Armchair Psych Profile and Treatment

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Questions !

Can the parents file for Full Legal Adult Guardianship of JH since JH is filing for insanity which falls under disability ? If yes, after filing for guardianship, can they file lawsuit on behalf of JH to the school or doctor just in case they are at fault?

:seeya:

When someone cannot act in their won best interest - a legal guardian must.
The answer is YES.

a psychotherapist has a duty to warn even if the actual victim(s) was not foreseeable. ....
..the therapist’s duty to warn is implicitly contained within the guidelines for disclosure of confidential information without the consent of the client:
-Duty to warn is among the few --
[/COLOR]--when there is cause for serious concern about a client harming someone, the clinician must breach confidentiality
--Explicit in the court’s decision was the principle that the confidentiality of the therapeutic relationship is subordinate to the safety of society and her members
[u....... a clinician's professional judgment is key. They have to identify whether there is a sense of urgency, and if there is a likelihood of a patient acting on the thoughts. A patient's history of violence, mental illness and substance abuse is also considered, according to the Journal of Family Practice.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/08/02/health/therapist-violence/index.html?npt=NP

rl]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duty_to_warn#Clinical_psychology[/url]

I totally agree.
And spiraling down that far, does not happen that fast, without visibility by trained eyes.

It's all very sad. They've lost their son. Lots of people lose children. Doesn't mean they are owed anything monetarily. Just because she was seeing him on a professional level doesn't mean she is responsible for his behavior. She could have been concerned about him because he admitted to fantasizing about killing all of his classmates. Doesn't mean that is a threat.

What if she prescribed him antipsychotics that he chose not to take, and the voices in his head told him to commit the crime. Is she still responsible?
Not because she was seeing him NO :nono:
But For Gross Negligence :yes:

As a parent I would look into that with a microscope - because naturally they will hide.

Are you feeling what i am feeling about this article?

CU Threat BETA Team Has No Guidelines
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31328515/detail.html
DENVER --
The team charged with identifying and preventing threats like last month’s mass shoot at an Aurora theater has no set policies or procedures on when people should report threats or when to convene the team when threats are brought forward, a CALL7 investigation found.
But University of Colorado officials confirmed Thursday that the Behavioral Evaluation and Threat Assessment team has no guidelines or policies that dictate when people should report threats or when the team should convene to discuss them. Sources said the team was never convened to address Fenton's concerns about Holmes because he left school June 10.

Since 2010, when Fenton helped to form the BETA team, there have been about a dozen calls to team chairman -- currently Larry Loften -- about various threats, according to a CU spokeswoman. She declined to say whether Fenton’s calls about Holmes were in those dozen calls.

Sources say Loften was one of the people Fenton called with her concerns and questions about Holmes. CALL7 Investigator John Ferrugia caught up with Loften after work to ask him about the team's policies and procedures but he declined. But a university spokeswoman said the threat assessment has no defined policy or threshold of when the team should be convened or notified of threats.

Sources with knowledge of the investigation also told CALL7 Investigators that along with expressing concerns about Holmes possibly being a threat to others, Fenton was “gathering information to couple with what she knew to … make an educated decision about what to do concerning Holmes.”

One source said: “It’s very unusual to get a call from Dr. Fenton. (But) there was no clear red-flag thrown at the CU assessment team. It wasn’t a warning.”
Another source said: “The calls were two-fold – to gather information and to report her concerns about what he told her and that he could potentially harm others. She was trying to figure out what to do.”

I see many RED flags all over the place...

How about common sense, human decency, responsibility, accountability.
So they teach Psychology, I do not care about their rules. THE DID know better.
and IMO a very high % in the PSYC field need a shrink.

When they see signs of a problem they CAN NOT turn the other cheek, go on vacation, without handling this, etc…

so did DA Chambers already examine the notebook? what happen to the Gag Order? LOL...

Arapahoe County District Attorney Carol Chambers disputed news reports that the notebook contained descriptions of an attack.

Read more: http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/new...ing-suspect-be-formally-charged#ixzz22SXU5gpV

:what::what::what:

People's response number 3 on this court docs said :

contents were secured and not examine and held for potential in camera review
http://www.courts.state.co.us/userf...2-07-27 12CR1522 People's response to D11.pdf

Maybe DA is more worried about what funds may be cut off from the Government..:waitasec:
To cover anything is not LAW...it may be interest.

In that video, a statement made by the UC Chancellor, Don Elliman, is read; and shown on screen:

"I believe, until it's been demonstrated otherwise, that our people did what they should have done."

Hmm, isn't that slightly reminiscent of what Penn State administrators were espousing, back when the sexual abuse scandal broke there? Or am I imagining that?

Elliman's little caveat, "until it's been demonstrated otherwise", is at the very least a yellow flag to me. MOO
What else can they say???
Button up your lips everyone No talking......

Nothing to hide, nowhere to run....

That comment stuck out to me too. I don't know what it means. See if he was talking to any other doc? See if anyone else noticed anything in his behavior, any students said anything to anyone? See what their legal position on what to do is? (That one would be bad since it is her team.)

The comment makes no sense. What do all of you think it means?

I'm going with THIS one...

