Armchair Psych Profile and JH's Background

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally know nothing of the sort.
And there have been no diagnosis of any kind. And it's pretty much impossible to predict who will become a mass killer among many people with issues.

"It's awfully hard to generalize about these things," said Lawrence Steinberg, professor of psychology at Temple University and an expert in the psychology of adolescent development. "Some (mass murderers) have long histories of depression, others don't. Right now, we don't know yet about this guy's (Holmes) history. Some of these are loners, and he has been described as a loner, but many don't. Some are criminally aggressive before committing these crimes, others are not."
http://news.discovery.com/human/mass-killers-warning-signs-120726.html

Professionals are not allowed to say anything till he has been diagnosed.
and he will be in time. With time we will all know.

The fact that you say you don’t know. Does not begin to matter.
<modsnip>

This is based on what I have read of James Holmes.

Holmes has low tolerance for failure and mostly knows success. He expects everything is easy in life. His withdrawn nature is likely fueled by his fear of failure. I also noticed when he was an intern at Salk Institute, he did things his way, which suggest he is very stubborn. This may suggest he may have obsessive compulsive personality disorder as he is rigid in nature. Holmes likely looks down on other people as he has en elitist mentality, but does not show it.

So far, his childhood seems "normal" and he was mostly well liked. He moved to San Diego when he was a child, which would have an impact on him. In elementary school, he was well liked by all accounts.

The reports of Holmes's personality range from being recluse to someone who can be talkative suggest that Holmes is likely an ambivert than an introvert. Seung-Hui Cho was consistently described as quiet and asocial, unlike Holmes, who could be social. The video of him talking in 2006 shows he is not really that shy and more likely stems from public speaking.

On TV now:

"Experts suggest family pressure could have caused CO shooting suspect to snap"

I didn't get this Dr's name who is describing this. (Oh, Dr Alan Lipman)

Supposedly, there are now reports coming out that the father set "a very high standard" and the son was having a hard time living up to it.

Wonder where these "reports" are coming from.

ETA: Well this Dr Lipman got the timeline wrong, LOL. He said 3 weeks before this attack, he failed his exam. Ummmm, noooo, it was more like 6 weeks.

On Fox News, Megyn Kelly (sp?) is saying that JH WAS adopted, that he was NOT a straight A student (more like a B student), and that his father set high standards for him. They're talking about a strained relationship with his father and they're also saying that his mother urged him to seek counseling.

That's sad and all, but I'm still not going to hold his father responsible for setting high standards for his son. Lots of parents put pressure on their kids, and it's not right, but most kids do not become mass murderers because of it. I'm sure the father feels horrible enough and doesn't need to have blame placed on him.

Talking head on Fox is talking about schizophrenia, which is plausible for me. They're saying a psychotic break could trigger schizophrenia (like failing the oral exam). He's reiterating that that that does NOT excuse JH's behavior.

Not sure where the media is getting information that he was adopted. :waitasec:

On Fox News, Megyn Kelly (sp?) is saying that JH WAS adopted, that he was NOT a straight A student (more like a B student), and that his father set high standards for him. They're talking about a strained relationship with his father and they're also saying that his mother urged him to seek counseling.

That's sad and all, but I'm still not going to hold his father responsible for setting high standards for his son. Lots of parents put pressure on their kids, and it's not right, but most kids do not become mass murderers because of it. I'm sure the father feels horrible enough and doesn't need to have blame placed on him.

Talking head on Fox is talking about schizophrenia, which is plausible for me. They're saying a psychotic break could trigger schizophrenia (like failing the oral exam). He's reiterating that that that does NOT excuse JH's behavior.

I have wondered what Holmes's relationship with his parents are like. I am not in any way blaming them. I have read he was adopted, but I have not seen much news report on that part.

Most mass murderers are not adopted. I cannot think of any one like that. Another thing that jumped at me is that he seemed well liked other he could be a bit stubborn at times.

Sadly there are far more MI folks then we know. :(
IMHO - someone attracted to a murderer is not 100% either.
Sadly MI has a stigma, and hiding it is something most of them do well.

Hibristophilia (attraction to dangerous individuals) is not considered a mental illness. It is probably more common than people realize, but usually it is only obvious when folks start sending fan mail to infamous killers.

Maybe quite a few of the folks are a little different, but then again who isn't?

I'd like to know where all this info is coming from. Perhaps adoption is public info? As far as family relationship, who is talking?

As far as his jail activities, someone is going to lose a job if any of this is true. The Judge just sent out an Amendment to the Gag Order as a warning and a clarification. I don't care if (I'm making up names and scenario here) Officer Susie is his guard, she calls Cousin Bernie in New York, Cousin Bernie sells a story for money, it still comes back to Officer Sue for telling to begin with. I have to question the jail behavior stories big time. moo

I remember reading that one of the deceased victim's parents stated that the police had told them that the perp was adopted.

Here we go .... I found a link:
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/you_re_no_tough_guy_now_qCaDbL0bp6MXY8NiTX6x3K

A father of one of the dead victims told The Post that cops revealed to him that Holmes was adopted.

Also I just remembered that psychologist, Dr. Alan Lipman, who appeared on Megyn Kelly (FNC) a little while ago stated that JH's mom had urged him to get counseling.

QUESTION: did JH fail his oral exam BEFORE he began to order the guns and tactical gear?

If so, that could suggest a psychotic break of some sort and that is what led to this change in behavior.

Seems that is the case, he bought a rifle after failing. Interesting.

James Holmes Bought Rifle After Failing Oral Exam at University of Colorado

Although it does say he bought the high powered rifle after failing, it goes on to say he then added that to an already growing arsenal.
Accused movie theater gunman James Holmes purchased a high-powered rifle hours after failing a key oral exam at the University of Colorado, ABC News has learned.

Holmes added the weapon to his already growing arsenal June 7, hours after he took a key oral exam at the college. ABC News station KMGH-TV in Denver reported that he failed the exam. Three days later, he dropped out of the neurosciences program with no explanation.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/james-holm...xam-university/story?id=16850268#.UBGJubQ7WWc

Found this information about JH's studies (Biological Basis of Psychiatric and Neurological Disorders) at UC.

Of particular interest to me, is what they were covering in April. Did JH perhaps begin to realize that some of that symptomolgy he was studying was reflecting somewhat of a mirror image of himself? Or, did he possibly seize upon an opportunity of evil to massacre people, and use the symptomolgy that may have been presented via his education, as his possible defense? Wish I knew.

All of April's coursework piques my interest, but in particular, his studies during the period of April 3rd - April 12th:

April 3 Jason Tregellas, Ph.D. Schizophrenia-- Overview, ImagingPsychiatry

April 5 Karen Stevens, Ph.D. Schizophrenia -- Animal Models Psychiatry

April 10 Randy Ross, M.D. Childhood PsychosisPsychiatry

April 12 Cathy Adams, Ph.D. Schizophrenia -- Neuroanatomy andPsychiatry Development

Here is a presentation JH was scheduled to give:

May 8 STUDENT PRESENTATIONS
1) (name redacted) Epilepsy
2) James Holmes MicroRNA Biomarkers

Source: http://www.scribd.com/doc/100612191/James-Holmes-Class-PDF

What do you think?

I'm still catching up on these threads (just been lurking up to now) but I wanted to address your first question. While in my undergrad psych program, I took a course in abnormal and clinical psychology. Symptoms of psych disorders fall on a continuum, and one must exhibit a certain number of those symptoms to a specific degree of severity before a diagnosis is given. Some people might exhibit one symptom to a very low degree, but that doesn't mean they actually have that disorder. It's also very easy to self diagnose these disorders when studying them in depth, which is one of the reasons why the grad programs I was looking to apply mandates all students in the program to see a therapist on a regular basis. I don't think other programs, such as the one JH was in, have this mandate. Just from my own personal experience, some of these courses can make you feel like you're crazy. I'm not saying this is the case with everyone or with JH, but I can see this being a possibility. And of course, it definitely doesn't mean someone is going to go on a rampage nor does it excuse someone who does. I can see, as a possibility, someone who already has an underlying psych issue and studying these types of disorders being a tipping point without seeking professional help in coping with their thoughts and managing their behaviors. Again, I'm not saying this is the case with JH, but it could be a possibility. All MOO, JMO, etc.

Profile of Aurora shooting suspect keeps getting murkier
July 23, 2012 9:00 am

More: http://herald-review.com/news/natio...cle_b27a87b8-d4cb-11e1-b1d1-0019bb2963f4.html

From the article:
"His grades were mediocre. I've heard him described as brilliant. This is extremely inaccurate."Holmes attended the Salk program between high school and college and performed poorly, Jacobson said. "He shouldn't have gotten into the summer program."

