Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I do much of my job in peoples homes and yes, have taken photos of bizarre or amusing things. My clients trust me very well and know I’d never abuse the privilege however if any had suspicious deaths surrounding the home you bet I’d chat it up!
A lot of my family biz involves attending residential properties. Taking before and after pics is very much common practice.

EP’s controversial behavior that raises Red Flags

1) Claims the kids were not at home but Police believe they were

2) Claims Amnesia on the store location of where she brought these poisonous mushrooms

3) Claimed Store brought but surprisingly nobody else has fallen sick in the general area of this Asian store

4) Threw away evidence

5) Ex Husband openly accused her of poisoning his parents and loved ones.

6) Cooked the meal and has not ended up dead or in need of a kidney transplant

7) She claimed to have given Children left overs without Mushrooms but the way the mushrooms are embedded into the meal ( they are like minced in under the pastry) the children have not shown any signs of being sick

8) Husband has also claimed he had been mysteriously ill and almost died

9) She seemingly kept left overs of the deathly meal but throw out the Hydrator

These are just off the top of my head. As I said last night , no witch hunt just pointing out the glaring holes in her story.

So is EP the luckiest cook on earth or did she know not to touch her own cooking that day?!

MOO

Yes but they never got sick either. I know EP claims she did but if she walked into a hospital and claimed she was feeling sick and 3 people were dead from the lunch she prepared the hospital has to do due diligence on the patient.
Has there ever been a case of “a little bit” of DC poisoning and person only feeling a bit sick? there is a link in earlier comments to an expert saying there is documented case of a guy died from a small bite of one DC.
Defense would say - we’ll never know because those people never seek medical attention…

Has there ever been a case of “a little bit” of DC poisoning and person only feeling a bit sick? there is a link in earlier comments to an expert saying there is documented case of a guy died from a small bite of one DC.
Defense would say - we’ll never know because those people never seek medical attention…

“Quite often you have … a period of remission in which you stop being immediately sick, the nausea calms down, you start feeling pretty well again,” Taylor says. “Then you hit that 24-hour-plus mark if you’ve had a relatively low dose. That’s when you start to get the secondary toxic effects … the liver and other organs start to shut down.”

All IMO.

I wish I knew the facts of this case from LE. I know the DM is a "trusted" msm source for WS, but I don't trust much of anything they print. I have friends in the UK that tell me the DM is practically a tabloid. They usually do have great pictures though!

I keep trying to put myself in Erin's shoes. And because most of the information we know about this case comes from shoddy, irresponsible, click-bait reporting or a friend of a friend of a friend, I'm not buying it. <modsnip: Discuss the case and not other members>

Last edited by a moderator:
All IMO.

I wish I knew the facts of this case from LE. I know the DM is a "trusted" msm source for WS, but I don't trust much of anything they print. I have friends in the UK that tell me the DM is practically a tabloid. They usually do have great pictures though!

I keep trying to put myself in Erin's shoes. And because most of the information we know about this case comes from shoddy, irresponsible, click-bait reporting or a friend of a friend of a friend, I'm not buying it. <modsnip: Discuss the case and not other members>

The stuff we do know points towards hiding something and you don’t need to read the Daily Mail to figure that out. Everybody knows to take DM with a huge pinch of Salt but it’s her own words that’s sunk her.

Moo

Last edited by a moderator:
The stuff we do know points towards hiding something and you don’t need to read the Daily Mail to figure that out. Everybody knows to take DM with a huge pinch of Salt but it’s her own words that’s sunk her.

Moo
But even her own "statement" didn't come from LE, it got "leaked" by the DM, right? Or did her statement come directly from LE?

But even her own "statement" didn't come from LE, it got "leaked" by the DM, right? Or did her statement come directly from LE?
*She claims bewilderment as to how the statement was leaked. This article lays it out well and goes into possible motive. With so much circumstantial evidence, LE still need to prove intent.

Her written statement, first reported by the ABC, was provided to Victoria police last Friday and in it, she said she wants to “clear up the record” after the deaths of three people.

I believe if she is arrested for 3 Murders and 1 attempted murder that she may have a lot more pressing things on her plate.

IMO

But that is the point. Is she? Will she be? I had a situation when many years ago, my relatives were poisoned in the old country and survived. I don’t want to get into details, because I joined this forum for Donna Van Zandt, but of poisons, and antidotes, I had to learn quickly. So as the person who was marginally involved in a similar yet different case, i can only tell that it is very difficult to prove who, and why. In a way, amatoxin is bad and a very devious choice as you can add powder into any vehicle, including face powder, according to what i have read. I would like to know how finely grinded the initial substance in the package was, and whether they'd find traces of the initial substance, which was probably mushroom-y but innocuous. I suspect she bought something in the Asian store, poured it out and added amanita there. I also wonder if it was finely ground as she planned to add it to different products. One wonders if she threw away something for thinly grinding coffee for example. Something much smaller than the dehydrator and difficult to trace. When did she buy that package in the Asian store? This is how far LE has to get back. Wish them luck. I wonder if she has planned it a while ago and lunch was just a good pretext. I suspect it was not on a whim.

Last edited:
Even if he does hopefully pull through, his statement won't prove much, probably. He can describe the meal but it wouldn't prove anything.

One would hope he might remember some key elements such as E acting very oddly or persuading them all to take gravy but having none herself. If he's well enough that is.

Well I guess she showed them, huh? I’m being sarcastic. When some people feel powerless and/or a loss of control, they’ll do almost anything to get it back. Even for a brief moment. She may not have intended to kill them but she definitely intended to make them sick by poisonIng them. I’m sure her husband feels like he dodged a bullet, seeing as he was very Ill the year before. She held all their lives in her hands. Now that’s power. I feel no sympathy for her. She deserves to be punished for her actions. Intentional or not.
IMO

Having looked at the situation in the morning, I doubt it was because of EP feeling powerless. JMO - I view EP as a less social version of "Gone girl", a long-term planner, who might be angry but doesn't want to get into open conflicts as she doesn't want to show how much anger she accumulates.
I think it is still money-related, and maybe some recent information gave SP's family the power to ask for changing of the parenting plan. Maybe Ian or SP could know what made the Ps proactive, but my thinking as of today is, S. was not even on the game plan to start with. Perhaps he really moved on with his life. I suspect LE know the motive, but it is hard to tie together the ends.

In the report I just linked (about the family in India who were poisoned by handpicked mushrooms containing amatoxin) ....

Young couple (one of them being a 25 year old woman)
One year old child
Middle aged parents
Brother

.. all ingested the toxic mushrooms (child through the breast milk) and the 25 year old woman was the only one who deteriorated and died. The others all got sick, then were released, and the 2nd wave never hit them.

A defence lawyer would introduce things like that, probably.

Well, the main thing about mushrooms. Even toxic ones might be different in different countries. And, they are live organisms, so depending on the year, the rain, the season, the amount of the toxin that accumulated might be very different. How much who ate, the initial state of kidneys, liver and adrenal glands, all plays a role. As many of these mushrooms essentially come from Northern Europe, the phrase like "it was the year when many milk-caps were poisonous" is not unusual to hear there. I just assume that mushrooms are not easily digestible for the humans, period, so one might use at one's own risk. Plus, I assume the Indian family gathered and boiled amanitae, it is not the same as dried and powdered.

Being a bit pedantic here but her statement wouldn't and couldn't be leaked 'by' the DM - it'd been leaked 'to' the DM who have authenticated and verified it to the point they are assured to publish.

Having said that, I don't think we have seen the leaked statement anyhow have we? We've seen snippets of info from LE and we've seen phrases quoted from EP being doorstepped by journalists but regards the alleged statement EP made to LE via a lawyer, we haven't seen that verbatim or even quotes of have we? Apologies if I'm incorrect.

I doubt LE would 'leak' info to the DM unless they're doing a controlled game of cat and mouse and certainly no way would her lawyers disclose a private and confidential document they prepared on behalf of a client, unless it was prepared as a Press Release (ETA someone up thread states it's been published, I wasn't aware).

I'm not much of a fan of the DM but oddly when it comes to legal / criminal cases they're really much better than any other UK based mainstream media as they do fact check, they're like a dog with a bone and they go in deep and relentlessly. They often drop hints or clues that usually transpire to be correct (and not the other way around) so they must get a lot of informants, maybe they pay them for info.

There's cases I've followed on WS where the DM have been far and away the best news resource.

Re the statement, I haven't seen it anywhere in a full version but this is an article the DM reference it a lot:

Being a bit pedantic here but her statement wouldn't and couldn't be leaked 'by' the DM - it'd been leaked 'to' the DM who have authenticated and verified it to the point they are assured to publish.

Having said that, I don't think we have seen the leaked statement anyhow have we? We've seen snippets of info from LE and we've seen phrases quoted from EP being doorstepped by journalists but regards the alleged statement EP made to LE via a lawyer, we haven't seen that verbatim or even quotes of have we? Apologies if I'm incorrect.

I doubt LE would 'leak' info to the DM unless they're doing a controlled game of cat and mouse and certainly no way would her lawyers disclose a private and confidential document they prepared on behalf of a client, unless it was prepared as a Press Release (ETA someone up thread states it's been published, I wasn't aware).

I'm not much of a fan of the DM but oddly when it comes to legal / criminal cases they're really much better than any other UK based mainstream media as they do fact check, they're like a dog with a bone and they go in deep and relentlessly. They often drop hints or clues that usually transpire to be correct (and not the other way around) so they must get a lot of informants, maybe they pay them for info.

There's cases I've followed on WS where the DM have been far and away the best news resource.

In fact, it wasn't the Daily Mail, but rather the ABC who originally obtained the statement.

In a written statement sent to Victoria Police on Friday – and obtained exclusively by the ABC – Gippsland woman Erin Patterson has given her first detailed account of what transpired before and after the fatal lunch.

And, here's the DM crediting the ABC:

Erin has given her first detailed account of the fatal meal in a lengthy written statement to Victoria Police, which was obtained by the ABC on Monday.

Other medial outlets may have also been leaked the statement, but it looks like the ABC broke the news first.

In fact, it wasn't the Daily Mail, but rather the ABC who originally obtained the statement.

In a written statement sent to Victoria Police on Friday – and obtained exclusively by the ABC – Gippsland woman Erin Patterson has given her first detailed account of what transpired before and after the fatal lunch.

And, here's the DM crediting the ABC:

Erin has given her first detailed account of the fatal meal in a lengthy written statement to Victoria Police, which was obtained by the ABC on Monday.

Other medial outlets may have also been leaked the statement, but it looks like the ABC broke the news first.

Yes, I was just going to say that too.

The statement was leaked exclusively to the ABC (more reputable MSM), then (as usual) the DM repeated and embellished what they saw printed in other MSM.

imo

EP’s controversial behavior that raises Red Flags

2) Claims Amnesia on the store location of where she brought these poisonous mushrooms

3) Claimed Store brought but surprisingly nobody else has fallen sick in the general area of this Asian store

MOO
2) I shop at 3 stores. If you get something out of my pantry and ask me where i bought it, i couldnt tell you. Unless its a store brand item or i got it in last 2 weeks.

3) Someone might of got sick months ago, thought it was flu. They didnt go to doc, they die and cause of death is old age, natural causes. MOO of what could happen. Family member passed few months ago, she was 63. She was found in yard. They didnt do an autopsy, just said she died of natural causes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tcat91