GUILTY AR - Beverly Carter, 49, Little Rock, 25 Sep 2014 - # 5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just catching up, but the lockbox on the house was gone? Like completely missing?

I am still stuck on the missing lock box. Could a realtor or someone in the know explain what kind of information is stored in the iphone app that BC would use to unlock the lockbox? What advantage, if any, would the common thief have if the phone and key card were to come into their possession? Would they be able, for example, to unlock any MSL listing with a lockbox? Would the information connected with the keycard give them other information in regard to listings, owner info, etc?

Or could there have been information stored regarding who the home was shown to, or a picture of the client, or ID info that the criminals would have been motivated to take possession of the phone?

My first thought is there would be a way to deactivate it immediately if stolen, but I am still looking at this from the theft angle.

I'm a real estate agent and this is our local protocol for the lock box. The lock box app is on our smartphones and it uses bluetooth to connect to the lock box. You do have to have a personal code that you input in the phone for it to open the lock box. That code has our personal information, like name, company, contact info including email & phone number, etc. I have all of my lock boxes registered to the property they are on. Once someone opens the lock box I am emailed a notification of who opened it and their contact info, so that I can follow up with them on showing feedback or if there are any questions. Beverly would have had to give AL the code to use on any other lock boxes. Once this all became public AL would have been really stupid to use that app on her phone, as it would have triggered alerts of some kind. Another thought, not sure how this would work, but the lock box company could have shut her access down I'm pretty sure.

Hope this helps. By the way, not all agents use MLS lock boxes, some use personal ones. In that case she would not have needed a phone to open them.

I'm a real estate agent and this is our local protocol for the lock box. The lock box app is on our smartphones and it uses bluetooth to connect to the lock box. You do have to have a personal code that you input in the phone for it to open the lock box. That code has our personal information, like name, company, contact info including email & phone number, etc. I have all of my lock boxes registered to the property they are on. Once someone opens the lock box I am emailed a notification of who opened it and their contact info, so that I can follow up with them on showing feedback or if there are any questions. Beverly would have had to give AL the code to use on any other lock boxes. Once this all became public AL would have been really stupid to use that app on her phone, as it would have triggered alerts of some kind. Another thought, not sure how this would work, but the lock box company could have shut her access down I'm pretty sure.

Hope this helps. By the way, not all agents use MLS lock boxes, some use personal ones. In that case she would not have needed a phone to open them.

It would probably be the local realtor association (where you pay your fees to) that would shut down the electronic lock boxes. Electronic lock boxes where I was a salesperson were expensive. First, you had to buy the lockbox outright (& they're big & clunky ) & then you had to pay a monthly activation fee. They will automatically generate a report of time & day when the house was shown.
In the end, I went back to the old fashioned way of having my own locks on my listings. Yeah, I had to be there which can be a pain but I gained info for my clients (feedback). I never gave out my personal code to my locks.
The old fashioned way ensured I would get pre-qual letters from buyer agents before I'd bother wasting my time & risk exposing my clients property to ner-do-wells or tire-kickers!
I preferred the old fashioned locks in the end for a variety of reasons.

Moo

Just catching up, but the lockbox on the house was gone? Like completely missing?

It is something I recall reading early on. In looking to find a source to confirm it the only things I have run across are statements on SM saying that it was found in AL's trunk following the wreck. I have not seen that confirmed on MM so at this point I'm considering it a rumor that hasn't been confirmed by LE. Evidence and facts are hard to come by in this case.

Before 1-800-FLOWERS, there was FTD - Floral Telegraph Delivery, later known as Floral TransWorld Delivery. I usually call my local florist so that he can get a commission from my orders but they have an order-processing center in the Little Rock area for whom I am told CL worked.

I have been unable to find CL's Arkansas insurance claims adjuster license but perhaps with the name of her employer and whichever legal name she was using at the time, you will have better luck. As it is public record and she has been arrested on suspicion of a capitol crime, posting a link or image would not be a violation of her privacy or of Websleuths' rules.

I do appreciate your input regarding CL. You are a much more trusting friend than I think I would be had one of my friends married AL.

She may not have been licensed. Just because she worked for an insurance company, doesn't mean she was in a licensed position. There are many positions that do not require that. Also she may have been exempt. EXEMPTION: a salaried employee of an insurance company who only adjusts claims for said insurance company is exempt from licensure in Arkansas.

It is something I recall reading early on. In looking to find a source to confirm it the only things I have run across are statements on SM saying that it was found in AL's trunk following the wreck. I have not seen that confirmed on MM so at this point I'm considering it a rumor that hasn't been confirmed by LE. Evidence and facts are hard to come by in this case.

It was rumored that the lockbox was found in his car when he crashed it. I haven't seen it confirmed in MSM though.

