Identified! AR - El Dorado, Whitehall Motel, WhtFem 18-21, 81UFAR, Jul'91 - #3 - Kelly from VA

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did LE try to contact any of those known daughters for DNA comparision to EDJD?
o
If there's no tangible connection to EDJD and Gloria, I doubt they have contacted the known daughters. The historian's research sounds really solid but at this time, I don't know if that's even on LE radar. Everything we know about her genetic profile only links to the paternal side of the family. Gloria's daughters may have avoided genetic testing deliberately if they knew or had reason to believe they had another sibling out there. My cousins won't do that type of testing because their father fought in Vietnam and they don't want to know if they have a half-sibling out there looking.

o
If there's no tangible connection to EDJD and Gloria, I doubt they have contacted the known daughters. The historian's research sounds really solid but at this time, I don't know if that's even on LE radar. Everything we know about her genetic profile only links to the paternal side of the family. Gloria's daughters may have avoided genetic testing deliberately if they knew or had reason to believe they had another sibling out there. My cousins won't do that type of testing because their father fought in Vietnam and they don't want to know if they have a half-sibling out there looking.

True, but sooner or later a close relative may put their DNA out there, taking the decision out of their hands. That's what happened to me on both sides of my family.

I read the news articles about the fire Gloria's mom and brother died in. Gloria and Dennis claimed they saw the brother letting off fireworks on the porch at 3 in the morning. He was only 10 years old. I thought that was odd that she was outside the house with Dennis and everyone else perished. And I wonder what her husband thought when he read the paper and found out she spent the night with Dennis. Very odd case right there.

I did a little bit of digging on some of the names in Gloria's obituary. The third daughter listed in the obituary (the one that is not a Shannon) had a letter in a local paper from 2003 stating that she was given up for adoption by a fourteen year old in 1961 (Gloria was 14 in '61) and that she was looking for her birth mother. Gloria and this daughter appear to have reconnected before Gloria died as she was listed in the obituary under her adopted name.

It's not super relevant to EDJD, but tells us that Gloria had given at least one child up for adoption.
I read that letter from that daughter to the paper. It lists her birth name at the end and I was confused where that W surname fits in?

This information was given to law enforcement in El Dorado in 2019. LE apparently investigated but either came up with a brick wall, or some other issue, but obviously nothing has come of it. I think there may be value to it.

"Earlier this year it was reported that DNA evidence had uncovered a connection to the Wood family. Recent information is that there may be a connection to Dennis Leroy Layman as a possible father. Dennis was a grandson of the Wood great-grandparents of EDJD. I have found information about a woman he may have had a relationship with in the early 1960’s when they were both married to other people. This woman may be EDJD’s mother—a woman who may not be on your radar because it appears she and Dennis had an affair with each other and if she was pregnant the child may have been adopted.

According to newspaper articles, on July 8, 1964 in Vienna, Virginia, five residents of a 2nd story apartment house were killed by fire. Two of the victims were a 36- year old mother, Elizabeth Worrell and her 10-year old son, Joseph. Mrs. Worrell's 17-year old daughter, Gloria Grubb was spared because she spent the night sleeping in a car parked outside with her friend, Dennis Layman, of Fairfax, VA.

Gloria Grubb had married the previous year as a 16-year old to James Grubb, they divorced in 1968 with no children.

Dennis appears to have still been married to Virginia Marie Smith, who he had two sons with by 1964

It's apparent that Gloria's relationship with her husband was already strained at the time of the fire because she had spent the night with Layman and possibly had a relationship with him.

Layman went on to marry Cheryl Lynn McMurray in 1975 and Gloria went on to marry Jerry Allen Shannon in 1970. They both lived in Virginia. Prior to her marriage to Jerry, Gloria had one daughter Theresa Marie Shannon born September 11, 1968. Subsequently she and Jerry had another daughter, Stacey Shannon born December 23, 1971. Gloria and Jerry divorced in 1976.

Gloria later married Robert Kenyon and was with him until her death in Groton, Connecticut, on July 26, 2013.

As a genealogist and family historian, I would research a path that assumed Gloria may have been pregnant in 1964 and had a baby in either late 1964 or 1965. If Layman was still married, and we know Gloria was still married, the baby may have been given up for adoption. That would explain why the Wood family was unaware of a baby girl.

EDJD may have been aware of these circumstances and may have known that her father married a woman named Cheryl in the 70’s and her mother married a man with the surname Shannon, in the 70’s as well. In my experience young people who take on aliases often have a familiar ‘connection’ name they adopt that is just beyond the names of immediate family members, but close enough that the name feels familiar. EDJD used both Cheryl and Shannon as alias names.

Also police found in EDJDs possession several menus. One menu is from Worrell Brothers restaurant in Virginia Beach. Worrell is the surname of Gloria Grubb. I have not found a direct connection yet between the two families, but I suspect the Worrell Brothers are cousins of Gloria’s family.

Worrell Brothers opened registered the trademark for the menu logo in February 1985.

Phillips Waterside Restaurant opened the first week of June 1983. A food reviewer quoted some prices on the menu. The price of Steamed Shrimp was $5.95, just as on EDJD’s menu, but Waterside coffee was only $2.50, not $3.50 as shown on EDJD’s menu. In December 1985 coffee prices in restaurants peaked, and by January 1986 they started going back down. Coffee peaked again January 1990 and then fell. The fact the food prices stayed the same, on the menu but coffee went up 40% tells me there was possibly a coffee issue soon after the restaurant opened and EDJD may have visited during Christmas 1985. Though, as a transient, I find it hard to believe she kept the menu intact for 6 years."
From an anonymous family historian with no ties to the case other than as a researcher.
Interesting and great research. So I found one of the daughters of this Gloria Kenyon on social media, and all I can say is WOW. Although I guess we have no way of knowing for sure, it literally gave me chills.

Interesting and great research. So I found one of the daughters of this Gloria Kenyon on social media, and all I can say is WOW. Although I guess we have no way of knowing for sure, it literally gave me chills.
I saw who I thought was the adopted out daughter and there are similarities but nothing crazy. Who did you see?

This information was given to law enforcement in El Dorado in 2019. LE apparently investigated but either came up with a brick wall, or some other issue, but obviously nothing has come of it. I think there may be value to it.

"Earlier this year it was reported that DNA evidence had uncovered a connection to the Wood family. Recent information is that there may be a connection to Dennis Leroy Layman as a possible father. Dennis was a grandson of the Wood great-grandparents of EDJD. I have found information about a woman he may have had a relationship with in the early 1960’s when they were both married to other people. This woman may be EDJD’s mother—a woman who may not be on your radar because it appears she and Dennis had an affair with each other and if she was pregnant the child may have been adopted.

According to newspaper articles, on July 8, 1964 in Vienna, Virginia, five residents of a 2nd story apartment house were killed by fire. Two of the victims were a 36- year old mother, Elizabeth Worrell and her 10-year old son, Joseph. Mrs. Worrell's 17-year old daughter, Gloria Grubb was spared because she spent the night sleeping in a car parked outside with her friend, Dennis Layman, of Fairfax, VA.

Gloria Grubb had married the previous year as a 16-year old to James Grubb, they divorced in 1968 with no children.

Dennis appears to have still been married to Virginia Marie Smith, who he had two sons with by 1964

It's apparent that Gloria's relationship with her husband was already strained at the time of the fire because she had spent the night with Layman and possibly had a relationship with him.

Layman went on to marry Cheryl Lynn McMurray in 1975 and Gloria went on to marry Jerry Allen Shannon in 1970. They both lived in Virginia. Prior to her marriage to Jerry, Gloria had one daughter Theresa Marie Shannon born September 11, 1968. Subsequently she and Jerry had another daughter, Stacey Shannon born December 23, 1971. Gloria and Jerry divorced in 1976.

Gloria later married Robert Kenyon and was with him until her death in Groton, Connecticut, on July 26, 2013.

As a genealogist and family historian, I would research a path that assumed Gloria may have been pregnant in 1964 and had a baby in either late 1964 or 1965. If Layman was still married, and we know Gloria was still married, the baby may have been given up for adoption. That would explain why the Wood family was unaware of a baby girl.

EDJD may have been aware of these circumstances and may have known that her father married a woman named Cheryl in the 70’s and her mother married a man with the surname Shannon, in the 70’s as well. In my experience young people who take on aliases often have a familiar ‘connection’ name they adopt that is just beyond the names of immediate family members, but close enough that the name feels familiar. EDJD used both Cheryl and Shannon as alias names.

Also police found in EDJDs possession several menus. One menu is from Worrell Brothers restaurant in Virginia Beach. Worrell is the surname of Gloria Grubb. I have not found a direct connection yet between the two families, but I suspect the Worrell Brothers are cousins of Gloria’s family.

Worrell Brothers opened registered the trademark for the menu logo in February 1985.

