Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that sticks out to me as odd is that in the interview she says “they never did anything wrong to me”. Why would you say this when referencing something that had nothing to do with you? Why even say this at all?

It seems strange that that’s what her mind comes up with when talking about the other two people. Almost as if others did do something wrong and she’s feeling guilt without realising about them being killed by association? Odd choice of words if this was just a mistake.
Agreed. We don't know for sure with this case yet but I think guilty people often add details that aren't necessary.

This is just a really odd situation, Imo. I try to imagine any number of scenarios. All below is speculation.

1) She served up beef wellington with deaths cap mushies inside them but didn't partake herself - Sus even if she argues she didn't know the mushies were dangerous when she picked them. A lot would rest on the credibility of any reason given for why she didn't partake - ie vegetarian? What did she have instead? If not vegetarian then it just looks incredibly suspicious that she didn't partake. And even if she is known to be vegetarian it still raises questions.

2) She did partake of beef wellington and didn't get sick. That looks even more suspicious. Too much of a coincidence to suggest that her own beef wellington serving somehow didn't have any mushroom in it. Or that maybe she gathered two sorts of mushrooms and she got lucky in that her serving had the okay ones whilst the other four diners all unluckily got wellingtons with death caps.

3) The deadly mushrooms were store bought. Not feasible. More people who bought and consumed from the death cap batch (tainted perhaps somehow accidentally with deathcaps?) would have reported ill by now. OTOH she may well be able to prove she bought store mushrooms for the meal, say, the day before and children may be able to corroborate they saw her preparing the meal with such that morning or previous day. But this still doesn't help her case. Assuming the fact stands (official tox report still outstanding) that the four relatives were poisoned by toxins found in death caps, then it just opens the door to the probability of her adding either fresh death caps (or dried/powdered death caps) to the wellingtons at some later point. And again, if she tainted all but her own portion and ate hers with the store bought only, there is no innocent explanation for her not being ill.

The only possible semi-unsus scenario I can come up with is that she ate wellington along with the others but didn't partake of mushroom sauce. She decided to make the sauce at last minute and as she had used up all the store mushrooms she used some dried/powdered mushrooms she had gathered from some time prior. She didn't partake of the sauce. This seems semi -credible.
Moo
Why are you taking it as cred
This is just a really odd situation, Imo. I try to imagine any number of scenarios. All below is speculation.

1) She served up beef wellington with deaths cap mushies inside them but didn't partake herself - Sus even if she argues she didn't know the mushies were dangerous when she picked them. A lot would rest on the credibility of any reason given for why she didn't partake - ie vegetarian? What did she have instead? If not vegetarian then it just looks incredibly suspicious that she didn't partake. And even if she is known to be vegetarian it still raises questions.

2) She did partake of beef wellington and didn't get sick. That looks even more suspicious. Too much of a coincidence to suggest that her own beef wellington serving somehow didn't have any mushroom in it. Or that maybe she gathered two sorts of mushrooms and she got lucky in that her serving had the okay ones whilst the other four diners all unluckily got wellingtons with death caps.

3) The deadly mushrooms were store bought. Not feasible. More people who bought and consumed from the death cap batch (tainted perhaps somehow accidentally with deathcaps?) would have reported ill by now. OTOH she may well be able to prove she bought store mushrooms for the meal, say, the day before and children may be able to corroborate they saw her preparing the meal with such that morning or previous day. But this still doesn't help her case. Assuming the fact stands (official tox report still outstanding) that the four relatives were poisoned by toxins found in death caps, then it just opens the door to the probability of her adding either fresh death caps (or dried/powdered death caps) to the wellingtons at some later point. And again, if she tainted all but her own portion and ate hers with the store bought only, there is no innocent explanation for her not being ill.

The only possible semi-unsus scenario I can come up with is that she ate wellington along with the others but didn't partake of mushroom sauce. She decided to make the sauce at last minute and as she had used up all the store mushrooms she used some dried/powdered mushrooms she had gathered from some time prior. She didn't partake of the sauce. This seems semi -credible.
Moo
Why are you taking it as credible tha5 she boufht
Maybe she doesn't like mushrooms and usually avoids them, but she knew her in-laws enjoyed local foraged mushrooms so she tried to please them with her cooking skills but Failed.
Kids fav meals are chicken nuggets and chips, spaghetti Bolognese or pizza.