Jacobson also said Holmes was enormously stubborn and refused to follow instructions.
He said he set Holmes to work writing computer code for an experiment Jacobson had done involving a game of rock-paper-scissors, in which the computer always beats the human, no matter who goes first.
He said that although he urged Holmes to use one method of programming, Holmes insisted on using another that Jacobsen described as vastly more time consuming and complicated.
"He just refused," said Jacobson. "Finally, I said, 'Do it any way you can.' "
The work never got done. "He never completed the project. What he gave me was a complete mess," Jacobson said.
So one might add "stubborn" to the list of traits in the wispy profile of Holmes - except students who knew him say they don't particularly recall pronounced stubbornness at all.
"I think he just liked to share his opinions on stuff he really believes in, what's right," said a 26-year-old UC Riverside graduate who was in his lab group in 2008. "There were times he can come off arrogant. He definitely could."
To me, this sounds like a guy who believed himself to be much more important and intelligent than others judged him to be. When his beliefs about himself were not supported by others, I have a feeling his disappointment turned into narcissistic rage. Then, much like a domestic abuser who decides to kill his ex or take her children and kill them in order to hurt her, he decided to seek revenge and show those bastards who he really was, that he was more powerful, more intelligent and more important. That if they were not going to give him the recognition he deserved, he would get it another way, from the world.

These types are disgruntled egoists who feel life has shorted them, so they will simultaneously show the world and punish it. They don't care so much about the consequences. Some even choose to end their own life in the process. What's most important to these types is causing pain to others - to seek revenge, to punish and to become ultra famous as they do it.

Is something "wrong" with such a person? Well, of course. They have a withered soul. Is such a person so mentally disturbed that they cannot control their actions? That I do not believe for a moment.

There has been a debate on the threads about how even sociopaths have different brains and thus, the implication goes, they cannot control themselves. Burt science has shown that brain changes can be caused by the most minute things. Someone who is feeling happy shows brain changes. Someone feeling sad, shows brain changes. And so what? Those changes do not necessarily equate to a loss of will or control.

It is a chicken and egg argument. Does an evil heart lead to changes in brain chemistry? Or does brain chemistry lead to changes in one's heart? If we believe that criminal behavior is outside our control and is determined by the brain (something, BTW, that many feel racists have used for at least a century to prove that blacks are inherently prone to criminality), then why the heck do we have prisons at all? We should have sympathy for these poor sots who cannot control themselves and offer them treatment instead. All of them.

I for one think that choice, will, soul, all play a part in one's conduct, unless they are so ill or damaged that they cannot function at all - i.e. lack the ability to feed themselves, clothes themselves, etc.

I think it is rather bizarre to condemn those that say he is nice looking as "sickos". His picture is all over the press, of course people will comment on his looks, many will make insulting comments and others will find him nice looking.

I personally thought he was good looking when I saw the first picture, the pics that came out later with the weird red hair were not at all flattering.

Wow, really? People were tweeting that a guy who just murdered 12 innocent people and tried to kill 50 more, is "kinda hot", stating "I would hit that".

I'm sorry, but they ARE sickos, IMO. That is one of the most tasteless, offensive and insulting things to say in the face of such a tragedy. Wow, no wonder creeps like the Colorado murderer do what they do. Despite the incredible evil of such an act, despite the horror and pain it causes so many, people are not only ready and willing, just chomping at the bit, to excuse it, stating the poor guy has brain issues and deserves our sympathy and that everyone else is to blame, people are also willing to make statements about how "hot" he is and how much they would like to have sex with him.

That is really, really offensive to me, in the face of such devastation. It adds to the problem. It resolves nothing. :twocents:

WHAT HAPPENED JAMES HOLMES? BY HIS FORMER TEACHER
PUBLISHED: 09:43 EST, 26 July 2012 | UPDATED: 11:36 EST, 26 July 2012

When I knew James Holmes, the Colorado shooter, he was Jimmy. I was his fifth-grade teacher and he lives in a tiny town of 5,000 called Castroville.

Recalling him at school, he was well-dressed, neat, wore glasses, liked to read and excelled in all academic areas. He had two really good friends, both sharp like him &#8212; in fact, top of the class.
<modsnip>

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ed-costly-health-bills.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Seems that is the case, he bought a rifle after failing. Interesting.

James Holmes Bought Rifle After Failing Oral Exam at University of Colorado

Although it does say he bought the high powered rifle after failing, it goes on to say he then added that to an already growing arsenal.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/james-holm...xam-university/story?id=16850268#.UBGJubQ7WWc

The article says he bought a rifle after the exams. But, he also bought other guns, equipment to make explosives, tacticle gear, etc. When did he START buying the equipment not just the one gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scomo