Are there other victims?

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Okay, this did it for me. That's the closest I've ever seen a composite drawing look like the actual suspect. He's a dead ringer. I believe Garrido did snatch Michaela. He also told Katie Callaway he'd kidnapped a girl from the Bay Area...

sorry if this is a repeat question, but can the girl who did the original sketch look at the old photos???:confused::confused:

Expanding the search to NV:

Shantelle Hudson, Dayton, NV (4 hours from Antioch) http://charleyproject.org/cases/h/hudson_shantelle.html WENT MISSING 4 DAYS BEFORE MICHAELA

Very interesting, phylliym. Dayton, NV is 38-45 southeast of Reno. Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=reno,+nv+to+dayton,+nv&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=31.646818,78.837891&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=10.

Garrido was paroled to the Oakland halfway house 8/27/1998. Kathryn Hall said he went back to South Lake Tahoe and confronted her once, in November 1998. Shantelle Hudson went missing from a rural Nevada city on November 15, 1998. Michaela was kidnapped November 19, 1998 from Hayward, an area about 15 miles south of Oakland. Garrido had to have returned to the Oakland halfway house that month; Hall said she called to find out where he was.

As I've added to the Timeline, what was he using for transportation at the time?

The timeline does fit. He was released in Aug.1988. Was living in Oakland at a half way house then. 15 miles north of where Michaela was taken. The car had front end damage. So did the one the LE took. He also could have used a wig.

Very interesting! I did not know that!

The timeline does fit. He was released in Aug.1988. Was living in Oakland at a half way house then. 15 miles north of where Michaela was taken. The car had front end damage. So did the one the LE took. He also could have used a wig.

He also could have had longer hair. Most of the pics we have of him are mug shots. And the prison mugshots he would have his prison haircut and no facial hair.

When he was out, who knows whether he had facial hair or long or short hair? He wears his hair short now, but I don't know when he began wearing it short. Also after doing a crime, after a suspect composite is printed, many suspects will change their hair styles or facial hair.

I'm not sure if this picture will post, but it is a very clear shot circa 1988 (the mug shot.)
How does this 1988 date relate to the date of Michaela's kidnapping? Could it be after? If so that is a good reason to cut one's hair, no?

His skin does not look acne ridden or particularly pock marked but I can see a little bit of pocking. I don't have experience with this but a friend of mine was mugged and she said she felt stupid because all she could say to distinguish the guy who did it was that he had a sweatshirt with "a really big zipper" - basically I guess you might focus in on something that isn't particularly the defining characteristic.
snn0518-380_882276a.jpg

I'm not sure if this picture will post, but it is a very clear shot circa 1988 (the mug shot.)
How does this 1988 date relate to the date of Michaela's kidnapping? Could it be after? If so that is a good reason to cut one's hair, no?

His skin does not look acne ridden or particularly pock marked but I can see a little bit of pocking. I don't have experience with this but a friend of mine was mugged and she said she felt stupid because all she could say to distinguish the guy who did it was that he had a sweatshirt with "a really big zipper" - basically I guess you might focus in on something that isn't particularly the defining characteristic.
snn0518-380_882276a.jpg

This photo was taken on January 22, 1988 when Garrido was booked into Nevade state prison after his transfer from federal custody in Leavenworth. The smaller picture in the bottom right corner was taken in 1976, after his arrest in Reno.
Garrido served only seven months of a life sentence in Nevada (!) for the sexual assault in Reno and was released in August, 1988. Michaela was abducted in November, 1988.

I see some acne on the right side of his face, and a "pockmarked" neck. Also, look at the bumps showing through his mustache. They're pretty sizable. The witness to Michaela's kidnapping (I think her little friend?) described a man with a pockmarked face. I read a story (need to find the link, however) that this witness, now a grown woman, thinks the getaway car was the same one that LE towed from Garrido's property.

Found it!

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/08/31/crimesider/entry5277707.shtml?tag=contentMain;contentBody

Sharon Nemeth Murch says that when her nine-year-old daughter Michaela Garecht was taken in broad daylight in Nov. 1988, her daughter's friend Trina watched in horror and witnessed the get-away-car which she described as "large, boxy, square-ish sedan, the color was tannish-gold."

Hayward Police Investigator Rob Lampkin, who remains the local lead on Michaela's case, said the gray car found in on Garrido's property does match the description Trina gave years ago although not in color. But he cautioned that the description could match many cars.

Twenty years later, Trina saw authorities recover a gray sedan from Phillip Garrido’s Antioch, Calif., backyard on television and called Murch to tell her.

This photo was taken on January 22, 1988 when Garrido was booked into Nevade state prison after his transfer from federal custody in Leavenworth. The smaller picture in the bottom right corner was taken in 1976, after his arrest in Reno.
Garrido served only seven months of a life sentence in Nevada (!) for the sexual assault in Reno and was released in August, 1988. Michaela was abducted in November, 1988.

I see some acne on the right side of his face, and a "pockmarked" neck. Also, look at the bumps showing through his mustache. They're pretty sizable. The witness to Michaela's kidnapping (I think her little friend?) described a man with a pockmarked face. I read a story (need to find the link, however) that this witness, now a grown woman, thinks the getaway car was the same one that LE towed from Garrido's property.

Speaking from my own experience. If the shot is from Jan.1988. He could grow his hiar the lentgh of what the witness saw when Michael was taken. I tried growing my hiar for Locks for Love.. I went from 1 inch to almost 10 in Nine months. And mine is curly.

Opps/ Sorry.

: )

ETA - I posted something that had to do with a completely different case and as such, removed it - sorry.

I've had some worrisome thoughts about this guy having some child or young woman stored in a shed in another location. What if he has someone locked up somewhere and they need help or food and water. I know LE surely has checked to see and questioned, but they don't have a very good track record with this case. The rapist claims to not have touched the girls, but his ex has told how sexually crazy he is and violent. I just don't believe that these girls are his only latest victims. He wouldn't be satisfied with just his little forced make believe family in his backyard. If he didn't molest the younger girls, then he would not have changed and could go back and forth between harming children or women.

I've had some worrisome thoughts about this guy having some child or young woman stored in a shed in another location. What if he has someone locked up somewhere and they need help or food and water. I know LE surely has checked to see and questioned, but they don't have a very good track record with this case. The rapist claims to not have touched the girls, but his ex has told how sexually crazy he is and violent. I just don't believe that these girls are his only latest victims. He wouldn't be satisfied with just his little forced make believe family in his backyard. If he didn't molest the younger girls, then he would not have changed and could go back and forth between harming children or women.

I've thought about this as well. Pedophiles don't just stop being pedophiles and rapists don't just stop raping.

HE thought GOD healed him, or at least that's what I think he thought based upon reading his manifesto and blog rantings.

He is 54, and if at some point in the last 10 years (54-10=44 years old) he actually stopped having the urge to commit such acts it could possibly have been a combination of things like starting a new medication (some blood pressure meds cause some men to lack a sex drive) and age or illness.

If this did actually happen, then thank goodness - perhaps both girls were spared from horrible abuse. I pray it was so.

All of these people and government agencies that are supposed to there to protect us aren't there. They are BOGUS stoopid azzed individuals who don't even have a friggin' degree and they're dictated by stoopid azzzed bureaucratic protocol that panders to the guilty. If this case doesn't make this obvious, I don't know what does!

MOO

The Reno Gazette Journal also recently interviewed Donna Lass's sister in regards to a possible connection. There's also information on when he moved to the South Lake Tahoe/ Western Nevada area and why.

Garrido in Reno when Tahoe woman vanished in 1970

The sister of a 25-year-old woman who was abducted from South Lake Tahoe in 1970 said she wonders if the suspect in the 1991 kidnapping of Jaycee Lee Dugard is connected to the 39-year-old mystery.
http://www.rgj.com/article/20090831/NEWS/90831044&OAS_sitepage=news.rgj.com%2Fbreakingnews

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/lass_donna.html

Donna Ann Lass... above is her charley project page. She got a mysterious phone call and told a tall tale about a family emergency.. they never id'd the phone caller (and there was no family emergency)..

JDB, is it reported somewhere that he was living in an Oakland half way house after his August 1988 release? If so, I should add this detail to the Timeline.

Yes, Ms. Callaway was his 1976 victim, the one he went to prison for. Michaela was abducted in 1988.