Reactions: MrJ
Just a thought, what if the pies were made with shop bought mushrooms, and the poisonous ones were in powder form, sprinkled on after? If the mushrooms were dehydrated and ground up to powder form. Wondering if the lose their potency or it becomes more condensed after dehydration?
Sorry, I'm not a regular poster here, jmo
Thank you GoldySam.
It has come in my thought too, IMO if the person though the dehydrated Mushrooms would lose their potency thus only making the person ill may had been the motive.
1) May have been Erin Motive.
2) Erin tried to posion my family or us, while she is in prison we can sort out ending the marriage problem.(It not the first time in history been done, even Television and Novels have the plotlines.

I don't think it's strange that the teenagers ate something different but unless they don't eat meat, how could she guarantee that they wouldn't see her cooking and want a taste of it?
That's what I find odd. I know my kids would be interested and possibly want to try it.

Something that sticks out to me as odd is that in the interview she says “they never did anything wrong to me”. Why would you say this when referencing something that had nothing to do with you? Why even say this at all?

It seems strange that that’s what her mind comes up with when talking about the other two people. Almost as if others did do something wrong and she’s feeling guilt without realising about them being killed by association? Odd choice of words if this was just a mistake.
I thought the same...

I have been following this case with interest. I think this is about a marriage gone wrong and revenge.

MOO but
1) crocodile tears (a bit like Gerard BadenClay all those years ago when he killed his wife, Allison. Even gets who is in hospital mixed up.
2) cannot possibly have bought those mushrooms from a store
3) a “sudden” discarding of her dehydrator
4) may have not been intending to kill them but rather scare them, so manslaughter is a distinct possibility

I have been following this case with interest. I think this is about a marriage gone wrong and revenge.

MOO but
1) crocodile tears (a bit like Gerard BadenClay all those years ago when he killed his wife, Allison. Even gets who is in hospital mixed up.
2) cannot possibly have bought those mushrooms from a store
3) a “sudden” discarding of her dehydrator
4) may have not been intending to kill them but rather scare them, so manslaughter is a distinct possibility

I couldn't even see any crocodile tears at all. Crying with no tears is a huge red flag.

Last edited:
I've never been to anyone's house where they have certain diets and they don't cook the same meal for everyone (under-18s excluded). Have you? (honest question, not snarky. If you're a vegetarian or diabetic etc, would you cook meals for your guests loaded with beef or fruits. I've never been in that situation, but if the cook didn't eat the food they gave me, I wouldn't eat it. jmo)
I personally know vegetarians that handle and cook meat for their families and friends. I have also been a guest when there are many dishes to choose from, so the host wouldn’t necessarily eat the same food as me. I wouldn’t have a problem eating a dish that the host is not eating. I might think twice about it though now :)

If she did commit a crime I believe it was more likely an act of revenge - around her marriage breakdown. She may have been thinking she wanted to ‘punish’ ex and in-laws for ‘disloyalty’.

When things went pear shaped, she has possibly panicked, thrown out incriminating evidence and is crossing her fingers that police et al don’t believe she’s ‘capable’ of such things.

Moo

The cook not eating what they cooked is what has me hm...

I would very much like to hear from the (hopefully!) surviving member of that meal, currently awaiting an emergency liver transplant.

What dish was served?

What reason, if any, did she give for not eating the same meal?

And from her ex-husband:

What dish(es) did she serve you those times when you say you felt quite ill afterwards?

Just a thought, what if the pies were made with shop bought mushrooms, and the poisonous ones were in powder form, sprinkled on after? If the mushrooms were dehydrated and ground up to powder form. Wondering if the lose their potency or it becomes more condensed after dehydration?
Sorry, I'm not a regular poster here, jmo

Is there any way to remove the poisons from the [Death Cap] mushroom?

No. The poisonous compounds are extremely stable. You cannot remove them by soaking, cooking or drying.

He's likely being a bit cautious in his words.
I still think he has something to say.

No comment re Xanthe, though I have found myself skipping reading her opinions.
Yes, they'll look at the history of the person, and where the mushrooms came from. Also it could be manslaughter, or not manslaughter, or a tragic accident. And these are three unnatural deaths that should not have happened. Did I miss anything?

Xanthe: a person can survive without a foot, but not so much without a torso. Ah, the wisdom one gains from a criminology degree.

From what I read, anyone of average intelligence who has lived in that part of VIC for any reasonable amount of time could not remain unaware of the dangers of the various types of mushrooms that grow around the trees there.

I gather that there are permanent warning signs posted and that there are seasonal warnings via the media.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Littlebit62