DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few interesting articles about psychopaths for those interested:

http://io9.com/5916074/should-we-eliminate-psychopaths-from-the-gene-pool

Snipped

Should we eliminate psychopaths from the gene pool?
Psychopaths make up an astounding 1 to 2 percent of the general population and occupy virtually every niche in society. Often ruthless, callous and completely devoid of empathy, they impose an incalculable toll on individuals and society. And science is increasingly learning that psychopathy may actually be a genetic disorder — one that could eventually be eliminated.

But what if it turns out that we actually need psychopaths?
As a term, psychopathy often means different things to different people. Part of the problem is that psychopathy is not a recognized clinical term, one that's defined within the DSM-IV. But this is starting to change. There's growing consensus among clinicians and neuroscientists that psychopathy does in fact exist as a meaningful and identifiable personality disorder. A growing community of experts are starting to use psychopathy as a clinical diagnosis.

Another part of the problem is that it's often used interchangeably with such terms as sociopathy and antisocial personality disorder (ASPD). While sociopathy is a rather vague term, ASPD does have a strict definition within the DSM-IV — but it's not the same same condition as psychopathy. ASPD is diagnosed based on behavioral patterns, while psychopathy includes behavior but also measurable cognitive, emotional, and neuropsychological differences from neurotypical people. And thanks to fMRI brain scans, neuroscientists are increasingly showing that there is a consistent and identifiable neurological basis for psychopathy.

In terms of definition, psychopathy is a personality disorder characterized by severe emotional dysfunction, especially a lack of empathy and remorse. Psychopaths exhibit consistent disregard for the feelings of others and the rules of society. They are completely unable to recognize such things as anger and fear in individuals, either based on facial expressions or verbal exclamations. In terms of behavioral traits, psychopaths are generally regarded as being callous, selfish, dishonest, arrogant, aggressive, impulsive, irresponsible, and hedonistic. At the same time, psychopaths often exhibit higher than average intelligence and a superficial kind of charm.

But clearly, given that nearly 2 in every 100 persons is a psychopath, they can't all be bad — otherwise society would have completely imploded by now. There's evidently more to this issue than meets the eye.

An underlying genetic basis

Scientists are increasingly finding a genetic basis to psychopathy. Work in genetics has revealed that the heritability coefficient for psychopathy is a shocking 50%. Psychopathy, it would appear, runs deeply in the family.

Moreover, neurologists are learning that psychopathy can manifest early in a person's life. There's an understandable reluctance to brand children as psychopaths, which is fair given the amount of stigma involved, and the fact that many children "act out" in age-appropriate ways. Consequently, therapists and researchers instead use the term "unemotional-callous" to describe what might actually be protopsychopathology.

Back in 2005, a twin study found that antisocial children could be classified into two groups: those who were influenced by both genetic and environmental factors, and those influenced by environmental factors alone. Of the two, the former group experienced the highest rankings of callous-unemotional traits.

But while genes may be a key factor, there's still plenty of room for environmental factors. It's thought that, while genetic factors may generally influence the development of psychopathy, the environment still affects the specific traits that predominate.

And an interesting book. I guess we should not find it surprising that adopting the certain behaviors of a psychopath may bestow certain advantages in "getting ahead of the game" when the game itself was developed largely by, and for the advantage of, psychopaths?

"The Wisdom of Psychopaths"

The Wisdom of Psychopaths

Author: Kevin Dutton
Category: Non-fiction Psychology Science
Publisher: William Heinemann (UK), FSG (US)
Pub date: Autumn 2012
Length: 320 pages

Psychopath. No sooner is the word out than images of serial killers, rapists, suicide bombers and gangsters come scything across our minds. But what if I were to paint you a different picture? What if I were to tell you that the psychopathic arsonist who sets fire to your house might also, in a parallel universe, be the person most likely to pluck you from the flames?

A claim like that is hard to believe. But it’s true. Unlike their box-office counterparts, not all psychopaths are violent. Far from it. In fact, they have a lot of good things going for them. Psychopaths are fearless, confident, charismatic, ruthless and focused – qualities tailor-made for success in 21st century society.

The Wisdom of Psychopaths is an intellectual rollercoaster ride that combines lightning hot niche science with unprecedented access to secret monasteries, Special Forces training camps, and rarefied psychopath wings of high security hospitals. We meet serial killers, war heroes, financiers, movie stars and attorneys - and discover something amazing. Beneath the hype and the popular characterization, psychopaths have something to teach us.

Just like the knobs on a mixing deck – the ‘soundtrack’ of psychopathy is graded. And that the right combination of psychopathic traits, sampled and mixed at carefully calibrated volumes, can put us ahead of the game.
About the Author

Kevin Dutton was born in London in 1967. He has a Ph.D in psychology, and is an expert on the science of social influence. He is a research fellow at the Faraday Institute, St. Edmund’s College, University of Cambridge, and at the University of Western Australia, in Perth.

http://www.convilleandwalsh.com/index.php/titles/title/the-wisdom-of-psychopaths/

I had a spirited conversation with my father several years ago before he got too old to remember everything, he was a prison psychiatrist for 40 years and we once had a discussion about my favorite basketball player Michael Jordan and we came to the possible conclusion that someone like him, who is ruthless, absolutely fearless, extremely confident to the point of being cocky and arrogant and whose desire to win burns inside of him and who will let no one get in his way to be the best there is, does indeed have many of the same traits a psychopath or sociopath has and that it is possible sports stars like him, guys who rise to the top when the game really matters and who perform when the pressure is really on and who will not let anyone stand in their way, who are ruthless and must win at all costs, may indeed be sociopaths/psychopaths. It was a really interesting discussion and there are a lot of these people all around us many of them who are war heros, sports stars and other famous men and women in history who have these same traits. Its really a fascinating thing to consider.

Those articles are fascinating, PAXIMUS. I have always suspected that psychopathy is part nature/part nurture. In other words, if the seed is there, someone may have a chance at being a functioning member of society, but if you add neglect and/or abuse to the mixture, watch out.

That reminds me of an article I read not too long ago about psychopaths making good CEOs:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2011/06/14/why-some-psychopaths-make-great-ceos/

He's not that deep. IMO; he only used that song in reference to American Psycho.

Welcome Baudi! I want to thank you and the entire group at FGJ for all the hard work & compassion that is evident in your quest.

I'm sure I am not the only person with a million questions for you but since it is quiet and I stumbled across some potentially insightful info this evening... (can't share with you peeps, sorry... not MSM)

Did FGJ ever determine if his $200 unspecified monthly medical expense might be for medication? such as... oh I dunno... maybe anti-psychotics, SSRI's, etc...? I'm very curious to learn if he has been previously diagnosed with a mental disease or disorder and has been off his meds.

Again WELCOME! We are very happy to have you here!!!

A final thought IF anyone is interested....

What is the point to all this discussion?

Well IMHO, whether or not you watched the video, this is a case that instead of a victim that is afar off, there is an actual film of the victim. A real person who was flesh and blood and existed. Much different to see the victim in actual death than to read ABOUT him/her in a news story.

Even if you did not see the video, you know it is real and it exists. Perhaps someone close to you was a victim of a heinous crime. Either way it is a wake up call to further alert us, motivate us to alert our children in the digital age, and an opportunity to discuss with our children the very real danger that exists on the internet....and finally, to direct us as to what clues may be present online that point to any future crimes that may be similar.

I for one think LE will be more apt to take such things (on line clues) more seriously. That is REAL progress.

All those who put in the hours and efforts contribute to this cause.

Sometimes to stop an injustice, to educate and protect our children, (or ourselves) we must stare ugliness in the face and conquer it. We cannot do that with our eyes covered, even when it hurts. We may not fully understand, but that is not the point.

Just like with animal abuse, (included in the case) in this Magnotta case, there must be those brave enough to put aside emotion and stomach reality.

My heartfelt empathy goes to those who will have to study the full length video, (assuming it exists) those who watched the video in order to investigate, and those who know about the video.

You are no less or more of a person for watching or not watching. Facing reality may be just knowing of the video. Nonetheless, you are all very brave to be here.

Nice meeting you. Have to go soon.

Very well said!:clap::clap:

It's not on there (under that user at least) anymore. I did click on the video they have uploaded and it was some weird video of Asian men rolling around naked or something. Anyway, I skipped forward to a random point and these people popped up in the corner (I guess they were the hosts of the show) and I almost jumped. I was expecting the killvid to pop up and they surprised me :doh:

Oh, thanks!

