Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #5 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, so the police at that time didn’t seem too thrilled with some of the investigative reporting that was occurring, but we do have a free press in this country, and that’s important.

I wonder if the “death wall” pieces in the press were a bit too much for L. E.?

Maybe the tradie should’ve gone to them before hocking his Death Wall pics to News Corp or whoever got the exclusive on that one. IDK.
Discussed already upthread.
Australia has some of the most strenuous child protection laws at level of media in any country.

Last edited:
Just curious, does this custom apply to family members who presumably host each other for meals often?

I don't think this group hosted meals for each other often (any more). EP made a comment that since the separation she didn't see them as much.

But, yes, adult family members will often bring food (or maybe wine) to a family meal. "I will make a cheesecake and bring it." "Is there anything we can bring, mum? Dessert?" "I have some Chardonnay in the fridge, I will bring it". "Can I bring a salad?".

Maybe you're not an Australian, but, as has been discussed a great deal in prior threads, in Australia it goes without saying - the norm is, if invited to a meal, bring food and/or beverages. It would be extraordinarily unusual for this not to occur.

If an invitee, one would usually ask the host(ess) what they would like them to bring. The response is usually something like "don't bring anything - it's all sorted". The invitee would nevertheless bring something, as it would be unthinkable not to do so. There may be rare exceptions to this, but I can't think of ANY.
Very typical in the US as well
If not food or drink wanted or needed then a hostess gift appropriate

Provided to Media, or a Cloak & Dagger Leak?

snipped for focus. @ch_13 Thanks for post, link & quote, which clears up the leak issue, at least imo.

In earlier posts, along w others, I said "leaked" stmt.
But after seeing ^ MSM quote of named LE official, seems waaay more believable that EP legal team PROVIDED stmt directly to media.

Conceivably the law firm sent, faxed, or emailed EP's stmt to one or more media outlets w a cover note or letter.
And/or a media outlet may have provided the ^ LE official a copy of law firm's cover note/letter.

imo

Not that it necessarily matters, who FIRST said EP's stmt was "leaked" as if a cloak & dagger matter?
IIRC, abc-australia (maybe a local affiliate), said something like --- obtained exclusively by our network.

The curious thing about this written statement is that it has been described as "lengthy". But I don't feel that we have seen a lengthy amount of information from the statement, and we definitely have not seen the actual statement.
I doubt it would be a "rambling" statement, as lawyers tend to be more concise.

Which could indicate that it is expressed clearly in the statement (or, as you say, a cover letter) which information is private and confidential, and which info is not.

Unless ABC decided to not publish any private family info - perhaps about the children, or the separation - that may have been included in the statement.

I think releasing it to the ABC might have been a good move, because they (imo) are more likely to stick to the ethics in publishing as opposed to some of the tabloids who might not observe those ethics.

Erin Patterson, who cooked a meal that is believed to have contained poisonous mushrooms, has given a lengthy statement to police detailing her account of what happened before and after the lunch

Last edited:
Yes, to that last sentence especially: " Violence is never the answer, crime is never the answer, and I think some people lack the life skills to adequately problem-solve their life issues, I really do."

So true---how many times do we scratch our heads here in this forum, trying to understand how someone could make such stupid, horrible decisions. Why not just get a divorce instead of trying to get away with murder?

Probably a saying that should be on billboards these days!

Another potential reason for the meeting, and why SP didn’t attend is the children. Maybe the children have expressed desire to live with grandparents, or with SP & grandparents support. Not sure if they had to change schools and now aren’t happy, maybe a more local person could clarify if they moved far enough to change schools? Just considering a different angle - potential loss of children but due to children’s wishes.

Not local, but I Googled.

They apparently lived in Korumburra, which has a high school (Years 7-12) and a primary school (Prep-Year 6).
Then they moved to Leongatha, which has a high school (Years 7-12) and a primary school (Prep-Year 6).

I think that with the two towns being just 12 mins apart, the children could have been driven to school and picked up after school if they didn't want to change schools. If they had a choice in the matter.

I think the schools are zoned. Which means you go to the school for which you are zoned, based on residential address. Unless you can get an exception - or pay for a private school wherever.

Eg:
Students residing within our school zone are guaranteed a place at our school, which is determined based on your permanent residential address.
Our school manages enrolments using the Placement Policy to ensure that students have access to their designated neighbourhood school and may enrol at another school, if there are available places.

Last edited:
Not local, but I Googled.

