GUILTY AR - Malik Drummond, 2, Searcy, 23 Nov 2014 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Summary of press conference with typos corrected:

Malik Drummond / Press Conference / Wednesday 3:30pm

"Just to clear up what the search has entailed...

Extensive ground search, approx 40 officers...

That night we used bloodhounds, dogs a team from Memphis, responded to alert from NCMEC.

Worked for 4 hours, didn't pick up scent.

Have used canines since that time.

The morning after, we moved our command center from PD to St. Mary's Episcopal Church, volunteers have checked in there, organized, assigned, searched extensive area.

It was reported that he wandered off, so since the beginning we have focused on that....Monday, sheriff searched w/ helicopter...bubble top helicopter not equipped w infer red...the drain ditches, sewer system (water company/missed it) has all been thoroughly searched, cameras...abandoned houses searched...

Completed a grid search...

Yesterday conducted thorough research w LE/NCMEC who arrived from OKC

Multiple canines used---tracking, bloodhounds, cadaver.

The purpose to get you guys together is to address status, where we are now...critical point at finding this child.

We've exhausted ourselves in this effort.

Volunteers have been remarkable in their concern.

(audio keeps cutting out)

Statistically...NCMEC are experts...says child (ages) 1 to 3 will be found within 1.2 miles 95 percent of the time...volunteers have covered the whole city...covered 4 miles in each direction...still continue to extend our search w resources such as K9s.

We will search until we find this boy.

...weather...elements...haven't been very good for child who is out there, and the community of course has joined our frustration, and that's understandable...we have moved our command center in the evening time after dark, usually 8 or 9 o'clock.

We are/we did extend our search from looking for not only a missing child but (audio cuts out).

A lot of information has come in, all has been checked out and followed up on...didn't gather you to discuss investigative effort...a lot of false leads..(sighting in Illinois)...

We need to find this boy and we need to find him soon.

Will still take volunteers...will find an area for them to search...that area eventually will run out, being candid..statistics...a lot of questions..a lot of theories..a lot of opinions...we have our own theories and opinions just like everyone else...I assure the public we are investigating every possible scenario and investigating them thoroughly...

..City effort, County, State, National effort, any notion that we were scaling back is false, shutting down is false, ...NCMEC on their way now, search for this boy is just as urgent now as when we found out he was missing...this is all we have worked on, this is priority one and will continue to be.

Taking questions:

Q:
A: ...Standard procedure to polygraph family members.

This story hasn't changed that the boy wandered off, are we looking into anything else, yes...any reasonable person would assume that if he wandered off we would have found him by now...(disclaimer)i would have expected to find him by now.

Homes in the area that know him and don't know him have been looked at?

You guys find anything? unfortunately no.

Volunteers for something like this is great, I think its at the point (don't misunderstand what I'm about to say)...in the beginning helpful, but at the point now, its only responsible we rely on the trained searchers and experts in the area and resources, that's not to say you're not appreciated bc thats not the case...the boy is still out there.

Will search expand out of city?

We have followed up on leads (outside of city).

Q: ...Twin sister was there...?

A: ...child safety interview...(also) an older sibling who wasn't there at the time (has been interviewed), we have covered that avenue, yes.

We have been able to get info, but unfortunately don't think it was relevant to search.

(Today)We've been sending our last teams out, about 4:00, and usually when they return from that area its well after dark...we move our command center back to pd.

... reflective clothing, flashlights...

Searched that area thoroghly..my belief is he is not in that area...k9s, trained experts, literally crawled under every crawlspace, every hole a 2 1/2 year old...Im convinced he's not in the area.

Guys, I hope this will clear up misinfo and confusion.

..Holding public prayer service, inviting everyone, never a bad time to pray, time where prayers were needed, appreciate you guys, nothing has changed, appreciate your patience, thank you."

(PC over).

Hands of an angel, Margarita dear. Thank you very very much for transcribing the PC.

