GUILTY AR - Beverly Carter, 49, Little Rock, 25 Sep 2014 - #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's no secret NJ and I are friends now and being so, I am VERY protective over her. I know how much she has been hurt by this. She is an awesome person. You also have to remember that these moms reached out to CL, immediately after AL was arrested. NJ had been trying to get CL to go to her church, prior to this happening. Her daughter had already been going with them I believe, and I think CL had been once. And NJ was never trying to help her with an alibi, that makes it sound like she was helping her do something wrong. Which she certainly wasn't. She was just trying to jog her memory of things she might have done that weekend. Most everything CL said that NJ spoke of was true, but she left out the BIG parts obviously. If you remember AL's affidavit, he mentions a woman picking up the daughter for school that Thursday morning, and the daughter spent the night there as well. CL went to pick her up that Friday morning and she didn't act like someone that had just helped kidnap BC and keeping her in the closet etc. So she was easy to believe. You would certainly think someone who has just done all that would be in a very bad state.

Right after AL was arrested, it was almost impossible for CL to stay at her house. News reporters, from even other countries, were parked outside her house and constantly ringing the doorbell. So CL spent a lot of that month leaning on NJ and the other moms. NJ is the type of person that would give you the shirt off her back and she truly believed CL, as did all the others. I'm not sure at what point but CL did tell NJ about the swinging couples but not the prostitution that I know of. I think she was already in jail before she told about being swingers. I do think friends were surprised by it. CL came across as a quite person. I know she was pretty confused about that knife picture that CL put up and told her how bad it looked. Obviously CL didn't listen, not that it matters now.

NJ is not the type that is going to abandon you, when times get hard, and she truly believed CL up until she called and told her she was taking the plea deal. Even after that she wanted to believe that as CL said, she was taking it because she thought she wouldn't get a fair trial. The closer it came to trial, NJ really didn't hear from CL anymore and we kind of figure it's because she knew what would be coming out at trial. And trust me, it devastated NJ and that broke my heart for her. I hope I haven't said more than she would want me too but I wanted you to understand why she stood up for CL, it is because she has a huge heart and she is loyal and the world needs more of that. I know I'm blessed to call her my friend.

You are a good friend, and NJ is blessed, as well.

I have had the same best friend since I was five (that was a really long time ago). We are friends until the end. She has done things that I didn't agree with, and I have done things that she didn't. I don't think she would ever do the things CL did (sure the heck hope not), but it would take an amazing amount of evidence to make me believe it if she did. I get NJ. I think she believed things that looking from the outside in, I couldn't understand how she did. I can't judge, though. I have been fooled a time or two by people I thought I knew. And like I said, it would take some pretty damning evidence for me to take the word of another over my bff. Who wants to believe anyone they knew could be involved in something so horrific? I feel for the family and friends of CL. It will be a very long time before they can interact with her in the outside world. She is where she needs to be, though. BC has a family and friends that don't have the luxury of a phone call or visit, though be it through a glass window, at all. CL did the right thing at the trial, and I hope the misery that is clear on her face in photos is for what she did, and not for where she is. She said she wanted BC gone permanently, and when asked if she was sure, didn't think twice about it. She is a very bad person, and the world is better off without her in it.

You are a good friend, and NJ is blessed, as well.

I have had the same best friend since I was five (that was a really long time ago). We are friends until the end. She has done things that I didn't agree with, and I have done things that she didn't. I don't think she would ever do the things CL did (sure the heck hope not), but it would take an amazing amount of evidence to make me believe it if she did. I get NJ. I think she believed things that looking from the outside in, I couldn't understand how she did. I can't judge, though. I have been fooled a time or two by people I thought I knew. And like I said, it would take some pretty damning evidence for me to take the word of another over my bff. Who wants to believe anyone they knew could be involved in something so horrific? I feel for the family and friends of CL. It will be a very long time before they can interact with her in the outside world. She is where she needs to be, though. BC has a family and friends that don't have the luxury of a phone call or visit, though be it through a glass window, at all. CL did the right thing at the trial, and I hope the misery that is clear on her face in photos is for what she did, and not for where she is. She said she wanted BC gone permanently, and when asked if she was sure, didn't think twice about it. She is a very bad person, and the world is better off without her in it.

