Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was quite prepared to think this was a horrible accident, and she had picked them herself and added them to the meal then panicked .. until she started explaining herself. Now I am almost positive she deliberately poisoned them. All I need now are computer searches on Death Cap Mushrooms to seal the deal.

It is also very unlikely that she just happened to pick up the one untainted Beef Wellington Pie for herself.

I doubt we shall find computer searches. She is a smart, quiet, planning woman. If she is searching, she'd do it in a library.

But, she pays cash and is good with money. Her purchase sheets, including mushrooms, could be there. And the ones from 2018-2022 as well.

The teenage daughter who reportedly painted on the wall isn't implicated in poisoning is she?.

No she's not, but in my head I was semi replying to a previous poster who'd implied she (Erin) might have been throwing her daughter under the bus by saying she'd drawn it. Sorry, I wasn't clear at all. I need to remember y'all can't read my mind haha.

I was a goth as a teen and in no house I went to did parents let their kids draw decapitated heads on their dining room wall.... Far from normal even in those circles.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. Like, home decorating being a little less 'live laugh love' than normal? Sure, absolutely. But not this mess. It looks more like something you'd find in a drug den and I know people love to stereotype metal fans but I know people in metal bands who are successful corporate career types by day whose houses look totally normal. Music taste is so irrelevant!

What it does remind me of is a young teenage relative of mine who went through a period of intense anxiety and drawing on the wall was one thing she used to do and it did get kinda dark at times. But she was taken to a psychiatrist, and treated. Her music taste runs to Taylor Swift and Olivia Rodriguez, fwiw.

No she's not, but in my head I was semi replying to a previous poster who'd implied she (Erin) might have been throwing her daughter under the bus by saying she'd drawn it. Sorry, I wasn't clear at all. I need to remember y'all can't read my mind haha.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. Like, home decorating being a little less 'live laugh love' than normal? Sure, absolutely. But not this mess. It looks more like something you'd find in a drug den and I know people love to stereotype metal fans but I know people in metal bands who are successful corporate career types by day whose houses look totally normal. Music taste is so irrelevant!

What it does remind me of is a young teenage relative of mine who went through a period of intense anxiety and drawing on the wall was one thing she used to do and it did get kinda dark at times. But she was taken to a psychiatrist, and treated. Her music taste runs to Taylor Swift and Olivia Rodriguez, fwiw.
This is the post to which you replied and I wrote it and there is nothing in that post implying Erin was throwing her daughter under a bus.

[bbm]

As her guests fell critically ill, Ms Patterson said she was contacted by the Department of Health and asked what might have caused the violent reaction to the meal.

She said she preserved what was left of the lunch and gave it to hospital toxicologists for examination.
She said she told investigators from the department where she had bought the mushrooms – although was unable to identify the specific shop in Melbourne where she bought the dried fungi.

Ms Patterson said officials from the Department later sent her photographs of packs of mushrooms with hand-written labels, similar to those she described to them.

I would guess by now those toxicologists would have determined the toxin involved.

She says that she gave leftovers (scraped of mushrooms) to her children.

It's reported elsewhere that she also gave samples to police. I'm now wondering how much of the original meal was left over.

But no real proof what she handed over was the actual food she fed the people who became sick. More likely untainted food she fed herself.

But no real proof what she handed over was the actual food she fed the people who became sick. More likely untainted food she fed herself.
Exactly, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence, or whatever the saying is. Also, if she presented to hospital feeling unwell as she claimed to have, then it would have to be from something all 5 of them consumed, not something the 4 guests ate (or were exposed to) before or after the lunch. To me, that puts any discussion of what the 4 of them may have consumed outside of the lunch to bed. Moo

I doubt we shall find computer searches. She is a smart, quiet, planning woman. If she is searching, she'd do it in a library.

A smart person would not be talking about the food dehydrator at the hospital then dumping it right after at the local tip where it could be recovered. . A smart person would admit to accidently picking the mushrooms and pretending it was all a tragic accident. She seems quite stupid to me

It will be interesting to hear what the various toxicology reports find, or have found. If nothing toxic, and given the deaths, then one would have to question what was handed over for testing.

Ahem.
Older people enjoy death metal too and some of us even like the art, while still being spiritually inclined.

(Reportedly) depictions of severed heads on a dining room wall enjoyable? By ghouls maybe. As the saying goes, there's no accounting for taste.

If the story is true then Chez Patterson is sounding like Weirdsville to me.

Last edited:
(Reportedly) depictions of severed heads on a dining room wall enjoyable? By ghouls maybe. As the saying goes, there's no accounting for taste.

If the story is true then Chez Patterson is sounding like Weirdsville to me.
It comes in all shapes and sizes.
It has nothing to do with the current investigation as far as we know, does it?

Her children were not present at the time of the meal (they were at the movies), but they ate the leftovers the following night but she scraped off the mushrooms because her children "do not like mushrooms"
BBM. This part makes no sense. I don't know how old the children are, but if they're old enough to go to the movies without parental supervision (did they drive, or is the cinema within walking distance?), they're old enough to scrape off their own mushrooms. Plus, I've only seen this dish in photos, and whether it was made as one giant piece or in individual pies, you'd really have to make a mess deconstructing it to remove the mushrooms. And if the poison is that strong, wouldn't it sort of get through the entire dish? Have the police spoken with the children? (I'm having trouble believing anything E has said, but this part really stands out for me.)

Here: "But this wasn’t the first time Erin’s cooking allegedly made someone sick.

Her ex-husband, Simon Patterson reportedly spending 16 days in an induced coma with a mysterious gut illness last year after eating food served by her.

“Simon suspected he had been poisoned by Erin,” a source told The Herald Sun. “There were times he had felt … a bit off and it coincided when he spent time with her.”

After recovering, Simon writing about his puzzling May 2022 ailment on Facebook.

“I collapsed at home, then was in an induced coma for 16 days through which I had three emergency operations mainly on my small intestine, plus an additional planned operation,” he reportedly wrote. “My family were asked to come and say goodbye to me twice, as I was not expected to live.”

Patterson suspected his unforeseen illness had been linked to eating nightshades, a family of plants that includes tomatoes, potatoes and peppers.

All nightshade vegetables contain alkaloids like solanine, a chemical that can be toxic in high concentrations.

Investigators say Simon and Erin had separated amicably after living in separate homes for years."

Source:

ETA it could have been belladonna JMO
It would be interesting to look at the list of Simon's symptoms. We're his pupils dilated?

Ms Patterson alluded to media speculation about the fact her estranged husband, Simon Patterson, reportedly spent a fortnight in hospital in May last year with a severe stomach illness unrelated to the current incident.

In her statement, Ms Patterson said she "reluctantly" agreed to nurse Simon Patterson for three weeks after he was discharged from hospital, before telling him that she did not want to reconcile with him.

Maybe EP just couldn't stand stressful meetings/family stuff/gatherings/interventions/religious stuff/whatever and what she thought or hoped were 'magic' turned out to be 'tragic' when she attempted to chill out the lunchtime crowd for an easier afternoon.

JMO obvs.

By this time, the hospital would have known that the other guests at the lunch were deathly ill so it stands to reason that they would have been extra careful in treating Erin. According to her own statement they gave her an IV and a "liver protective drug". But everyone in the ER gets fluids and the drug was probably just precautionary.

It doesn't seem like the hospital did anything more that the basics. They apparently never admitted her for overnight observation, which you would think they would do if there was any serious concern about her health.

I guess they had no grounds to justify the ethics or costs of taking up a hospital bed when a sick person could better need it?

Also I don't know how it is in Australia but here in UK there's a policy not to keep people in hospitals unless it's urgent because of the risks of hospital acquired diseases and infections. I guess she had no worrying vital signs. I'm sure she'd have been in shock and terror whether she did poison her friends or didn't either way it's a pretty frightening situation to be in!

Maybe EP just couldn't stand stressful meetings/family stuff/gatherings/interventions/religious stuff/whatever and what she thought or hoped were 'magic' turned out to be 'tragic' when she attempted to chill out the lunchtime crowd for an easier afternoon.

JMO obvs.
they're not really similar in appearance though but thank you for thinking outside the box.

BBM. This part makes no sense. I don't know how old the children are, but if they're old enough to go to the movies without parental supervision (did they drive, or is the cinema within walking distance?), they're old enough to scrape off their own mushrooms. Plus, I've only seen this dish in photos, and whether it was made as one giant piece or in individual pies, you'd really have to make a mess deconstructing it to remove the mushrooms. And if the poison is that strong, wouldn't it sort of get through the entire dish? Have the police spoken with the children? (I'm having trouble believing anything E has said, but this part really stands out for me.)

Also 'scraping off the mushrooms' it makes no sense in the context of how this dish is created. Although we still don't have verified information of what exactly was served do we?

If the mushrooms were served on the side or in a sauce poured over the top then that would be a bit more like it.

I wonder, if E did do this, whether she was simply hoping to make everyone a bit poorly and put a strain on their vital organs that would be detrimental slowly over time and therefore never be traced to her.

Otherwise honestly this allegation makes no sense unless she went kamikaze literally DGAF and was like hey ex husband if you're going to take 50% of my family inter-generational inheritance then I'm wiping out your nearest and dearest and don't care what becomes of me.

IMO people don't do this type of crime *because* of the money or *for* the money. They do it because of what that represents. Some people are very tied into their family lineage and heritage and the wealth creation over the generations and making sure it's passed down. To be forced to give half of your family history and future away would be devastating to a certain type of person. JMO MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia