GUILTY AR - Beverly Carter, 49, Little Rock, 25 Sep 2014 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If anyone wants to watch the oral arguments to see what's there firsthand, the video archive is accessed from the following page:
https://courts.arkansas.gov/courts/supreme-court/oral-argument-videos/sc
From there, click on "Oral Argument" under CR-16-413, Arron Michael Lewis v. State of Arkansas, from Pulaski County Circuit Court which will give you a pop up that immediately opens to the archived video. It begins with a few case announcements and then goes straight to the argument, with the attorney for Lewis speaking first.

If you've never watched oral arguments before, here are a few tips for better understanding:
1 The oral argument is like the tip of the iceberg on an appeal.
2 The real crux of the decision will lie in points in the parties' case arguments (called "briefs") that may or may not be referenced in orals.
3 In orals, the briefs are already part of the equation. They don't have to be read or referenced and they still count just as much. They are the foundation and explanation of what you want the court to know, to rule, and why.
4 So in orals, each side will bring up certain points that it might want to emphasize, clarify, or elaborate on further from its briefs. And the judges can ask questions on what is said, or even on what is not said in orals but was in the brief from one side or the other.
5 You can't always tell what a judge is thinking from their questions, if it's a quick simple one. But when the judge strays into a lecture, like the gray-haired one did (as I mentioned earlier), then you get a better feel.
6 The overall tone of the orals really tells you nothing, because the final decision will be based on the opinion of 7 different judges, not on who seemed to be the best at arguing and answering in orals. And some judges say nothing.
7 Even with the ones who talk, sometimes the question will give the exact opposite impression than what the judge is thinking. For example, say you hear a judge ask ask the state "Arkansas has often extended rights, and the defense is arguing we do so here. Why shouldn't we just go ahead and do that?" On its face, it looks like the judge is trying to push against the state and in favor of the defense's argument. But the judge may be asking such a question either (a) to give the speaker a chance to persuade other judges of something they are already accepting from that speaker, or (b) to give help to the fashioning of how to best word the ruling in the final decision that will be used as precedent thenceforth (iow, the idea that "I'm going to be addressing this question later, so please tell me how you think the best way to answer it would be")
8 Anyone who claims they know who "won" the orals is fairly clueless, because questions and reactions have no meaning here apart from the bigger picture as noted above.
9 But from the orals, you can get a taste of the stances by each side.

My personal observation is that I didn't hear anything from the orals that surprised me or changed my previous summary and analysis.
* In the appeal, the defense is arguing for additional evidence to be excluded in this case. Part of their argument is that when LE makes an error, the state should change its laws and penalize LE to a greater degree than the US Supreme Court says is required, even though that has not been the law before (and the SC ruling that is being referenced was decided all the way back in 2004, so this really isn't new). The other part is that the state abused its subpoena powers (a subpoena is issued by a prosecutor) to get access to info for an investigation, when a warrant (issued by a judge) was required by law.
* In reply, the state says the current law is fine, and that rights of defendants have to be balanced with those of victims in deciding to discard proof of a crime. And regarding the evidence that the defense says needed a warrant and should be excluded because there wasn't one, the state replies that type of evidence NEVER needs a warrant. Their additional argument is that even if you tossed out some extra evidence in regards to Lewis case itself, the remaining evidence was so overwhelming that Lewis would still have been easily convicted.
* My personal opinion from both briefs and orals is that the state is more likely than not to prevail on the above, and that to the extent they lose on some of it, it's not likely to be seen as enough difference to lead to a new trial. But I don't know these judges and their tendencies, so who knows.
* In the cross-appeal, the state is arguing that some evidence was erroneously excluded, while the defense disagrees. Overlaying that is the issue of timeliness. My reading is that the issue needs clarification as to what the law says, regardless of timeliness, because of future cases in the system being impacted, and I think the state clearly has it right. So imo either the state wins outright (if timely) or they win with an asterisk (if not).

JMHO, When I am the only one posting any updates or stating opinons, and links to things. Actually only one mostly posting here. Posting same link I have "if anyone wants to watch the oral arguments to see what's there firsthand" and then continue to try and take digs at me, is rather foolish. Especially when it is very clear that has neither read/researched what is talking about in this case. To follow me from case to case just to try to start turmoil is both foolish and against TOS and warnings have been given. Have links to anything I state as truth ;)
I do not pretend to be an attorney on or off of Websleuths. I do not fill my post with lots of fluff and no links to back up my talk. I try to post with links what I have found. Not just vauge talk that could go either wayWhile it is helpful to have people explain various things, and we all can learn. It is not helpful when it is only in discord.
Again one members opinion is just as important than any other. It is telling to someone who has followed the case, and did research on what is spoken about. Even read the Briefs. To say that not surprised by anything in the orals is laughable. It also proves that prev summary and analysis was made only out of distain for this member and not to be helpful to other.
The Appeal is automatic because it was LIFE/LWOP. If one were to actually read the Appeal Brief of AL, and the Reply of the State... one would see that
The Patane issue while it was decided in 2004 and true "really isn't new", it is for THIS COURT. Thus the FIRST IMPRESSION. IIRC it was Judge Wright who first brought it up as to why he was not suppressing the RECORDING that is non testimonial evidence played in the illegal interrogation. So to state that part of the Def/Appellant arguement is "when LE make an error, the state should change its lawas and penalize LE to a greater degree than US Supreme Court says is required" hasn't taken the time to read and comprehend what is about. No matter whom the Def is has the right to the same appeal. Especially when Patane was the case law that the Judge used to not suppress it at trial.
"The other part is that the state abused its subpoena powers". That is correct. Again all one would have to do is read the Briefs to understand that is what happened. The trial Judge even stated the same thing 12/8/15 order. Guess one would have to again read the Brief and listen to the Orals to understand that Def is not stating he has standing to challenge the Statutoral violation. Clearly it is lost on someone the clear violation of using prosecutors subpoenas could be the potential alone to get a new trial for Lewis. The PROS SUBPOENAS are what led them to Lowery then to stake out her home and follow Lewis. IF they get supressed because of the violation, then the State will loose any evidence about Lewis, other than Lowery testimony, Walmart video and his "affidavit he posted, exhibit 47. <Which I noticed that Lewis fb has been deactivated. Good. Also the fact that LEO seen AL**sidenote, what we the public and members of WS could not figure out is if they knew who Lewis was they messed up because they could have gotten a hold on him for a parole violation at the accident stop. And the car was registered in his name through property assement, not to Lowery as the documents state. JMHO that is why they didn't know to get a hold on him. His DL and registration led to the same address** I personally would hate for the family to go through that again. As a resident of the Great State of Arkansas and knowing it could be myself or anyone I know this potentially happen to I will follow to see what the out come is and pray for the correct ruling from the SC. I have faith in the Justice system. I also expect for LEO to go by the law. They made many careless mistakes in this case. It did not help anyone.
No, I do not pretend to know who "won" the orals, but neither am I "fairly clueless". I based my opinion on the arguments presented, all the while knowing what was stated in BOTH SIDES Briefs. Again I do not pretend/allege I am a lawyer on WS or in the real world. I am just someone who enjory to learn and dig trying to understand what I am reading and provide links to others. I was told multiple time by same person trying to dis me here that I did not know what I was talking about on another case thread about potential sealed subpoenas. I was just going by the Texas Statute. July 1 2016 I was proven correct. Only links ever provided as backup by trying who keeps trying to poke are 2 links I have provided to start with. 1 here and 1 there. I stand by my opinion and the links that back them up.

7 Justices listened I could be wrong, but don't think Justice Kemp or Justice Baker asked any questions.
Justices Wood, Goodson, Womack, Wynne and Hart asked questions.

Should be interesting to read their Opinion. JMHO

Link to the Arkansas Supreme Court Justices https://courts.arkansas.gov/courts/supreme-court/justices

Justice Wood is who asked multiple questions or comments. One was re the prosecutor subpoena use. She asked"If there is a violation, is there a remedy for it?" Solicitor General Nicholas Bronni answer was "no not in this case" "I think there is for a party whose rights are violated objected. If ATT or Google or if they tried to get content..."

Associate Justice Rhonda K. Wood, Position 7 https://courts.arkansas.gov/courts/supreme-court/justices/justice-rhonda-wood-position-7
Date Elected or Appointed to Current Position: 2014
Education:
B.A. magna *advertiser censored* laude, with distinction in Politics, Hendrix College; J.D., UALR Bowen School of Law, highest honors, 1999
Law-Related Employment:
Hearing Officer, Conway Housing Authority
Law Practice or Teaching Areas:
Wood Law Firm (Conway); Williams & Anderson PLC (Little Rock); Focus: appellate law, health law, and business law; practiced in Arkansas federal trial and appellate courts. Assistant Dean, UALR Bowen School of Law. Focus: student admissions, teaching health law and business law, founding the externship program, coaching Moot Court; Certified Faculty, National Center for State Courts; Frequent lecturer and presenter for Arkansas Bar Association, Arkansas Association of Women Lawyers, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Arkansas Administrative Office of the Courts, local county bar associations, community organizations.
Prior Judicial Experience:
Circuit Judge, 20th Judicial District, 2007-2012; Arkansas Court of Appeals Judge, 2013-2014.
Associations:
Arkansas Judicial Council. Committee for Education, Committee for Long-Range Planning, Committee for Racial and Gender Equality, and Committee for Juvenile Drug Court(Co-Chair); Arkansas Bar Association. Committee for Health Law (Co-Chair), Committee for Find-a-Lawyer (Chair); Law School Committee six-year delegate to the Arkansas Bar Association, and Legislative Liaison for Health Law; Faulkner County Bar Association.
Publications:
Contributor, Arkansas Bar Association, HIPAA Preemption Analysis for the State of Arkansas (2003); Contributor, Arkansas Bar Association, Arkansas Public Health Bench Book (2009).
Awards:
Arkansas Woman Law Graduate of the Year; Arkansas Bar Association Outstanding Service Award, Recipient (five-time): Best Continuing Legal Education Presentation, by Arkansas Bar Association; Arkansas Elected Official of the Year, by Arkansas Federation of Business and Professional Women; Community Leader of the Year, by Conway Rotary Club.
Other:
Top Score on the Arkansas Bar Examination; Founding Board Member, Conway Interfaith Clinic; Arkansas Business&#8217;s &#8220;Forty Under Forty.&#8221;

