Armchair Psych discussion of Jodi Arias

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this isn't going to be a popular opinion, but...

A family member of mine was diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder. She was awful to live with but everyone who didn't live with her loved her & couldn't understand when the family decided not to have anything else to do with her. She eventually married another narcissist. When a narcissist gets involved with another narcissist, things get nasty...the hurt each other over & over again for kicks & to one up another. One of them is gonna "win" by hurting the other immensely. When two narcissists get together, it almost always ends up in the death or extreme excuse of one by the other (the "more" narcissistic of the two will "win).

I think Travis may also have had some narcissistic qualities based on the business he was in (pyramid scheme - he apparently felt no guilt about that as he made thousands of dollars off of the people below him?), thought very highly of himself (at least to the outside world), lied constantly as far as the whole not-having-sex/good Mormon thing (essentially much of his life was a lie...my Mormon friends take that much more seriously than friends of any other religion do), and the ways he used (notice I didn't say abused) Jodi. It seems to me like had "a touch" of narcissism but she was the bigger narcissist....and she ended up "winning" the battle between the two of them in her eyes (a battle that included attempting to control & manipulate one another) by killing him.

I am NOT saying Travis deserved to be killed. I'm not saying he had NPD. I'm saying he seems to have some qualities of a narcissist. Jodi couldn't control/manipulate him how she was used to because he could play the game she was playing. But in the end, the "stronger" narcissist (or truer narcissist?) couldn't take it. She couldn't be beat at her own game and had to exert ultimate control over him by killing him.
Yes, you have worded this well, and I think it's fairly obvious that TA would not have become involved with JA in the way he did, had he not had some narcissistic traits. TA was not modest in his aspirations and as a motivational speaker was definitely not someone content to be in the background.

The "law of attraction" is a 2-edged sword. I am sure it was not accident that they got together. It is tragic that it ended as it did for TA, who did not deserve it.

With TA and JA, two swords clashed, and it became a brutal contest of wills.

A family member of mine was diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder. She was awful to live with but everyone who didn't live with her loved her & couldn't understand when the family decided not to have anything else to do with her. She eventually married another narcissist. When a narcissist gets involved with another narcissist, things get nasty...the hurt each other over & over again for kicks & to one up another. One of them is gonna "win" by hurting the other immensely. When two narcissists get together, it almost always ends up in the death or extreme excuse of one by the other (the "more" narcissistic of the two will "win).

I think Travis may also have had some narcissistic qualities based on the business he was in (pyramid scheme - he apparently felt no guilt about that as he made thousands of dollars off of the people below him?), thought very highly of himself (at least to the outside world), lied constantly as far as the whole not-having-sex/good Mormon thing (essentially much of his life was a lie...my Mormon friends take that much more seriously than friends of any other religion do), and the ways he used (notice I didn't say abused) Jodi. It seems to me like had "a touch" of narcissism but she was the bigger narcissist....and she ended up "winning" the battle between the two of them in her eyes (a battle that included attempting to control & manipulate one another) by killing him.

I am NOT saying Travis deserved to be killed. I'm not saying he had NPD. I'm saying he seems to have some qualities of a narcissist. Jodi couldn't control/manipulate him how she was used to because he could play the game she was playing. But in the end, the "stronger" narcissist (or truer narcissist?) couldn't take it. She couldn't be beat at her own game and had to exert ultimate control over him by killing him.

I completely agree

don't ALL of us have some degree of narcissism? i mean some of it healthy, right-? to think highly of yourself is a good thing. i think anyone who gets up on stage to tell jokes or "motivate" or entertain people has to have a lot of narcissistic tendencies. i think i read somewhere all politicians are narcissists. i could no more get up on stage and tell jokes to entertain people than i could fly to the moon. yet i have a degree of self confidence and poise and i can speak in front of groups about things i know about. i am not afraid to speak my mind. i'm also realistic and i know my shortcomings and i don't have an inflated ego. i would never want to run for office or be in politics.

don't ALL of us have some degree of narcissism? i mean some of it healthy, right-? to think highly of yourself is a good thing. i think anyone who gets up on stage to tell jokes or "motivate" or entertain people has to have a lot of narcissistic tendencies. i think i read somewhere all politicians are narcissists. i could no more get up on stage and tell jokes to entertain people than i could fly to the moon. yet i have a degree of self confidence and poise and i can speak in front of groups about things i know about. i am not afraid to speak my mind. i'm also realistic and i know my shortcomings and i don't have an inflated ego. i would never want to run for office or be in politics.

There's narcissism, which most of us have a degree of. Then there is Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Two different beasts.

Travis was a bit of a narcissist, but it doesn't mean he had NPD.

Right, it's not just that they lie. Everyone lies. It's the degree with which they lie, what they lie about, and how damn sincere they sound when lying. You brought up Ted Bundy before I could because that's exactly who I was going to mention. Watch the video of him, I think the night before his execution, where he's talking to James Dobson about how *advertiser censored* led him to kill. Listen how sincere and emotional he sounds. Watch the tears he's able to effortlessly dredge up. IMHO, Bundy was way better at pretending to be human than Jodi. You can't help but want to like the guy even though he's completely psychotic. You look at Jodi, and it's obvious there is a distinct disconnect. Her emotions seem fake, to where you can tell they're feigned. She thinks her lies sounds very good and logical ("smile and say cheese") when in reality they sound very disturbed and disconnected. She can't even maintain her charade for long. Watch her with Nurmi then watch her with Martinez. She was a whole different person. That was the real Jodi. It's also obvious that she feel not one shred of remorse for the pain she's caused and for what she did to Travis. Not one. That is psychotic. Normal people don't kill people they love then move on all hunky dory with their lives.

Also, I don't think anyone is going to read that article and take it as fact. I think as discerning adults we all know that this person has not treated or met Jodi but merely observed her, so we know to take what she says as her expert opinion. But it is completely in line with how I see her. I think any good psychologist can tell she is ASPD. I think even Samuels knows that.

Thanks MeeBee :takeabow: :goodpost:

I agree completely :)

wow i did not know keith ablow did such a nasty thing. shame on him for that. but i don't think it invalidates all his writing and I have learned a lot from reading what he's written.

But...isn't he a 'clinician in the field?' :banghead:

(bolded by me to address these points)...

I'm not sure who you are addressing here about the hallmarks of lying and it doesn't appear you know who you are addressing either?

You guessed wrong. You also know nothing about my life or who I've met. Don't turn this personally against me.

Being a clinician in 'the field' does not mean that no one can never disagree with that point of view. I have worked with people who've held this belief and they stagnate progress.

It is your opinion.

You can have two well respected cardiologists look at the same ekg and they will have differing opinions. Just because someone puts their blog on the internet doesn't mean I have to swallow it hook line and sinker or turn off my own ability to think or set aside my own ability to read that article and say, "Hey wait a minute I don't think this is well written."
We should never give up our critical thinking skills or our ability to reason, even as we grant some degree of expertise or training to those we read or converse with.

Anyone who has been up against doctors who were very poor diagnosticians or therapists or academics who were grossly and flagrantly wrong in applied ethics, or means/ends reasoning, etc. will attest to this.

There is a sad but beautiful ballet that depicts what can happen to a Narcissist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissus_(mythology)

Also there is a well known painting by Salvador Dali. Metamorphosis of Narcissus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The description provided by the Mayo Clinic suggests that underneath the narcissistic personality may lie a fragile self-esteem.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/narcissistic-personality-disorder/DS00652/DSECTION=symptoms

Within the Mayo link - a person who often monopolizes conversations, has to have the best of everything as in the best car and be part of the best social circles, is overly sensitive to criticism and often reacts in ways that belittle others who don't share their own elevated view of theirself.

From what I know, I'm not sure JA fits this description. She's been described as 'weird'. One woman said that JA was difficult to engage in conversation so JA just sat there and they didn't talk much.

Narcissistic people have a very fragile self esteem, all the 'superiority' and grandiosity emanates from that and is all a 'false self' none of it is real. Any major challenge to that fragile esteem can result in narcissistic rage. They hate being challenged. They are basically 3 year old temper tantrums, in the body of an adult.
I don't think they know what their 'best interest' is, because it comes from early damage in which 'trauma' is all they know. They miss out in the crucial development of empathy.
They use it to good effect to control manipulate and deny. They adore the vulnerable, so they can have a bit of exploitative fun at their victims expense. The 'fun' is them trying to fill in that massive big hole of emptiness they have by being charming, funny, seductive with very blurred boundaries, they engage in these behaviours to gather together people who will feed the need for narcissistic supply and admiration. Blech...
:thewave:
Excellent description! Especially with regard to their lack of empathy and how that comes about.

7 Myths About Narcissism and Narcissistic Personality Disorder

Many common assumptions about narcissists are wrong. For one, they're not secretly insecure

By Lindsay Lyon
April 21, 2009 RSS Feed Print

Related News

Narcissism Epidemic: Why There Are So Many Narcissists Now
U.S. Teens Brimming With Self-Esteem
Many U.S. Teens Have Poor Health Habits

A hallmark of narcissism is overconfidence. But there's one thing that narcissists can legitimately be confident about: Not all that we assume about narcissism is true. Research psychologist Jean Twenge laid out these seven myths about narcissism, which she and her coauthor identify in their new book, The Narcissism Epidemic: Living in the Age of Entitlement. Edited excerpts from her conversation with U.S. News:

1. Narcissism is really high self-esteem. No, it's not. Someone can have really high self-esteem and not be narcissistic. The key difference is that people high in self-esteem focus on relationships and narcissists are missing that piece about caring about relationships. They want to know what other people can do for them, but in terms of having close emotional relationships, they don't care.

2. Deep down, narcissists are insecure and have low self-esteem. People assume that narcissists must be concealing some deep insecurity or they actually hate themselves. But the data don't back it up. Even if you measure self-esteem in a subtle, unconscious way, deep down inside, narcissists think they're awesome. It's important to understand that this is a myth because when people act like jerks and they behave narcissistically, often others will say that the solution is that they really need to boost their self-esteem. Well, that's not going to help. That's exactly their problem.

3. Maybe narcissists have a reason for being narcissistic. This comes up a lot. People think, "Well, maybe narcissists have a reason for being this way." That's not true. When you look at objective measures of intelligence and beauty, narcissists are just like everybody else. They just think they're great. They're legends in their own minds. There are lots of studies on this. My favorite one came out a couple months ago. It was titled "Narcissistic Men and Women Think They Are So Hot, but They Are Not." If you ask narcissists how attractive they think they are or how smart they think they are, they rate themselves high. But when you look at an actual IQ test, or someone else rating their photograph, they're average.

4. A little narcissism is healthy. You have to ask, "Healthy for whom?" Narcissism is basically never healthy for other people. It tends to work out OK for the narcissist in the short term, but in the long term, they end up messing up their relationships at work and at home, and they end up depressed later in life.

5. Narcissism is just physical vanity. Physical vanity is a correlate of narcissism, but there are plenty of other [aspects of narcissism], including materialism, entitlement, antisocial behavior, and problems in relationships.

6. You have to be narcissistic to be successful. Narcissism isn't linked to success. Self-esteem isn't even linked to success. So why do people make this association? It's partly because we think that self-admiration is always good, and it's partly because highly successful narcissists are highly visible, like Donald Trump and Paris Hilton. But there are plenty of people who are successful in those fields who we haven't heard of because they don't have their own TV show with "Money, Money, Money" playing in the theme song. They're just as successful; they're just not on TV.

7. You have to love yourself to love someone else. The reality is that if you love yourself too much, you won't have any left over for anyone else. Again, keep in mind that if you hate yourself and you're really depressed, you're probably not going to be a great relationship partner either. But people with low self-esteem are perfectly good relationship partners most of the time. They can be insecure, but they do care about their partners, unlike people who are narcissistic.