They apparently lived in Korumburra, which has a high school (Years 7-12) and a primary school (Prep-Year 6).
Then they moved to Leongatha, which has a high school (Years 7-12) and a primary school (Prep-Year 6).

I think that with the two towns being just 12 mins apart, the children could have been driven to school and picked up after school if they didn't want to change schools. If they had a choice in the matter.

I think the schools are zoned. Which means you go to the school for which you are zoned, based on residential address. Unless you can get an exception - or pay for a private school wherever.

Eg:
Students residing within our school zone are guaranteed a place at our school, which is determined based on your permanent residential address.
Our school manages enrolments using the Placement Policy to ensure that students have access to their designated neighbourhood school and may enrol at another school, if there are available places.
Not local either but Google tells me Leongatha also has Chairo Christian School which caters to children from kindergarten to grade 10, and a campus at a nearby suburb for grades 11 and 12. It is possible that Chairo might be a school of choice for a family with a Christian faith or a preference for a private school education for their children.

Not local either but Google tells me Leongatha also has Chairo Christian School which caters to children from kindergarten to grade 10, and a campus at a nearby suburb for grades 11 and 12. It is possible that Chairo might be a school of choice for a family with a Christian faith or a preference for a private school education for their children.
Why are we sleuthing the schools? EP / SP kids should be off-limits, surely.

The context for the discussion of local schools was in response to a question further up the thread of whether distance needed to travel to a different school might be a factor in where children might live, e.g. with a different parent or grandparents.
It is not sleuthing the children but rather a broader question about why there might be disputes between separating parents about the children’s primary care arrangement. As EP made reference to a concern about losing custody of the children in her statement about dumping the dehydrator, this has been identified by many on this thread as a potential area of contention in the relationship between EP and SP and family.

Guest-Supplied Food at the Luncheon?

@kittythehare Thank you very much for linking the WAtoday.com and vid.

IIUC, both the article & vid are based on the sworn, written stmt by EP, provided to LE, which was then leaked & circulated to media. Yes?
Okay, if so, then she made a stmt, fairly early on, about guest-supplied food or drink at the luncheon.

Per closed captions, at 1:07 et seq:
"... invited her friends over and they um they all brought a dish something to eat and she cooked beef wellington..."

This does not seem to be a direct quote from EP's stmt but a reporter's rephrasing. But assuming rephrasing is accurate, EP said guests brought a dish, something to eat.

Glad you pointed me to this specific article & vid.
And I can consider its veracity in light of other info & circumstances as well as EP's other stmts and actions.

ATM, I can't think of a solid reason for lying about it.
Gotta think about it.

written stmt by EP, provided to LE, which was then leaked & circulated to media. Yes?

No, the Police publicly fussed and chided EP for the statement going public before LE had read the statement because they saw it first in the Media. It angered them greatly. EP made a statement via an attorney after feeding BW to 4 people, 3 of whom died but wouldn't answer their questions. Consequently, they've not spoken a word since in the form of an update.

It is traditional in America to take along a food dish to meals being shared with others. Perhaps one couple baked an apple pie and the other couple took vanilla ice cream. Someone has suggested a nice box of chocolates.

It doesn't matter what else the group ate at the luncheon. The DC poison was the target that the guests must ingest. The target that made them ill was the Beef Wellington, according to the Police's theory. The four invited guests surely felt pampered to have such a delicately fine dish prepared for them. Do you see evil trickery in the irony?

JMOO

Guest-Provided Food? Again?
written stmt by EP, provided to LE, which was then leaked & circulated to media. Yes?
No, the Police publicly fussed and chided EP for the statement going public before LE had read the statement because they saw it first in the Media. It angered them greatly. EP made a statement via an attorney after feeding BW to 4 people, 3 of whom died but wouldn't answer their questions. Consequently, they've not spoken a word since in the form of an update.

It is traditional in America to take along a food dish to meals being shared with others. Perhaps one couple baked an apple pie and the other couple took vanilla ice cream. Someone has suggested a nice box of chocolates.

It doesn't matter what else the group ate at the luncheon. The DC poison was the target that the guests must ingest. The target that made them ill was the Beef Wellington, according to the Police's theory. The four invited guests surely felt pampered to have such a delicately fine dish prepared for them. Do you see evil trickery in the irony?
JMOO
@DeDee Thanks for post w your kind explanation.
By the time you read this, you likely will have also read my posts in the interim --- as I've learned that a named LE official stated EP's stmt was provided to media by EP's "legal team."

Guest-provided food is relevant for a narrow reason, imo.
If charges are filed against EP, importsnt for LE to RULE OUT that guest food caused deaths & injury.
So def. team cannot reasonably argue that LE rushed to arrest her, failed to look at other poison sources (maybe accidentally in guest-provided food) or maybe the real killer is still out there, etc.
imo
And yes, @DeDee I can see evil trickery in the irony.

Again,TYVM to @ch_13 :) for providing the link in post

JMOO
I don't believe that is accurate.

'Deputy Police Commissioner Wendy Steendam told ABC Radio Melbourne: "Working on an investigation through the media is unhelpful to our investigation.

"The matter needs to be dealt with by us, looked at (by) us, and determined by us thoroughly what's actually occurred, and using the evidence that we have to determine and understand exactly what's happened and if we can explain what caused the deaths."

She said the statement was not an official police document, as it was prepared and provided by Ms Patterson's legal team.'

In a written statement sent to Victoria Police on Friday – and obtained exclusively by the ABC – Gippsland woman Erin Patterson has given her first detailed account of what transpired before and after the fatal lunch.

'Steendam said she was uncertain if the statement was handed to the media before it was given to police.'

This should clarify that we do not actually know who gave her lawyer statement to the media or whether the media received it before the police did.

These links have already been posted multiple times.

I don't believe that is accurate.

'Deputy Police Commissioner Wendy Steendam told ABC Radio Melbourne: "Working on an investigation through the media is unhelpful to our investigation.

"The matter needs to be dealt with by us, looked at (by) us, and determined by us thoroughly what's actually occurred, and using the evidence that we have to determine and understand exactly what's happened and if we can explain what caused the deaths."

She said the statement was not an official police document, as it was prepared and provided by Ms Patterson's legal team.'

In a written statement sent to Victoria Police on Friday – and obtained exclusively by the ABC – Gippsland woman Erin Patterson has given her first detailed account of what transpired before and after the fatal lunch.

'Steendam said she was uncertain if the statement was handed to the media before it was given to police.'

This should clarify that we do not actually know who gave her lawyer statement to the media or whether the media received it before the police did.

These links have already been posted multiple times.

Erin went to her attorney on AUG 29. Your abc link is dated Aug 14.

Last edited by a moderator:
This case is interesting, but I feel a lot of the discussion is tomato/tamato kind of stuff, so I am just sitting back and watching and thinking her (former?) husband's assessment of this situation is likely the correct one - that's my opinion only

Discussed already upthread.
Australia has some of the most strenuous child protection laws at level of media in any country.

Ohhh thanks for catching me up! <modsnip: veering off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
The move of house and change of educational venues were raised as potential motive - if SP wasn’t the “problem” as they had been separated a “long time” and it was EP idea to separate. She appears to be financially secure. Many other events discussed could prompt a conflict - child custody issues been discussed, religion, finances, in-laws interference.
Parents might be separated and all these items settled - but there are others in the household whose wishes could spark a conflict which could leave one parent feeling vulnerable and isolated and angry.

ADMIN NOTE:

Please do not sleuth information on the kids. It is irresponsible when there are predators and other unsavoury types out there (yes, they exist) who may just decide to find them. WS doesn't ever want to be part of that !!

Also, it is not victim friendly for kids to find unfounded speculation on the internet and have them spend the rest of their lives feeling they were somehow responsible for or contributed to what happened to or between their parents.

Just leave the kids out of it. Thank you.

How fatal lunch made mushrooms less palatable to Victorians: Melb festival planned to celebrate them

(paraphrased)
According to the Marketing manager for the Australian Mushroom Growers Association (AMGA), the festival has been in the works for two years - so is not directly related to the recent poisonings.

But they will use the festival - scheduled for 14th & 15th October at Queen Victoria Market - to improve the image of mushrooms and dispel any misconceptions around the safety of supermarket mushrooms.

They expect a (named) speaker to discuss the impact of the lunch in Leongatha on growers and the commercial mushroom industry.

Complete with live cooking demonstrations, local chefs, guest speakers.

Head of Australia's largest organic mushroom farm has assured the public that there is no way death cap mushrooms could make their way into the supermarket supply chain of button mushrooms.

There are several comments that this year the foraged mushroom season was the longest and most bountiful, due to favourable weather.

The rest of the content (about the poisonings, and about foraging) we already know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
primelectrics