Brilliant transcribe, although I watched it still good to read it all back, i always find American press conferences to be so warm & informative, also they answer lots of questions! Here in scotland / UK it's a different story, all very hush hush and cagey!

His phone ringing through it made me
Jump, I wonder if it was important!

Does anyone remember the press conference early on? I clearly recall LE saying during the presser that the call came in at 6:30 pm. I also believe he said that the parents found him missing at 5:45? Is there a transcript anywhere that anyone knows of?

I just went and listened to that press conference (when I thought I was watching today's, oops) and typed up the relevant information. This comes directly from Jeremy Clark, Chief of Police in Searcy:

“Yesterday, at approximately 6:30, Searcy Police Department received a call from 710 West Park here in Searcy reporting a lost child. We arrived and learned this: a two and a half year old male child, Malik Drummond, reportedly to be autistic, had wandered off from the residence approximately 45 minutes prior to our being called. There were already several neighbors in the area that were out looking.”

BBM. So this makes it sound like they did discover he was gone by 5:30 and then waited about 45 minutes before calling, which surprises me. I would expect that call to be made much more quickly, especially since they state they thought he went outside on his own at dusk.

Taken from this conference: http://www.kait8.com/category/240189/video?clipId=10884523&autostart=true

I think the timing sounds just about right, actually. This is a little kid..........he wandered off.........they are going to conduct their own search prior to calling the cops in. I can see that easily taking 20-30 minutes......which isn't really all that long.

Keep in mind, there are a whole lot of people out there that really don't like calling the cops for any reason, and they would do it only as a last resort.

I've searched for my dogs longer than 45 minutes before.........and never dreamed of calling anybody for help while I was doing it.

Had it been 4, 5, 6 hours.....? ......yeah, now that would raise an eyebrow.

Margarita you rock :takeabow::tyou: I missed the beginning but couldn't hear it very well either, you must have great hearing, or great speakers lol

(Whaaaat?!
Haha, great speakers (BOSE), definitely not great hearing!!!)

(eta: I had those speakers cranked up ALL THE WAY and still could barely hear! )

Keep in mind, there are a whole lot of people out there that really don't like calling the cops for any reason, and they would do it only as a last resort.

I've searched for my dogs longer than 45 minutes before.........and never dreamed of calling anybody for help while I was doing it.

I think the first part is a great point. Definitely many who are skeptical of LE and/or worried about coming under scrutiny even if they've done nothing wrong; I didn't think about that at first.

Personally, though, I don't think I could go more than 10 -15 minutes without calling the cops if my toddler was not clearly in my house or in my yard. I've seen how fast and fearless he is and would want to limit his range as much as possible. Certainly couldn't have waited as long as you searched for your dogs when it comes to my little one, though I have looked for animals that long. (My apologies to pet lovers for whom there may be no distinction between children and pets! :D )

I have been looking for FB pages related to this case but other than a couple news stations, I have been unsuccessful. If allowed here, could someone please post links for FB pages that may be beneficial? Thanks in advance.

I just went and listened to that press conference (when I thought I was watching today's, oops) and typed up the relevant information. This comes directly from Jeremy Clark, Chief of Police in Searcy:

“Yesterday, at approximately 6:30, Searcy Police Department received a call from 710 West Park here in Searcy reporting a lost child. We arrived and learned this: a two and a half year old male child, Malik Drummond, reportedly to be autistic, had wandered off from the residence approximately 45 minutes prior to our being called. There were already several neighbors in the area that were out looking.”

BBM. So this makes it sound like they did discover he was gone by 5:30 and then waited about 45 minutes before calling, which surprises me. I would expect that call to be made much more quickly, especially since they state they thought he went outside on his own at dusk.

Taken from this conference: http://www.kait8.com/category/240189/video?clipId=10884523&autostart=true

Thanks! Good to know my memory still serves me well.............somtimes! :blushing:

I think the timing sounds just about right, actually. This is a little kid..........he wandered off.........they are going to conduct their own search prior to calling the cops in. I can see that easily taking 20-30 minutes......which isn't really all that long.