I did not know about 2010:
Fenton’s expertise and knowledge about potential student threats was surely influenced in part by a 2010 weapon incident that occurred on the University of Colorado’s Anschutz Medical Campus. In that situation the Colorado campus experienced its first illegal weapons possession crime according to the campus’ federal Clery crime statistics report.

http://www.examiner.com/article/jam...closures-highlight-the-failure-of-beta-campus

http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/InstitutionalResearch/Documents/Clery/StatsAMC10Report.pdf

Has anyone found more specifics about this 2010 incident? Did it make the local news/campus newsletter? I have heard about some grad school departments being known for high levels of suicides, so it's not that large of a step for me to wonder whether this department suffered from a mix of conditions which lead to a gun buying pattern. (Not saying there is a pattern or that the 2010 incident was even the same department, just wondering...as usual, with little real info...)

Originally Posted by DeadCat
What do you all think this means re Fenton's call to BETA:
“The calls were two-fold – to gather information and to report her concerns "

What kind of info would she be gathering? Certainly not about the BETA process since she was instrumental in developing it, right? If she was his therapist, wouldn't she assume she knew much more about JH than a BETA team would? Was she checking with them so see if anyone else had reported him?

That comment stuck out to me too. I don't know what it means. See if he was talking to any other doc? See if anyone else noticed anything in his behavior, any students said anything to anyone? See what their legal position on what to do is? (That one would be bad since it is her team.)

The comment makes no sense. What do all of you think it means?

Check his past history of MI and medications prescribed? Would they have access to all of the past info if it had not been willingly disclosed them previously? That is, if he had a past history.. If he was exhibiting signs, you'd seek out his previous doctor to confirm what you were dealing with.

Wasn't sure which thread to put this under. I was just wondering about the 2010 incident (do we need a Anschutz Medical Center thread?) and wondered where the Anschutz name came from). I don't think I'm "victim sleuthing" to say that in 2000, they got a donation from the Anschutz Foundation.

Philip Anschutz - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

With all the discussion on confidentiality issues I still question not only whether Holmes had a past history of MI but whether Fenton knew of it? Would she have access to that info? Would it be mandatory for a student to provide that upon entry? We have used words ranging from spiraling down to snapped because we have no idea the past but someone does. I suspect those in the know are feeling a little uneasy about whats going on.
It would be nice to know exactly what we are dealing with!

With all the discussion on confidentiality issues I still question not only whether Holmes had a past history of MI but whether Fenton knew of it? Would she have access to that info? Would it be mandatory for a student to provide that upon entry? We have used words ranging from spiraling down to snapped because we have no idea the past but someone does. I suspect those in the know are feeling a little uneasy about whats going on.
It would be nice to know exactly what we are dealing with!
Typically the treatment history is provided by the client in the first session. But in this mess, I am wondering if he was not told that in order to stay in the program (like 5-7 months ago he must see her becasue (Specualtion) he might have been starting to display erratic behavior.
Further speculation - if that were the case I would not be surprised if he had to sign a release for doc to talk to mom to get his whole history.
SO much we dont know and I really do not know if we will- Do you understand exactly how the gag order is gonna work here?

re: Cariis
SO much we dont know and I really do not know if we will- Do you understand exactly how the gag order is gonna work here?

I do not know how this one will play out but I get the impression this gag order is supposed to be pretty stringent really just on a need to know basis only right now. Yaa I doubt that includes us. But I am encouraged by the leaks and hold out a little more hope due to the scale of what is taking place. This may be the catalyst for a broader more comprehensive policy that may effect all learning institutions in the future. We should know what lay behind it all. imo

I've questioned this too. If you look at the links in the doc thread, her bio states she is there for 15-20 graduate students. The scheduling has her available only on Wednesdays. How does that work out? How much do you know about any given 15-20 student? Granted JH has only been there since November.
student? Granted JH has only been there since November. never heard that! Does that translate to he started in Jan?2012

He started at this school in November.

He did? I'd never heard that either? Do you have a link? That seems to imply that he'd only been there 1 semester and had taken his orals after only 1 semester? (Semesters USUALLY start in January).

Holmes enrolled at the university in June 2011.
http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/newsr...ment-from-the-university-on-James-Holmes.aspx

James Holmes was the recipient of a $21,600 grant from the National Institutes of Health, a research agency of the Department of Health and Human Services, according to agency records. The grant lasted from July 2011 through June. Holmes also received a $5,000 stipend from the University of Colorado-Denver, where he was a first-year Ph.D. student in its neuroscience program.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_...chool-grants-ahead-of-deadly-aurora-shooting/

His grant is from July 2011 to June 2012? so a failure of grades / exam will lead him to lose his scholarship grant ? ...

He did? I'd never heard that either? Do you have a link? That seems to imply that he'd only been there 1 semester and had taken his orals after only 1 semester? (Semesters USUALLY start in January).

Okay, you're right. I got that wrong, he started June 2011. Not sure where I got November???? Disregard November!

He enrolled in the Ph.D. neuroscience program at the University of Colorado-Denver in June 2011 but left the program last month, according to the university.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/20/james-holmes-aurora-shooting-medical-student_n_1689794.html

Okay, you're right. I got that wrong, he started June 2011. Not sure where I got November???? Disregard November!

I had some confusion too early on when i read this info before i thought he started on that University June 2012 - At least you are earlier than me lol. He started June 2011 ...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellerybeans
Back