I was desperate when I saw it on there. I have seen it once. Some time ago, before the alert, before the findings, before I was aware of anything, sleepy, careless, not paying attention. I have regretted that many times since then. Is why I went into full red alert to get it offline on YouTube, for others, for the victim... well, just because.... thank god. It actually worked!

Hi FootballMom, thanks for the welcome. I really wish anything we had done had been able to stop him. We're all just... ya know... devastated.

As far as medication goes; Im not sure what Im allowed to say; Im not familiar with law in that area and don't want to jeopardize him being prosecuted.

Those articles are fascinating, PAXIMUS. I have always suspected that psychopathy is part nature/part nurture. In other words, if the seed is there, someone may have a chance at being a functioning member of society, but if you add neglect and/or abuse to the mixture, watch out.

That reminds me of an article I read not too long ago about psychopaths making good CEOs:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffbercovici/2011/06/14/why-some-psychopaths-make-great-ceos/
Yes, I would suggest a lot of the seats of power from politics to military to CEO of corporations are indeed occupied by psychopaths and that is just a really fascinating thing to think about IMO.

I bet a lot of movie stars are also.

And we can also add to the list of contributing factors: drugs (legal & illegal), brain injury, chemical/environmental exposure, disease, viruses, bacteria...

Pretty much anything and everything that is essential for us to survive as a species can also wipe us out... just ask the dinosaurs... oh wait... sorry.

And we can also add to the list of contributing factors: drugs (legal & illegal), brain injury, chemical/environmental exposure, disease, viruses, bacteria...

Pretty much anything and everything that is essential for us to survive as a species can also wipe us out... just ask the dinosaurs... oh wait... sorry.

Heh heh fluoridated water...

Oh... and just for the record. The Montreal Police now have my full details because I reported that vid. Even though I am in Denmark - as impossible as that may seem. They were meticulous in taking everything down. I felt rather reassured, and quite well treated. They were courteous, grateful, and very polite. Very nice people!

I'm out for the night ... see y'all tomorrow! :)

Yes, I would suggest a lot of the seats of power from politics to military to CEO of corporations are indeed occupied by psychopaths and that is just a really fascinating thing to think about IMO.

I bet a lot of movie stars are also.

Yep... and doctors (ESPECIALLY surgeons & anesthesiologists) - I almost married 2 of them (college boyfriend & then another)... Dodged those bullets! :woohoo:

Just had a random thought, that may have been brought up before, but I have fallen behind over the weekend and have decided to just insert myself into the middle of conversations, because I am cool like that... :not_ripe:

About the head... perhaps LM hid it somewhere, and intends to try to use it to get some sort of plea bargain? An "I'll tell you where it is if you reduce my sentence" kind of deal?

Just had a random thought, that may have been brought up before, but I have fallen behind over the weekend and have decided to just insert myself into the middle of conversations, because I am cool like that... :not_ripe:

About the head... perhaps LM hid it somewhere, and intends to try to use it to get some sort of plea bargain? An "I'll tell you where it is if you reduce my sentence" kind of deal?

IMO... no... he spent a lot of time focusing on the head (several images, kept with right leg & arm, etc...). I think he either kept it for himself somewhere or had or has something personal planned... its his pièce de résistance.

Yep... and doctors (ESPECIALLY surgeons & anesthesiologists) - I almost married 2 of them (college boyfriend & then another)... Dodged those bullets! :woohoo:

Here is something to consider, it almost seems as if certain positions in society REQUIRE one to be a sociopath or psychopath in order to perform the duties of that position properly.

Interesting thought, I would suggest if that head doesnt show up by Tuesday in the mail then we really need to start wondering where the hell it went.

He did something that will have ultimate shock value with that head, of that I am pretty certain, he wouldnt let that opportunity pass him by, sick fella that he is.

Here is something to consider, it almost seems as if certain positions in society REQUIRE one to be a sociopath or psychopath in order to perform the duties of that position properly.

That is quite interesting. Good psychopaths/sociopaths vs bad ones... people who use their 'difference' for good, instead of evil. I suppose this is where the nature/nurture thing comes in?

Interesting indeed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member