Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the article, the creepy "death-themed" graffiti was done by the teenage daughter.

Not that surprising to me if a kid that age goes through a phase like that, being rebellious or trying to get a reaction out of the parents/ other adults.

Especially if surrounded by people who are very religious.

Parents may have allowed her to write/draw on the walls at home so she would be less tempted to vandalize the school or other public places.
Teen rebelling against religious parents seems quite likely. Moo.. It's a dramatic and probably well paid story for commercial current affairs program but hardly an automatic 10 on the nefarious scale. Within the realms of normal if quite expressive. The story will probably be a ratings hit if A Current Affair buy it. Jmo

It happens.
I'm a big death metal fan which doesn't extend to my home decor but many people love and embrace it

sure. wouldn't say its normal though. I do know someone who did a mural on one of their walls, and it was one that developed organically over time, and he did it with his daughter (they're both artists). But it was very PG rated. No decapitated heads or gravestones. More abstract

eta also they've never been implicated in a poisoning...

"This fungus (death caps) only grow in the wild," the association said in a statement.

"Commercial mushrooms are grown indoors in environmentally controlled rooms with strict hygiene protocols and food safety standards.

"The only mushrooms you can be sure are safe are fresh, Australian-grown mushrooms bought from a trusted retailer."

There have been no ordered recalls of mushroom products in the state since the suspected poisonings.
Does that suggest their deaths are not associated with the dried mushrooms or that they have proof that the deaths were caused by another substance producing similar symptoms to dm poisonings?

Food safety would have been on that in a single instant tracking and tracing every source ever of a product as dangerous as this..

They would definitely be pulled immediately and warnings issued state wide..

This substance could potentially kill millions..

I'd imagine even terrorism staff would have investigated.

She has not been arrested.

These investigations move faster than light and demand an all hands on deck response at every level of security and whereas that may have happened sub radar nothing has been published, not even by the dailymail....

They have stopped short of a full product recall. This means the mushrooms were not to blame because it can have no other meaning.

no way would take a chance with this.

There are three substantive issues
1- who else had access to her ingredients?
2. Were any samples of the dishes other people brought available for testing and if so was the analysis clear?
3. Toxicology from victims.

'She said they were a handwritten, white label and we have never sold that,' he said.

Around the corner, Daily Mail Australia was provided similar answers from both the East Mart and 28 Mart.

East Mart did not even sell dried mushrooms, with the shopkeeper - via use of Google Translate - showing his fridge stocked with only fresh or frozen mushrooms.

28 Mart's dried mushroom products were all neatly labelled, with that shopkeeper also disputing claims poisonous dried mushrooms had been sold in Mount Waverley.

'I sell dried mushrooms, do you want to try?' the shopkeeper asked.
“On Tuesday, Daily Mail Australia visited Asian grocers in and around the heart of the suburb's busy shopping precinct.”

I actually really love that the Daily Mail went around to the Asian grocers in the person of interest’s town! A+, these journalists are thorough and I am here for it!

Victoria Police’s homicide squad, which is investigating the case, urged people to stay away from wild mushrooms and only eat those that are available at supermarkets as they tried to work out the details of the case.

But Patterson claims she bought dried mushrooms from an Asian grocer in Melbourne months ago and button mushrooms from a supermarket chain more recently.

She said both sets of mushrooms were used in a beef wellington that she cooked and served in the family lunch, ABC reported citing Patterson’s statement.
RBBM. Everyone keeps saying that. Imoo it's pretty obvious that the poisoning wasn't caused by any mushrooms that EP may have purchased from a local store (buttons) or an Asian Grocer months previously in Melbourne, which (if she is telling the truth) she used in the lunch. Not saying the victims were not poisoned at the lunch - just saying the source was very likely not store and grocer bought mushrooms if they were amongst the ingredients used. Moo

RBBM. Everyone keeps saying that. Imoo it's pretty obvious that the poisoning wasn't caused by any mushrooms that EP may have purchased from a local store (buttons) or an Asian Grocer months previously in Melbourne, which (if she is telling the truth) she used in the lunch. Not saying the victims were not poisoned at the lunch - just saying the source was very likely not store and grocer bought mushrooms if they were amongst the ingredients used. Moo

If the source is not mushrooms at all what presents as a similar poisoning?
edit Mushroom poisoning

I'm going to search for similar symptom producing edibles and non edibles..

sure. wouldn't say its normal though. I do know someone who did a mural on one of their walls, and it was one that developed organically over time, and he did it with his daughter (they're both artists). But it was very PG rated. No decapitated heads or gravestones. More abstract

eta also they've never been implicated in a poisoning...
The teenage daughter who reportedly painted on the wall isn't implicated in poisoning is she?.

If the source is not mushrooms at all what presents as a similar poisoning?
I wouldn't know. Something that destroys the liver? It could still be from mushrooms or mushroom based (powder etc) just not any that were bought at a store or grocer and used in the dish for all the reasons you have already given in your post just a moment ago.

ETA: Moo

Teen rebelling against religious parents seems quite likely. Moo.. It's a dramatic and probably well paid story for commercial current affairs program but hardly an automatic 10 on the nefarious scale. Within the realms of normal if quite expressive. The story will probably be a ratings hit if A Current Affair buy it. Jmo

I was a goth as a teen and in no house I went to did parents let their kids draw decapitated heads on their dining room wall.... Far from normal even in those circles.

I wouldn't know. Something that destroys the liver? It could still be from mushrooms or mushroom based (powder etc) just not any that were bought at a store or grocer and used in the dish for all the reasons you have already given in your post just a moment ago.

There's a few mushrooms that produce similar symptoms, I'm trying to find all substances that produce similar symptoms , so similar that the dcap mushrooms was announced as cause.

What if it was something else entirely?

In regard to the Daily Mail reporting a tradie painted over a wall covered in creepy graffiti in a house she owns we don't really know if the daughter did it, it may have been a new investment house she purchased with some of her millions.....https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12407245/The-creepy-satanic-home-Victorias-suspected-mushroom-poisoning-cook-disturbing-called-death-wall.html?ico=related-replace In the video of her at her house, she is saying that they were great people, but all the time staring blankly and shaking her head, her body language saying completely the opposite....I am trying to find a link to the video.....

Last edited:
Ok, will look up symptoms for death caps and do some reading...

This is where we run into it.

Would need a comparison with replicated peer reviewed data from Scholar and search under those terms.. would be a very complex search because it would have to be limited to dc mushroom symptomatology, test results and effects on every organ in the body plus vascular...plus co existing conditions plus plus plus...

Also all known methods of ingestion...
producing the exact same biochemistry..
this makes me think of gases.

Did both couples travel home in one or two vehicles following the meal?

“A field mushroom is very obviously a field mushroom and most people would never pick something else,” Bonnie Cook, 76, of South Gippsland, told the Times. “I know that I would never eat or pick or touch, even … So I don’t know — it’s just a terribly sad situation.”

“This is something nobody will ever forget,” one told the Morning Herald.
“I collapsed at home, then was in an induced coma for 16 days through which I had three emergency operations mainly on my small intestine, plus an additional planned operation,” he reportedly wrote. “My family were asked to come and say goodbye to me twice, as I was not expected to live.”

Patterson suspected his unforeseen illness had been linked to eating nightshades, a family of plants that includes tomatoes, potatoes and peppers.

All nightshade vegetables contain alkaloids like solanine, a chemical that can be toxic in high concentrations.

“It’s a personal family tragedy and it reaches out to all the people who touched their lives,” close family friend Jenni Keerie told the Morning Herald. “We are trying to come to terms with what that means for our own lives.”

“People are talking because the only person who didn’t get any sort of illness from the mushrooms is the person who cooked it,” Max Vella, 16, who works at the supermarket in Korumburra, told the Times of London

They were not living together at the time, they separated formally in '21 and had lived apart for years prior.

Here: "But this wasn’t the first time Erin’s cooking allegedly made someone sick.

Her ex-husband, Simon Patterson reportedly spending 16 days in an induced coma with a mysterious gut illness last year after eating food served by her.

“Simon suspected he had been poisoned by Erin,” a source told The Herald Sun. “There were times he had felt … a bit off and it coincided when he spent time with her.”

After recovering, Simon writing about his puzzling May 2022 ailment on Facebook.

“I collapsed at home, then was in an induced coma for 16 days through which I had three emergency operations mainly on my small intestine, plus an additional planned operation,” he reportedly wrote. “My family were asked to come and say goodbye to me twice, as I was not expected to live.”

Patterson suspected his unforeseen illness had been linked to eating nightshades, a family of plants that includes tomatoes, potatoes and peppers.

All nightshade vegetables contain alkaloids like solanine, a chemical that can be toxic in high concentrations.

Investigators say Simon and Erin had separated amicably after living in separate homes for years."

Source:

ETA it could have been belladonna JMO
It would be interesting to look at the list of Simon's symptoms. We're his pupils dilated?

Last edited:
If that were the case, you’d be better off telling the truth and saying you had no idea they were poisonous.

I suspect that story wouldn’t fly because she knows a lot about mushrooms, including poisonous ones - enough such that her family etc would tell police to that effect.
I’m just becoming aware of this case. Why does she know a lot about mushrooms and how does everyone know this?

TIA!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member