Australia - 3 dead after eating wild mushrooms, Leongatha, Victoria, Aug 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She would have dehydrated the button mushrooms Imo
maybe the ones she didn't use in the dish were dehydrated.
no other reason to use a dehydrator to cook the meal, she rehydrated the Asian food store mushrooms.

unless the dehydrator was multifunction and also worked as a hydrator.
Is that a possibility?

I'm not seeing guilt here.
I think it's normal that she be investigated as she cooked the food..
But what was her motive?
There isn't one, is there?

Dumping dehydrator could just have been normal dumping because it was broken or whatever.

She was independently wealthy, had quite a property portfolio in her own name.. didn't need money and no evidence she would have benefited from the estates of the dead, is there?

A packet of licorice would do the job. Or a colonoscopy pre op treatment.
I wonder if the hospital would have wanted her to vomit so they could potentially examine her stomach contents, if there was already the suspicion the guests died from poisonous mushrooms. Eating something to cause diarrhoea and then presenting to hospital is risky imo. But definitely, I agree what you’re saying is possible. Especially if she wasn’t thinking straight (or wasn’t too bright?).

You think she would at least remember the street it was in.
Apparently the mushrooms were said to come from an Asian grocery store in Mt Waverley.

Mt Waverley (and the next suburb, Glen Waverley) have a large Asian population and a LOT of Asian grocery stores. I have been known to wander around these areas and browse at several such stores in the one street, buying a few interesting items that caught my eye in each one. I would struggle to recall which items I bought at each store months down the track, even if I had receipts, as the name of the store would be in Chinese/ Vietnamese/ Korean etc and I would not be able to make the connection in my mind. No hope at all if I threw out the receipts.

So this part of her story, at least, is quite plausible.

no other reason to use a dehydrator to cook the meal, she rehydrated the Asian food store mushrooms.

Is that a possibility?

But what was her motive?

Dumping dehydrator could just have been normal dumping because it was broken or whatever.

She was independently wealthy, had quite a property portfolio in her own name.. didn't need money and no evidence she would have benefited from the estates of the dead, is there?
Why would you dehydrate mushrooms from the local supermarket?

Is that a possibility?

But what was her motive?

All the receipes call for reducing the moisture content of mushrooms as much as possible - she was a good cook if reports are correct. So I figure she used the dehydrator to dehydrate the buttons. That's quicker than reducing over the stove and probably gets rid of most moisture. But Jmo. If there's no evidence of toxic mushrooms after testing dehydrator then it'll be interesting to see where this goes from here. I think support from credible witnesses that the ex was hostile to her might help her version of events when it comes to why she may have panicked and dumped the dehydrator which she admits to have done. Moo

ETA: Or wait, I may have missed something - is she claiming the button mushrooms were already dried/de-hydrated? I thought she bought two kinds - normal un-dried buttons (for the duxelle) and dried mushrooms from Asian Store some time prior - which she also used in the duxelle. Will re check the sources.

EBM: getting confused with hydrate/de-hydrate - had to correct in my post. Hydrate - to add moisture; de-hydrate - to remove moisture.

Last edited:
Apparently the mushrooms were said to come from an Asian grocery store in Mt Waverley.

Mt Waverley (and the next suburb, Glen Waverley) have a large Asian population and a LOT of Asian grocery stores. I have been known to wander around these areas and browse at several such stores in the one street, buying a few interesting items that caught my eye in each one. I would struggle to recall which items I bought at each store months down the track, even if I had receipts, as the name of the store would be in Chinese/ Vietnamese/ Korean etc and I would not be able to make the connection in my mind. No hope at all if I threw out the receipts.

So this part of her story, at least, is quite plausible.
When I posted that comment, I thought she had purchased them in the city, not Mt Waverley.

Reactions: MrJ
people use dehydrators for leftovers frequently.

I wonder if the hospital would have wanted her to vomit so they could potentially examine her stomach contents, if there was already the suspicion the guests died from poisonous mushrooms. Eating something to cause diarrhoea and then presenting to hospital is risky imo. But definitely, I agree what you’re saying is possible. Especially if she wasn’t thinking straight (or wasn’t too bright?).
If she had nothing to hide, why wasn't she honest from the start? I'm with her husband.

All the receipes call for reducing the moisture content of mushrooms as much as possible - she was a good cook if reports are correct. So I figure she used the dehydrator to dehydrate the buttons. That's quicker than reducing over the stove and probably gets rid of most moisture. But Jmo. If there's no evidence of toxic mushrooms after testing dehydrator then it'll be interesting to see where this goes from here. I think support from credible witnesses that the ex was hostile to her might help her version of events when it comes to why she may have panicked and dumped the dehydrator which she admits to have done. Moo
not at all sure the hostility continued after they divorced in 2021?
She may well have disposed of it because it was simply malfunctioning or she had decided to buy a new one or a better one.

I'm not seeing evidence for a case against her from what I have read so far.

Well unfortunately for her the 3 most important aspects are still red flags.

She conveniently can not identify the shop' she purchased the mushrooms from....... :rolleyes:

And she did indeed dispose a food dehydrator immediately after the poisoning.:rolleyes:

Eating a part of it doesn't give her a pass either...
her symptoms where extremely mild curiously. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile her guests died and one nearly died.

I knew she had eaten it but was struggling to find a rep source.

Thank you @PrimeSuspect!

and her symptoms could've been faked - bad stomach pains and diarrhea - she just has to tell them she has been in the bathroom having diarrhea - they're not going to ask her to prove it

Asian grocery stores are just stores like any other.

The days of asian people mostly selling from market gardens are long gone.

Many people buy from Asian grocery stores.

They've become mainstream.

As far as I know all the products there have to pass all the usual standards and rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajonesey