Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RSBM.

She bought dried mushrooms at the mysterious Asian grocery. So, why get rid of the dehydrator if she didn't use it to prepare the meal? If anything she would be rehydrating the mushrooms to make Beef Wellington, not dehydrating them.
Good point!

About the manner in which the meal was served. I think at the time of preparation she expected her husband and planned to poison him. Accordingly she made five poisoned beef wellingtons, plus some unpoisoned for herself and her children. She put the five poisoned meals on the bench and allowed the guests to choose their own and take them to the eating place. She then surreptitiously switched the remaining meal with an unpoisoned one before eating it herself.

The duxelle is better with dehydrated mushrooms at least that is according to recipes I'm aware of. Moo. It assists with keeping the pastry sealed from the meat and leakage of meat juices into the pastry.Moo
"For the meal, the rehydrated mushrooms were mixed with other mushrooms purchased from a supermarket and cooked into the beef Wellington dish."

She doesn't remember where she bought the fungi. Cough!
Months previously.

Months later I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of the little coffee shop I went into in Sydney.

It wasn't one I'd been to before, and to tell the truth, remembering the name of one of the many coffee shops I wandered into wasn't a priority.

I also couldn't tell you the name of some of the asian groceries stores I randomly went into on one of my trips.

I don't find this hard to believe at all.

She sounds just like me :D

Ngl, I have a sudden craving to try making a homemade beef Wellington now.

What do we make of the children supposedly eating the BW the next day with the duxelles scraped off? Would it leave behind enough of a trace to cause harm?

It is quite puzzling how she was released after one night in hospital, but 3 others died and one is still critical. I’m really interested in what Ian has to say when he hopefully recovers.

Months previously.

Months later I couldn't for the life of me remember the name of the little coffee shop I went into in Sydney.

It wasn't one I'd been to before, and to tell the truth, remembering the name of one of the many coffee shops I wandered into wasn't a priority.

I also couldn't tell you the name of some of the asian groceries stores I randomly went into on one of my trips.

I don't find this hard to believe at all.

She sounds just like me :D
You think she would at least remember the street it was in.

According to the most recent report EP also presented to hospital on 30th July, returned on 31st and was transported by Ambulance to Monash Hospt in Melbourne with similar symptoms (though obviously not as severe and life threatening as her in-laws). So is it the idea of those who believe she is guilty of intent to poison that she deliberately poisoned herself with a bit of the duxelle from the wellington?? It's possible that the hospital did tox tests on her also and if so we will find out in time. But I doubt she was faking it.Moo
No, my idea is that she reported symptoms that weren't necessarily confirmed by the hospital's observation. She was taken in as a matter of caution. Transported by ambulance between hospitals and a saline drip are neither here nor there. Given liver-protective drugs, well that could be of significance if true.

I find it strange she would buy fresh mushrooms for the dish, and also remember to pull out months old dehydrated mushrooms to add to it.I wonder how they were stored.

Edit: if dehydrated ones are supposedly best, and she was a good cook, and she wanted to impress her guests with her meal, you’d think she would go and purchase enough new dehydrated mushrooms so she didn’t have to substitute with button.

For me it’s one or the other. You go and buy enough dehydrated mushrooms, or you would use all fresh button mushrooms.

"Patterson has told police she purchased a package of mushrooms from an Asian grocery store in Mount Waverley at least three months before the lunch. The package of mushrooms she bought was hand-labelled, she said.

For the meal, the rehydrated mushrooms were mixed with other mushrooms purchased from a supermarket and cooked into the beef Wellington dish."

So why did she need to use a dehydrator, when the mushrooms were rehydrated? :oops:

Ngl, I have a sudden craving to try making a homemade beef Wellington now.

What do we make of the children supposedly eating the BW the next day with the duxelles scraped off? Would it leave behind enough of a trace to cause harm?

It is quite puzzling how she was released after one night in hospital, but 3 others died and one is still critical. I’m really interested in what Ian has to say when he hopefully recovers.
I think that it's crucial that Ian makes a full recovery. If foul play has occurred, we are going to get a good back story. I wonder if she has visited him in hospital?

No, my idea is that she reported symptoms that weren't necessarily confirmed by the hospital's observation. She was taken in as a matter of caution. Transported by ambulance between hospitals and a saline drip are neither here nor there. Given liver-protective drugs, well that could be of significance if true.
Yes, I assume the hospital would be able to confirm her symptoms and if she was lying about diarrohea (sp?!) etc. Moo

She admitted she lied to police about WHEN she disposed the dehydrator only because they found it. IMO.
She also admitted lying about the food dehydrator dumped at a nearby when she was first questioned by police and that ex-husband accused her of poisoning his parents.

He knows her better than anyone and suspected her straight up.
It says in an article I posted just before that she used rehydrated mushrooms, so why the need for the dehydrator?

She doesn't remember where she bought the fungi. Cough!
One article said she couldn’t remember and a different article said she did remember. Frustrating.

But either way it seems unlikely that the poisonous mushrooms came from a market if no one else became ill or died over the last several months. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper