Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #6 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We were talking about the psychology of the offender. I think it might be different psychologically, or at least it can't be presumed to be the same, for someone to attempt and fail to kill someone and then continue trying, compared to someone who successfully kills one person and then moves on to another murder goal.
I said commonalities, not identical. We're not comparing poisoning with jaywalking. We're comparing poisoning with poisoning. There are going to be things that are similar, especially when talking about the psychology of the offender, just purely because of the choice of poison as a weapon. It's not like a blunt object that you can pick up in the heat of the moment. It generally involves a high degree of planning and calculation, not to mention nerve, to use poison and not completely bottle it before it's even ingested.

MOO

I said commonalities, not identical. We're not comparing poisoning with jaywalking. We're comparing poisoning with poisoning. There are going to be things that are similar, especially when talking about the psychology of the offender, just purely because of the choice of poison as a weapon. It's not like a blunt object that you can pick up in the heat of the moment. It generally involves a high degree of planning and calculation, not to mention nerve, to use poison and not completely bottle it before it's even ingested.

MOO
I'd add to that, that if EP poisoned her husband in May 2022, psychologically that would have counted for more than a failed attempt. She'd have to realize that she wasn't just fantasizing and playing practical jokes; the consequences were major.

"Mr Patterson was expected to attend the lunch, which was hosted as part of a church mediation process for their relationship, but he pulled out at the last minute."

"...which was hosted as part of a church mediation process for their relationship,..."

What is a 'church mediation process for their relationship'? I'd like to know more about how this came about.

I'm not even sure that this mediation lunch is true. It could just be someone's suggestion that has grown wings to become an "established fact." IMO
Maybe, maybe not.

But I tend to think there might have been some kind of mediation/negotition going on for 2 reasons---

One, the 4 of them, one being a local pastor, were going there to have a kind of 'formal' lunch. It didn't seem like a casual visit.

Two, the children were at the movies. Most grandparents would want to spend time with the grandchildren if they were going to visit their home. It was said they were going to be discussing the children, which rings true for me.

I do think it was supposed to be some kind of mediation, concerning the custody arrangements and the co-parenting issues. I have always thought that there was a looming tension between the in-laws and EP, concerning how EP was raising the children. They are getting to the ages when their school decisions become very important. I am guessing that the in-laws wanted more church/religion in the kid's future education, and EP did not.

So I thought it very interesting that the words:

"... which was hosted as part of a church mediation process for their relationship, " popped up here. To me, "HOSTED as part of a church mediation process" sounds as though the 4 guests were there to convince her to accept the help and support of the church in order to heal her relationship.

EP's actions seem to say to me she was not open to that offer.

"Erin Patterson: New mystery as mushroom cook's ex-husband vanishes from his home after her arrest on murder charges"

No mystery at all Daily Mail.

It's normal to want to avoid being badgered by "journalists"
Yeah it’s not like Simon is obliged to send a text to the local press correspondent Wayne Flower or the DMA every time he leaves the LGA. gawd.

I’m pleasantly surprised the Papps didn’t follow him. If they did then it wouldn’t be a mystery at all, would it.

Just be honest media, y’all were sleeping at the wheel and Simon’s having a mini-break and you missed his departure!

<modsnip - no link for attachment>

Last edited by a moderator:
Did LE not say they believed the children were at the lunch at same stage?

Which makes sense to me as why wouldn’t the grandparents want to at least say Hello that afternoon especially when it’s believed it was about them .

IMO

*eta: The mother of two will remain at the maximum security Dame Phyllis Frost Centre until her next court appearance in May.

Accommodation​

Single cells with ensuite facilities.

Self-contained units.

Two special cell blocks housing 20 prisoners each designed for protection prisoners and prisoners with a history of poor behaviour.

Medium security units house ten prisoners in separate rooms while minimum security units house only five prisoners. Each unit has individual kitchen and dining facilities and prisoners are required to cook and prepare their own meals and do their own washing, ironing and housework. Groups of prisoners share activity areas and a quiet area for reading and writing

Last edited:
"Mr Patterson was expected to attend the lunch, which was hosted as part of a church mediation process for their relationship, but he pulled out at the last minute."

"...which was hosted as part of a church mediation process for their relationship,..."

What is a 'church mediation process for their relationship'? I'd like to know more about how this came about.

I had a look at info about mediation in settling matters in a divorce/separation. This is highly encouraged in Australia, to save court time and the unnecessary lining of lawyers pockets. In my state, I am pretty sure that couples are required to try mediation first, and a court will only decide the settlement & custody if mediation doesn't work.

Churches can mediate, though it is a less common mediation option taken up by couples. And I would wonder if IW could be called an independent third party mediator, seeing that he is related to SP by marriage.

ETA: Having said that, I see in the graphs supplied in the linked article that 36% of people use relatives to help resolve settlement and custody issues.

Australian Government Department of Social Services - Use of, and Attitudes to, Mediation Services Among Divorcing and Separating Couples

imo

Last edited:
I was reading a HS article about what is known about EP.

The 3rd thing mentioned is that she took over editing the local newsletter in 2018. It mentions the September-November 2019 newsletter which was advertising a mushroom growing workshop. (Poorly edited because the date and time are not accurate for the workshop, missing are the day and start time, not to mention all the spacing errors throughout the newsletter).
The HS article states it is not suggesting that this is linked to the poisonings.

I looked up the publicly available past issues of the Burra Flyer ....
View attachment 458288
Burra Flyer — Korumburra Community Website (look up the Spring 2019 edition, pg 43)

This is the relevant HS article .... Five things we know about alleged mushroom cook ‘secretive’ Erin Patterson

Good sleuthing! Growing your own mushrooms requires spores though. For edible kinds these are readily available online in syringes, but for Death Caps she’d presumably have to find some wild, capture their spores and cultivate them from that. Contamination is a huge factor when growing fungi and makes it a lot more challenging than the workshop blurb suggests. Overall, to grow from wild spores would be too challenging for a beginner, I think.

Good sleuthing! Growing your own mushrooms requires spores though. For edible kinds these are readily available online in syringes, but for Death Caps she’d presumably have to find some wild, capture their spores and cultivate them from that. Contamination is a huge factor when growing fungi and makes it a lot more challenging than the workshop blurb suggests. Overall, to grow from wild spores would be too challenging for a beginner, I think.

D01ED3EE-6C7C-488E-B1B0-F6133CACF633.jpeg

I enjoyed reading your post, @arrogantcat .

Have attached a screen shot from the Burra Flyer for those who are time poor. The class included a take home kit to grow Oyster Mushrooms.

Amazing Sleuthing from @SouthAussie on this.

*eta: The mother of two will remain at the maximum security Dame Phyllis Frost Centre until her next court appearance in May.
I’m really, really shocked.

I guess my first thought is, well who cooked? What was provided in terms of catering?

IMO

Last edited:
About the death caps--- it has been mentioned a few times that EP was an experienced mushroom forager. So it is possible she did run across some poisonous wild mushrooms at some point.

<modsnip - sub judice>

Last edited by a moderator:

*Aug 10, 2023
He spent 21 days in intensive care after collapsing in May 2022 after complaining about a mystery stomach complaint and his stay in hospital followed the couple separating.

A friend of Simon’s said: ‘She wanted to get back with Simon and the family didn’t want Simon to get back with her. This wasn’t just a lunch, it was an intervention with the pastor as mediator.’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vec416