For more on narcissism and narcissistic personality disorder, check out Narcissism Epidemic: Why There Are So Many Narcissists Now.

thanks..that is interesting...so narcissists actually believe they are superior. hmmmm..well o.k. but is that GENUINE self esteem? because to me real self esteem is "showing up" for yourself, taking responsibility, and acting in your own best interests. none of what jodi did - being promiscuous, dropping out of school, living a parasitic lifestyle, stalking, murder etc., was acting in her own best interests. the conduct she allowed herself to have was VERY counterproductive to HER. look where her behavior got her! her life is ruined.

Shelley---I have repeatedly stated that I don't believe the primary diagnosis for JA is a Narcissist although it is a personality disorder and they often overlap or "bleed" into eachother periodically. And of course, Shelley...Narcissists believe they are winning but they're not my type of people to be around; unless you like swimming with the sharks!

My post was just to simply explain a recent study that I read about how Narcissists really believe they are superior and entitled and the Narcissist does not feel there is any need for a cover-up for low self-esteem. Anywhoo......I believe JA has Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) with comorbidity/overlap.....which is also in the same Cluster B, Axis II.
With all Personality Disorders, there will be overlaps so in other words, some symptoms of others will be symptomatic (for example: Histrionic Personality Disorder, Anti-Social Personality Disorder, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, etc.). They are like a salad mix at times.

But...isn't he a 'clinician in the field?' :banghead:

Dr Ablow ? is he a "clinician in the field"? sorry i am not understanding the meaning of this question - what do you mean? He is a psychiatrist I believe.
Is that what you are asking?

I feel exactly the same way. I also think that this is what attracted them, they recognised their own 'admirable' skills in each other.
It was never going to end well.:(
My brother behaves the same way, and has almost killed someone in an N rage. He physically fights when he doesn't get his own way (he's 64), and lives in a position of power through wealth. He is incredibly charming, funny, seductive, and intelligent. Just make sure you catch him on a good day!
My N sister is the sneaky one, and they have a mutual 'love' of each other that borders on the very creepy. She is 66. He 'buys' his narcissistic supply from people until they cross him.
He was arrested a couple of years ago for racial vilification, it made the tv news because he sued the police for mishandling him. He didn't win. ;)

Shelley---I have repeatedly stated that I don't believe the primary diagnosis for JA is a Narcissist although it is a personality disorder and they often overlap or "bleed" into eachother periodically. And of course, Shelley...Narcissists believe they are winning but they're not my type of people to be around; unless you like swimming with the sharks!

My post was just to simply explain a recent study that I read about how Narcissists really believe they are superior and entitled and the Narcissist does not feel there is any need for a cover-up for low self-esteem. Anywhoo......I believe JA has Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD) with comorbidity/overlap.....which is also in the same Cluster B, Axis II.
With all Personality Disorders, there will be overlaps so in other words, some symptoms of others will be symptomatic (for example: Histrionic Personality Disorder, Anti-Social Personality Disorder, Narcissistic Personality Disorder, etc.). They are like a salad mix at times.

Thank you I have read all your posts! I'm sorry if I seem to be annoying you somehow.

There is a sad but beautiful ballet that depicts what can happen to a Narcissist.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissus_(mythology)

Also there is a well known painting by Salvador Dali. Metamorphosis of Narcissus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The description provided by the Mayo Clinic suggests that underneath the narcissistic personality may lie a fragile self-esteem.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/narcissistic-personality-disorder/DS00652/DSECTION=symptoms

Within the Mayo link - a person who often monopolizes conversations, has to have the best of everything as in the best car and be part of the best social circles, is overly sensitive to criticism and often reacts in ways that belittle others who don't share their own elevated view of theirself.

From what I know, I'm not sure JA fits this description. She's been described as 'weird'. One woman said that JA was difficult to engage in conversation so JA just sat there and they didn't talk much.

I like this post you have here.

