Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023 #6 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's going to be one heck of a trial - I hope it's televised.
That never happens here. Our courts don't stream their trials like reality tv or sports.

Adjust your expectations now, and prepare for regular reports in the media of what happened that day in court with occasional handdrawn chalk pastel illustrations of people (witnesses, legal representatives and court staff). All media reports will be strictly factual, to not run into sub judice.

MOO

You are forgetting 4 failed attempts on her ex husband this was not her first rodeo from the little we know about the charges brought.
Has SP got medical proof from a GP what these ‘4 failed attempts’ actually were about? Surely the police would need proof, not just allegations to press these additional charges.

That never happens here. Our courts don't stream their trials like reality tv or sports.

Adjust your expectations now, and prepare for regular reports in the media of what happened that day in court with occasional handdrawn chalk pastel illustrations of people (witnesses, legal representatives and court staff). All media reports will be strictly factual, to not run into sub judice.

MOO

Yep basically like the UK, we don’t treat events like this as reality TV. We don’t have TV channels like Court TV either .

True. I’m familiar with some of your media once a trial occurs.
*a little off topic but what’s your opinion vs watching US trials? Do they serve a purpose to the interested population? Would court proceedings play out differently if not televised? Does it affect the outcome? Speaking in generalities of course.
Different doesn't mean worse or better, it's just different. I can see the good and the bad in both ways of doing things.

One thing I will say, it is a LOT easier to follow every in and out of an American case, even half a world away, because of the different system. But that's purely a convenience for me, as a spectator, not for anyone directly involved in or impacted by the case. So, really, I don't matter.

But yeah, anyone expecting a trial where every moment is broadcast in someway, or opinion pieces in every news source about guilt or innocence, is going to have to adjust. Anyone fresh from Letby a few months ago in England is going to have a good idea what it's going to be like. Basically, from now until trial, it's probably going to be very quiet, and once trial comes, it's not going to be streamable for you to watch while you eat popcorn, dressed in your pyjamas.

MOO

Last edited:
Apologies if I’ve missed this discussion, about S cancelling last minute.

It could be that he dropped out but didn’t tell E directly, just his parents. Leaving them to tell her when they arrived that he wouldn’t be coming. Meaning that as far as E was concerned it was all systems go whilst prepping lunch.

Apologies if I’ve missed this discussion, about S cancelling last minute.

It could be that he dropped out but didn’t tell E directly, just his parents. Leaving them to tell her when they arrived that he wouldn’t be coming. Meaning that as far as E was concerned it was all systems go whilst prepping lunch.

If it was just about Simon though she had plenty of time to back out. She could of dropped the dish on the floor or made up any other excuse to not serve the Mushroom dish of death.

This only applies if guilty and she may not be!!

IMO

*eta: The mother of two will remain at the maximum security Dame Phyllis Frost Centre until her next court appearance in May.

Accommodation​

Single cells with ensuite facilities.

Self-contained units.

Two special cell blocks housing 20 prisoners each designed for protection prisoners and prisoners with a history of poor behaviour.

Medium security units house ten prisoners in separate rooms while minimum security units house only five prisoners. Each unit has individual kitchen and dining facilities and prisoners are required to cook and prepare their own meals and do their own washing, ironing and housework. Groups of prisoners share activity areas and a quiet area for reading and writing

In short, a far cry from Old Melbourne Gaol, lol.

Maybe, maybe not.

But I tend to think there might have been some kind of mediation/negotition going on for 2 reasons---

One, the 4 of them, one being a local pastor, were going there to have a kind of 'formal' lunch. It didn't seem like a casual visit.

Two, the children were at the movies. Most grandparents would want to spend time with the grandchildren if they were going to visit their home. It was said they were going to be discussing the children, which rings true for me.

I do think it was supposed to be some kind of mediation, concerning the custody arrangements and the co-parenting issues. I have always thought that there was a looming tension between the in-laws and EP, concerning how EP was raising the children. They are getting to the ages when their school decisions become very important. I am guessing that the in-laws wanted more church/religion in the kid's future education, and EP did not.

So I thought it very interesting that the words:

"... which was hosted as part of a church mediation process for their relationship, " popped up here. To me, "HOSTED as part of a church mediation process" sounds as though the 4 guests were there to convince her to accept the help and support of the church in order to heal her relationship.

EP's actions seem to say to me she was not open to that offer.

Just a though coming from a secular person. Given how religious his parents were and Erin, an atheist and very unhappy in the marriage, per her FB friend, all mediation could be about how much time her children would spend in the church while in dad's custody. That would explain why four churchgoers came to the mediation, and the dad's presence would be considered less important by his own family.

Has SP got medical proof from a GP what these ‘4 failed attempts’ actually were about? Surely the police would need proof, not just allegations to press these additional charges.
LE including the other events so they can be raised in court and examined & cross examined. Any evidence will be revealed & examined. These prior events lead into motive and pattern of behavior.
If they don’t include these prior events in the charges, then it could be argued that these events cannot be mentioned in any trial as they could be viewed as “prejudicial”. Harder to link the case to SP and motive.

So, EP had 'guests' around her home the night before she was arrested in a 'function' that lasted a few hours?

Well alls I can say is anyone who ate and drank in her home is far far braver than I - what a tense situation to be in.

Also I can't help wondering if at least one of them was working with LE to try and glean some information, bearing in mind she was then arrested the very next day?
Nah, her house was probably bugged.

