Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree if law enforcement hadn’t named her as the suspect. I too try and maintain objectivity, but I feel they wouldn’t have done that without good reason. Maybe I place too much faith in investigators.
Truth.
I wonder what her present status is with them?
Not a word so far this morning, that I can find..

She claimed she made her purchase there. The dried mushrooms.
Nobody is admitting to death caps anywhere that I have seen.
But the insinuation and inuendo is obviously there.

Which is why the AMGA came out to support their industry against this insinuating lie.
Or she may be telling the truth and insinuating nothing. Maybe it is msm insinuating as to EP's supposed insinuations, at least partially. Just a thought.

I've speculated before that competent police will seek to verify every aspect of EP's written statement. They know already, Imo, if she purchased button mushrooms for the lunch as claimed. They are probably still looking painstakingly at Asian Grocers in Melbourne that sell dried mushrooms in the packaging that EP identified. Point is that EP may well have bought those mushrooms as she said she did. And she may have used them in the meal. I do agree that it was not either of those mushrooms (if they were bought and used in the meal by EP) that poisoned her in-laws, the guests at lunch. Moo.

It wouldn't be the first time that someone had tampered with food or medicine in a shop.

Just because no one else has become ill, doesn't mean that someone couldn't possibly have tampered with one packet of mushrooms and she was the unlucky one who bought them.

It may have been the button mushrooms and some now serial killer may be enjoying seeing his or her results.

The rest, the dehydrator could just have been panic on her part after the ex husband frightened her.

And just completely coincidental that she cooked the meal and is absolutely fine though.

I swear earlier in this thread today I saw a media link saying EP was (in essence) MIA. However I just flicked back through the thread and can’t see anything.
Anybody know?
Innocent or guilty, I hope she is okay. Especially for her kids’ sake. It’d be gut wrenching to see your mum dragged over hot coals in the media.

Someone earlier had said that perhaps there were two Beef Wellingtons, one with the poison, another, without. My only question is, if so, why didn’t she serve the “poisonless” when Simon didn’t show up? Or could it be so that everyone was waiting for him, and he simply skipped the dinner? It could have happened. Everyone is waiting for him, and he changed his plans but didn’t tell anyone.
I think that the testimony of both Simon and the survivor would be very helpful.
I think it was me who said this, and the reason IMO could be that if the conversation about EP possibly reconciling with Simon was met with resistance from the dinner guests then this could have been the deciding factor to serve the poisoned dish IMO. If the guests said they’d be overjoyed at a reconciliation and would try to encourage Simon to get back together with EP then that could have been a deciding factor to serve the poisonless dish.

Personally, I’m wondering whether EP was the one who wanted a reconciliation and Simon perhaps wasn’t having it. Maybe EP invited his parents and aunt & uncle round as a last ditch effort in the hope they’d be willing to try and talk Simon into reuniting with her. Maybe her request was met with resistance and this angered her, the knowledge that her final attempt had failed could have been the ‘straw that broke the camels back’ and the decision was made to serve the poisoned dish to her guests. Leaving the unpoisoned one(s) for her children to have as ‘leftovers’, with the button mushrooms she has mentioned scraped off.

This scenario would explain the 2 different types of mushroom, one apparently (according to EP) purchased at the Asian food store and the other from a supermarket.

I think there is usually a little truth in every lie. Perhaps there were 2 different kinds of mushroom, that were used to prepare two ‘versions’ of the beef Wellington. Perhaps the children did consume beef Wellington with the mushrooms scraped off - but maybe it was the alternative one she had prepared and would have served had the conversation went her way. This is all JMO

ETA - Perhaps when EP learned that Simon wouldn’t attend the dinner, she became incensed and decided if she couldn’t get his family on board, then she would punish him instead. Had Simon attended, I don’t think there would have been any poison in the meal, personally I’m wondering if it all wasn’t a case of ‘a woman scorned’
MOO

Last edited:
I think it was me who said this, and the reason IMO could be that if the conversation about EP possibly reconciling with Simon was met with resistance from the dinner guests then this could have been the deciding factor to serve the poisoned dish IMO. If the guests said they’d be overjoyed at a reconciliation and would try to encourage Simon to get back together with EP then that could have been a deciding factor to serve the poisonless dish.

Personally, I’m wondering whether EP was the one who wanted a reconciliation and Simon perhaps wasn’t having it. Maybe EP invited his parents and aunt & uncle round as a last ditch effort in the hope they’d be willing to try and talk Simon into reuniting with her. Maybe her request was met with resistance and this angered her, the knowledge that her final attempt had failed could have been the ‘straw that broke the camels back’ and the decision was made to serve the poisoned dish to her guests. Leaving the unpoisoned one(s) for her children to have as ‘leftovers’, with the button mushrooms she has mentioned scraped off.

This scenario would explain the 2 different types of mushroom, one apparently (according to EP) purchased at the Asian food store and the other from a supermarket.

I think there is usually a little truth in every lie. Perhaps there were 2 different kinds of mushroom, that were used to prepare two ‘versions’ of the beef Wellington. Perhaps the children did consume beef Wellington with the mushrooms scraped off - but maybe it was the alternative one she had prepared and would have served had the conversation went her way. This is all JMO

ETA - Perhaps when EP learned that Simon wouldn’t attend the dinner, she became incensed and decided if she couldn’t get his family on board, then she would punish him instead. Had Simon attended, I don’t think there would have been any poison in the meal, personally I’m wondering if it all wasn’t a case of ‘a woman scorned’
MOO

Beef Wellington is one of the most complex meals you can make so I believe if done deliberately then she had this planned out.

Last edited:
Or she may be telling the truth and insinuating nothing. Maybe it is msm insinuating as to EP's supposed insinuations, at least partially. Just a thought.

I've speculated before that competent police will seek to verify every aspect of EP's written statement. They know already, Imo, if she purchased button mushrooms for the lunch as claimed. They are probably still looking painstakingly at Asian Grocers in Melbourne that sell dried mushrooms in the packaging that EP identified. Point is that EP may well have bought those mushrooms as she said she did. And she may have used them in the meal. I do agree that it was not either of those mushrooms (if they were bought and used in the meal by EP) that poisoned her in-laws, the guests at lunch. Moo.
AMGA industry is not the dried variety.
They made a statement to reassure the public that dC's could not be inadvertently mixed with their supermarket fresh mushrooms.
To allay fears.

They did not speak for the dried mushrooms which are the ones that everybody suspects could be contaminated with dC's, if it is a thing that DC's are the causative agent.

I swear earlier in this thread today I saw a media link saying EP was (in essence) MIA. However I just flicked back through the thread and can’t see anything.
Anybody know?
Innocent or guilty, I hope she is okay. Especially for her kids’ sake. It’d be gut wrenching to see your mum dragged over hot coals in the media.
I didn't see it but it wouldn't surprise me... I hope she is okay too but she does not look to be okay... if she's there alone in that big house the walls and the accusations and bullying must be getting to her as they would to anyone, guilty or not.

AMGA industry is not the dried variety.
They made a statement to reassure the public that dC's could not be inadvertently mixed with their supermarket fresh mushrooms.
To allay fears.

They did not speak for the dried mushrooms which are the ones that everybody suspects could be contaminated with dC's, if it is a thing that DC's are the causative agent.
I don't know who that everybody is. I don't think she actually purchased any dried mushrooms from some asian grocer she can't name. I think she foraged them and dehydrated them using that dehydrator she tried to dispose of.

She was admitted to hospital and treated, as you know. I wouldn't call that fine.
I could show up in the hospital right now and claim I have a tummy ache. I would probably be treated with something because how do they prove I don't have a tummy ache? Saline drip-isn't that what she got for her treatment?

She was admitted to hospital and treated, as you know. I wouldn't call that fine.

Actually we don’t know what she was admitted with as it’s a story she told. The hospital always has to do sue diligence when somebody claims something is wrong.

3 people died and one is in critical condition so yes I would call that fine under the circumstances:D

Actually we don’t know what she was admitted with as it’s a story she told. 3 people died and one is in critical condition so yes I would call that fine under the circumstances:D
It's a fact that can be checked by lE.
We're not conducting the actual investigation.
they are.
Certain matters are recorded.
They can be checked.

I'm up to speed on the known facts of the case, but thanks for filling me in.

Do they have farmer’s markets in Australia where a bunch of different vendors sell products, including produce they’ve grown themselves? If so, and if she is guilty, THAT would’ve been the place to say they were purchased and dried months ago, not a regulated grocery store. In my state at least (Midwest USA), there are no regulations/testing/oversight on consumables sold at farmer’s markets.

EDIT: Could a small niche grocery store have purchased some products from a farmer’s market to supplement their inventory? Highly unlikely, but scary to think what we could be buying at farmer’s markets…

Do they have farmer’s markets in Australia where a bunch of different vendors sell products, including produce they’ve grown themselves? If so, and if she is guilty, THAT would’ve been the place to say they were purchased and dried months ago, not a regulated grocery store. In my state at least (Midwest USA), there are no regulations/testing/oversight on consumables sold at farmer’s markets.
Well she didn't say it so that's neither here nor there.

Mushroom Sellers in OZ. None at Farmers' Markets?
esp since in oz all mushrooms sold in supermarket/grocery stores are grown hydroponically .she didnt buy them from a weekend farmers market or such.
@mangoes999 Statement ^ may be totally correct. IDK.

But "The Agaricus bisporus mushroom accounts for over 90% of the mushrooms sold in Australia." * Not 100%.

From "OFFICIAL STATEMENT - Leongatha Wild Mushroom Poisoning...."We strongly urge people to only consume mushrooms sold at a trusted retailer, like a supermarket, green-grocer or quality farmers market." **

Mushrooms other than the agaricus bisporous (however grown***) are sold in OZ, per this industry assoc.

Seems open to interp. that some small vendors at farmers' markets or roadside stands MAY grow (or forage!!!) and
sell other types of mushrooms. Vendors may or may not be mushroom-knowledgeable.
Those sales may or may not be subject the same statutory or regulatory agency scrutiny as bigger commecial producers. IDK.

Not saying EP bought DC mushrooms at farmers' market; just saying it's possible she may have, imo.

*** Hydroponics - Wikipedia

It's a fact that can be checked by lE.
We're not conducting the actual investigation.
they are.
Certain matters are recorded.
They can be checked.

I'm up to speed on the known facts of the case, but thanks for filling me in.
Agree, that investigators should be able to verify that part of EP's statement. The ABC already seems to have verified that she was sent to Monash from the Gippsland Medical Centre. (Privacy Act would prevent GMC providing more details than what is reported below).
Moo

"She said she was transported by ambulance from the Leongatha Hospital to the Monash Medical Centre in Melbourne on July 31.

The Gippsland Southern Health Service confirmed a fifth person who presented at Leongatha Hospital on July 30 with suspected food poisoning later returned and was sent to Monash."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
earworm