ARUBA - Robyn Gardner, 35, Maryland woman missing in Aruba, 2 Aug 2011 - # 1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
But, I thought there was a more recent article that said this may not be the case. I'm confused.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aruba Police 'Studying' Insurance Policy
Wednesday, August 17, 2011
Steve Fermier

Authorities in Aruba are not ready to say insurance for a missing Maryland woman included a $1.5 million accidental death policy on Robyn Gardner .

ABC News earlier reported that Gary Giordano of Gaithersburg bought a one year policy from American Express.

Gardner, from Frederick County, disappeared on August second.

The two flew to Aruba after Gardner told her boyfriend she was going to Florida.

http://www.wbal.com/absolutenm/templates/story.aspx?articleid=78602&zoneid=2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steve Fermier

Authorities in Aruba are not ready to say insurance for a missing Maryland woman included a $1.5 million accidental death policy on Robyn Gardner .

ABC News earlier reported that Gary Giordano of Gaithersburg bought a one year policy from American Express.

Giordano claimed that the two were snorkeling and when they swam back to shore she disappeared.

Solicitor General Taco Stein tells The Associated Press that prosecutors are still studying the policy and do not yet know if it has any relevance to their investigation into the presumed death of 35-year-old Robyn Gardner, of Frederick, Maryland.

Stein says that 50-year-old Gary Giordano confirmed to investigators that he had travel insurance. Stein says the policy covered both travelers, but that it wasn't clear whether it covered Gardner's accidental death. Nor was it clear who was the beneficiary.

The FBI is looking into the report. Giordano was ordered held for an additional 16 days after police arrested him.

Aruban authorities suspended the search for Gardner in the water.

The two flew to Aruba after Gardner told her boyfriend she was going to Florida.

So according to this, Taco Stein said prosecutors are still studying the policy, trying to determine relevance, but not disputing such a policy exists. The question now appears to be coverage of Gardner's accidental death and beneficiary. Correct?

So according to this, Taco Stein said prosecutors are still studying the policy, trying to determine relevance, but not disputing such a policy exists. Correct?

Thats the way I read it

Steve Fermier

Giordano claimed that the two were snorkeling and when they swam back to shore she disappeared.

Solicitor General Taco Stein tells The Associated Press that prosecutors are still studying the policy and do not yet know if it has any relevance to their investigation into the presumed death of 35-year-old Robyn Gardner, of Frederick, Maryland.

Stein says that 50-year-old Gary Giordano confirmed to investigators that he had travel insurance. Stein says the policy covered both travelers, but that it wasn't clear whether it covered Gardner's accidental death. Nor was it clear who was the beneficiary.

The FBI is looking into the report. Giordano was ordered held for an additional 16 days after police arrested him.

Aruban authorities suspended the search for Gardner in the water.

After going through the steps myself to secure AMEX travel insurance just now, I am very suspicious of premeditation at this point, provided what has been said about GG's policy is accurate. You have to upgrade to get that 1.5 million. It's an extra $418 to get the Platinum instead of Basic, and why would one do that?

GEEZ, insurance on someone you do not know and who just suddenly disappears..........

After going to through the steps myself to secure AMEX travel insurance just now, I am very suspicious of premeditation at this point, provided what has been said about GG's policy is accurate. You have to upgrade to get that 1.5 million. It's an extra $418 to get the Platinum instead of Basic, and why would one do that?

Maybe 1.5 million reasons

It was reported it was an AMEX policy.

https://www295.americanexpress.com/travel-insurance/home.do?aetiSource=G&extlink=pa-aeti-G

Clicking on the choices, one has to upgrade to Platinum to get the 1.5 million dollar policy. For two people, that costs $598 instead of $180, which would have been $250,000.

The policy says that if no remains are found after one year, the person is considered dead and the amount will be paid in full to the beneficiary.

Policy (a sample) can be read here:

https://secure.cmax.americanexpress...ument/AETI_Sample_Annual_Base_Certificate.pdf

Thanks. That seems pretty clear to me. Assuming that is the kind of policy he bought, I think it leaves little doubt, and explains a lot of otherwise inexplicable behavior. No need for a body. No need for a death certificate. Just drug her up, wait until she passes out, make sure she's dead or will be, and dump her off a cliff. Report her missing. Assume they will not be able to prove you did it. Wait a year. Piece of cake.

At least if you're a relatively stupid, violent psychopath.

Is it known for sure that this wasn't travel insurance?
It just seems incredibly stupid to buy accidental death insurance on someone and then they disappear. But of course plenty of criminals are stupid, fortunately.

Is it known for sure that this wasn't travel insurance?
It just seems incredibly stupid to buy accidental death insurance on someone and then they disappear. But of course plenty of criminals are stupid, fortunately.

I don't think we know for sure what kind of policy it is
Seems to be some confusion
GG told police he had purchased travel insurance IIRC

BUT somewhere this amount of 1.5 million has come out

ABC News said an Aruban police source

So according to this, Taco Stein said prosecutors are still studying the policy, trying to determine relevance, but not disputing such a policy exists. The question now appears to be coverage of Gardner's accidental death and beneficiary. Correct?

It is confusing to me but I read it as they're not in receipt of the actual policy. If they had the actual policy in hand, wouldn't it be easy to determine what all it entailed, whether or not it covered accidental death and especially who the beneficiary was ?
JMHO

After going through the steps myself to secure AMEX travel insurance just now, I am very suspicious of premeditation at this point, provided what has been said about GG's policy is accurate. You have to upgrade to get that 1.5 million. It's an extra $418 to get the Platinum instead of Basic, and why would one do that?

Wow - before all this about this insurance policy I was hesitant to believe it could have been premeditated but now...I don't know....and not to lend any more credence to the Mother/Daughter Duo, they're still sketchy to me, but I'll play along a minute and ask, could he have gotten 3 Million for that package deal? Kinda makes you take a second listen at what the mom said he said "I'll take care of you both for the rest of your life."

Maybe he wasn't kidding...or too worried about a long term committment to that.

If this guy owns a house worth over a mil and reportedly only makes 88k a year now take into account this recent insurance policy with this missing woman. Sounds to me this guy has done this before and got away with it. I will not be surprised to later learn of insurance fraud and another open investigation of a death. If I was an insurance agent I would be checking that guys name out for any policy. If I were the FBI that would be what I do right now!

This guy learned from the NH case that Aruba investigators are incompetent in solving or even finding a body. What other countries in the news were like this? Where else did this guy vacation in prior to buying that million dollar home?

It is confusing to me but I read it as they're not in receipt of the actual policy. If they had the actual policy in hand, wouldn't it be easy to determine what all it entailed, whether or not it covered accidental death and especially who the beneficiary was ?
JMHO

Yes, I believe you are correct - it would.

MOO

We need to start thinking about the matrix or spectrum of what he could have done... and the alternate ways of remains disposal.

Time to bring in the Mega-Sleuths.

For starters, this guy is described as a sugar daddy. He is liquid. This leads me to deduce that he bought help. The locals down there, GG is a dream to them. A guy who pays in cash. So he may have paid off say, two locals, to , oh, I don;t know, take her body out on their boat, out to sea, to dispose??

I would ask around at the local marina's.

Anyone smiling is a suspect. Ha, just kidding.

All kidding aside, let's mobilize some ideas as to what happened and where she is.

You guys/gals are the best. I am just a fan.

Your pal,

The Gajonka.

So it was not life insurance but travel insurance which you purchase in addition to your airfare and hotel stay it is easy to purchase. I don't think it pays out that much and I don't think she needs a medical exam or anything like that.

Maybe he thought he could drug her up and have her drown on her own, but it didn't work out - or maybe she is not missing but in it with him.

Why did she go on this trip, did any of her friends have some insight?

Just a thought -- the reports of GG's income are probably not reliable. Where did that come from, some business registry site? D&B? Those things are notoriously inaccurate for small companies that don't make public filings about their assets/income etc. The one for my company (which I think I know fairly well) is way, way off. Also, there is often a very big difference between "taxable income" (ie, what is reported as actual income) and the money that a business can throw off for its owners/managers. And I'm not talking about anything blatantly illegal. Just clever accounting.

So I wouldn't put much stock in the $88k thing. Personally.

Also, I doubt anyone really gets away with this more than once. If that. Insurance companies are not quite that stupid.

If I find another social networking type site where Robyn may have a profile at, am I allowed to post a link to it?

Something that also attracted attention is that Tuesday afternoon, when Giordano reported Gardner missing and the search for her started, Gary Giordano might have said at the police station in a meeting that he had lost Gardner from the morning, or much earlier. He changed his story immediately when he was asked why he had not reacted then. Correcting himself he said that it had happened that afternoon behind Nanki. There might still be certain details that bring on doubt about Gary Giordano, although he can not be considered guilty of any crime as yet.

http://arubaherald.com/911/863-poss...-womans-case-condom-and-blood-on-a-stone.html

We need to start thinking about the matrix or spectrum of what he could have done... and the alternate ways of remains disposal.

Time to bring in the Mega-Sleuths.

For starters, this guy is described as a sugar daddy. He is liquid. This leads me to deduce that he bought help. The locals down there, GG is a dream to them. A guy who pays in cash. So he may have paid off say, two locals, to , oh, I don;t know, take her body out on their boat, out to sea, to dispose??

I would ask around at the local marina's.

Anyone smiling is a suspect. Ha, just kidding.

All kidding aside, let's mobilize some ideas as to what happened and where she is.

You guys/gals are the best. I am just a fan.

Your pal,

The Gajonka.
I would look at the furthermost point from where he said he last saw her and look there, two hours goes far on a small island imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarneson59