Aruba - Natalee Holloway, 18, Oranjestad, 30 May 2005 *AL extortion trial* *Guilty* #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Is Aruba going to finally charge this psychopath with Natalie’s murder?
They did everything they could to keep this killer out of jail at the time.
Well, now he’s confessed, justice comes when he is her convicted killer, not just the convicted extortionist of her mother.
Aruba has a 12 year statute of limitations for murder. I can't even begin to imagine what the rationale is behind that law.

Murder confession transcript has been released.

Transcript of a portion of a recorded interview of Joran van der Sloot

JVDS: Plus uh, she - she asked to go back to her hotel but I was just trying to get dropped off a little bit further away from her hotel so we could uh, walk back to her hotel and I might still get a chance to - to be with her.

BUTLER: Okay.

JVDS: That's what I was hoping for.

BUTLER: Okay, so what happens?

JVDS: Uhm, yeah, and Deepak drops me off at another place, uh, a little right of the ~ of the Marriott Hotel known as The Fisherman's Huts. Uhm, this place uh, is not so far from, you know, the next hotel is the Marriott, and the next hotel after that is a - another Marriott, which is a timeshare. And then it's the - the Holiday Inn. Uhm, we - we walk along the beach. Uh...

BUTLER: Alright uhm, do Deepak and Satish get out? Come with...uh, what -what- what happens?

JVDS: No, uh Deepak and Satish leave. Uh, they uh leave uhm, they go back to their home, I assume they go back to their home. Uhm, they get in their car and they leave. Uh, I'm actually with uh, I'm actually with uh, with Natalee, walking along the beach. Uh, I find a space before we get to the, before we get to the Marriott Hotel, where I lay her down, we lay down together in the sand and uh, we start kissing each other. I start ~ I get her to kiss me again and we start kissing each other. And uh, I start feeling her up again and she tells me no. She tells me she doesn't want me to - to feel her up. Uh, I insist, I keep feeling her up either way. Uhm, and uh she knees me uh, she ends up kneeing me in the crotch. Uh, when she knees me in the crotch, uh, I get up, uh, on the beach and I kick her ex - extremely hard in - in the face. Uhm, yeah, she's laying down uh, unconscious, possibly even uh, even dead, but definitely unconscious. And uhm, I see uh, right next to her there's a - there's a huge uh cinderblock laying on the beach.

BUTLER: When you say cinderblock, uhm, I'm looking at the walls of this uhm place, is it like those?

JVD5: Exact same cinderblocks. I see a - a huge cinderblock laying on the - on the beach, Uh, I take this and uh, yeah, I - I - I smash her head in with it completely. Uh, yeah, her face basically, you know, uh collapses in. Even though it's dark, I can see her face is collapsed in. Uhm, afterwards I don't exactly know uh, what uh, you know, I'm - I'm scared. I don't know what to do. Uh, and t uh, I decide to ~ to take her and uh - uh to put her into the ocean. So I grab her and I - I half uh, half pull and half walk with her into the ocean. Uhm, I uh, I push her off. Uh, I walk up uh, up to about my knees into the ocean and i push her off into - into the - into the - into the sea. Uhm, and uhm, yeah, after that I ~ I get out. I - I walk home.

Last edited:
If he is telling the truth, this was a sudden very rapid, and straight forward crime. Much less complicated than many thought it would be.

Hopefully the FBI has done a more detailed interrogation. What happened to the bloody cinder block? Was blood ever found on the beach?

This version of events does answer one of the the questions which has always nagged me about this case: How was JvDS able to transport the body around the island without leaving clues. He also seemed to quite lucky that the body did not wash ashore. Possibly the bloody injury he describes attracted sharks.

If he is telling the truth, this was a sudden very rapid, and straight forward crime. Much less complicated than many thought it would be.

Hopefully the FBI has done a more detailed interrogation. What happened to the bloody cinder block? Was blood ever found on the beach?

This version of events does answer one of the the questions which has always nagged me about this case: How was JvDS able to transport the body around the island without leaving clues. He also seemed to quite lucky that the body did not wash ashore. Possibly the bloody injury he describes attracted sharks.
Lots of missing stuff...did deepak really return for him? He must have been covered in blood or very wet without bloody shirt. Something is not ringing true about just putting her in the water. It must have been 3 am or so and they were right by the fishermen's huts. Early risers, fishermen. What, maybe 2-3 hours for the body to drift slowly along shore? Haven't heard about sharks, but that could be quick

Thank you, I missed that. I guess the most important thing was the admission of murder. Can't believe the freedoms of violent criminals in Peru. They deserve less freedoms, IMO
I'm shocked at the concurrency. Where on earth did that come from. It's win win win for him. That's definitely how it will be seen from Peru.

Is Aruba going to finally charge this psychopath with Natalie’s murder?
They did everything they could to keep this killer out of jail at the time.
Well, now he’s confessed, justice comes when he is her convicted killer, not just the convicted extortionist of her mother.
They have a 12-year statute of limitations.

I'm shocked at the concurrency. Where on earth did that come from. It's win win win for him. That's definitely how it will be seen from Peru.
I'm not shocked by this decision. He currently has time to serve until 2043 and a good chance he'll re-offend in his Peruvian prison as he did before -- drug charges, and will extend his stay! It's good for the US that he will not return to America or be a financial drain here in his old age for another 20 years. JMO

<modsnip - quoted post, response removed>

So now, yes, it's the details. Go up and read the DH statement, I am on the same page as he is regarding jvds just putting her body in the water. He doesn't appear to believe it nor do I. But we saw a small excerpt maybe he explains more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I followed this story from the very beginning. We lived in the same town at the time and the son of our neighbor across the street was on the same trip where Natalie went missing. So we knew before it made the news. I believe the first part of JVDS' confession is true - the disposal of the body not so much. At the time there was a report of the father, Paulus, taking money out of his ATM late at night and then borrowing a boat. Paulus also said at the time he would do ANYTHING for his son. With all the intense scrutiny after the disappearance I really think a body close to the shore would have been found pretty quickly. That's why I believe Paulus took the body and said he would "take care of it" and being on an island, of course, would take the body far out into the water instead of trying to hide or bury it. Paulus died a few years later so it is possible we will never know for sure.

I followed this story from the very beginning. We lived in the same town at the time and the son of our neighbor across the street was on the same trip where Natalie went missing. So we knew before it made the news. I believe the first part of JVDS' confession is true - the disposal of the body not so much. At the time there was a report of the father, Paulus, taking money out of his ATM late at night and then borrowing a boat. Paulus also said at the time he would do ANYTHING for his son. With all the intense scrutiny after the disappearance I really think a body close to the shore would have been found pretty quickly. That's why I believe Paulus took the body and said he would "take care of it" and being on an island, of course, would take the body far out into the water instead of trying to hide or bury it. Paulus died a few years later so it is possible we will never know for sure.
Yes I remember them borrowing a boat.

Yes I remember them borrowing a boat.
On one of our port calls in Aruba (on cruises), DH and I rented a car and took ourselves on a "Natalee Holloway tour." We took a lot of photos but don't share them on the internet. One of our stops was at the fisherman's huts - the area where Natalee and Joran were known to be. The huts are pretty shabby. There were several small rowboats and fish netting there when we walked around the area. In the wee hours, Joran (and one or both of the Kalpoe brothers) could have put Natalee and taken her out to sea in one of those small watercrafts.

I've thought of that but discarded it simply because of his legal occupation. Also that his wife would have known about big missing chunks of time, suspiciously dirty clothes etc but I never got a dishonest vibe from her.

Jvds had to be in the know with the bad actors on the island.

joran sure did throw his dad under the bus with the money transfer tale.

On one of our port calls in Aruba (on cruises), DH and I rented a car and took ourselves on a "Natalee Holloway tour." We took a lot of photos but don't share them on the internet. One of our stops was at the fisherman's huts - the area where Natalee and Joran were known to be. The huts are pretty shabby. There were several small rowboats and fish netting there when we walked around the area. In the wee hours, Joran (and one or both of the Kalpoe brothers) could have put Natalee and taken her out to sea in one of those small watercrafts.
Did the tour guide offer an opinion as to what "Aruba" was thinking?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shayput1996
Back