The lockbox as a motive is hard for me to swallow....unless his intention was to use it to break into a specific property THAT night and hold her until after he committed his crime and something unexpected happened (she refused to give him her code, etc.)? It just seems shortsighted to commit a crime for something that, once reported stollen, would be inoperable. Aside from that, any criminal knows that homes aren't hard to break into. Why would he need a lock box app to access a home when the average teenager could probably figure out a way to break into a locked home?

I have read that the lock box was missing and also that the key was missing. I would love confirmation one way or the other if anyone can find an exact quote from LE or a family member talking about it? I know CC Sr. stated in his interview linked above that they knew she never made it to her second property because she didn't access it with her phone but I don't think we should assume that just because the 2nd home had a lockbox accessible with her phone that the first one she went missing from did.

I have a question for realtors in the know. Could the actual lock box be removed from the home with the application or is it removed with a key or code that a realtor showing the property wouldn't have access to?

I have read that the lock box was missing and also that the key was missing. I would love confirmation one way or the other if anyone can find an exact quote from LE or a family member talking about it? I know CC Sr. stated in his interview linked above that they knew she never made it to her second property because she didn't access it with her phone but I don't think we should assume that just because the 2nd home had a lockbox accessible with her phone that the first one she went missing from did.

I have a question for realtors in the know. Could the actual lock box be removed from the home with the application or is it removed with a key or code that a realtor showing the property wouldn't have access to?

The lock box can be removed by anyone that has the lock box owners code. If it were Beverly's lock box she would have the code. I believe this was another agents listing so she most likely didn't have the code to remove the actual lock box. A code is needed to open the lock box and one to remove it. Showing agents don't have the code to remove the box.

If we assume AL was even a quasi-competent criminal (which, granted, might be extending too much benefit of doubt)... He sets a fake appt with a Realtor - ostensibly to rob her or get cash somehow, but... Why does he pick a house located in an area in clear view of the neighbors?? A vacant house makes good sense, and I admittedly DON'T know the area, but aren't there any homes more off the beaten path or maybe up private drives, hidden behind hedges, walls, not in fully developed suburban areas? Even new construction homes in latter stages of development would have guaranteed far more "privacy" from peering eyes and thus better odds of getting away with whatever was planned. Trying to figure out why that particular location was chosen by AL, given it wasn't her listing either.

To expand on what GrilledCheezy said, the rallying cry to cheer for the Razorbacks is "Woo Pig Sooie"
Ah ha ok! Gotcha. Now if the site would've said sooners or go pokes I might've figured that out it was sports related. [emoji6]

If we assume AL was even a quasi-competent criminal (which, granted, might be extending too much benefit of doubt)... He sets a fake appt with a Realtor - ostensibly to rob her or get cash somehow, but... Why does he pick a house located in an area in clear view of the neighbors?? A vacant house makes good sense, and I admittedly DON'T know the area, but aren't there any homes more off the beaten path or maybe up private drives, hidden behind hedges, walls, not in fully developed suburban areas? Even new construction homes in latter stages of development would have guaranteed far more "privacy" from peering eyes and thus better odds of getting away with whatever was planned. Trying to figure out why that particular location was chosen by AL, given it wasn't her listing either.

And that time of day when there would be lots of traffic with people getting home from work.

Ah ha ok! Gotcha. Now if the site would've said sooners or go pokes I might've figured that out it was sports related. [emoji6]
Well DUH! I went back to site and scrolled clear up to see there IS a football field and a red razorback. I wasn't looking at the top---just digging through the comments! Ha

And that time of day when there would be lots of traffic with people getting home from work.

Exactly. So you either decide he's just wholly incompetent at his "job", lacking any serious plotting skills.... or utterly reckless (which I think given all parts of his story that's pretty much a given) - or there was some other reason for choosing that place, that time. A two second google satellite view would give a good idea of the proximity to neighbors.

Also intrigued by reports from the neighbor (GC) how he had told her, a total stranger at the time, his whole story, criminal background litany of arrests ....when he first moved in. (Arkansas online 9/30 story)

Ciccel said Lewis had moved into the rental property on Randall Drive about a year and a half ago. She said he had been forthcoming about his checkered past, and his intentions for turning his life around.

"When he first moved in, he told us a lot about his life. He told us he had a record, that he was a parolee, and what he wanted to do with his life," Ciccel said. "But that did not come to pass."

So a stranger next door knew. On day one.

14202 Old River Road is a HUGE house. 4,141 Sq ft. That's 1,141 Sq ft more than my home.
The satellite view on the map---there appears to be a large upper deck in the back? Wow, could LE have missed crime scene evidence? That's a lot of property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nutphinx