ARREST!!! Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 - #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Please tell me WI after BBG and starting at UQ (if your OP was high enough) studying law what else have you been doing??

My apologies - I don't actually understand the post, let alone the point. If this could please be rephrased, I'll certainly be happy to answer the question.

Totally, factfinda. In fact, it's Groundhog Day, every day!

Watsonian, i have no idea if you are right or wrong in what you are saying, but I want to say two things:
1. You have a wonderful sense of humour! So smart, and you don't get upset when people have a go at you. You just have a Groundhog day (little terrior that you are)
2. I will go and do some research (did Angel1 post that link?) because you are right, we should at least educate ourselves in what is appropriate in this situation. I would NEVER want to be responsible for undermining justice, in any way.

AvQlAqTCMAA25YC.jpg:large

http://twitter.com/couriermail/status/212835775673413632/photo/1

Looks like he's lost weight since the funeral. I've heard guilt can do that.

I'm still in disbelief :confused: It was really him :(

This is just getting silly. No, we do not have a Bill of Rights. Contempt of Court is about case participants, or about people breaching an order of the Court, which from time to time impacts on media releases.

Australia does in effect have freedom of speech because there are so few limits on comments, apart from such things as the Discrimination Act etc. But what I am simply saying is that some of the legal principles being touted here just do not exist. I am a lawyer with experience in large and high profile criminal and civil cases. I do not like public discussion being unnecessarily curtailed by people who really do not know the law. Just keep discussing the case freely using common sense..which most people in this forum appear to do. There is absolutely nothing to stop me saying that I think the police have got it right.

To avoid detracting any more from the breaking news tonight, I have just one final comment to you about your legal comments - until you have been approved by moderators to comment as an expert on law, your opinion does not carry any more weight than any of the other members on this forum. We clearly disagree on this issue, but I think it's time to move on from it.

Given what we all have been a witness to this week with Lindy Chamberlain and the 30+ years that she has lived as a topic of innuendo and speculation, and of her final and well-earnt vindication, does anyone really think that the police in this case will have lightly, and without due thought to the repercussions upon three innocent lives, would have charged GBC with anything at all??

I think it is doubtful that the Queensland Cops have anything but a totally watertight and airtight case with everything but everything in place.

Plus I might also say, forensic evidence gathering and DNA typing has moved on a hellava lot since 1980.

Agreed, agreed, AGREED! That thought did cross my mind- how awful if you actually were innocent. but I really think Police would not arrest without certainty. I put my faith in them and the work they have done.

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY!!!!!!!!! My heart is breaking for Allisons family and those beautiful little girls though :( let's hope and pray they have enough to convict him!!!!

This is just getting silly. No, we do not have a Bill of Rights. Contempt of Court is about case participants, or about people breaching an order of the Court, which from time to time impacts on media releases.

Australia does in effect have freedom of speech because there are so few limits on comments, apart from such things as the Discrimination Act etc. But what I am simply saying is that some of the legal principles being touted here just do not exist. I am a lawyer with experience in large and high profile criminal and civil cases. I do not like public discussion being unnecessarily curtailed by people who really do not know the law. Just keep discussing the case freely using common sense..which most people in this forum appear to do. There is absolutely nothing to stop me saying that I think the police have got it right.

Once more, for extra good measure: http://journlaw.com/2011/08/16/why-...facebook-and-twitter-about-the-morcombe-case/

Slow down everyone! I'm still back on page 8 and not wanting to miss a single one of your wonderful posts on such a triumphant day! :woohoo:

Re freedom of speech, when I was living in the US I couldn't believe what the TV people could get away with. After the OJ Simpson verdict I remember Charles Grodin on his news type show saying nothing but murderer murderer about a dozen times over and over for a few minutes. Nothing like that would happen in Australia on mainstream TV.

If ABC TV is your CH2: It was their #1 story with McHutcheon at Indooroopilly police station.

My channel 2 is ABC and didn't have it either. Usually the ABC news carries local stuff, I don't get QLD coverage so that may be it.

Subjudice is basically a restriction on what the media can do while a criminal proceeding is under way. It’s a protocol which has evolved to try and limit the pressure that can be put on witnesses in criminal matters who may be influenced or intimidated by what is reported in the press. Courts, witnesses and juries ought to do their jobs based on the evidence put before them, not on the basis of things said outside the court. That’s a fair and reasonable position. Individuals do, of course, talk about criminal matters and that’s fair and reasonable too. People are entitled to form opinions and to express them. A balance has to be struck between these two competing interests. Generally the courts have done an excellent job at striking that balance. Those most affected by the subjudice protocols are journalists and the publishers they work for. That makes perfect sense given that the role of the media is to distribute information and opinion in a much wider and, usually, commercial context.

There has been some predictable debate and uncertainty in recent years about how the subjudice protocols should apply to internet based media, both commercial and informal. As far as I know, internet fora such as this one have yet to fall afoul of the common law subjudice rules in Australia. And in my personal opinion only, we are unlikely to see them become so liable unless it can be established that there is some deliberate agenda on behalf of forum owners and operators to deliberately influence a trial or witness.

As for individual forum contributors, in my personal view only, I wouldn’t worry about the coppers knocking on your door and threatening you with a subjudice contempt charge. The rules are aimed squarely at the publishers. That doesn’t mean that you should just ignore the whole issue of potentially influencing a trial unfairly of course.

We want people to be convicted on the basis of admissible evidence, not largely uninformed personal opinion. We don’t want to live in a community where people get off on threatening those charged with offences or by screaming for blood. 99% of people understand that though. And jurors are people like you and me. We aint morons. When a judge tells us to come to a decision based on the evidence we hear in the court we know that’s important and we are decent enough to do that.

If journalists think your deliberations and sharing with each other on this forum is primarily a vehicle for them to study you then that’s a bit sad given that most posters seem to be here to empathise with Allison and her family. But don’t be told what to think and feel with vague threats about subjudice.

Defamation. Most lawyers I know dread the client who comes in wanting to sue someone for defamation. They almost always underestimate the time, resources and money that go into getting a defamation matter in to court and significantly overestimate how much they will get in damages. That’s not to say that you can’t be sued for harming someone’s reputation by what you say on the net, but common sense will usually help you decide what’s appropriate and what isn’t.

All this is just IMO and MOO. If you think you are at some legal risk then go see a lawyer, don’t base your understanding of the law on stuff you see written by anonymous posters on the net. But by the same token don’t be bullied or scared into thinking your feelings and beliefs are not valid or welcome. We are all human being and humans are full of passion. Sometimes that passion makes us do awful things (like kill people) and sometimes it makes us do beautiful things (like put flowers on a bridge).

Looks like he's lost weight since the funeral. I've heard guilt can do that.

....but he still finds time to meticulously coif his beard, unlike the obviously very busy cop sitting beside him...

(just sayin)

:woohoo:

Now Ive had a chance to let this sink in (I caught the news while putting laundry away) and just stood staring with my mouth hanging open .... The QPS have done such a great job! I hope that the three girls and the Dickies are now given the privacy and time to heal. It is a sad realisation that GBC has been charged with murdering his wife. My wish now is that the process is swift with confessions to spare her family and children.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme