Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In a statement, Victoria Police said a search warrant was executed at a home in Leongatha on Saturday.

“Detectives interviewed a 48-year-old Leongatha woman who was released pending further enquiries,” a police spokeswoman said.

I wonder why this woman has not suffered from the mushrooms. I guess she was the cook.

[snip]

Reverend Ian Wilkinson, a pastor at Korumburra Baptist Church in Victoria's Gippsland region is the man fighting for life.

Wilkinson's wife, Heather, a local teacher; her sister, Gail Patterson; and husband Don Patterson, died after eating toxic wild mushrooms at lunch with friends, according to police.

[snip]

"All the people who are involved are very well known in our community, which is a tight-knit community and very well respected and loved." Hersey said.

Police say the two couples were dining at a home in Leongatha, almost two hours south-east of Melbourne, last Saturday.

[snip]

The Victorian Health Department released a warning about death cap and yellow staining mushrooms in April, reporting a spike in the state due to cool and wet conditions.

On Sunday morning, mourners flocked to the Korumburra Baptist Church, a small weatherboard church in the heart of town where Mr Wilkinson was the pastor, for a service and candlelit prayer in honour of both families.

[snip]

It is still unclear what type of mushroom the group ate.

The death cap is responsible for 90 per cent of mushroom poisoning deaths. One bite is enough to kill someone, causing severe gastroenteritis and eventually organ failure. Anyone who becomes ill after eating a wild mushroom is urged to seek urgent medical care and, if possible, take samples for identification.

Other symptoms of wild-mushroom poisoning can include stomach pain, nausea and vomiting.

Mycologist Teresa Lebel told Nine News a piece of toxic mushroom “the size of a 20¢ coin is sufficient to kill a person”.

About the church were Mr. Wilkinson is the pastor:

MAY 14, 2023

Victorians have been warned not to trust apps claiming to be able to identify poisonous mushrooms as the fungi thrive in the state's cool, wet conditions.

Consuming just a single death cap mushroom can result in liver failure and death

"It can be very difficult to distinguish between toxic and edible varieties of wild mushroom," Deputy Chief Health Officer Dr Angie Bone said.

Bone said anyone who becomes ill after eating mushrooms should seek urgent medical advice and, if possible, take samples of the whole mushroom for identification.

Warning not to trust apps for guidance as poisonous mushrooms flourish

LE Undecided yet whether the deaths were accidental or not.
Says fifth person at the meal was the one who prepared the meal and was a relative.

Last edited:
If it was just a terrible mistake and so far they haven't said otherwise, could the person who cooked the meal be charged with anything ?

Unless that person was one of those who passed away :(
They could be charged with manslaughter if it were determined to be negligence I.e. a “reasonable person” would have known not to pick wild mushrooms and serve them to guests.

It seems that the person who served the mushroom dish is alive and well. The million dollar question is why neither that person (who from all accounts is a 48yo female relative) nor their children, who were also present, didn’t eat the mushroom dish? The kids - I get, since mine wouldn’t eat mushrooms if I paid them. By why wouldn’t the host eat their own dish?

The local health authority, Gippsland Southern Health Service, has confirmed a fifth person was also taken to Leongatha Hospital but was discharged a short time later.

Detective Inspector Thomas said he was unable to say whether any charges would be laid.

Last edited:
Very sad. I doubt it would be intentional, but I guess you never know. It's widely publicised in Victoria to never eat wild mushrooms.

Sorry this is OT, however most following this news today would also be following the other - is there any discussion of Maryam Hamka on webslueths? Her body was finally found today. I have been checking webslueths for over 2 years with no results and don't understand if I'm searching incorrectly,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member