Had it been 4, 5, 6 hours.....? ......yeah, now that would raise an eyebrow.

BBM: I have given this a lot of thought myself. I came to the conclusion that if this had happened when my kids were older, I would probably search around home a bit, check with neighbors and friends before calling the police. But at 2? I would search the house thoroughly, look outside and if I couldn't find him, I would call in the CALVARY (LE) as soon as my fingers could reach for my phone.

On one of the 1st news report vids ,showing the house... did everyone catch there seems to be a white looking camper/trailer next to the house....now to find that vid again

BBM: I have given this a lot of thought myself. I came to the conclusion that if this had happened when my kids were older, I would probably search around home a bit, check with neighbors and friends before calling the police. But at 2? I would search the house thoroughly, look outside and if I couldn't find him, I would call in the CALVARY (LE) as soon as my fingers could reach for my phone.

Yes, exactly! If nothing else, I would worry about the types of dangers that an older child would be wary of but that my toddler simply wouldn't appreciate ... like darting into the street in front of an unsuspecting driver.

I don't see how a parent could wait so long to call in a 2.5 year old missing. I just don't. I can see a father taking a little longer to call than a mother, but not 45 minutes. The time it takes to run through the house the first two times looking for them (2 min), running outside yelling their name while visually combing the surroundings (2 min), then back inside tearing the place apart looking in any place screaming their name (2 min), running back around outside doing the same and running to the neighbors (4 min) would not take that long . . . not in someone who is panicking and looking for their two-year-old.

The times I've listed are estimates, but even doubled, tripled or quadrupled, they're not 45 minutes.

Maybe the parents/stepparent did not feel this panic or urgency, but I don't see how. . . not at night and not with a kid already scared of loud noises. It was already dark at the approximate time he went missing.

As far as not calling someone after 45 minutes of looking for a pet, it's just not the same. There is a whole different level of panic and hysteria that sets in within minutes of not finding your two-year-old.

Yep, I'd search every room in my house, every closet, under every bed, the garage, back yard, front yard, car... which would probably take no more than 10 minutes, tops. Then I'd be on the phone with 911. I can't figure why it took 45 minutes to notify LE once they knew he wasn't where he was supposed to be. I've seen pics of that house, there's no way it took them 45 minutes to look inside & out.

That being said, I know every parent does things differently for different reasons, and these parents are still victims. I cannot EVEN begin to imagine how insane I'd be, especially after this long :(

On one of the 1st news report vids ,showing the house... did everyone catch there seems to be a white looking camper/trailer next to the house....now to find that vid again

I'll have to look again. What I realized today... the house is a semi-detached. I thought I saw in a photo that theirs was the house on the right. But today they said the house is number 110. That's the house on the left.

And I know I will probably get banned but having a look on the bio-mothers fb page & she is sharing pictures of all sorts of strange things, along with hooded tops to buy etc. some1 has wrote under a particular pic regarding race of a child which says 'my mommy white, my daddy black, they created me how could you hate that' pic she shared and I quote...

'Naw hold up, I love the pic and sayn but I'm a lil confused tho. Is ur son still missing or not and if he is why are u on fb sharing pic like this like I would think finding ur child would be a lot more important juz sayin'

Bio-mum:- He is still missing its because of the race and im going through alot

Indeed you are but on fb, sharing pictures etc. Nah! Anyways if yous all have time have a look on the fb, shows the family in true drama light even admiting that they are 'dysfunctional' arguing in comments back and forth which I'm sure was meantioned as a rumour up-thread!

NOT in anyway blaming the mother just rather showing her frame of mind!

Step-mom gets out of tub to check on dinner...asks twin "where is your brother?"

She points to the screen door.

Did step-mom wake up Dad???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members