It's interesting how many times art and science and medicine criss cross to explain each other.

Salvador Dali's mustache is used to teach medical students to watch for an abnormality on the EKG caused by digitalis toxicity.

Gotta love art!

I sort of feel the same way. To my thinking, she killed TA and it was not in self defense, so she must be punished. Whatever she is or is not in terms of personality is irrelevant to the law. I am interested in the psychology of why she did it, but not in the labels.

I am in such agreement with your post.

The truth is for the most part that the labels occur due to the need for insurance reimbursement. I find labels to be so limiting.

I have a family member that defies labels. I don't know if a diagnosis criteria has even been created to encompass this individual.

I too am interested in the psychology of why she did it. (Probably why I came on this thread 'eh?).

Either I'm not fully understanding what you're getting at or I disagree or it's not complete or I may just be out of my ****ing mind. lol (sarcastic humor :))

When it comes to mental illness many symptoms can overlap..ie.. suicidal gestures/ideation could be related to bpd or major depression and/or several other disorders. When it comes to common traits/symptoms, whether for a mood disorder or personality disorder, the context in which the symptom/trait manifests itself has to be looked at. I'll use bpd as an example (I'm not saying that she has it).. Let's say a person has intense anger/rage, and suicidal ideation it may mean something or it may mean nothing when it comes to a personality disorder (or whatever other disorder). What has to be looked at is the context in which it's presenting itself. In terms of bpd the question that would need to be asked is does the person have a history of instability in interpersonal relationships? If the answer is no then you'd look at other disorders whether it be mood or personality. A person with bpd is going to have a history of unstable pattern of interacting with others, a person with hpd is going to have a history of attention seeking behavior or having to be the center of attention, a person with npd is going to have a history of grandiosity or need for admiration and a person with aspd is going to have a history of disregard for others. These are the insecurities that these personality disorders are based around, with the possible exception of aspd, and history is the keyword. I have bpd, and if I become friends with someone at some point my insecurities are going to kick in and that friendship will be no more. What that means is my insecurity will lead to arguments, neediness, clingyness and they will become overwhelmed and eventually tell me to **** off. This is not a one time occurrence this is unfortunately a long long history with me going back as far as jr high.. **Now for a rant**.....It is incredibly frustrating for me when I see posts (not so much here.. most of you have been very kind) that blatantly say were evil or take joy in this or that it doesn't bother us. That could not be further from the truth with the majority of us. Do you think I enjoy losing a friend? We experience pain and frustration too.. It's just from a different perspective. We hate the fact that we emotionally hurt someone that we liked/loved, we hate ourselves, and we hate the intensity of the emotional turmoil that we are experiencing internally which is the key component of bpd. **end of rant** It's likely that my traits may overlap with some of the other pd's, but I'm bpd.. My problem is a persistent pattern of unstable relationships. I respect peoples rights, I don't need to be the center of attention and I don't need unrealistic admiration. I'm not saying it's not possible to be co-morbid, because it is, however the whole history of the person has to be looked at to determine that.

Most, if not all, pd's are going to use manipulation to some extent. With the help of dbt I've become pretty good at spotting mine and I'm able to make sure my motives are sincere. I do believe improvements, with the right kind of therapy, can be made to interpersonal relationships. I have not mastered that, but there's reasons for that and that's a whole other story.

The point in me writing this and being open is that I want people to be aware of what it really means to have bpd and we're not these evil little aliens.

I am in such agreement with your post.

The truth is for the most part that the labels occur due to the need for insurance reimbursement. I find labels to be so limiting.

I have a family member that defies labels. I don't know if a diagnosis criteria has even been created to encompass this individual.

I too am interested in the psychology of why she did it. (Probably why I came on this thread 'eh?).

Me three!! I'll put my money on Psychology 101 so either jealousy or a woman scorned.

Me three!! I'll put my money on Psychology 101 so either jealousy or a woman scorned.

Thank you for the vote of confidence and welcome to Websleuths!

I've leaned on broken identity from the get go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlanta_2_Philly