I think that was all part of the shock. How could this seemingly normal person, that was in nursing school and had a daughter that adored her, be capable of something like this. It's creepy when you think about. You never expect that you have someone in your home that could seem so normal, and find out what they are capable of.

CL's trail of damage is far and wide. I can't imagine what it will be like when her children read exactly what she did. Her other daughter that is grown, probably has by now. I believe CL's mom had a stroke after all this happened. Not to mention of course, all the damage to the Carters. Honestly, I don't think AL has anyone that really cares about him one way or another, though one day his son will probably know as well. It was all so senseless. If they needed money that badly, and were determined to do it illegally, why not do more of the credit card scams, he said he could do, at least that wouldn't have killed someone.

Heck I was even wrong in believing her death was accidental. I didn't think AL seemed like the type that would intentionally kill someone. At least not based on his other crimes. I thought maybe she had a heart attack when he put her in the trunk. It has really haunted me thinking about her being alive so long after she was kidnapped and what must have been going through her mine. Just unthinkable.

I think that was all part of the shock. How could this seemingly normal person, that was in nursing school and had a daughter that adored her, be capable of something like this. It's creepy when you think about. You never expect that you have someone in your home that could seem so normal, and find out what they are capable of.

CL's trail of damage is far and wide. I can't imagine what it will be like when her children read exactly what she did. Her other daughter that is grown, probably has by now. I believe CL's mom had a stroke after all this happened. Not to mention of course, all the damage to the Carters. Honestly, I don't think AL has anyone that really cares about him one way or another, though one day his son will probably know as well. It was all so senseless. If they needed money that badly, and were determined to do it illegally, why not do more of the credit card scams, he said he could do, at least that wouldn't have killed someone.

Heck I was even wrong in believing her death was accidental. I didn't think AL seemed like the type that would intentionally kill someone. At least not based on his other crimes. I thought maybe she had a heart attack when he put her in the trunk. It has really haunted me thinking about her being alive so long after she was kidnapped and what must have been going through her mine. Just unthinkable.

It is what stops me from getting poor Beverly out of my mind. When she was in that bathroom, she probably knew there was little chance of being let go. I would know if I saw his face my chances would be slim. As he made her walk to the woods, she likely knew. The way he did it was so cowardly. He probably thought he was powerful, being in control of her life. I think someone posted they would rather be shot than the way she went, and I agree.

Like you, I believed she died accidentally, in the car from fumes or heat, or from tape over her mouth and hyperventilating.

I can't help but wonder why he "took so long" when he went to the plant with her. I am sure he felt it was her fault she had no $ and forced him to do what he had to do. I am sure he wasn't pleasant. Poor thing.

I don't think anyone truly cares for him either. Based on what MiMi said, his Dad doesn't sound very desirable. He clearly craves attention, also, which is why he was there I am sure. When he ran for office as a Libertarian, he stated he didn't have to return funds to supporters, because he hadn't received any. In other words, he had not one supporter. That says a whole lot.

His Mom probably cares in her own child like way. If she had normal motherly love, she would be there trying to save his soul, rather than people passing by on the street. Please don't take that as insulting anything related to religion. It's just that I read her social media page not too long ago.....

It is what stops me from getting poor Beverly out of my mind. When she was in that bathroom, she probably knew there was little chance of being let go. I would know if I saw his face my chances would be slim. As he made her walk to the woods, she likely knew. The way he did it was so cowardly. He probably thought he was powerful, being in control of her life. I think someone posted they would rather be shot than the way she went, and I agree.

Like you, I believed she died accidentally, in the car from fumes or heat, or from tape over her mouth and hyperventilating.

I can't help but wonder why he "took so long" when he went to the plant with her. I am sure he felt it was her fault she had no $ and forced him to do what he had to do. I am sure he wasn't pleasant. Poor thing.

I don't think anyone truly cares for him either. Based on what MiMi said, his Dad doesn't sound very desirable. He clearly craves attention, also, which is why he was there I am sure. When he ran for office as a Libertarian, he stated he didn'ut have to return funds to supporters, because he hadn't received any. In other words, he had not one supporter. That says a whole lot.

His Mom probably cares in her own child like way. If she had normal motherly love, she would be there trying to save his soul, rather than people passing by on the street. Please don't take that as insulting anything related to religion. It's just that I read her social media page not too long ago.....

Oh I agree about his parents. It's like the mom went from one extreme to the other. I know in that physiological evaluation, AL made note that he was passed back and forth a lot, and the parent who had him, only did so because that meant they could collect child support. They did him a lot of damage, in my opinion. Of course, he still made bad choices but when you start out in life not even believing your parents love you that has to be horrible.

I said that about rather being shot. Being suffocated would be the most horrendous way for anyone to go. There are so many things we will never know the answers too, but I can't help but wonder what she said to him that made him believe there was no money. It must have seemed truthful to him, since he abandoned the ransom. But like the prosecution said, he never hid his face from her, so he must not have planned on letting her go. Either that or he just never thought anything through.

I am a pretty private person, so I can't imagine having to go through what the Carters did in court. All of your personal business being exposed that just seems so wrong. But I guess I will never understand, a defense attorney that is supposed to be a hot shot, standing in a courtroom stating that Beverly was smothered by CL's vagina. I bet that one hasn't been used by a defense attorney often.

For the longest time I thought the same thing. Exactly the same thing. I thought they never intended for anyone to die.

I no longer feel that way.

Oh I agree about his parents. It's like the mom went from one extreme to the other. I know in that physiological evaluation, AL made note that he was passed back and forth a lot, and the parent who had him, only did so because that meant they could collect child support. They did him a lot of damage, in my opinion. Of course, he still made bad choices but when you start out in life not even believing your parents love you that has to be horrible.

I said that about rather being shot. Being suffocated would be the most horrendous way for anyone to go. There are so many things we will never know the answers too, but I can't help but wonder what she said to him that made him believe there was no money. It must have seemed truthful to him, since he abandoned the ransom. But like the prosecution said, he never hid his face from her, so he must not have planned on letting her go. Either that or he just never thought anything through.

I am a pretty private person, so I can't imagine having to go through what the Carters did in court. All of your personal business being exposed that just seems so wrong. But I guess I will never understand, a defense attorney that is supposed to be a hot shot, standing in a courtroom stating that Beverly was smothered by CL's vagina. I bet that one hasn't been used by a defense attorney often.

He probably made her pull her bank accounts up online, and saw that she had $124 in her account.

That defense was so bad. When jurors give you the side eye, you have to know it, too.

I can't even visualize the marriage between CL & AL. He seemed proud when he said she brought in an extra $600 in a weekend sometimes. He's playing x-box, and she walks in from "work." How was work, honey? High five! Tonight was a $600 night! Yuck. I guess I just want my husband to not thinking the more people I am with in a night the better. He could have gotten a JOB, and at least reduced her nighttime hours

She stated she wanted him out of the house because of his infidelity. I guess if you do it for free it's infidelity.

He probably made her pull her bank accounts up online, and saw that she had $124 in her account.

That defense was so bad. When jurors give you the side eye, you have to know it, too.

Great point. I didn't even think of that. I hope the whole family can heal but poor Carl Sr. looked just pitiful. You could see how much all this pain has aged him.

I can't even visualize the marriage between CL & AL. He seemed proud when he said she brought in an extra $600 in a weekend sometimes. He's playing x-box, and she walks in from "work." How was work, honey? High five! Tonight was a $600 night! Yuck. I guess I just want my husband to not thinking the more people I am with in a night the better. He could have gotten a JOB, and at least reduced her nighttime hours

She stated she wanted him out of the house because of his infidelity. I guess if you do it for free it's infidelity.

It almost seemed like he had a spell on her. I think he only married her to try and get visitation for his son. Of course, I bet he never gave him a penny of that settlement he got. I think any future monies he could possibly get, need to go to his son or the Carters. Wonder if he would be so willing to fight these silly cases, if he knew he wasn't getting a dime.

It almost seemed like he had a spell on her. I think he only married her to try and get visitation for his son. Of course, I bet he never gave him a penny of that settlement he got. I think any future monies he could possibly get, need to go to his son or the Carters. Wonder if he would be so willing to fight these silly cases, if he knew he wasn't getting a dime.

Wonder if he is capable of truly loving his son, or if it was a control thing.

He probably thinks if he gets money, he can use his superior intelligence, and win a fight against Carter family and son to keep it. I am sure he thinks that he will win an appeal, and live happily ever after.

Wonder if he is capable of truly loving his son, or if it was a control thing.

He probably thinks if he gets money, he can use his superior intelligence, and win a fight against Carter family and son to keep it. I am sure he thinks that he will win an appeal, and live happily ever after.

I hope his son got $ from the lawsuit he did win. Hope it didn't all go to motorbikes and breast implants.

Personally, I am glad you are there as support for NJ and you and she are friends. There is a distinct difference between "true blue" friends and "fair weather" friends. It is also unfathomable to believe someone you considered a close, good friend could be capable of something this heinous.

I have learned over the years that when people "tell" you who they are, believe them. This can go either way can't it. The fallout is simply tragic and I hope those affected can gather the pieces and put their lives somewhat back together. None of them will ever be the same. IMOO

Respectfully, I don't know what this old quoted post was following up on, or attempting to prove, but it looks pretty far off base to me. This was a crime (and conviction) for kidnapping and murder, and "proving a robbery" would make no sense legally as an element of either crime that needs to be proven.

The online resources say that this below is the ARK statute on kidnapping (I'm only directly familiar with TX statutes), and none of the above arguments pertain to the statute I'm seeing. I've highlighted what I believe to be the relevant part of the code in this case.

AR Code § 5-11-102 (2014)

(a) A person commits the offense of kidnapping if, without consent, the person restrains another person so as to interfere substantially with the other person's liberty with the purpose of:
...(1) Holding the other person for:
......(A) Ransom or reward; or
......(B) Any other act to be performed or not performed for the other person's return or release;
...(2) Using the other person as a shield or hostage;
...(3) Facilitating the commission of any felony or flight after the felony;
...(4) Inflicting physical injury upon the other person;
...(5) Engaging in sexual intercourse, deviate sexual activity, or sexual contact with the other person;
...(6) Terrorizing the other person or another person; or
...(7) Interfering with the performance of any governmental or political function.
(b)
...(1)
Kidnapping is a Class Y felony.
...(2) However, kidnapping is a Class B felony if the defendant shows by a preponderance of the evidence that he or she or an accomplice voluntarily released the person restrained alive and in a safe place prior to trial.

I see 3 elements to be proved, all of which were clearly proven:
*without consent
*they restrained another person that interfered substantially with the other person's liberty
*with the purpose of [pick one possible purpose of the 7 listed, in this case they used #1A] holding that other person for ransom or reward
Those elements were admitted as true by the testimony of CL, corroborated by the existence of AL's ransom recording, and his testimony about that recording that was so ludicrous as to confirm it was indeed a ransom-purposed recording.

:goodpost::yeahthat:

A little late with the reply, but with all the talk about CL, it made me want to say what bothered me the most about her. I do commend her for coming clean with her testimony and helping to put that monster husband of hers behind bars for good. I have to give credit where credit is due. I truly hope that she's honestly sorry for her role in the crime. I hope when she mouthed "I'm so sorry" to Carl, Jr. that she really meant it.

That being said, it really bothers me to think of how many opportunities she had to save Beverly's life....even after she was initially kidnapped. She commented on the stand something about how she didn't really think that when push came to shove, BC was going to really meet with AL. She sounded like she was actually surprised that the meeting took place.

At some point, it had to have become real to her. She had to have realized that this was really happening! One would think she might at some point have an "oh sh*&" moment and think to herself "what am I doing?!"

So I have to ask:

When AL texted her the photo of Beverly bound and gagged in the trunk of his car...why didn't she call the police? It wasn't too late.

When she came home from clinicals and discovered a woman was being held in her bathroom...why didn't she call the police? It wasn't too late.

When AL left her alone with BC to return to the house to retrieve her purse.....why didn't she call the police? At the very least, why didn't she open the door and tell her to run? She could have made up some BS story to AL that she had escaped? It still wasn't too late.

Hell, it still may not have been too late if she had called the police when AL left the house with BC. There was still a slight chance they could have swooped in and saved her!

So many chances. But nope. None of that happened. She sat back and allowed it to continue. Because "she didn't want to get caught."

Every time I feel myself softening toward CL, I have to remember that. This woman sat back and allowed another woman to die. She's right where she belongs and I'm not too sure that 30 years is near long enough.

A little late with the reply, but with all the talk about CL, it made me want to say what bothered me the most about her. I do commend her for coming clean with her testimony and helping to put that monster husband of hers behind bars for good. I have to give credit where credit is due. I truly hope that she's honestly sorry for her role in the crime. I hope when she mouthed "I'm so sorry" to Carl, Jr. that she really meant it.

That being said, it really bothers me to think of how many opportunities she had to save Beverly's life....even after she was initially kidnapped. She commented on the stand something about how she didn't really think that when push came to shove, BC was going to really meet with AL. She sounded like she was actually surprised that the meeting took place.

At some point, it had to have become real to her. She had to have realized that this was really happening! One would think she might at some point have an "oh sh*&" moment and think to herself "what am I doing?!"

So I have to ask:

When AL texted her the photo of Beverly bound and gagged in the trunk of his car...why didn't she call the police? It wasn't too late.

When she came home from clinicals and discovered a woman was being held in her bathroom...why didn't she call the police? It wasn't too late.

When AL left her alone with BC to return to the house to retrieve her purse.....why didn't she call the police? At the very least, why didn't she open the door and tell her to run? She could have made up some BS story to AL that she had escaped? It still wasn't too late.

Hell, it still may not have been too late if she had called the police when AL left the house with BC. There was still a slight chance they could have swooped in and saved her!

So many chances. But nope. None of that happened. She sat back and allowed it to continue. Because "she didn't want to get caught."

Every time I feel myself softening toward CL, I have to remember that. This woman sat back and allowed another woman to die. She's right where she belongs and I'm not too sure that 30 years is near long enough.
:ditto:
And then afterwards... she sent put $ on his Prison account, no telling how many calls or possible letters changed hands between the month AL was arrested until CL was. We know of at least 2 she sent after she went 1 in March (iirc it was stated March 3? could be misremembering there) and the other had to have been after her plea in July as she was explaining why. *unless it was prior and she telling she going to Plea. Oh and she still loves him.

Just as you stated so well, MANY opportunities to stop but didnt. In no way to I feel and CL never seemed to give the impression she was in fear of AL. She just wanted BC GONE. She JMHO is as evil as AL. I guess he having prior criminal background sadly expect it more, but she even said he text are you sure and she said yes. She did what she did even turning on AL, for CL own good, nothing more, nothing less. JMHO.

This is why my gut feeling is and the questions I and everyone else will never be answered. I believe CL had way more a role than what she stated on stand. Which wasnt really very much (what she said). I wish we knew what all LEO had on HER.

