Identified! AR - El Dorado, Whitehall Motel, WhtFem 18-21, 81UFAR, Jul'91 - #3 - Kelly from VA

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Their Bodies Made Headlines, But Their Names Were A Mystery: Famous Jane Doe Cases

In the case of this Jane Doe, authorities knew how and where she died. They knew who her killer was. They knew what she looked like and spoke to several of her friends and acquaintances — but still, they had no idea who she actually was.

The El Dorado Jane Doe was shot to death at the Whitehall Motel in El Dorado, HuffPost reported in 2019 . He pleaded guilty to second-degree murder and spent nearly 15 years in prison.

This Jane Doe’s friends and acquaintances all gave police different names, saying she went by the alias “Mercedes,” as well as “Cheryl,” “Shannon,” and “Kelly.” She was a sex worker and exotic dancer who worked in various places in the south. Nobody knew her birth identity, and she gave different friends different stories: To some she claimed to be in the Mafia, to others she said she was wanted for bank robbery, and to a few she even said she was a mother of two, according to the outlet.

A recent break in the case came in 2019 when her DNA was shared with GEDmatch, a genomics and genealogy website, and it turned up a hit. Police were able to track down her relatives and get one step closer to uncovering her true identity.

“I was really shocked,” Christina Tilford, the Jane Doe’s relative, told HuffPost. “I didn’t expect something like this to come from my DNA test.

That is such a frustrating case... a lifetime of lies based on parents lifetimes of lies (re the out of wedlock birth)... brick walls everywhere.

What about her maternal lineage? If they could identify the birth mom, they could find adoption records.. but i guess her maternal matches are too weak .

This information was given to law enforcement in El Dorado in 2019. LE apparently investigated but either came up with a brick wall, or some other issue, but obviously nothing has come of it. I think there may be value to it.

"Earlier this year it was reported that DNA evidence had uncovered a connection to the Wood family. Recent information is that there may be a connection to Dennis Leroy Layman as a possible father. Dennis was a grandson of the Wood great-grandparents of EDJD. I have found information about a woman he may have had a relationship with in the early 1960’s when they were both married to other people. This woman may be EDJD’s mother—a woman who may not be on your radar because it appears she and Dennis had an affair with each other and if she was pregnant the child may have been adopted.

According to newspaper articles, on July 8, 1964 in Vienna, Virginia, five residents of a 2nd story apartment house were killed by fire. Two of the victims were a 36- year old mother, Elizabeth Worrell and her 10-year old son, Joseph. Mrs. Worrell's 17-year old daughter, Gloria Grubb was spared because she spent the night sleeping in a car parked outside with her friend, Dennis Layman, of Fairfax, VA.

Gloria Grubb had married the previous year as a 16-year old to James Grubb, they divorced in 1968 with no children.

Dennis appears to have still been married to Virginia Marie Smith, who he had two sons with by 1964

It's apparent that Gloria's relationship with her husband was already strained at the time of the fire because she had spent the night with Layman and possibly had a relationship with him.

Layman went on to marry Cheryl Lynn McMurray in 1975 and Gloria went on to marry Jerry Allen Shannon in 1970. They both lived in Virginia. Prior to her marriage to Jerry, Gloria had one daughter Theresa Marie Shannon born September 11, 1968. Subsequently she and Jerry had another daughter, Stacey Shannon born December 23, 1971. Gloria and Jerry divorced in 1976.

Gloria later married Robert Kenyon and was with him until her death in Groton, Connecticut, on July 26, 2013.

As a genealogist and family historian, I would research a path that assumed Gloria may have been pregnant in 1964 and had a baby in either late 1964 or 1965. If Layman was still married, and we know Gloria was still married, the baby may have been given up for adoption. That would explain why the Wood family was unaware of a baby girl.

EDJD may have been aware of these circumstances and may have known that her father married a woman named Cheryl in the 70’s and her mother married a man with the surname Shannon, in the 70’s as well. In my experience young people who take on aliases often have a familiar ‘connection’ name they adopt that is just beyond the names of immediate family members, but close enough that the name feels familiar. EDJD used both Cheryl and Shannon as alias names.

Also police found in EDJDs possession several menus. One menu is from Worrell Brothers restaurant in Virginia Beach. Worrell is the surname of Gloria Grubb. I have not found a direct connection yet between the two families, but I suspect the Worrell Brothers are cousins of Gloria’s family.

Worrell Brothers opened registered the trademark for the menu logo in February 1985.

Phillips Waterside Restaurant opened the first week of June 1983. A food reviewer quoted some prices on the menu. The price of Steamed Shrimp was $5.95, just as on EDJD’s menu, but Waterside coffee was only $2.50, not $3.50 as shown on EDJD’s menu. In December 1985 coffee prices in restaurants peaked, and by January 1986 they started going back down. Coffee peaked again January 1990 and then fell. The fact the food prices stayed the same, on the menu but coffee went up 40% tells me there was possibly a coffee issue soon after the restaurant opened and EDJD may have visited during Christmas 1985. Though, as a transient, I find it hard to believe she kept the menu intact for 6 years."
From an anonymous family historian with no ties to the case other than as a researcher.

This information was given to law enforcement in El Dorado in 2019. LE apparently investigated but either came up with a brick wall, or some other issue, but obviously nothing has come of it. I think there may be value to it.

"Earlier this year it was reported that DNA evidence had uncovered a connection to the Wood family. Recent information is that there may be a connection to Dennis Leroy Layman as a possible father. Dennis was a grandson of the Wood great-grandparents of EDJD. I have found information about a woman he may have had a relationship with in the early 1960’s when they were both married to other people. This woman may be EDJD’s mother—a woman who may not be on your radar because it appears she and Dennis had an affair with each other and if she was pregnant the child may have been adopted.

According to newspaper articles, on July 8, 1964 in Vienna, Virginia, five residents of a 2nd story apartment house were killed by fire. Two of the victims were a 36- year old mother, Elizabeth Worrell and her 10-year old son, Joseph. Mrs. Worrell's 17-year old daughter, Gloria Grubb was spared because she spent the night sleeping in a car parked outside with her friend, Dennis Layman, of Fairfax, VA.

Gloria Grubb had married the previous year as a 16-year old to James Grubb, they divorced in 1968 with no children.

Dennis appears to have still been married to Virginia Marie Smith, who he had two sons with by 1964

It's apparent that Gloria's relationship with her husband was already strained at the time of the fire because she had spent the night with Layman and possibly had a relationship with him.

Layman went on to marry Cheryl Lynn McMurray in 1975 and Gloria went on to marry Jerry Allen Shannon in 1970. They both lived in Virginia. Prior to her marriage to Jerry, Gloria had one daughter Theresa Marie Shannon born September 11, 1968. Subsequently she and Jerry had another daughter, Stacey Shannon born December 23, 1971. Gloria and Jerry divorced in 1976.

Gloria later married Robert Kenyon and was with him until her death in Groton, Connecticut, on July 26, 2013.

As a genealogist and family historian, I would research a path that assumed Gloria may have been pregnant in 1964 and had a baby in either late 1964 or 1965. If Layman was still married, and we know Gloria was still married, the baby may have been given up for adoption. That would explain why the Wood family was unaware of a baby girl.

EDJD may have been aware of these circumstances and may have known that her father married a woman named Cheryl in the 70’s and her mother married a man with the surname Shannon, in the 70’s as well. In my experience young people who take on aliases often have a familiar ‘connection’ name they adopt that is just beyond the names of immediate family members, but close enough that the name feels familiar. EDJD used both Cheryl and Shannon as alias names.

Also police found in EDJDs possession several menus. One menu is from Worrell Brothers restaurant in Virginia Beach. Worrell is the surname of Gloria Grubb. I have not found a direct connection yet between the two families, but I suspect the Worrell Brothers are cousins of Gloria’s family.

Worrell Brothers opened registered the trademark for the menu logo in February 1985.

Phillips Waterside Restaurant opened the first week of June 1983. A food reviewer quoted some prices on the menu. The price of Steamed Shrimp was $5.95, just as on EDJD’s menu, but Waterside coffee was only $2.50, not $3.50 as shown on EDJD’s menu. In December 1985 coffee prices in restaurants peaked, and by January 1986 they started going back down. Coffee peaked again January 1990 and then fell. The fact the food prices stayed the same, on the menu but coffee went up 40% tells me there was possibly a coffee issue soon after the restaurant opened and EDJD may have visited during Christmas 1985. Though, as a transient, I find it hard to believe she kept the menu intact for 6 years."
From an anonymous family historian with no ties to the case other than as a researcher.
Wow! How did you find all this?!

A post with substance, a lot of good info. It sounds like a path that needs to be pursued but regardless of how it turns out the time and effort is much appreciated.

