off work unless we are sleeping or on a small island in the pacific with no wifi. No day can be expected to be routine because when a client calls, we respond. We show homes at all hours of the day and on weekends and holidays, I regularly do my grocery shopping during the work day and handle client calls from the frozen foods aisle, because I don't have whole days off on a regular schedule...you take personal time wherever you can grab it. At any given time I might be dressed to the nines on a Saturday or dressed for the grocery store during the week. When it's time to show, we go, and unless we are in a swimsuit, in the shower or covered in mud, we don't run home to change every time we get a call. I've shown homes in my Sunday best, in jeans and athletic shoes and yes, in very respectable, almost to the knee shorts and flat sandals.

I fully believe that Beverly got dressed that morning not having a clue what she would be doing at 5:30. She dressed for the weather, not a date.

As for what she carried with her in to the house, we have access to all of the information we need and can even take notes on our smartphones or tablets. There is no need to carry contracts or anything else in to the house except a business card, cell phone and car keys. (Beverly's car looks new so she might even have the keyless entry) We don't negotiate contracts in there, just show and leave.

Again, I respect your thoughts on this and I see where you are coming from, I just heartily disagree. :)

I am wondering if she had a briefcase, or something similar that she took with her, and left her purse in the car?
IMOO.

Good question regarding the briefcase...

maybe a realtor can help us out here...

assuming you would bring some paper work/files/etc. With you when showing houses... Do you bring notebooks or briefcases or ???

TIA...:seeya:

I can understand the request for blood hounds, I wish they had done that on Friday. The helicopter is a great idea! I would be very shocked if her husband is involved, I think he's doing all he can do to help find his wife.

I respect your point of view and have shared many of the same misgivings you have but NOT in this particular case.

This one hits me in the gut because I'm a Realtor, we are practically the same age, I've been married a long time, we have kids who are young adults and I to am a new(ish) gramma. I imagine that Beverly's everyday life is much like mine. I have been glued to this case since the news hit.

Having looked this one inside and out, I would be speechless ( a minor miracle) if her husband is involved. He is being pro-active from the get-go, doing everything that I would wish my hubby would do if this happened to me. Unfortunately, my H would probably drop the ball and not take it seriously until it was way too late.

By the way, anyone who wants to be a successful Realtor is never really off work unless we are sleeping or on a small island in the pacific with no wifi. No day can be expected to be routine because when a client calls, we respond. We show homes at all hours of the day and on weekends and holidays, I regularly do my grocery shopping during the work day and handle client calls from the frozen foods aisle, because I don't have whole days off on a regular schedule...you take personal time wherever you can grab it. At any given time I might be dressed to the nines on a Saturday or dressed for the grocery store during the week. When it's time to show, we go, and unless we are in a swimsuit, in the shower or covered in mud, we don't run home to change every time we get a call. I've shown homes in my Sunday best, in jeans and athletic shoes and yes, in very respectable, almost to the knee shorts and flat sandals.

I fully believe that Beverly got dressed that morning not having a clue what she would be doing at 5:30. She dressed for the weather, not a date.

As for what she carried with her in to the house, we have access to all of the information we need and can even take notes on our smartphones or tablets. There is no need to carry contracts or anything else in to the house except a business card, cell phone and car keys. (Beverly's car looks new so she might even have the keyless entry) We don't negotiate contracts in there, just show and leave.

Again, I respect your thoughts on this and I see where you are coming from, I just heartily disagree. :)
Thanks for your insight..

assuming you would bring some paper work/files/etc. With you when showing houses... Do you bring notebooks or briefcases or ???

When we just bought a house this past summer, the only thing our realtor carried around with him was his iPad and his phone. Presumably his car keys in his pocket.

When I was looking at houses with my sister last year, there was one house where the lock box that holds the key was not attached to the door, it was just off the side in the bushes. It's possible in this situation that it wasn't properly attached to the home to begin with.

When we just bought a house this past summer, the only thing our realtor carried around with him was his iPad and his phone. Presumably his car keys in his pocket.

Well since I have always tried to anticipate lots of questions & perhaps an offer on the property, I would always come prepared with a folder full of blank contracts & other necessary documents to expedite the sale & answer questions from gathered data....like comparable sales &/or listings in the area & their print outs. If there were supporting docs like previous inspections or disclosures, I'd provide that (if allowed).

Additionally, my purse, cellphone, & I-pad were always on me....I never left any of that in the car. I always left a note on my desk at the office or at home of who I was showing property to & never did it alone if I didn't know the person.

I wonder if it's a prudent idea to take a pic on your phone of the "customer's" license plate that you don't know as a realtor (& in front of the "customer") & send it to a trusted party stating it's your offices policy for safety issues----would that be a deterrent to a person with nefarious motives?

Yeah, but from the waist down, it's too much skin for business. This is not to say anything about BC's outfit,we haven't seen it... but how smart would it be to meet an unknown male in a vacant property showing that much leg? ** talking about the 3 runway models pictured upthread as looking professional**. It speaks volumes about the kind of attention you want. Assuming that all men are gentlemen is very naive.

I think that is a matter of opinion and the location. I agree shorts are't really considered professional, but they can be made to look classy with the right blouse, jewelry, sandals etc. Also, while this isn't FL, it is in the South where it is warm. I feel dressy shorts are perfectly fine paired with the right items. Longer shorts show no more skin than some dress skirts.

I could see myself dressing more casually if I knew the person....that being said, if I knew the person well, chances are my husband would at least be familiar with them. I would probably say something like "I am showing the Old River Road house to _____ at 5:30"

Well since I have always tried to anticipate lots of questions & perhaps an offer on the property, I would always come prepared with a folder full of blank contracts & other necessary documents to expedite the sale & answer questions from gathered data....like comparable sales &/or listings in the area & their print outs. If there were supporting docs like previous inspections or disclosures, I'd provide that (if allowed).

Additionally, my purse, cellphone, & I-pad were always on me....I never left any of that in the car. I always left a note on my desk at the office or at home of who I was showing property to & never did it alone if I didn't know the person.

I wonder if it's a prudent idea to take a pic on your phone of the "customer's" license plate that you don't know as a realtor (& in front of the "customer") & send it to a trusted party stating it's your offices policy for safety issues----would that be a deterrent to a person with nefarious motives?

BBM. That's a great idea. I've heard of people taking photos of service people arriving at their homes (and texting them to a friend/relative) just in case.....

This has probably been stated before, but there must be some kind of electronic trail from the person who got her out there. However it was that she was summoned to this showing, there must have been some kind of telephone call/text/email involved. Isn't that right?

Sorry to quote my own post...

But I see my question regarding notebooks/paperwork/etc. Was answered in the post just above mine...

seems no paper work is needed due to use of technological tablets/phones...

and showing houses require no contracts, etc...

:seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member