ARREST!!! Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 -#23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone was asking about remand conditions. Keentoknow will have a better idea but my view is this. When the prisoners go into Arthur Gorrie they try to get them into a routine asap to help focus off their troubles and minimise the risk of suicide attempts. Even without hanging points people try all sorts of things to kill themselves such as stuffing toilet rolls down their throat or trying to cut themselves with everything they can pick up. It's an awful mental shock to the system to have your liberty suddenly taken away. The staff discourage too much early communication with friends and family because this can make the new prisoner a bit sooky and emotional and that's a state that is recognied by other inmates who wil then try to take advatnage of the situation by intimidating or standing over the new bloke. It's in their own interest to toughen up a bit early on. If I was a kid the thought of a parent locked away like that would do my head in.

Would he immediately be mixed with convicted criminals?
One would think those awaiting trial don't get to play with the convicted ones until they have been to trial. Especially if he is awaiting a bail decision.

I would hate to see something happen before it has been proven that he did what they are saying. I want to see the right person convicted, but mistakes do happen from time to time and I am of the opinion that he is just a suspect and not the perpetrator at the moment.

Ever since I read about gbc's barrister and him being one of Australia's foremost experts on DNA etc, it has had me worried. And i cant stop thinking about it. Im concerned about whomever is responsible getting away with it (whether it turns out to be GBC or anyone else for that matter). Just by hiring someone who can get them off on a technicality or some other means. I just want the person responsible to be incarcerated.

So that said, when is the Prosecution team announced? Will they have equally sharp minds? I hope that they have some great people lined up for this one.

Hi guys,
Marly, when I went to look for the 543 posts you linked it came up with nothing found?
I had to run out earlier but did find another interesting one.
We can post it but not comment on the poster right?

Originally Posted by 543 View Post
I think that the husband is innocent....I would just like to understand how and why people think that he's not. The phone ... it's obvious....he would turn it off!! Maybe I'm missing something here....that's why I asked.

I really believe that the phone has nothing of significance on it....because she had no time to react...she was probably dead by the time she hit the ground...and the phone went flying...hence no one can find the phone!!

The significance of finding the phone is exactly where poor Allison passed away and will proove how she died...eg...the phone is 3 to 5 meters from the road in bush with possibly some disturbance of gravel. Sigh...it's been a while...so the disturbance has gone already by other people pulling over, etc.

The phone is of great significance.

Added Marly, my apolgies. Yes if you click on the posters name they come up. I was doing a search by member.

Would he immediately be mixed with convicted criminals?
One would think those awaiting trial don't get to play with the convicted ones until they have been to trial. Especially if he is awaiting a bail decision.

I would hate to see something happen before it has been proven that he did what they are saying. I want to see the right person convicted, but mistakes do happen from time to time and I am of the opinion that he is just a suspect and not the perpetrator at the moment.

Hawkins did not mention mixing with convicted inmates....He mentioned REMAND.

It will be a culture shock at first but they do not take long to fit in. Probably about 40 Prisoners per unit.

Should he want protection they have protection units as well.

I think we're all left with scratching our heads as to why he said "no"...lol.

I am no expert on committal hearings etc...however I don't believe that all committal hearings are open. I don't live in QLD so it may be different where I live but in the two cases where I have been a support person the committal hearing was a closed court. One of the cases was a murder case though the victim was a child, and the other case was one of a sensitive nature where parts of the trial are also closed. So these cases may have been the exception. Of course it may all be different up in sunny Queensland!

Ever since I read about gbc's barrister and him being one of Australia's foremost experts on DNA etc,

Do you have the info on this? Has he studied professionally with DNA or is his legal background to do with expertise in DNA as evidence?

I believe if the prosecution does not reveal all they have to the defence, they do get in trouble for it. The system is supposed to be fair. Hawkins would probably know.

My understanding is that any evidence they wish to use in court must be provided to the defence team in Discovery so that they can do their own testing refuting etc. A list of witness's each side are intending to call must also be provided to the defence and vis versa.
The real trick is when and how questions are phrased in order to trap witness's. These are not part of Discovery procedures.

I am no expert on committal hearings etc...however I don't believe that all committal hearings are open. I don't live in QLD so it may be different where I live but in the two cases where I have been a support person the committal hearing was a closed court. One of the cases was a murder case though the victim was a child, and the other case was one of a sensitive nature where parts of the trial are also closed. So these cases may have been the exception. Of course it may all be different up in sunny Queensland!

Hearings involving children are usually closed to the public. Here's a link that explains when open courts can close: http://www.courts.qld.gov.au/__data...xceptions-to-the-general-rule-of-openness.pdf

Cheers

Hi guys,
Marly, when I went to look for the 543 posts you linked it came up with nothing found?
I had to run out earlier but did find another interesting one.
We can post it but not comment on the poster right?

Originally Posted by 543 View Post
I think that the husband is innocent....I would just like to understand how and why people think that he's not. The phone ... it's obvious....he would turn it off!! Maybe I'm missing something here....that's why I asked.

I really believe that the phone has nothing of significance on it....because she had no time to react...she was probably dead by the time she hit the ground...and the phone went flying...hence no one can find the phone!!

The significance of finding the phone is exactly where poor Allison passed away and will proove how she died...eg...the phone is 3 to 5 meters from the road in bush with possibly some disturbance of gravel. Sigh...it's been a while...so the disturbance has gone already by other people pulling over, etc.

The phone is of great significance.

Added Marly, my apolgies. Yes if you click on the posters name they come up. I was doing a search by member.

Yep....Another post that made my skin crawl.... :(

Sorry guys, I am a bit behind and Hawkins ably answered the question of evidence and discovery.

I don't know if anyone has suggested this or not but after some research I came across this and it made me wonder.....Maybe it is possible that hair has been found at either crime scene or car and it is suspected to belong to a relative of GBC?

Maybe this relative (we all suspect who) has refused to give DNA sample so they are trying to match GBC's to verify that the hair belonged to a relative of his?

I know it could be a long shot but who knows it might be a possibility:waitasec:...Really interested to find out why hair sample is all they wanted and not blood or saliva?

It is making me Crazy with curiosity?

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/hair-analysis

Hair analysis can be used to check if people are blood relatives. Forensic hair analysis can be done to help identify a criminal by evaluating hair structure and DNA. Hair samples are tested with specific chemicals and looked at under a microscope. Hair analysis can also be used to check for poisoning caused by metals such as lead or mercury. But hair analysis alone usually is not used for this type of testing.

Hi Hawkins, I am interested in why you think the MSM won't report on commital proceedings? Unless the preliminary will be a paper commital?!?! I am personally not aware of any media restrictions on prelims, besides court imposed.

In my experience, committals are open to the public and able to be reported on - just like the trial itself. The only exception is when it is a child/juvenile case. Otherwise, I have never been excluded from a committal before...

Do you have the info on this? Has he studied professionally with DNA or is his legal background to do with expertise in DNA as evidence?

Im not really sure to be honest. Just read that he was very good at what he does and has been involved in some high profile cases in the past.

I guess I'm asking in a more general sense. Whether it is him that represents the accused or someone else and due to a technicality they are acquitted rather than lack of guilt (imo) iykwim.

It always made me sick to my stomach when people get away with serious crimes for something like that.

My understanding is that any evidence they wish to use in court must be provided to the defence team in Discovery so that they can do their own testing refuting etc. A list of witness's each side are intending to call must also be provided to the defence and vis versa.
The real trick is when and how questions are phrased in order to trap witness's. These are not part of Discovery procedures.

I just wanted some more info about the cost of all this if possible. Person A is accused of murder, can't get legal aid and has to engage barrister and lawyer. Witnesses need to be called (I assume that travel costs have to be paid), testing, experts etc. Are we talking hundreds of thousands, a million. What if the person can't pay , how do lawyers get their money.

I don't know if anyone has suggested this or not but after some research I came across this and it made me wonder.....Maybe it is possible that hair has been found at either crime scene or car and it is suspected to belong to a relative of GBC?

Maybe this relative (we all suspect who) has refused to give DNA sample so they are trying to match GBC's to verify that the hair belonged to a relative of his?

I know it could be a long shot but who knows it might be a possibility:waitasec:...Really interested to find out why hair sample is all they wanted and not blood or saliva?

It is making me Crazy with curiosity?

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/hair-loss/hair-analysis

Hair analysis can be used to check if people are blood relatives. Forensic hair analysis can be done to help identify a criminal by evaluating hair structure and DNA. Hair samples are tested with specific chemicals and looked at under a microscope. Hair analysis can also be used to check for poisoning caused by metals such as lead or mercury. But hair analysis alone usually is not used for this type of testing.

Agree mate thats what I though dna profiling for a relative match

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member