GUILTY AR - Casey Crowder, 17, Pine Bluff, 27 Aug 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It would be wonderful if any other unsolved crimes where he's been have that same pet-hair DNA.

Thanks for posting that. I had wondered what was happening with that case but hadn't heard anything for a while. He had to know what the consequences would be for confessing to this murder. Did he think he could confess and just deny it later?

So LE threatened to lock up his daughter if he didn't confess to murder. That's a new one. I would imagine if that had been the case this creep would have told them to go ahead and lock her up! He murdered a teenager. Why would he care what happened to his own kids. This creep must have thought that it was his lucky day/night when he saw Casey walking on the freeway. I wish she had waited for her mom to come and get her or someone else to come. Kids just don't realize how dangerous it is out there.

ARKANSAS CITY, Ark. A hearing that was set for today for a man accused of killing a Pine Bluff teenager has been postponed until next month.

Circuit Judge Sam Pope did not set a date for the hearing.

Forty-six-year-old Kenneth Osburn has pleaded not guilty to a capital murder charge in the August 27th slaying.

Crowder's body was discovered near a drainage canal east of Dumas on September second following a six-day search. She disappeared after running out of gas on U-S 65 near Dumas.

Osburn's lawyer has filed a batch of motions, including one that seeks a delay in a trial that is scheduled for May.

http://www.wmcstations.com/Global/story.asp?S=5971739

Typical defense attorney to keep postponing everything. Well, he can keep it up but there will come a day when there will be a trial and there will be justice for Casey. Bless her and her family.

Kenneth Ray Osburn, 48, was convicted Friday of the capital murder and kidnapping of Pine Bluff teenager Casey Crowder and was sentenced to life in prison without parole.

The jury deliberated for more than 10 hours before announcing its unanimous verdict at 11:45 a.m.

However, Arkansas law requires a separate penalty phase when a conviction is returned in a capital case.​

The jury was split 11-1 on the question of execution or life in prison without parole.​

Tenth Judicial District Circuit Court Judge Sam Pope sentenced Osburn to life without parole, as is dictated by law in the event a jury can’t reach a decision in the sentencing phase.​

What was his motive for killing her? I just find it hard to believe that he waits to the age of 46 to begin killing.

What was his motive for killing her? I just find it hard to believe that he waits to the age of 46 to begin killing.

This probably wasn't the first time for him. I hope he gets LWOP...at least.

"In its argument, the state had argued that Osborn voluntarily continued talking to investigators, even after asking for an attorney, specifically telling Boshears that he was “in a mess” and “wanted to do the right thing,” and that his statements should be allowed, but the supreme court disagreed.

“Absolutely no inquiry or statement by Osborn evinced any willingness on his part to reengage to reinitiate a conversation relating to the investigation,” the court said. “To the contrary, his inquiries and statements indicated a desire to see his family and expressed his despair.”

The ruling, by Associate Justice Paul Danielson, also said that Osborn’s statements “were the result of coercion and in violation of his Fifth Amendment right.”

Danielson cited some of those statements by investigators that included references to “last meals,” that the “jury would cook his (expletive),” and that they’ll “pump the needle in (his) arm.” In addition, at the conclusion of one interview, Newton told Osborn that “the next time they met, he would only be nice for a short time and then ‘I’m going to get ugly’.”

"Also dissenting, Associate Justice Robert Brown noted that by throwing out the confession, “I am exceedingly doubtful that a retrial will occur.”

http://www.pbcommercial.com/articles/2009/06/26/news/news1.txt

http://www.pbcommercial.com/articles/2006/09/30/news/news1.txt

A divided ruling by Arkansas' Supreme Court reversed the murder conviction of Kenneth Ray Osborn, a 46 year old truck. Osborn was convicted in January 2008 for the kidnapping and murder of Casey Crowder (female, age 17, a driver in need of help) that was based largely on Osborn's confession.

Did Arkansas' Supreme Court decide correctly?

You would have ruled?

hmmmmm........I'm not familiar with this case. However, from what I see said by the Supreme Court, it does appear his 5th Amendment was violated.

I would HOPE, IF he did this crime, LE has something else. Although this guy had a previous record, none of that was violent. Wonder what made them pick him? Plus, they did receive inquiries by two other agencies but never heard back, so he must not be connected to those cases.

I guess, legally, they'd have to either retry him or let him go.

JMHO
fran

PS....I have no idea what these LE officers were thinking when they did this. Idiots.......:(

The cops took this man to a shed on some property owned by the sheriff to "talk" to him? (Yeah, right. If you need so much privacy to conduct an interview, something is wrong with the interview techniques.) And after he asked for a lawyer, they continued questioning him?

This one is so easy, I can't believe there was a divided court. The decision was correct, and the conviction was rightly overturned.

hmmmmm........I'm not familiar with this case. However, from what I see said by the Supreme Court, it does appear his 5th Amendment was violated.

I would HOPE, IF he did this crime, LE has something else. Although this guy had a previous record, none of that was violent. Wonder what made them pick him? Plus, they did receive inquiries by two other agencies but never heard back, so he must not be connected to those cases.

I guess, legally, they'd have to either retry him or let him go.

JMHO
fran

PS....I have no idea what these LE officers were thinking when they did this. Idiots.......:(

Nice post Fran. Over the years, it seems your reflections on cases might have changed somewhat.

Nice post Fran. Over the years, it seems your reflections on cases might have changed somewhat.

I've come to realize that not ALL LE officers operate within the parameters of the law. Sometimes they may just 'tweek' a little to get THEIR desired results, regardless of whether the person is guilty or innocent.

There's laws for a reason. Like these guys, threatened to arrest his daughters. :mad:...........but the fact is, he'd already said he wanted a lawyer.

With this guy, they HAVE to have something or some things, most likely circumstantial, that link him to the crime. I'd be interested in what else they have as {proof} besides the coerced confession.

I'm not saying he's innocent, but I am saying the confession should be thrown out from what I read.

JMHO
fran

Due process is one of the most important parts of our criminal justice system. If the accused had no rights, any one of us could be picked up and possibly be sent to prison.

They did the right thing. If they have better evidence, they should retry him, if not, let him go.

Very old case. But Casey was found deceased.

MISSING 17-YEAR-OLD CASEY CROWDER FOUND DECEASED
9/3/06

Casey Crowder, a 17-year old Pine Bluff teen missing for a week was found dead Saturday east of Dumas, a state police spokesman said.

http://michellesaysso.blogspot.com/2006/09/missing-17-year-old-casey-crowder.html

Casey Crowder Murder Arrest
9/7/07

A 46-year-old truck driver from Desha County is charged in the death of 17-year-old Casey Crowder. Crowder was reported missing August 28 after her car ran out of gas on Highway 65 in Dumas. Six days later, after an extensive search, her body was found near a canal. Authorities say, DNA evidence and resident interviews led to the arrest.

http://www.fox16.com/news/local/story/Casey-Crowder-Murder-Arrest/sktyhRhpJUSVPrp1Lua1Ig.cspx

So sorry for this family.

Could someone please change the title of this thread to show that it is an Arkansas (AR) case and not an Alaska (AK) case?

OT: You would not believe how much of our mail gets misrouted

Very old case. But Casey was found deceased.

MISSING 17-YEAR-OLD CASEY CROWDER FOUND DECEASED
9/3/06

Casey Crowder, a 17-year old Pine Bluff teen missing for a week was found dead Saturday east of Dumas, a state police spokesman said.

http://michellesaysso.blogspot.com/2006/09/missing-17-year-old-casey-crowder.html

Casey Crowder Murder Arrest
9/7/07

A 46-year-old truck driver from Desha County is charged in the death of 17-year-old Casey Crowder. Crowder was reported missing August 28 after her car ran out of gas on Highway 65 in Dumas. Six days later, after an extensive search, her body was found near a canal. Authorities say, DNA evidence and resident interviews led to the arrest.

http://www.fox16.com/news/local/story/Casey-Crowder-Murder-Arrest/sktyhRhpJUSVPrp1Lua1Ig.cspx

The truck driver was already convicted and the conviction overturned because the LE used intimidation and threats against his daughter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jadeeire
Back