Armchair Psych Profile and Treatment

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I had some confusion too early on when i read this info before i thought he started on that University June 2012 - At least you are earlier than me lol. He started June 2011 ...

I thought we read early on he moved there in Nov, then started school at a late date, but now I think I was imagining it.

Where the HIPAA Privacy Rule applies, does it permit a health care provider to disclose protected health information (PHI) about a patient to law enforcement, family members, or others if the provider believes the patient presents a serious danger to self or others?

Answer:

The HIPAA Privacy Rule permits a covered entity to disclose PHI, including psychotherapy notes, when the covered entity has a good faith belief that the disclosure: (1) is necessary to prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to the health or safety of the patient or others and (2) is to a person(s) reasonably able to prevent or lessen the threat. This may include, depending on the circumstances, disclosure to law enforcement, family members, the target of the threat, or others who the covered entity has a good faith belief can mitigate the threat. The disclosure also must be consistent with applicable law and standards of ethical conduct. See 45 CFR § 164.512(j)(1)(i). For example, consistent with other law and ethical standards, a mental health provider whose teenage patient has made a credible threat to inflict serious and imminent bodily harm on one or more fellow students may alert law enforcement, a parent or other family member, school administrators or campus police, or others the provider believes may be able to prevent or lessen the chance of harm. In such cases, the covered entity is presumed to have acted in good faith where its belief is based upon the covered entity’s actual knowledge (i.e., based on the covered entity’s own interaction with the patient) or in reliance on a credible representation by a person with apparent knowledge or authority (i.e., based on a credible report from a family member or other person). See 45 CFR § 164.512(j)(4).

For threats or concerns that do not rise to the level of “serious and imminent,” other HIPAA Privacy Rule provisions may apply to permit the disclosure of PHI. For example, covered entities generally may disclose PHI about a minor child to the minor’s personal representative (e.g., a parent or legal guardian), consistent with state or other laws. See 45 CFR § 164.502(b).

http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/privacy/hipaa/faq/ferpa_and_hipaa/520.html

Would JH have been considered somewhat a "freshmen" at school considering this being his first year at this school?

I only ask b/c last year when my daughter was at first year, she had an advisor that she had to talk to every couple of weeks. It was just to make sure she was OKAY and not having any problems with school. I know at her school it is required for 1st years to take a class on college life and adjusting. They talk about depression, suicide, class stress, teacher stress, etc... Even if other kids transfer in from other states or at different levels of studies, they are all required to take that class. I wonder if JH's college required a class like that?

I do wonder why the college felt the need to completely scrub their web site?

I don't know how I feel about the the dr. yet. I wonder what she knew and what she reported? I also wonder if their were to many chiefs at the college? You know.....you have to work up the chain of command.....tell so and so....and they tell so and so. (I've had a few jobs like that. You tell lower so and so and the problem never gets fixed)

If JH drops out, does that release the school from any responsibility? I would say it depends on what exactly the school knew about JH.

Good point, Rolling. I'm almost certain I read somewhere (?) that this very requirement might have been at issue with JH. We need more info! Badly! lol

I'm responding and bring this over here because the topic might be better suited to this thread. I will edit my quoted post from the other thread, so as not to duplicate posts.

I located the article I'd read previously. It was dated July 21st.

The neurosciences program also requires first-year students to partner with a mentor

It goes on to state it wasn't known if JH had met that requirement or not. Also stated is what a high-performing student JH had been up until that point (failing the prelim).

Some have posted about JH not making the grades, but I've not seen a lot of factual info confirming that, as yet.

The Pentagon Shooting: They Don’t “Just Snap”
People don't "snap." They move down a path toward violence.
Published on March 6, 2010 by David F. Swink in Threat Management

Efforts should be made to de-stigmatize mental illness and the myths about mental illness and violence, while encouraging attempts to seek assistance and treatment. TV pundits...please stop using terms like "wacko," "deranged," and "nut case" to describe perpetrators of violence. This is simplistic, stereotyping language and sends the message to the viewers that you don't understand what might have precipitated an incident of violence.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...03/the-pentagon-shooting-they-don-t-just-snap

ooops....didn't the Police Commissioner use the term "deranged"?

Holmes enrolled at the university in June 2011.
http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/newsr...ment-from-the-university-on-James-Holmes.aspx

James Holmes was the recipient of a $21,600 grant from the National Institutes of Health, a research agency of the Department of Health and Human Services, according to agency records. The grant lasted from July 2011 through June. Holmes also received a $5,000 stipend from the University of Colorado-Denver, where he was a first-year Ph.D. student in its neuroscience program.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505263_...chool-grants-ahead-of-deadly-aurora-shooting/

His grant is from July 2011 to June 2012? so a failure of grades / exam will lead him to lose his scholarship grant ? ...

The grant is given to the program. Program distributes it to students. He didn't do anything other than being accepted into the program to get this grant. The school gets these money in yearly installments. They might be giving it to first year students, and advisers are expected to pay for second years students and so on.

Looking back at my post on the first Armchair Psyche thread, JH was scheduled to give a presentation on MicroRNA Biomarkers on May 8.

Notice the schedule also leaves a couple dates (May 15, 17) for additional presentations, if needed.

I wish there were a way for us to find out if JH made his presentation or not. Of course, none of his classmates are going to speak to the media, after what were, imo, veiled threats that were made by the administration.

The grant is given to the program. Program distributes it to students. He didn't do anything other than being accepted into the program to get this grant. The school gets these money in yearly installments. They might be giving it to first year students, and advisers are expected to pay for second years students and so on.

Why would advisers be expected to pay for it? :confused:

Yeh that is it how it hit me for some reason i thought he had been there a while (yr!)

I thought we read early on he moved there in Nov, then started school at a late date, but now I think I was imagining it.
You are not believing you are the joker are you ?

Sorry sorry sorry it was just there!~

Why would advisers be expected to pay for it? :confused:

Because the student will start working on research projects in their laboratory. That normally happens by the end of the first year. That is assuming the cbs article was even correct and the training grant was only for one year.

Looking back at my post on the first Armchair Psyche thread, JH was scheduled to give a presentation on MicroRNA Biomarkers on May 8.

Notice the schedule also leaves a couple dates (May 15, 17) for additional presentations, if needed.

I wish there were a way for us to find out if JH made his presentation or not. Of course, none of his classmates are going to speak to the media, after what were, imo, veiled threats that were made by the administration.
Yeh my understanding is the presentation is diff than orals

You are not believing you are the joker are you ?

Sorry sorry sorry it was just there!~

:floorlaugh:
Funny, CARIIS!
I hope Merc is going to see the humor, and will be laughing, too.

Where is your Link for this?

He has this NIH T32 grant HD041697

http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/newsr...roscience-Program-and-Holmes-information.aspx

the NIH award is given to the student after passing all their requirements. The student can choose participating schools to use it and this grant has a payback clause for the student who received the award on the contract..
There are requirements to continue with the grant.

http://grants.nih.gov/training/payback.htm
http://grants.nih.gov/training/nrsa.htm

Where is your Link for this?

He has this NIH T32 grant HD041697

http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/newsr...roscience-Program-and-Holmes-information.aspx

the NIH award is given to the student after passing all their requirements. The student can choose participating schools to use it and this grant has a payback clause for the student who received the award on the contract..
There are requirements to continue with the grant.

http://grants.nih.gov/training/nrsa.htm

You nih link is to the wrong grant. He didn't have an NRSA postdoctoral award. He was on a training grant given to the program. NRSA that you linked to is given to the individual student, but that is not the grant he was on.

Look at the payback clause :)

The NRSA Payback Service Center administers payback requirements for the Ruth L. Kirschstein National Research Service Awards (NRSA).

The NRSA legislation requires Postdoctoral recipients of support to “pay back” the U.S. Government by engaging in health-related biomedical or behavioral research. This includes direct administration or review of health-related research, health-related teaching, or any combination of these activities. Postdoctoral trainees and fellows are required to begin engaging in acceptable payback activities within two years of their termination. Postdoctoral trainees and fellows who cannot engage in payback service can request to pay back their debt financially. Extensions of time to initiate payback service, as well as payback deferrals and waivers, are granted under certain situations and circumstances.

so if he will drop/withdraw this then he has to pay back all the tuition fees NIH paid for him if he will not work......

You nih link is to the wrong grant. He didn't have an NRSA. He was on a training grant given to the program. NRSA that you linked to is given to the individual student, but that is not the grant he was on.

he has an T32 award which is an NRSA award.
Can you link me to the right grant?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214
Back