Justice Hart (gray haired lady as she has been referenced) is the one who asked the Solicitor General Nicholas Bronni, "how does the application harmless error keep the LEO from taking advantage of people... why we have Miranda Rights..." Had to state her question twice.

Associate Justice Josephine L. Hart, Position 4 https://courts.arkansas.gov/courts/...associate-justice-josephine-l-hart-position-4
Date Elected or Appointed to Current Position:
Education:
Arkansas Tech University, B.A.; University of Arkansas School of Law, J.D.; Judge Advocates General School, Charlottesville, Virginia; Civil Affairs School, Fort Gordon, Georgia; Command and General Staff, Fort Leavenworth, Kansas.
Law-Related Employment:
Law clerk for Justice Frank Holt of the Arkansas Supreme Court; Assistant Judge Advocate General; Twenty-six years with Gregg, Hart, and Farris in Batesville, Arkansas; Legal Adviser to the 306 Civil Affairs Group; Assistant Staff Judge Advocate; Commander, 32nd JAG.
Prior Judicial Experience:
Special Chief Justice, Arkansas Supreme Court; Special Justice, Arkansas Supreme Court.
Associations:
American Bar Association; Arkansas Bar Association; Independence County Bar Association; American Veterans (Post 7); American Legion (Post 43); Mountain View, Arkansas, Chamber of Commerce; Board of Directors of the Mountain View General Hospital.
Publications:
Josephine Linker, Casenote, Taxation&#8212;Capital Gains&#8212;Exchange of &#8220;Like Kind&#8221; Property, 24 Ark. L. Rev. 142 (1970). Judge Josephine Linker Hart & Guilford M. Dudley, Available Post-Trial Relief After a State Criminal Conviction When Newly Discovered Evidence Establishes &#8220;Actual Innocence,&#8221; 22 U. Ark. Little Rock L. Rev. 629 (2000). Judge Josephine Linker Hart & Guilford M. Dudley, The Unpublished Rules of the Arkansas Court of Appeals: The Internal Rules and Procedures of the Arkansas Court of Appeals, 33 U. Ark. Little Rock L. Rev. 109 (2011).
Other:
Military Service: Active Duty: Assistant Adjutant General, United States Army-Japan; Military Service: Reserves: Colonel, Judge Advocates Corp. Member, Arkansas Law Review; Past Chairman, Arkansas Board of Bar Examiners; Member, Legislative Committee of the Arkansas Bar Association; Member, Scribes&#8211;The American Society of Legal Writers.

Under PATANE, which is what trial court Judge Wright used to allow the RECORDING, and because it has not been heard in an Arkansas Appeal court, it was a First Impression. Per the Def, the Court needs to make a ruling on it. State says they don't have to.that phone was secured legally under another Rule. But that Rule is not what the Judge used to allow the RECORDING.

Under PATANE testimonial statement was suppressed (cant use) Allowed evidence of non testimonial still be used even though it was gotten illegally.

This is on Appeal from Lewis re the RECORDING on Lewis phone, that he played in the illegal interrogation. The illegal interrogation was suppressed, but not the non testimonial RECORDING on phone. State in Oral Argument contends that Harmless Error should apply in this case.

Solicitor General Bronni stated " suppression of derivative evidence cost more to public and crime prevention than the benefits"

Def Attorney Kaiser: Deterrent effect it would provide non testimonial fruit from illegal interrogation should be excluded. Allowing derivative evidence would give LEO incentive to violate rights of accused to secure conviction

Derivative Evidence
Facts, information, or physical objects that tend to prove an issue in a criminal prosecution but which are excluded from consideration by the trier of fact because they were learned directly from information illegally obtained in violation of the constitutional guarantee against unreasonable searches and seizures.

Derivative evidence is inadmissible as proof because of the application of the Fruit of the Poisonous Tree doctrine, which treats the original evidence and any evidence derived from it as tainted because of the illegal way in which it was obtained by agents of the government. http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Derivative+Evidence

Harmless Error
An error by a judge in the conduct of a trial that an appellate court finds was not damaging enough to the appealing party's right to a fair trial to justify reversing the judgment. Harmless errors include technical errors that have no bearing on the outcome of the trial, and an error that was corrected (such as mistakenly allowing testimony to be heard, but then ordering it stricken and admonishing the jury to ignore it). In general, the more overwhelming the evidence against the appealing party (appellant), the harder it will be to convince the appellate court that any errors were harmful. In such situations, courts rule that even in the absence of the errors, the appellant could not have won. https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/harmless_error

JMHO but this Solicitor General blew it.
For 1, he did not know make any sense to what he was talking about when argued about the Pros Subpoenas. He even said, "violation of statute might be, but he didn't think there was and he would explain" One of the Justices asked him "if there is a violation, what is the remedy?" He replied "in this case no remedy"

He said that "factual, no abuse that PCSO didn't use a pros subpoena to get phone numbers or records." Stated that the Def is getting their information from Records # (R365) (R546) (R549) (R631) and Exhibit # 2455 < page 77/96 Google doc dated 10/17/14a lso that had to do with getting ip address https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i.../contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/imaging/IMAGES/DMS and the Solicitor General said it because of the RE: Subpoena dated 10/3/14. *we do not have copies of the exigent circumstances request to Google , or the testimony in the briefs, but I have in my notes and also it is in Judge Wright Order 12/9/14.

When Def Attorney got up on rebuttal, one of the Justices asked him his response the the State on the pros subpoena. Mr Kaiser stated that that was the first time he had ever heard of that claim. Not in any Brief, or brought up in any court and that he stands by his Brief.

I knew Michael Kaiser was new to the case, as Lee Short, the orig co counsel at trial, had left and stared his own law firm (per a motion for a time extension request filed in the case). It appeared to me that this was his first time before the ASC. I did not know who was going to do the actual arguing at the oral argument. You could tell he was nervous but he knew his case.

Solicitor General Nicholas Bronni was also very nervous. Kept messing with the mic, touching his chest/tie. Was clearly reading from his notes. Looking up then down to read. He also did not know his case fully. He sited things that were not factual as he portrayed them. The Briefs and testimony prove it. Even the States own Briefs. Looking at cases that are listed on the majority of courts linked together, I only find Bronni on this case and then cases referenced to a death row inmate and cases about the drugs in execution those were recent. I did not look to see how much he worked on those but there are multiple attorneys on all those type cases as there are on this one.

JMHO where the Exhibit #2455 came up was in the Def reply Brief, but in the STATES OWN BRIEF and the Judges 12/9/15 Order that the PCSO used Pros Subpoenas to get the exigent circumstances records. Yes they do not have to have them, LEO can get them without but testimony states that they did use them. Sept 25, not 10/3/14

Docket page running slow to get that link ^^. But just a sidenote/thought. CL plead Guilty for a 30 yr sentence. She is where she need to be for the murder.

Having said that, her Public Defender Brett Qualls had to have had the same discovery as AL counsel did. The first and then Bill James. CL PD would have known they used pros subpoenas to get info that lead to CL, and then to put surveillance on her home . Qualls is a long time Public Defender, and having that discovery would/should have know that is a violation of Statute. Probably has too large of a case load but I would be upset if it were me. (But then I not a murderer)

Since I don't play a lawyer on WS or pretend in real life, not sure she could say ineffective counsel now. She plea, then testified. Hindsight on the outcome of this Appeal I bet she wished she had spoken to Lewis attorneys prior to trial. I still fully believe she played a bigger role in this horrible murder case.
JMHO

ArMi, if any of what you just said was aimed at me, you are wrong in most of it. To be specific ....
1 In this case, I have personally read the briefs, and watched every minute of the orals, and have a great grasp on them imo,
2 In general, my purpose here is to comment on the case as I follow it, and offer info to others who might want to hear it, and I continue to do so because I have been told many times that my contribution is appreciated and helpful,
3 I feel that my "life experience" is able to provide a helpful understanding and explanation on these events as they transpire, so I share my IMO observations and reactions to what I see and read, focusing on broader explanations, not on terms and details that imo are not as important as the bigger picture of what we're seeing,
4 As a general rule, I do not address you at all in my posts, and way more often than not I don't comment on what you say, even when I think your points of emphasis or conclusions are off base. You can certainly give your opinion on what you think you might be seeing, and it's not up to me to correct your work when amiss. My observations are simply for the purposes of helping clarify or amplify, when imo I feel it might be needed or helpful for one reason or another.

As far as your repeated assertions that I told you something oh-so-wrong in another discussion, that is not correct (you misunderstand, then and now, the legal distinction I was sharing at the time), but because it is completely irrelevant to this case and a disagreement that occurred almost a year ago, that is not a discussion worth continuing anyhow. Ultimately, if you want to THINK I was incorrect, that's up to you; but it's inappropriate to keep diverting threads away from cases into personal attacks as you keep doing, so I would ask that if you don't like me, that you scroll-and-roll or whatever. Onward.