So if investigators were given the information about the possible Gloria (Worrell/Grubb/Shannon) Kenyon connection to EDJD, I wonder what they did with the info. Like, did they reach out to Gloria's daughters, run the info by them, ask them if they their mum talked to them about giving a child up for adoption, to submit a DNA test, etc; contact the Worrell family connected to the restaurant (which could have been a paternal connection to Gloria) to see if they knew anything? The two Worrell brothers who owned the bar are both deceased. My guess is that their father & Gloria's father may have been brothers, based on obits and census records I found.

So if investigators were given the information about the possible Gloria (Worrell/Grubb/Shannon) Kenyon connection to EDJD, I wonder what they did with the info. Like, did they reach out to Gloria's daughters, run the info by them, ask them if they their mum talked to them about giving a child up for adoption, to submit a DNA test, etc; contact the Worrell family connected to the restaurant (which could have been a paternal connection to Gloria) to see if they knew anything? The two Worrell brothers who owned the bar are both deceased. My guess is that their father & Gloria's father may have been brothers, based on obits and census records I found.

Does anyone know if the business Worrell Trawlers Inc was connected to this family? It is listed at the Virginia Secretary of State website but was operated out of Boca Raton. I thought it would be interesting if there was a Florida connection back to all of this.

That is an amazing piece of research. Well written, well thought out and probably one of the most interesting posts I have read in my 11 Months on Webslueths <3

Does anyone know if the business Worrell Trawlers Inc was connected to this family? It is listed at the Virginia Secretary of State website but was operated out of Boca Raton. I thought it would be interesting if there was a Florida connection back to all of this.

The Worrell brothers established the Worrell 1000 sailing race, which had a route from Miami to Virginia Beach. So there's definitely a Florida connection. Not sure about the trawlers, though.

If EDJD was adopted as an infant, her adoptive family may have been from Florida or moved to Florida at some point in her childhood. We don't necessarily need a connection from Florida. Her mom may have even gone to Florida to give birth, perhaps staying with a friend or family member, trying to get as far from Virginia as she could.

If EDJD was adopted as an infant, her adoptive family may have been from Florida or moved to Florida at some point in her childhood. We don't necessarily need a connection from Florida. Her mom may have even gone to Florida to give birth, perhaps staying with a friend or family member, trying to get as far from Virginia as she could.

I wonder if EDJD was given to someone who knew her mother and then ended up in the foster care system or a similar situation. Given how troubled she seemed, it's likely she didn't have a stable childhood and perhaps was bounced around between people who didn't have a vested interest in her well-being. That would explain why she doesn't appear to be a known missing person. If she was given to someone that the mother knew, that could explain how EDJD knew of Worrell Brothers. Perhaps she went to VA to get answers.

I agree we don't necessarily need a connection to Florida but then again we don't necessarily need anything other than her name. EDJD told people she was from there and LE seems to believe it but Florida is a big state and I was just somehow trying to focus on a particular area. Anyway, just a thought.

I agree we don't necessarily need a connection to Florida but then again we don't necessarily need anything other than her name. EDJD told people she was from there and LE seems to believe it but Florida is a big state and I was just somehow trying to focus on a particular area. Anyway, just a thought.
You're right, I was just mentioning for folks who might become bogged down on finding a Florida connection. At this point the only connection we know for sure is Arkansas, for obvious reasons. There are so many possibilities, sadly.

I did a little bit of digging on some of the names in Gloria's obituary. The third daughter listed in the obituary (the one that is not a Shannon) had a letter in a local paper from 2003 stating that she was given up for adoption by a fourteen year old in 1961 (Gloria was 14 in '61) and that she was looking for her birth mother. Gloria and this daughter appear to have reconnected before Gloria died as she was listed in the obituary under her adopted name.

It's not super relevant to EDJD, but tells us that Gloria had given at least one child up for adoption.

I also found her but could not sort her into any family relationship, other than her not being a child of G.s last husband. Well done!

Did LE try to contact any of those known daughters for DNA comparision to EDJD? Or at least look for adoption records, if there was a fourth daughter given for adoption by G.
What a mess... though it seems from the obituary, her (G.) life stabilized a lot in advanced age and she turned it around for the good.

Or maybe it is all a red herring and the known father had more girlfriends than just G. and fathered EDJD with someone else?

I wonder if EDJD was given to someone who knew her mother and then ended up in the foster care system or a similar situation. Given how troubled she seemed, it's likely she didn't have a stable childhood and perhaps was bounced around between people who didn't have a vested interest in her well-being. That would explain why she doesn't appear to be a known missing person. If she was given to someone that the mother knew, that could explain how EDJD knew of Worrell Brothers. Perhaps she went to VA to get answers.

I'm thinking something along those lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298