Yes it was in the San Jose Merc either yesterday or the day before.

I found that information in an article from the Sacramento News10 folks. It was a few days ago.
Sorry, I didn't note the link, but this is what it said:
"News10 has learned Garrido was paroled from the Nevada State Prison in Carson City in August 1988 and was taken directly to a halfway house in Oakland, then later to live with his mother in Antioch."

I looked back through the thread and this old article was not posted. It also mentions the proximity of the halfway house.

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_13248853?source=yahooNewsML

The cars in both cases are also similar, a large sedan. And in 1988, Garrido reportedly was living in a halfway house in Oakland, a short drive from the Hayward store where Michaela was pulled into a car after going to the store with a friend.

With a criminal this twisted, anything's possible.

Cops are poring over the files of numerous unsolved murders and abductions in northern Nevada to see if the man who snatched Jaycee Lee Dugard 18 years ago and made her his sex slave might be linked to them.

Among the cases investigators are looking at are the murders of a brother and sister who disappeared in 1989 -- two years before "Creepy Phil" Garrido and his wife snatched Dugard near Lake Tahoe.

"There might not be any link between the cases and him, but we'd be crazy not to look at the possibility," said Reno police Lt. Mike Whan.

Jennifer and Charles Chia were abducted on the 100-yard walk from the bus stop to their home in Reno. The remains of the 6- and 7-year-olds were found nine months later about 60 miles to the northwest in California.

Whan said cops were specifically looking at cases around 1976 -- when Garrido was arrested for abducting a woman near Lake Tahoe and taking her to Reno, where he raped her for hours -- and in the years after he was released from prison in 1988.

Investigators also were looking at the abduction and murder of 7-year-old Monica DaSilva, who was taken from her bedroom in Reno in 1990. Her remains were found three weeks later east of town.

Dugard was taken from outside her house in 1991 when she was 11 and was held for the next 18 years, during which Garrido repeatedly raped her and impregnated her twice with daughters who are now 11 and 15.

"During that time period, we had those child-abduction cases and since then, we haven't had any," Whan noted. "Kind of interesting."

The woman Garrido assaulted in 1976, Katherine Callaway Hall, told cops he talked about abducting two other girls -- one from the San Francisco Bay area and the other possibly in Las Vegas.

South Lake Tahoe, Calif., police said they were reviewing the unsolved murder of a 17-year-old who was killed the same year Hall was attacked.

"Anything is possible with this guy," Whan said. "This guy would be a better suspect than others based on the prior crimes he has committed."

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/monster_eyed_in_kid_slays_oVm4l8l8zKR4XR0qfeuRCK

image5288631x.jpg

From a crime blog, a reader makes an interesting comment:

"Lets talk the truth… The killer was in a white late 70s truck.. I was the witness and believe me when i tell you that I am pretty sure it was phillip garrido and the detectives are looking into it…."

By: Dawn on August 31, 2009
at 7:51 pm

http://mylifeofcrime.wordpress.com/...d-jennifer-chia-murders-101894-approximately/

Interesting! I wonder if this woman is telling the truth about being a witness (because there are, as far as I can find, no witnesses of the actual abduction) It's possible she was a neighbor who saw a suspicious car and believed it to be the killer's, or that she saw the car drive away shortly after the suspected time of the abduction.

While I do believe that PG is responsible for the Chia and DaSilva murders, I don't know if I would trust her on this. Witness recall is patchy at best, especially 20 years after a reported crime.

image5288631x.jpg

From a crime blog, a reader makes an interesting comment:

"Lets talk the truth… The killer was in a white late 70s truck.. I was the witness and believe me when i tell you that I am pretty sure it was phillip garrido and the detectives are looking into it…."

By: Dawn on August 31, 2009
at 7:51 pm

http://mylifeofcrime.wordpress.com/...d-jennifer-chia-murders-101894-approximately/

I don't know where PG stayed when in Reno, after his release from the halfway house, but I would think he would return to familiar surroundings. I found it interesting that his old residence on 1855 Market St. (at the time of 1976 rape- according to the police report ) is only 3.9 miles from the Chia childrens' apt. on 800 Redfield Parkway.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sou...98,-119.790459&spn=0.053236,0.153637&t=h&z=13

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m_ks
Back