Phillips Waterside Restaurant opened the first week of June 1983. A food reviewer quoted some prices on the menu. The price of Steamed Shrimp was $5.95, just as on EDJD’s menu, but Waterside coffee was only $2.50, not $3.50 as shown on EDJD’s menu. In December 1985 coffee prices in restaurants peaked, and by January 1986 they started going back down. Coffee peaked again January 1990 and then fell. The fact the food prices stayed the same, on the menu but coffee went up 40% tells me there was possibly a coffee issue soon after the restaurant opened and EDJD may have visited during Christmas 1985. Though, as a transient, I find it hard to believe she kept the menu intact for 6 years."
From an anonymous family historian with no ties to the case other than as a researcher.

Do you guys know if they've contacted Gloria's daughters? This is very exciting, it's the closest we've ever been to find out who she was.

The theory is certainly intriguing and valid. We know the father, so the mother can not be far...

Only thing that makes me wonder is if Gloria was married in 1964 and only divorced in 1968, wouldnt any baby of hers born during the marriage be automatically registered as child of her husband? Even if they were estranged and even if she said the child is not from him and even if the child was given for adoption. Still, the usual practice was to put the mothers husbands name as father in the birth records.

Also, because I know some states have that, would it be possible to check adoption files or birth records if Gloria had any children prior to her second marriage and adopted them out?

The theory is certainly intriguing and valid. We know the father, so the mother can not be far...

Only thing that makes me wonder is if Gloria was married in 1964 and only divorced in 1968, wouldnt any baby of hers born during the marriage be automatically registered as child of her husband? Even if they were estranged and even if she said the child is not from him and even if the child was given for adoption. Still, the usual practice was to put the mothers husbands name as father in the birth records.

Also, because I know some states have that, would it be possible to check adoption files or birth records if Gloria had any children prior to her second marriage and adopted them out?
It would depend on several factors. What type of Agency the adoption was done through, state adoption laws, if the mother used her real name or alias and if she provided correct or false father information (remember, things were different back then, you didn't always need to provide identification, they took you at your word.)
A cousin of mine was adopted and in our state was allowed to get her records as an adult. Unfortunately, her biological mother falsified most of the record. She did finally find her, through DNA and family tree research. Her mother at the time of her birth, was underage and had gotten pregnant by a married man, so she felt she had no choice but to be deceptive. They do have an awesome relationship now though!

If the husband was aware of an affair and a subsequent pregnancy, he may have demanded she 'do something about it'—whether that was abortion or adoption.

THE

3 GIRLS KIDNAPPED IN FORT WORTH 1974
Although it’s possible she knew them, I think this is a case of he said she said. I take it with a grain of salt considering the source. Wouldn’t that be something though!

McAlphin also claimed Mercedes “grew up friends” with three girls kidnapped from a Fort Worth mall in the 1970s.

On the left hand side is a yearbook photo of Edith Marie Blevins, sister of Estella May Blevins. On the right is, of course, El Dorado Jane Doe. Those two look so, so much alike. EDJD also resembles Ruth Darline Blevins, another sister of Estella. Unfortunately, there is no yearbook photo of Estella to make a comparison. Estella only completed 9th grade. There is definitely a resemblance between El Dorado Jane Doe and the Blevins sisters. I think that is where the maternal line is, but descendants of the Blevins are perhaps refusing to test their DNA???

Attachments

• 1603337228670_841977121.jpg
    1603337228670_841977121.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 193
This is a photo comparison between Ruth Darline Blevins, sister of Estella May Blevins, and El Dorado Jane Doe. Quite a resemblance there, too. I can't help but think the maternal line of El Dorado Jane Doe is with the Blevins family.

Attachments

• IMG_20210613_182511.jpg
    IMG_20210613_182511.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20210613_182704.jpg
    IMG_20210613_182704.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 111
On the left hand side is a yearbook photo of Edith Marie Blevins, sister of Estella May Blevins. On the right is, of course, El Dorado Jane Doe. Those two look so, so much alike. EDJD also resembles Ruth Darline Blevins, another sister of Estella. Unfortunately, there is no yearbook photo of Estella to make a comparison. Estella only completed 9th grade. There is definitely a resemblance between El Dorado Jane Doe and the Blevins sisters. I think that is where the maternal line is, but descendants of the Blevins are perhaps refusing to test their DNA???

WOW. The resemblance is very strong. Similar nose, mouth, and face shape, plus Edith appears to have light colored eyes like EDJD does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298