So I have to ask:

Good post, jstkiddn.

I don't believe for a minute either that CL knew nothing about AL's past criminal history. Nope, nada, I'm not buying that story either. JMO.

:ditto:
And then afterwards... she sent put $ on his Prison account, no telling how many calls or possible letters changed hands between the month AL was arrested until CL was. We know of at least 2 she sent after she went 1 in March (iirc it was stated March 3? could be misremembering there) and the other had to have been after her plea in July as she was explaining why. *unless it was prior and she telling she going to Plea. Oh and she still loves him.

Just as you stated so well, MANY opportunities to stop but didnt. In no way to I feel and CL never seemed to give the impression she was in fear of AL. She just wanted BC GONE. She JMHO is as evil as AL. I guess he having prior criminal background sadly expect it more, but she even said he text are you sure and she said yes. She did what she did even turning on AL, for CL own good, nothing more, nothing less. JMHO.

This is why my gut feeling is and the questions I and everyone else will never be answered. I believe CL had way more a role than what she stated on stand. Which wasnt really very much (what she said). I wish we knew what all LEO had on HER.

I think she spoke of the things she knew they could have evidence of, and told them nothing more. I agree. I am glad she testified, but she did that for one person alone.

Stuff that just dont add up JMHO

States Opening Statements (not evidence but what they allegedly intend to prove)
Pros Barbara Mariani stated that on 9/24/2014 (Wed, day prior to abduction) that at 4:31pm AL Textme phone # called BC cell. This checks out with the Textme records.

But then Pros Mariani said that at 5:40pm this date (9/24/2014) that BC rec'd an email from stevenadams2015@gmail.com

THIS cant be correct by the records filed by this same Prosecutor on 12/21/2015 https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i...resent2?DMS_ID=IKS6QEHU9XTRSIKGZTRJXEBDPQQ781

it shows that (as the Michael Hendrix testified account was created on 9/24/2014 at 9:39am)
then it shows the time of the email sent by stevenadams2015@gmail.com
being sent at:
20:25:14 UTC
- 5 hrs utc
gives
15:25:14 Central Time in Mil time
3:25:14pm would be the time of the email on 9/25/2014 (date of abduction) NOT 5:40pm on 9/24/2014

Also, there were 2 laptops. An IBM and a Gateway, and an iPad. Very confusing if trying to read the Motions/Responses. But those are 2 diff laptops and the iPad.
IBM was from the inside of the 2012 Ford Focus - could use because deemed so by Judge as listed on the Inventory Search Record
Gateway was from the residence of 165 Randall - can't use as was part of illegal search warrant

IBM:
Per Def Motion: MOTION TO SUPPRESS PHYSICAL EVIDENCE FROM FAULTY WARRANT FOR
BLACK IBM LAPTOP
1. On or about October 2, 2014, members of the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Office
filed an affidavit for a search warrant of a Black Gateway Laptop.
*typo? if so by whom?
8. Most importantly, the affidavit does not even state where the IBM laptop came
from, who owns it, who possessed it, or what it is alleged to contain
. https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i...resent2?DMS_ID=TX1YILHMI3S5EJPYCSDSD7A2O30YTQ

MOTION TO RETURN GATEWAY LAPTOP SEIZED FROM DEFENDANT
COMES NOW, the Defendant, Aaron Lewis, by and through counsel, the James Law
Firm, and for the Defendant’s motion to return Gateway laptop seized from Defendant, states:
1. A Gateway laptop was seized from Defendant's residence.

2. The Gateway laptop was not subject to seizure, was unlawfully seized, and to the
Defendant's knowledge the Gateway laptop is not being used as evidence. Thus, the Gateway
laptop should be returned to the Defendant or a designated person by the Defendant. Ark. R.
Crim. P. 15.2. https://contexte.aoc.arkansas.gov/i...resent2?DMS_ID=J65ZZTQ371GXSGXNGIKBYRP7PPXPJ2

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaGitana
Back