I knew Michael Kaiser was new to the case, as Lee Short, the orig co counsel at trial, had left and stared his own law firm (per a motion for a time extension request filed in the case). It appeared to me that this was his first time before the ASC. I did not know who was going to do the actual arguing at the oral argument. You could tell he was nervous but he knew his case.

Solicitor General Nicholas Bronni was also very nervous. Kept messing with the mic, touching his chest/tie. Was clearly reading from his notes. Looking up then down to read. He also did not know his case fully. He sited things that were not factual as he portrayed them. The Briefs and testimony prove it. Even the States own Briefs. Looking at cases that are listed on the majority of courts linked together, I only find Bronni on this case and then cases referenced to a death row inmate and cases about the drugs in execution those were recent. I did not look to see how much he worked on those but there are multiple attorneys on all those type cases as there are on this one.

JMHO where the Exhibit #2455 came up was in the Def reply Brief, but in the STATES OWN BRIEF and the Judges 12/9/15 Order that the PCSO used Pros Subpoenas to get the exigent circumstances records. Yes they do not have to have them, LEO can get them without but testimony states that they did use them. Sept 25, not 10/3/14
JMHO as to what Solicitor General was stating as "a fact that he hopes no one over looks"of but makes no sense

Def REPLY to the State Cross Appeal
2/16/2017
02:11 PM REPLY BRIEF KAISER, MICHAEL KIEL
Entry: Appellant's Reply/Cross-Appellee Brief efiled by attorney. Paper copies received 2/13/17.
Images Reply brief

Page 15/34 https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i.../contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/imaging/IMAGES/DMS

The circuit court clearly erred by denying Lewis’s motion to suppress evidence resulting from the illegal use of prosecutor’s subpoenas. The State makes no attempt—at either the trial level or on appeal—to argue that the use of prosecutor’s subpoena power to aid law enforcement’s investigation was lawful in this case, and rightly so. This case involved an obvious abuse of the prosecutor’s subpoena power under Ark. Code Ann. § 16-43-212. Using a prosecutor’s subpoena, officers tied the TextMe account to Lewis’s wife Crystal Lowery. (Ab. 3; R. 549, 582). Google even released records to Investigator Michael Hendrix of the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office specifically, rather than a member of the prosecuting attorney’s office, noting that the records were issued “[p]ursuant to the Subpoena issued in the above-referenced matter”. (Add. 243; R. 2455). Instead, the State points only to Lewis’s lack of standing to challenge this abuse. Appellee’s Brief at 16-17

In an early case involving the illegal use of the prosecutor’s subpoena power where the defendant lacked standing, the Arkansas Court of Appeals noted. This opinion obviously could have been terser. We have dwelt upon the
illegal use of the subpoena power because we regard the matter as very serious, and we hope we will never again have before us a case in which that
power is so abused.

This is continued ^^ but almost completely verbatim from Kaiser Oral Argument.

Duckett v. State, 268 Ark. 687, 692, 600 S.W.2d 18, 21 (1980). Unfortunately, Arkansas courts have dealt with similar abuses in multiple cases since Duckett. See Cook v. State, 274 Ark. 244, 623 S.W.2d 820 (1981); Foster v. State, 285 Ark. 363, 687 S.W.2d 829 (1985); State v. Hamzy, 288 Ark. 561, 709 S.W.2d 397 (1986); State v. Shepherd, 303 Ark. 447, 798 S.W.2d 45 (1990); Stephens v. State, 98 Ark. App. 196, 254 S.W.3d 1 (2007). Clearly, the Court was concerned about a pattern of abuse of this power, and it now appears that such a pattern exists. It is high time for this Court to issue the “terser” opinion regarding abuse of the prosecutor’s subpoena power referred to in Duckett, 268 Ark. at 692, 600 S.W.2d at 21.

If the State’s argument that Lewis lacks standing prevails, then there can never be a remedy in a situation such as this or the one in Hamzy. Abuse of the prosecutorial subpoena power will continue to go unquestioned and unpunished. Prosecutors will be incentivized to abuse their subpoena power in this way knowing that the fruit of such abuses will never be suppressed. When law enforcement is investigating a missing person, prosecutors will know they can illegally subpoena that person’s records for the law enforcement investigation without any harm to their subsequent case if and when charges are later filed. The rule forbidding such abuse will thus have no remedy under Arkansas law. Given its concern for this sort of abuse becoming systemic, this Court should suppress the results of such abuse so that it will not continue to occur in the future, regardless of standing. https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i.../contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/imaging/IMAGES/DMS

12/15/2016
02:18 PM APPELLEE'S BRIEF STATE OF ARKANSAS,
Entry: Appellee's Brief Cross Appellant's Brief
Images Appellee's Brief Cross Aplt's https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i.../contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/imaging/IMAGES/DMS

Page45/99 and 46/99

III. THE CIRCUIT COURT DID NOT ERR BY REJECTING
APPELLANT&#8217;S CHALLENGE TO THE USE OF PROSECUTOR&#8217;S
SUBPOENAS.

Appellant argues that the circuit court erred by refusing to suppress evidence resulting from prosecutor&#8217;s subpoenas. Investigator Michael Hendrix prepared those subpoenas for Yahoo, Google, and AT&T to obtain the call log associated with the &#8220;spoof number&#8221; used to contact Carter. (Ab. 3, 122; R. 549, 851). Citing State v. Hamzy, 288 Ark. 561, 709 S.W.2d 397 (1986), Appellant argued below that police officers are unauthorized to issue prosecutor subpoenas. (Add. 18; R.
223). The court found that Appellant &#8220;omit[ed] the actual holding of the case. Hamzy held that, prosecutorial misconduct aside, a defendant had no legitimate expectation of privacy in his telephone records&#8221; and thus has no standing under the Fourth Amendment to challenge the subpoenas or phone records obtained. (Add. 68; R. 366). On appeal, Appellant makes the same argument he did below, but ignores the finding that he lacked standing to challenge the subpoenas or phone
records obtained therefrom.

12/15/2016
Images Appellee's Brief Cross Aplt's https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i.../contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/imaging/IMAGES/DMS

Page45/99 and 46/99

III. THE CIRCUIT COURT DID NOT ERR BY REJECTING
APPELLANT&#8217;S CHALLENGE TO THE USE OF PROSECUTOR&#8217;S
SUBPOENAS.

Appellant argues that the circuit court erred by refusing to suppress evidence resulting from prosecutor&#8217;s subpoenas. Investigator Michael Hendrix prepared those subpoenas for Yahoo, Google, and AT&T to obtain the call log associated with the &#8220;spoof number&#8221; used to contact Carter. (Ab. 3, 122; R. 549, 851). Citing State v. Hamzy, 288 Ark. 561, 709 S.W.2d 397 (1986), Appellant argued below that police officers are unauthorized to issue prosecutor subpoenas. (Add. 18; R.
223). The court found that Appellant &#8220;omit[ed] the actual holding of the case. Hamzy held that, prosecutorial misconduct aside, a defendant had no legitimate expectation of privacy in his telephone records&#8221; and thus has no standing under the Fourth Amendment to challenge the subpoenas or phone records obtained. (Add. 68; R. 366). On appeal, Appellant makes the same argument he did below, but ignores the finding that he lacked standing to challenge the subpoenas or phone
records obtained therefrom.

Referenced ^
pg 26/558
DIRECT EXAMINTATION OF MICHAEL HENDRIX BY MISS MARIANI
(545) My name is Michael Hendrix. I work for the Arkansas AttorneyGeneral&#8217;s Office, Special Investigations Division. Previously I worked for thePulaski County Sheriff&#8217;s Office, Criminal Investigations Division. I was involvedin tracking the phone calls and texts to Mrs. Carter&#8217;s phone. Her phone was recovered from Mr. Lewis&#8217;s residence on Randall Road

pg 27/558 (AB 3 122 R 549)
We obtained Mrs. Carter&#8217;s cellphone records through AT&T via an exigent
circumstances request. Among the numbers she had been in contact with was the
number 914-206-1776, which we could not trace to any known contact. (547) We
had record of a call that lasted 5 minutes between that number and Mrs. Carter&#8217;s
phone. There were additional calls.
(548) Further research determined that the 914 number was connected to the
TextMe app that allows a user to send and receive text messages under andassigned &#8220;spoof number.&#8221; (549) I got an exigent-circumstances request to TextMeto determine the number associated with the 914 number. We determined that the
number was connected to Crystal Lowry&#8217;s actual phone number, 501-687-3833. (550) We determined that Crystal Lowry lived on 165 Randall Road and that she is married to Aaron Lewis. (551) They both lived at the residence.

Page 27/558
CROSS EXAMINATION OF MICHAEL HENDRIX BY MR. JAMES

(551) Nothing indicates the nature of the relationship between the two numbers before the two days before the incident of the kidnapping which our records extended to include. (552) We determined that the TextMe account was set up under the email
address, Justin420@yahoo.com, and that the email address was tied to Aaron Lewis. (553) We resolved that the number the TextMe account was registered to was not Lewis&#8217;s, rather it was connected to Crystal Lowry&#8217;s phone number and that the account was registered in her name. (554) No two phone numbers can be registered to the same account because the account is attached to a specific phone number.

12/15/2016
Images Appellee's Brief Cross Aplt's

States Argument bottom page 32/99 and top of 33/99 https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i.../contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/imaging/IMAGES/DMS

Carter was reported missing by her husband on September 25, 2014. (R.537-38). When she did not return home late that evening from showing a house inScott, he became concerned, drove there, and found her locked vehicle in the driveway with her purse inside. (R. 538). Carter&#8217;s phone records showed that she had been in frequent contact with a number not assigned to a contact in her phone. That number was a &#8220;spoof number&#8221; created by the Google application &#8220;Text Me.&#8221; (Ab. 2-3; R. 540-42, 548-49). Using a prosecutor&#8217;s subpoena, officers tied the Text Me account to Appellant&#8217;s wife, Crystal Lowery. (Ab. 3; R. 549, 582).

The PCSO began surveillance on Lowery&#8217;s residence.
(Ab. 4-5; R. 557-58). On September 28, 2014, Lieutenant Mark Swaggerty observed a man later identified as Appellant leave the residence in a black car. (Ab. 5, 218; R. 558, 560,
1679). Because Appellant and his vehicle matched the descriptions of a man and vehicle seen at the house in Scott the day Carter went missing, Swaggerty followed him. (R. 558-59). Minutes later, Swaggerty saw Appellant&#8217;s car wrecked, and
Appellant climbing out of it. https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i.../contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/imaging/IMAGES/DMS

Also Judge Wright 12/9/15 Order page 459 & 460/558 of the Def Appeal as an exhibit

The Defendant seeks to have this Court suppress any evidence obtained by subpoenas issued in this case to phone and IT companies. Investigator Jeff Allison of the Pulaski County Sheriff s Department - Criminal Investigative Division testified at the omnibus hearing that, after the disappearance of Beverly Carter had been reported, they made an exigent circumstance
request to AT&T to procure her cell phone and SMS data records. Once they had access to those records, they noticed that the victim had recently been in frequent contact - both phone calls and text messages - with a phone number with a New York area code. Having access to the victim's Apple iCloud account, they noticed that this
phone number was one of the few in her call history not identified with a known associate. The investigators discovered that this same phone number was written on an envelope in the victim's car. one of the investigators called the number and discovered it was "spoof number" associated with a Google app called TextMe. They then, with the aid of prosecutors, made an exigent circumstances request to Google to obtain the call log of the TextMe number. They were able to thereby determine that the phone number was created by an account of the Defendant's wife, Crystal Lowery' The Defendant has alleged that the information received by the investigators in this
manner should be suppressed as an oveffeach of the prosecutor's subpoena power. The Defense is right that the prosecutor has no power to issue subpoenas in a criminal investigation. The Court, however, need not decide whether this alleged overreach was illegal. Because even assuming arguendo that the prosecutors improperly allowed the use of their subpoena to aid the police investigation, the Defendant has no standing to challenge these subpoenas, and suppression would not be the proper remedy.
https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/imaging/IMAGES/DMS/CK_Image.Present2?
DMS_ID=B8D450CB6DE496A941E75FE9269EB73F0BB6DFF457694D7986EDF49E51CD721AA21F1F440EF354B1B28F6F91625FA190DB58B35ABC003F35DE57A8B1C5F3FCDF&i_url=https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/imaging/IMAGES/DMS

Only "evidence" that is being on appeal as not having a search warrant is AL silver iPhone that was seized without a warrant at the accident scene on Sunday Sept 28, 2014.

The exigent circumstances to get records from ATT, Google, Yahoo while did not need subpoenas or warrants, per testimony by Lead Investigator Jeff Allison and Michael Hendrix a pros subpoena was used. And instead of the information being sent to the Pul County Pros office, they were sent to Inv Michael Hendrix at Pul County Sheriff Office for the investigation. Not the investigation of Pros Office for trial.

BC was reported missing on Thurs night Sept 25, 2014. Surveillance of CL home started at about 7 am on Sunday Sept 28, 2014. Per testimony, they used the pros subpoenas to get the exigent circumstances that linked to CL and the surveillance of CL home. That was clearly long before Solicitor General facts he wanted to make sure noticed.

Formal charges were not filed in Pul County Circuit Court until

11/24/2014
03:29 PM MOF DIRECT LEWIS, ARRON MICHAEL
Entry: AARON M LEWIS
Images No Images

11/24/2014
03:29 PM MOF DIRECT LOWERY, CRYSTAL HOPE
Entry: CRYSTAL HOPE LOWERY
Images No Images https://caseinfo.aoc.arkansas.gov/c...=P&case_id=60CR-14-3928&begin_date=&end_date=

Good post Steve [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solicitor General Bronni stated " suppression of derivative evidence cost more to public and crime prevention than the benefits"
:thinking: Guess it is no big deal that Solicitor General Rudofsky was not an attorney on record, or at least on the docket page when he argued for the State. He did confirm though that would be attending.
I try to correct when I am wrong. The Solicitor General who argued the Oral Argument May 11, 2017 was NOT Nicholas Bronni. Arkansas AG office has 2. The correct Solicitor General was Lee Rudofsky. He also has but a few cases, same thing the stuff with Death Row inmate issues. **but has a strong legal background, still stand by my opinion of nervous, and did not know his case he was arguing.
:thinking:
ETA The reason I just assumed it was Mr. Bronni, is because of the 2 he is the only one who has been added as counsel on the docket page. Lots of other attorneys from AG office, but only place see Mr. Rudofsky name is on the confirmed. Every other attorney added has an entry of appearance docket entry

Here is the entry for Mr Bronni
03/20/2017
02:49 PM ENTRY OF APPEARANCE HALL HENRY, KATHRYN ELIZABETH
Entry: Entry of Nicholas Bronni, Deputy Solicitor General, on behalf of appellee.

ENTRY OF APPEARANCE
Leslie Rutledge, Attorney General, and Nicholas Bronni, Deputy Solicitor
General, hereby enter their appearance as attorneys of record, generally and for all
purposes in this action.
Dated March 20, 2017 https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i.../contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/imaging/IMAGES/DMS

04/20/2017
11:17 AM SUP CRT ORAL ARGUMENT ISSUED
Entry: Thursday, May 11, 2017 4-21-17 Michael Kaiser confirmed on behalf of appellant. 4-24-17 Nicholas Bronni confirmed on behalf of appellee. 4-26-17 Lee Rudofsky confirmed on behalf of appellee.
Images Oral Argument Notice
Michael Kaiser confirmed
Nicholas Bronni Confirmed
Lee Rudofsky Confirmed

from when was still at Walmart:
Lee Rudofsky is currently Assistant General Counsel for Corporate Affairs and Government Relations at Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. Prior to joining Walmart, Lee served as Deputy General Counsel to Mitt Romney's 2012 presidential campaign and spent six years in Kirkland & Ellis's Litigation & Appeals group. Lee clerked for the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts (Justice Cordy), the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit (Judge Kleinfeld), and the Office of Counsel to the President of the United States. https://www.rnla.org/bio/BioDetail.asp?MemberID=8125

Snip
Posted By Max Brantley on Thu, Jul 30, 2015
Attorney General Leslie Rutledge has announced the hiring of Lee Rudofsky as the state's first solicitor general. Many states have such a position for the person viewed as the state's top litigator on appellate matters, particularly in multistate litigation.

Rudofsky has been assistant general counsel at Walmart. https://www.arktimes.com/ArkansasBl...itor-general-a-supporter-of-same-sex-marriage

Appeal of Man Convicted of Killing Real Estate Agent Heard Before AR Supreme Court
By: Price McKeon
Posted: May 11, 2017 06:33 PM CDT
Updated: May 11, 2017 07:01 PM CDT

LITTLE ROCK, Ark.-- The Arkansas Supreme court is deciding whether a Little Rock realtor's murderer should get his conviction thrown out.

Beverly Carter's daughter-in-law Kim Carter wore one of her mother-in-law's bracelets as she sat in court Thursday morning.
more at link http://www.fox16.com/news/local-new...agent-heard-before-ar-supreme-court/711974878

Arron Lewis appeals conviction to Arkansas Supreme Court
by Janelle LilleyThursday, May 11th 2017

"There's no doubt this was a sensational case. A high profile case, notorious even, but the Constitution and Arkansas law make no exceptions for high profile cases." Those were the opening remarks made by Attorney for Arron Lewis, Michael Kaiser.
The Arkansas Supreme Court on Thursday considered the case of Arron Lewis. Lewis' claims his 5th Amendment right was violated when his request for an attorney was ignored. The state says that was a mistake.

"The Pulaski County Sheriff's Department was simply not told by the Little Rock Police Department that Lewis had asked for counsel on the drive to the Pulaski County Sheriff's Department," said Solicitor General Lee Rudofsky.

During the interrogation that Lewis says never should have happened, he unlocked his cell phone and played a recording he made of Beverly Carter. His attorney says the jury should never have heard that recording. Kaiser also argues that prosecutors used their subpoena power to get his cell phone records as evidence, a job which should have been done by officers not attorneys.

"We are directly encouraging prosecutors to violate the law," argued Kaiser.

Beverly Carter's son Carl watched the hearing online knowing the peace his family felt when Lewis was sentenced could be taken away.

"The last time I had that feeling was during the trial when you look over and see the 12 jurors and you think 'please, please be on the side of right here'," said Carter.

Carter also told me he was comforted by the detailed knowledge that the justices had about his mom's case.

A ruling from the court is expected in the next two weeks. http://katv.com/news/local/arron-lewis-appeals-conviction-to-supreme-court

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
a_renee
Back