I highly doubt law enforcement managed to turn any of her closest friends into “assets”. It’s Victoria police were talking about, not the CIA.

Moo

As key witnesses, I’m assuming that Simon, Ian and their legal representatives (and most likely Ian’s next of kin given his health) were made aware that there would be imminent advancement made with regards to charging Erin and potentially an arrest, even so far as being informed of the day this would take place. They possibly were made aware of this up to a week prior so that arrangements could be made for themselves (wellbeing given the media interest), children, dog etc. Where they potentially still had communication with Erin, they will have gag orders to not divulge details of the investigation.
Based on this, I’m assuming the ‘party’ was more a case of visitors to the house, as it’s already been established that her friend circle is restricted to online connections only. And I reckon these visitors have included contacts of Simon who, have used maybe guise of long weekend and needing belongings for the kids (possibly the dog too), to get the their affairs in order. Possibly, multiple people have gone or even a legal representative accompanying a visitor.

Last edited:
I think it's pretty standard for police to not alert suspects of impending arrest, to try and avoid unpleasant actions potential arrestees may take if they know the knock is coming (homicide, suicide, escape, kidnapping, hostage taking, armed standoff, destruction of evidence, just to name a few...)

MOO
so what would happen if the person being arrested had pets or children etc and no family or friends to mind them, and the trauma to children seeing their parent arrested?
i guess someone like child services may accompany police but what about pets?

As key witnesses, I’m assuming that Simon, Ian and their legal representatives (and most likely Ian’s next of kin given his health) were made aware that there would be imminent advancement made with regards to charging Erin and potentially an arrest, even so far as being informed of the day this would take place. They possibly were made aware of this up to a week prior so that arrangements could be made for themselves (wellbeing given the media interest), children, dog etc. Where they potentially still had communication with Erin, they will have gag orders to not divulge details of the investigation.
Based on this, I’m assuming the ‘party’ was more a case of visitors to the house, as it’s already been established that her friend circle is restricted to online connections only. And I reckon these visitors have included contacts of Simon who, have used maybe guise of long weekend and needing belongings for the kids (possibly the dog too), to get the their affairs in order. Possibly, multiple people have gone or even a legal representative accompanying a visitor.
Could one of the visitors have been wearing a wire?

If both her houses are rented out, Erin will have a good income whilst incarcerated. To what extent is she able to use these funds to provide herself with additional comforts like books, computers, cigarettes, food and clothing?

The AFP's top technology dog, Georgia, was flown down from Queensland to take part in the latest search of EP's house (as per this Link).

I read a bit about the AFP's technology dogs. (Article dated 5 months ago .. paraphrased)

From Jan '21 to Nov '22 technology dogs conducted 160 searches, finding 691 hidden items ... including a USB stick that had been hidden in a bowl of garlic cloves, a hard drive that was hidden in an Esky of food, an electronic ankle bracelet that had been buried, phones that had been hidden in shoes, a SIM card that had been hidden in a wall cavity.

Georgia herself is considered the dux of the class. Her handler is Leading Senior Constable Scott Lewis. They did 14 searches in 4 months, and Georgia found 83 devices - mobile phones, USBs, SIM cards, SD cards, hard drives and smartwatches.

The funding for the technology dogs comes from assets of crime, so the criminals actually have paid for the dogs themselves.
The dogs start training at about 12 months of age, and will retire at 6-8 years of age to either their handlers home or a foster family.

And they would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren’t for those meddling dogs

Last edited:

I wasn't aware that "it’s already been established that her friend circle is restricted to online connections only." I know that this has been speculated, but that doesn't mean that it is true. Could you please provide a link. TIA

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Last edited by a moderator:
P
Could one of the visitors have been wearing a wire?
Potentially. Although I’m not convinced that it was the case where she divulged something that got recorded, and then arrested the next day. I think the timing of the arrest hinges more on lab results etc that have come back. It’s been a couple of weeks now since lab results confirmed mushroom poisoning, once that fell into place, I suspect more avenues were investigated (more resources invested into it) and further developments came to light.
I do see the opportunity arising when police were there with sniffer dogs to collect any monitoring equipment they may have placed prior. But who knows.

The AFP's top technology dog, Georgia, was flown down from Queensland to take part in the latest search of EP's house (as per this Link).

I read a bit about the AFP's technology dogs. (Article dated 5 months ago)

From Jan '21 to Nov '22 technology dogs conducted 160 searches, finding 691 hidden items ... including a USB stick that had been hidden in a bowl of garlic cloves, a hard drive that was hidden in an Esky of food, an electronic ankle bracelet that had been buried, phones that had been hidden in shoes, a SIM card that had been hidden in a wall cavity.

Georgia herself is considered the dux of the class. Her handler is Leading Senior Constable Scott Lewis. They did 14 searches in 4 months, and Georgia found 83 devices - mobile phones, USBs, SIM cards, SD cards, hard drives and smartwatches.

The funding for the technology dogs comes from assets of crime, so the criminals actually have paid for the dogs themselves.
The dogs start training at about 12 months of age, and will retire at 6-8 years of age to either their handlers home or a foster family.

And they would have gotten away with it, too, if it weren’t for those meddling dogs
Yay Georgia!

Neet, it seems contradictory to me. They've discovered they don't know her as well as they thought, and that she was secretive, but also claim to know that she had no IRL friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper