ARREST!!! Australia - Allison Baden-Clay, Brisbane QLD, 19 April 2012 -#24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Part of the email from Ian and Olivia Walton.

To: Our family and friends
Subject: PLEASE HELP

To our dear friends and family

Our extended family around the world and those of our friends folowing the news in AU will know the heartbreaking news that our sister-in-law Allison went missing on Arpril 20th and her body was found 11 days later. Last Wednesday, 13th June, my brother Gerard was arrested and charged with her murder. We completely support Gerard in his innocence and are unwavering in continuing to stand with him.

We have been led to believe that there are two key legal events between now and any trial that may commence.

1. This coming Thursday 21st June, Gerard will appear for a bail hearing. At this hearing there will be a determination as to whether or not he is able to be released from prison until such time as the trial begins – which we understand could be several years away.

2. In the next several months there will be a committal hearing. At this hearing, it will be determined on the ‘balance of probablilities’ whether there is any likelihood that Gerard may have committed this offence. If they feel this to be the case it will be referred to the Supreme Court, with a trial at a date to be determined (again, this could be several years away). I it is felt on this balance of probabilities that there is not sufficient evidence we underrstand that he will be released and the charges against him will be dropped.

We have been told by Gerard’s lawyer that he requires AU $30,000 by no later than this coming Wednesday evening, 20th June, or the bail hearing will not occur.

OMG So Allison just ended up under the Kholo Creek bridge 'on the balance of probabilities'? Talk about gall!!!!

I've tried to keep my posts focussed on the legal processes and such but this semi-public appeal for money from OW really takes the biscuit.

What an extraordinarily crass thing to do. If you don't have the money to pay the top silk then don't engage one. IMO it's a bit like saying I need a car therefore it has to be a Ferrari.

Next they will be bleating that he has been denied justice because he had to use a normal lawyer like us common folk.

Exactly, i find their naivety astounding.... Surely they had some clue that this was going to be a very costly exercise??

Let his family raise the money if they believe so strongly in him, take out loans, sell their cars etc.

Why should the public pay, its beyond disgusting.

I bet they will find the money no matter what.

I find it disgusting to ask for money for legal costs and not for your children, just disgusting.

Let him sell his cars or get legal aid.

Bayside , I agree with you . :rocker:

It is disgusting to ask for money for legal costs and not for your children,
just disgusting

So what are the chances the bail hearing won't be going ahead tomorrow?

maybe the 30k is for the Solicitor, so that he will attend???
It is possible this may be part of a strategy i.e. look at all the support he has in the community! All these good people gave their money for his defence. He has much support etc ... just my opinion, not fact.

I not only think it's absolutely disgusting of the family to do such a thing...I'm also disgusted with channel 10 for allowing it to be reported. Did they get permission for this email to be shown considering it said private & confidential????....In my opinion it's almost like a dirty piece of advertising for funds for GBC!!!!

Also...channel 10 the other night, in lead up to one of the reports said something along the lines of "GBC is another step closer to freedom"....as though it was a damn given that he'd get out.

just disgusting

Legal Aid is there for indigent persons. He would qualify as he apparently has no means or assets to sell. Legal Aid is means tested. If you own assets, a lien is usually taken over suitable assets, or in the case of a house, a caveat is taken over it. This means there is a charge over property, to be repaid when the property is sold or somehow paid back when the matter is finalized. However, if no assets, then no need to pay back.

this may be part of their defence strategy i.e. look at all the support he has in the community! All these good people gave their money for his defence. He has much support etc ... just my opinion, not fact.

Now you are thing like a seasoned deference lawyer............good point I agree.
That is if the alleged friends come forth. It could be nobody is willing to put their hand up. IMO

just disgusting

Couldn't agree more

Well, you all know I exercise 'self control', and my posts are always very subdued....

but I AM APPALLED!

Let his family raise the money if they believe so strongly in him, take out loans, sell their cars etc.

Why should the public pay, its beyond disgusting.

I bet they will find the money no matter what.

So, what will happen if they did not raise the $30,000? Can a Legal Aid defender be engaged at short notice like less than 24 hrs? Does the bail hearing get postponed or does he then loose his right to a bail hearing? Anybody knows?

I've tried to keep my posts focussed on the legal processes and such but this semi-public appeal for money from OW really takes the biscuit.

What an extraordinarily crass thing to do. If you don't have the money to pay the top silk then don't engage one. IMO it's a bit like saying I need a car therefore it has to be a Ferrari.

Next they will be bleating that he has been denied justice because he had to use a normal lawyer like us common folk.

You knocked the nail on the head.

Some remands get mum and dad and grandma to mortgage their homes for costs. Not realizing that their chances of recouping the money are very slim if ever.

Hi everyone - long time reader, first time poster.

Did anyone notice that GBC's face was obscured in the footage of the report?

Yes they've been doing that I think since the arrest...some damn pathetic law that disallows it.

this may be part of their defence strategy i.e. look at all the support he has in the community! All these good people gave their money for his defence. He has much support etc ... just my opinion, not fact.

IMO

You might well be right with this theory its a good one and seems a plausible approach by the Defence Team.

My personal opinion whilst not as plausible as yours is that the family is withholding all available funds to give to GBC once he gets bail on other peoples money so that he has enough money to flee.

Its not like hes going to be leaving anything behind, the three girls werent given much consideration with his alleged murder of their mother so I am sure he would be able to live with his concience leaving them in the capable of the Dickies. His business is worth nothing, his reputation is worth nothing, his family have nothing substantial to say in his defence, and Im sure that the Boy Scouts and the Chamber of Commerce do not want him.

I cant see anything keeping him here. He has nothing to lose, makes him a dangerous person. That to me IMO makes him a flight risk and as an alledged murder of someone close to him and mother of his children I would be extremely worried for anyone who got in his way whilst on the run.
I cannot possibly see how bail could be justified.

IMO

So, what will happen if they did not raise the $30,000? Can a Legal Aid defender be engaged at short notice like less than 24 hrs? Does the bail hearing get postponed or does he then loose his right to a bail hearing? Anybody knows?

I asked this question earlier re him getting another chance at a bail application and got no reply. I think we need Hawkins. :please:I would think if all procedures were followed correctly and the court was asked for more time to prepare, it would be granted ,but I really don't know for sure. Getting a legal aid lawyer at such short notice would be cause to delay the bail application on the basis that his new lawyer has not had time to prepare. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95